Francona More and More Showing His Discomfort With Wakefield on Roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Francona More and More Showing His Discomfort With Wakefield on Roster

I've always thought that Wakefield has been on Fracona's radar the past few years as someone he begrudgingly trusts. He likes the results when they are good from Tim, but basically he really showed his true colors in today's article about Salty "enjoying" catching Tim. Every quote is a negative from Tito..."when he keeps the ball up..." ... "I'm the one who panics" that a catcher can't receive his knucklers. It's obvious Tito just doesn't trust him to go out and throw 6 solid innings. He feels he has to have a "backup" reliever/starter for him. I think he just overmanages when Tim is on the hill...undermanages it seems when it comes to conventional relievers, who he just puts guys in bizarro spots.

Maybe if he micro-managed the way he does with even throwing Wakefield (let's face it, he does everything he can to KEEP HIM OFF THE MOUND)...the extended breaks of service for Tim. Will he get bombed today? That's Tito's mindset. Instead of, here's a guy who has for years and years thrown big games at big times in clutch spots. ... Epstein has a PR nightmare in that you don't release Wakefield right now, something I'm sure if it were up to Francona, would have been done in the offseason.

Tito did not want to use Lowell last year, until he was basically out of options from a depth standpoint. I feel Wakefield is 2010 Lowell....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Re: Francona More and More Showing His Discomfort With Wakefield on Roster

Instead of, here's a guy who has for years and years thrown big games at big times in clutch spots. ... Epstein has a PR nightmare in that you don't release Wakefield right now

Evidently, since back surgery in 2009, you aren't paying attention. Wakefield has performed so poorly that, if it was almost any other player but Lowell or Varitek, he would have been traded waived elsewere or released.

PR nightmare is not a reason to make a roster construction decision. There was hardly a sound when Oki was sent packing, even though, since his return from 2010 DL, his outings and numbers were quite solid in middle of the pen role. Wakefield has been given every chance since the second of 2009. Unless he is in the rotation, he's a waste of a roster spot. If he's in the rotation, he's a 5+ ERA train wreck that will break down if he starts more than a game or two. The innings should be invested in the future, not the past.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

In Response to Francona More and More Showing His Discomfort With Wakefield on Roster:
    [QUOTE]I've always thought that Wakefield has been on Fracona's radar the past few years as someone he begrudgingly trusts. He likes the results when they are good from Tim, but basically he really showed his true colors in today's article about Salty "enjoying" catching Tim. Every quote is a negative from Tito..."when he keeps the ball up..." ... "I'm the one who panics" that a catcher can't receive his knucklers. It's obvious Tito just doesn't trust him to go out and throw 6 solid innings. He feels he has to have a "backup" reliever/starter for him. I think he just overmanages when Tim is on the hill...undermanages it seems when it comes to conventional relievers, who he just puts guys in bizarro spots. Maybe if he micro-managed the way he does with even throwing Wakefield (let's face it, he does everything he can to KEEP HIM OFF THE MOUND)...the extended breaks of service for Tim. Will he get bombed today? That's Tito's mindset. Instead of, here's a guy who has for years and years thrown big games at big times in clutch spots. ... Epstein has a PR nightmare in that you don't release Wakefield right now, something I'm sure if it were up to Francona, would have been done in the offseason. Tito did not want to use Lowell last year, until he was basically out of options from a depth standpoint. I feel Wakefield is 2010 Lowell....
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE] TITO did not want to use LOWELL last year.. unless he had to.

Loweell for much of last year was actually a bright spot for this team... it figures TITO would not see that- He is not too bright.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

