Forget trading Youkilis, trade Adrian Gonzalez

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Forget trading Youkilis, trade Adrian Gonzalez

You want to trade Gonzo?  Why?

The point of making a trade is to get better either in the short term or long term.  Trading Gonzo for anything lessthan 2 top line pitchers that are tied up for years to come doesn't make the team better.  And they aren't going to get 2 top line starters.

Unless the starters play better (not just for a couple of weeks against weak teams) then nothing the Sox do will make the team a contender.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

But if he's just going through a slump why would we trade AGon?  And if he's not just going through a slump wouldn't scouts pick up something, or something would show up in his medical?

How about some patience?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If we knew Youk could give us 1.6 solid years, it could make sense, but that is never going to be a certainty.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Not buying this any more then I would trading Pedroia.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Forget trading Youkilis, trade Adrian Gonzalez:
    [QUOTE]If we knew Youk could give us 1.6 solid years, it could make sense, but that is never going to be a certainty.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Well 2 things

1)  do we think Youk could bounce back/stay healthy if he moved to 1B.  Personally, I never liked him at 3B other than maybe 2004 when he was a spring chicken

2)  What team who needs a 1B can afford to take on that contract?  The Cubs?  The Orioles?  The # of teams (ie demand) would be low........therefore, it would be a buyer's market....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

No one can afford Agonz's contract.  If there is more than two teams that can afford Agonz, then why didnt they try to go after Fielder or Pujols?  

Therefore, no one want Agonz's contract except the Yankees.  Or maybe to the Cubs if Theo is still in love with him!!

It is too late that Boston already signed him a long term contract.

Like I said it before, Theo messed it all up.  Now it is harder to move people around.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I love the way it's phrased -- "Theo was in love with him" ... like he was out there on some sort of island.

There wasn't a team out there in who wouldn't have wanted him when the Sox traded for him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Adrian Gonzalez batted .338 in 2011. He hit 27 homeruns, 117 RBI. He is a gold glove fielder at his position.

The homeruns were down from his normal with SD, but his BA and his RBI were better than or close to his best MLB numbers.

You want to give up on a guy like this after 6 weeks with only 2 homeruns!!!

I give up.

People have this love for players like J.D. Drew and Daisuke , who constantly underperformed, they love Youk and Ellsbury , who spend more time in the doctors office than on the field....but they want to trade a healthy , productive potential All Star because he is having a bit of a slow start???

Somebody's crazy , and it's not me!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The Dodgers are the team: AGon  for Ethier and their two top AAA pitching prospects. I agree if you are looking for a return of talent--AGon is the guy. Move Youk to first and try to extend Ethier. If that doesn't work take next years draft picks plus the two prospects. AGon would be happy with a contender in Southern CA and if Youk doesn't pan out don't resign him.

As things are today--trading AGon would make sense--if we get Ells and CC by the break and add Ethier that's a healthy combo. Plus Ethier and Pedroia are friends.

The Brewers.

The Cubs.

The D'Backs

The Nationals.

The Marlins.

As I'm naming names I'm thinking of their talent base.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

In response to "Re: Forget trading Youkilis, trade Adrian Gonzalez": [QUOTE]Adrian Gonzalez batted .338 in 2011. He hit 27 homeruns, 117 RBI. He is a gold glove fielder at his position. The homeruns were down from his normal with SD, but his BA and his RBI were better than or close to his best MLB numbers. You want to give up on a guy like this after 6 weeks with only 2 homeruns!!! I give up. People have this love for players like J.D. Drew and Daisuke , who constantly underperformed, they love Youk and Ellsbury , who spend more time in the doctors office than on the field....but they want to trade a healthy , productive potential All Star because he is having a bit of a slow start??? Somebody's crazy , and it's not me! Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE] Great post! +1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Wondering if any of the 'Gonzo is a Bum' contingent learned anything from the David Ortiz struggles of 09 or 10.

I guess the Angels should get rid of Pujols too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Adrian Gonzalez batted .338 in 2011. He hit 27 homeruns, 117 RBI. He is a gold glove fielder at his position. The homeruns were down from his normal with SD, but his BA and his RBI were better than or close to his best MLB numbers. You want to give up on a guy like this after 6 weeks with only 2 homeruns!!! I give up. People have this love for players like J.D. Drew and Daisuke , who constantly underperformed, they love Youk and Ellsbury , who spend more time in the doctors office than on the field....but they want to trade a healthy , productive potential All Star because he is having a bit of a slow start??? Somebody's crazy , and it's not me!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I understand where you're coming from, but it's a bit overstated. Drew and DiceK have more than their fair share of critics. I defended Drew because I thought the critics were over the top, but I was never any great fan of his.

And as for Youk and Ellsbury, to be fair to Jake, his injuries were from collisions, people running into him, which is far different than Youk's which is simply from moving around.

But your point about Gonzalez is on point. It's like some posters have never watched baseball before. Players slump. Power hitters go through dry spells. I said Gonzalez will be a 30-100-.300 guy at the end of the season, and I stand by it.

