Francoma too stubborn for his own good.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Francoma too stubborn for his own good.

Loyalty is one thing, but Coma sometimes just needs to adjust.  Albers is struggling; Morales is like playing Russian roulette, eventually you'll die; Wheeler has been very effective lately.  You think he'd eventually reason this out.  He cost the Sox the game last night by mismanaging the pen.  I'm not a Coma basher and believe he's earned the right to manage the Sox as long as he wants, but he does drive this old school guy crazy sometimes.

As a legitimate MVP candidate, Gonzo can't have 0-4 nights in the 3 hole with so many others missing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: Francoma too stubborn for his own good.

I'm right there with you frankn.

As for Gonzo, he is no longer a legitimate MVP candidate, IMO.  The only offensive category he leads in is BAve, and that is not likely to last to the end of the year.  He no longer leads in RBI, and was never close in HRs.  And he has been pretty horrible in the clutch for the better part of 3 months now.  I still love the guy, but he is another one what did really well early in the season, but recently he has been disappointing.  On this team alone he is not the MVP.  Pedey and Ells are both more valuable.  As is, dare I say it (because I wanted him traded before the season), Papelbon for that matter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Francoma too stubborn for his own good.:
    [QUOTE]Loyalty is one thing, but Coma sometimes just needs to adjust.  Albers is struggling; Morales is like playing Russian roulette, eventually you'll die; Wheeler has been very effective lately.  You think he'd eventually reason this out.  He cost the Sox the game last night by mismanaging the pen.  I'm not a Coma basher and believe he's earned the right to manage the Sox as long as he wants, but he does drive this old school guy crazy sometimes. As a legitimate MVP candidate, Gonzo can't have 0-4 nights in the 3 hole with so many others missing.
    Posted by frankn[/QUOTE]

The bottom line is this ...

#1 Beyond Bard, Aceves and Pap we have serious issues with our pen.
    #2 Adrian is in a slump, along with CC, Youk, Salty and Teks yearly nose dive
    #3 Our lineup can't stay healthy for a week straight.
    #4 Beyond Lester, Beck and possibly Bedard we will more often than not need to score a ton of runs to win.
    #5 When our team is healthy, Francona doesn't need to play McD in RF against lefties because Reddick is simply a better ballplayer.

Thats what most honest and realistic Sox fans are thinking but may be afraid to say.
      Hopefully we get everyone healthy and can go on a nice streak before the PS but we have these issues to overcome.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I'd like to see Crawford in the 2 slot so long as Pedroia is cleaning up. Burying him in the middle of insignificant hitters is not helping anyone.

Struggling or not most teams would kill for a 1 thru 4 of:

Elles
    Crawford
    AGon
    Pedroia

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Have to nitpick on you craze.

Morales (who I am not that big a fan of) and Wheeler have both been very dependable out of the bullpen over the last month.  It's just that Francona has Wheeler in his doghouse and tends to use Morales as a lefty matchup guy.  Albers is the serious issue in the pen right now, and Francona just doesn't want to see it.  He has been overused and has returned to the pitcher the second worst team in baseball couldn't find a use for.  Meanwhile, over his last 10 outings, Wheeler has an ERA of 0.00 over 11 2/3rds innings with 10 Ks and a WHIP under 1.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Francoma too stubborn for his own good.:
    [QUOTE]I'd like to see Crawford in the 2 slot so long as Pedroia is cleaning up. Burying him in the middle of insignificant hitters is not helping anyone. Struggling or not most teams would kill for a 1 thru 4 of: Elles Crawford AGon Pedroia
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Burrito, I think Carl will hit well wherever he plays once he breaks out of whatever funk hes in.  Francona tends to keep his higher OBP guys at the top of the lineup. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I'd like to see Pedroia hitting 3rd and Gonzo hitting 4th, but I know that is not going to happen.  I've never felt Gonzo had the speed or OBP to be the #3 hitter in this lineup.  And while Gonzo still has a slight edge in OBP to Pedroia right now, Pedey has been on base more times, walking 27 more times and striking out 25 fewer times than Gonzalez.  So, if Crawford is moved up to bat 2nd, Pedey should follow at #3 and Gonzo #4.  This also eliminates having 3 lefties in a row at the top of the lineup late in games against a tough lefty reliever.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I'd agree with that, I would move AGon to 4th so long as Youk is out. Pitchers will not take Crawford lightly if he is up in the line-up, he needs to be up there while we are short a couple of guys.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Just getting more upset as I think about it, how in the hell is McD batting 2nd while Carl Crawford is available?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