In Response to Re: Francona More and More Showing His Discomfort With Wakefield on Roster:
    [QUOTE] Instead of, here's a guy who has for years and years thrown big games at big times in clutch spots. ... Epstein has a PR nightmare in that you don't release Wakefield right now Evidently, since back surgery in 2009, you aren't paying attention. Wakefield has performed so poorly that, if it was almost any other player but Lowell or Varitek, he would have been traded waived elsewere or released. PR nightmare is not a reason to make a roster construction decision. There was hardly a sound when Oki was sent packing, even though, since his return from 2010 DL, his outings and numbers were quite solid in middle of the pen role. Wakefield has been given every chance since the second of 2009. Unless he is in the rotation, he's a waste of a roster spot. If he's in the rotation, he's a 5+ ERA train wreck that will break down if he starts more than a game or two. The innings should be invested in the future, not the past.  
    Posted by SoxSoldRed[/QUOTE]
    ALL the more reason that TITO should have taken last night's game by the cajones and played for the win... He knows he has a weaker pitcher going tonight and then it will be whatever he can do... including allowing TIM to be shelled if need be.....  He could have used BARD last night.... Or Wheeler more, or Paps earlier, or Hill more, and then just said "F" it tonight it is timmy until Dawn.... LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Francona More and More Showing His Discomfort With Wakefield on Roster:
    [QUOTE]I've always thought that Wakefield has been on Fracona's radar the past few years as someone he begrudgingly trusts. He likes the results when they are good from Tim, but basically he really showed his true colors in today's article about Salty "enjoying" catching Tim. Every quote is a negative from Tito..."when he keeps the ball up..." ... "I'm the one who panics" that a catcher can't receive his knucklers. It's obvious Tito just doesn't trust him to go out and throw 6 solid innings. He feels he has to have a "backup" reliever/starter for him. I think he just overmanages when Tim is on the hill...undermanages it seems when it comes to conventional relievers, who he just puts guys in bizarro spots. Maybe if he micro-managed the way he does with even throwing Wakefield (let's face it, he does everything he can to KEEP HIM OFF THE MOUND)...the extended breaks of service for Tim. Will he get bombed today? That's Tito's mindset. Instead of, here's a guy who has for years and years thrown big games at big times in clutch spots. ... Epstein has a PR nightmare in that you don't release Wakefield right now, something I'm sure if it were up to Francona, would have been done in the offseason. Tito did not want to use Lowell last year, until he was basically out of options from a depth standpoint. I feel Wakefield is 2010 Lowell....
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]Tito was reluctant to use Lowell because he could not play a position in the field very well anymore and struggled with pain running the bases.

I think you read too much into his comments about Wakefield which are simply stating the obvious. His knuckleball is hard to catch and nearly impossible to contain runners on base from stealing on. When he is on he can be a revelation, when he is off hitting a ball off of a T is more challenging to MLB hitters.

And throughout his career there is no predicting when the good or bad Wake will show up, often even in the same game.

The first time I saw Wake was in his first season in Boston. In those days before the all the information we get today all I could really follow on the RS from LA was the box scores. So when the RS came to Anaheim I mad sure the night I went was when this new stud the RS got to pair with Rocket was going. After all I had seen Roger before. Based on his double digit wins at that point in the season I assumed that Wakefield was a power pitcher.

I get to the game and through 6 Wake was up 3-0 and pitching a no hitter. In the 7th inning in the space of 5 minutes and 6 batters Wake went form no hitter, to shutout to down 5-3.

That game in a way is just a snapshot of who Tim Wakefield the pitcher has been his whole career. The only thing that changed in that game is the knuckleball stayed high. He is a pitcher who is quick to admit that when the ball leaves his hand he has no idea what the action will be on it or where it will end up in the strike zone as it makes its 62 MPH journey to the hitter.

As a conventional reliever the guy is not what any manager would like. Command is happen chance not solid mechanics and control can be elusive for him. He is so hard to catch that the RS rather eat their own children than have Tek catch him. Runners can advance at will on him via the SB and WP - PB are always a possibility, in fact the better his stuff the more probable. As a conventional reliever Tim is far from ideal and Tito's reluctance to use him in that role is not a negative reflection on Tito or Tim.

His place on the roster this year was for just this situation, so let's hope the good Timmy appears today.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

You left off the part where runners have a good chance of reaching 1st on strike 3.

I was hoping to see a different face. Oh well, Oki was ushered out, so an old face is needed to balance things out. Just pure chance that Wakefield is the old face that keeps hanging around.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-dude. Show The-dude's posts

Wake's pitching is something I don't trust either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

bla bla and bla. these next 2 or 3 games will determine wake's future. if he gets bombed twice in a row, its over. but timmy's not the owner's spoiled son. he's on the roster for he regularly surprises when the chips are down. he could easily go out and throw 7 innings of shutout ball while walking only 2 and striking out 7. if he does this 2 out of 3 times, he wont be going anywhere. at best, he's the one guy u dont worry about. no arm strength, tommy john isssues. he's the perfect difth starter guy. he's just there. he's the SHAQ of the red sox. 

in a heartbeat the celts will bring him back for the same reson wake cant be put to sleep: they both possess a unoque skillset. shaq is 7'1 and 360 pounds with stilll freakish athleticism who cannot pushed off the paint and commands double teams when healthy. you cant teach or recruit that. wake has that knuckler. his upside aint as high as shaq but when he's going good, it could be as he eats innings and can match up with the aces of any team. he just cant do it for a season or for more than 3 startts in a row. 

for what he's being paid like shaq (vet minimum), lets cut him some slack. at least wake is active and healthy!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

The only way Wakefield has regularly surprised "when the chips are down" is a bad surprise. He's been washed up since the last half of 2009. Hansack had his moment in one spot start.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The tired cliche of Wake " eating innings " is simply not true. He does not give you any more innings than anyone else. And fewer and fewer good innings, as the years go by.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

If you go by any single game, you can draw a bias on any pitcher. Wake has filled all roles asked of him through out his career - which is every role a pitcher can fill.
    Not all pitchers can do this. Not all pitchers can win 193 games.