He's been too good of a hitter. When he gets hot, I think he'll be far past red hot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]Adrian Gonzalez batted .338 in 2011. He hit 27 homeruns, 117 RBI. He is a gold glove fielder at his position. The homeruns were down from his normal with SD, but his BA and his RBI were better than or close to his best MLB numbers. You want to give up on a guy like this after 6 weeks with only 2 homeruns!!! I give up. People have this love for players like J.D. Drew and Daisuke , who constantly underperformed, they love Youk and Ellsbury , who spend more time in the doctors office than on the field....but they want to trade a healthy , productive potential All Star because he is having a bit of a slow start??? Somebody's crazy , and it's not me!

Not to mention, fine with letting Beltre' and Vmart walk away. Fine with trading Lowrie and Reddick what amounts to next to nothing, as it's turning out.
    But don't trade away Youk or Balkholz, and make sure you hang on to that stellar defensive whiz behind the plate!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Talking about trading Gonzo now, because he is off to a slow start is ridiculous...and basing tthe fact that we don;t need him because Youk can play first not only counts on Youk staying healthy it counts on Middlebrooks continuing to be rpodcutive.....2 very big ifs. That said....I am of the belief no one is untouchable if you can make the team better.....if for example the Dodgers wanted him and you could trade him, CC prospects and Cash , for Eithier and Kershaw....you jump at it....but a deal like that or anything similar isnt going to happen ....so what is the benefit in trading Gonzo?.....to free up the team from the big contract?.....who do you spend the saved money on?....and when that player also struggles or slumps.....do you go through this all over again?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Gonz will be fine......same slump Ortiz had.......Sox are transitioning/may have to wait until after this year...don't dump proven commodities...just get rid of the dead weight.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]The Dodgers are the team: AGon  for Ethier and their two top AAA pitching prospects. I agree if you are looking for a return of talent--AGon is the guy. Move Youk to first and try to extend Ethier. If that doesn't work take next years draft picks plus the two prospects. AGon would be happy with a contender in Southern CA and if Youk doesn't pan out don't resign him. As things are today--trading AGon would make sense--if we get Ells and CC by the break and add Ethier that's a healthy combo. Plus Ethier and Pedroia are friends. The Brewers. The Cubs. The D'Backs The Nationals. The Marlins. As I'm naming names I'm thinking of their talent base.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

interesting (but it would be a straight-up trade; you ain't getting top pitchign prospects on top of that)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Must be Tom Never make that move...

Tell me you wouldn't trade AGon for Ethier and two top pitching prospects today?

Are you worried in the hot CA sun he's going to warm up and hit 40 , drive in 130 and hit .340? I would hope he does...the deal would help the Dodgers and it would help the Sox even if Ethier walks at the end of the year. It would help the Sox even if Youk has a disastrous year at the plate which is probably not going to be the case with him playing 1 B.

Youk's $13 M + AGon's $21 M +Dice K's $10 M +  Ross $3 M--that's closing in on $50 M--you can do a lot with $50 M and that's with Ortiz still in the fold--without David you're in the $60 M range.

Tom I hate to say Never-- a lot can be gained by saying YES, YES, YES...

Thanks for being a good sport--that's what this forum is all about as you know.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

balkholz made me lol.
    are we trading a-gon just to get rid of a contract?
    why?
    sox print money.  they dont need to dump a contract.
    lest of all dump a gold glove firstbaseman who also happens to hit the blank out of the baseball.
    hitters go thru slumps.  it happens.  he will win us more games than he loses with his glove and when his bat heats up.
    let's all relax and pencil gonzo in at 1b and youk (when he gets off dl) in at 3b.  everyone's favorite flavor of the week would do well with another season in AAA.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

AMEN!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]Must be Tom Never make that move... Tell me you wouldn't trade AGon for Ethier and two top pitching prospects today? Are you worried in the hot CA sun he's going to warm up and hit 40 , drive in 130 and hit .340? I would hope he does...the deal would help the Dodgers and it would help the Sox even if Ethier walks at the end of the year. It would help the Sox even if Youk has a disastrous year at the plate which is probably not going to be the case with him playing 1 B. Youk's $13 M + AGon's $21 M +Dice K's $10 M +  Ross $3 M--that's closing in on $50 M--you can do a lot with $50 M and that's with Ortiz still in the fold--without David you're in the $60 M range. Tom I hate to say Never-- a lot can be gained by saying YES, YES, YES... Thanks for being a good sport--that's what this forum is all about as you know.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Hey it is fun discussion...I guess it would depend on the two pitching prospects....the FO would have to think they are almost ready now.....so we may be able to make subsequent moves. Remember we gave up one top pitching prospect and two other top everyday prospects in Rizzo and Fuentes.....so they should be real good.....as i said though no one is untouchable.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Andre Ethier is not too shabby in his own rite. Currently hitting .300 with 8 HR and good rbi production.

The Sox don't have much room for more pitching right now in Boston but they will be looking for a quality starter to come up with Barnes and Ranaudo as early as next spring.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

At least AGon shows up and plays every game...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It's easy to show up every day when you only run the bases at half-speed

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

Trade Gonzo?  Ya right... Smoke another one