McDonald over Crawford makes sense when a lefty is on the mound.  But neither should be in the 2 hole today.  Aviles, Lowrie, Scutaro or Lavarnway would all be better choices for hitting 2nd against Duffy, IMO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Loyalty is one thing, but Coma sometimes just needs to adjust.  Albers is struggling; Morales is like playing Russian roulette, eventually you'll die; Wheeler has been very effective lately.  You think he'd eventually reason this out.  He cost the Sox the game last night by mismanaging the pen.  I'm not a Coma basher and believe he's earned the right to manage the Sox as long as he wants, but he does drive this old school guy crazy sometimes. As a legitimate MVP candidate, Gonzo can't have 0-4 nights in the 3 hole with so many others missing.
    Posted by frankn[/QUOTE]

'I'm not a Coma basher'.  Good one.  If you're calling him Coma, you're a basher.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Francoma too stubborn for his own good.:
    [QUOTE]McDonald over Crawford makes sense when a lefty is on the mound.  But neither should be in the 2 hole today.  Aviles, Lowrie, Scutaro or Lavarnway would all be better choices for hitting 2nd against Duffy, IMO.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

The promising but green Lavarnway hitting 2nd? Aviles? I'm not surprised by this comment.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Of course you aren't.  You are a Yankee fan who spends his Sundays on a Red Sox board.  And numbers are too confusing for you to understand.  But I will respond with numbers despite that, if only to justify myself to posters who do have an open mind.  Over the last 7 games, Lavarnway and Lowrie are both hitting .273.  Aviles is hitting .217 (.294 since coming to Boston).  McDonald?  .133, with an OPS in the low .400s.  He should be hitting 9th if he has to be in the lineup at all.  He is clearly the weakest hitter in the lineup, and has been for an entire season, not just the last 7 or so games (which is how MLB.com breaks down team stat comparisons).  But never mind reality.  You just keep making moronic and offensive statements, that's what you are good at.

I do wish the Yankees would promote you to field manager.  Your baseball acumen would do such wonders for us as Red Sox fans.  Have you applied yet?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Posted by frankn[/QUOTE]

A silly OP and worse title.  What loyalty.  Albers is new this year.  Francona has used him a lot because he is has been effective.  Going into last night's disastrous 6th, Albers had an ERA of under 2.5.  Recently, he has struggled, but it was/is hard to say when that kind of trend is long or short term.  As it turned out, Albers was lousy, but so was Wakefield, and Morales gave up a triple to clear the bases against the first batter he faced. 

Every single reliever on this team, including Pap and Bard, have had bad stretches this season.  Right now those two look terrific, but I guarantee that if either one has a bad inning, frankn will start another thread about excessive loyalty.

And, FWIW, AGon has struggled since the all-star game, but Francona keeps starting him.  Another case of excessive loyalty--that being defined as any time frankn is unhappy with a player's performance in a particular game. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

A question:  I was listening (on and off) to the game so I don't know if Tito had another arm warming up when he sent in Albers - cause it seemed like he was in there for a god-awfully long time (of course, coughing up that many runs can take a while).  Seems Tito doesn't have two guys warming up when needing middle relief, thus if the first guy comes in and gets whacked, we gotta stick with him for awhile.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronho. Show ronho's posts

I love Wake but we all know that he can implode in a second. At the end of the 5th he had thrown 96-I think_ pitches. Why wasn't there someone warming up just in case? Albers didnt start tossing until the damage had started and I don't think he had time to get ready before he was called in.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

ronho, I agree, he waits too long.
    Fri. he let Aceves pitch the ninth , in effect making him ineligible until the Texas series. Wheeler could have pitched the ninth with Bard as a fall back.
    If you get 6 innings out of Wake be grateful and move on to the pen just as he did with Miller.

This thing of not DL'ing Papi is rediculous. He's been out for a week and we are short of players. Theo--"retroactive" him to last Sunday and bring a bat up or another lefty reliever.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Maxy,

Of course you're right I apologize.  Managers shouldn't have to deal with short and long term trends.  If you had your way Foulke would still be out there.  The post doesn't mean you give up on Albers (who has had a good year, but has been terrible lately).  It's stating that you might give someone who has pitched better of late, like Wheeler, a shot.  Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results is the definition of insanity.  But you fully understand that don't you twerp.