Those who prefer to look at the whole enchilada see his value.
    Those biased against the volatileness of the pitch will pick and choose at their own discretion.

I recall seeing Roger Moret pitch a brilliant shutout. Why is he not in the HOF?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

If you by all the games since the last half of 2009, Wakefield is washed up. If you go by any single game, one might claim that Wakefield is "an innings eater" and has good team value.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

and if you go by Lowrie from 2010...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Is this the quotes that this OP is referring to?

For manager Terry Francona, finding a catcher who can handle Wakefield is a yearly challenge. For somebody with no previous experience with a knuckleball, Saltalamacchia has been remarkably adept.

“I think he’s done a pretty good job,’’ Francona said. “For all those years, we always panicked — maybe I should say I did — about somebody catching Wake. We had such a difficult time doing it.

“I think [catching instructor] Gary Tuck probably has something to do with that. I think his drills and beating those guys up so much, I think the game’s actually sometimes easier. They’ve done a really good job.’’

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Francona More and More Showing His Discomfort With Wakefield on Roster:
    [QUOTE]Is this the quotes that this OP is referring to? For manager Terry Francona, finding a catcher who can handle Wakefield is a yearly challenge. For somebody with no previous experience with a knuckleball, Saltalamacchia has been remarkably adept. “I think he’s done a pretty good job,’’ Francona said. “For all those years, we always panicked — maybe I should say I did — about somebody catching Wake. We had such a difficult time doing it. “I think [catching instructor] Gary Tuck probably has something to do with that. I think his drills and beating those guys up so much, I think the game’s actually sometimes easier. They’ve done a really good job.’’
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]I think this is what Danny was objecting to but when taken in context all Francona is doing is stating the obvious:
    -----------------------------

Only three Cubs — Carlos Pena, Alfonso Soriano, and Reed Johnson — have significant experience against him.

“You don’t know,’’ said Francona. “It can be hit or miss. When he’s got that pitch working, I’m not sure it matters.

“There are certain types of hitters in the past who have given him trouble. It’s a difficult pitch to gauge. Just hope it keeps fluttering, because when he leaves it up, it can go out in a hurry.’’

-------------------------

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

and if you go by Lowrie from 2010...

you know that Lowrie is a butcher as an everyday SS.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I hear Hall is thinking about opening up a butcher's shop in Houston once his playing days near an end.
    I've already made my Autumn order.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

Wake has 1 hit, no runs through 4, so good so far!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

today Wake had 6.2 ip / 4 h / 1 r / 0 bb / 3 k

seems decent..?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

[QUOTE]I hear Hall is thinking about opening up a butcher's shop in Houston once his playing days near an end. I've already made my Autumn order.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Why wait till then. My order is scheduled to ship in late July!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Interesting how Softy posted at 7:28 and then not again...Could be that Wakefield pitched a good game?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting how Softy posted at 7:28 and then not again...Could be that Wakefield pitched a good game?
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

lowrie-ells-wakefield softy is having a bad day with his hate!!!!!!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

If Tim wins thirteen more games he will become the all time leader in wins for a Red Sox pitcher and I for one hope that happens while Grumpy,Whiney,and ignorant wanna be manager is still here. The dumbest manager with the best players money can buy can win titles,but I wouldn't hire him to manage a McDonalds franchise...Tim Wakefield has done more for the Boston community than Francoma has done for his own family.Congrats to Tim for his stelllar pitching performance this evening the Company man wins again!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Yeah, wish Theo had taken Softy's advice and dumped Wakefield. Oh well, good thing Theo listened to Softy on Dice K, err....

Seems Softy is as imperfect as those he relentlessly criticizes.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]I hear Hall is thinking about opening up a butcher's shop in Houston once his playing days near an end. I've already made my Autumn order.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]
    I heard this once from some guy on here.  Can't remember his name but I don't think he's on here anymore ... probably DFA'd by BDC.