Francona owes me big time...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Francona owes me big time...

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Middle of the lineup slugging in the playoff format. Look for the big K's against the cream of the pitching crop and the lack of the long balls in the tipping points of games. Top to bottom, I like the A's offense, over the Red Sox. Overall, Miggy is a man amongst boys, with Fielder as a worthy shield. Red Sox better hope A's upset Tigers and/or Miggy injury severely hampers him.

Well, this will be an interesting referendum on a decidely new school approach (no need for Ortiz/Manny-oriented line-up when you have non-stop pressure 1-9) vs. old school (a few easy outs don't matter when you have Ortiz/Manny [subsititue Fielder/Miggy) in a playoff format.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

AL ball is different. Changing games against good pitching in a playoff series requries a combination of elite slugging talent. The pitching will be formidable in the playoff format, both sides. It will be the Earl Weaver maxim that will decide the AL playoff winner.

Yes, well, like I said.  An interesting referendum.  Earl Weaver has yet to be proven wrong.  But what the Sox have right now is not NL style in the slightest.  They have 1-9 constant pressure, with a fair share of speed on the basepaths and literally no one who can't play long ball.  You and Earl could be right:  its the 3 run jack or go home.  The way I see it though is not that the Sox don't have that.  They just dont have it coalesced in the heart of the order.  Watch out, the number 9 guy can swat that 3 run dinger as easily as anyone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I always gave Tito credit for being a good overall manager, but made it clear it was time for him to go. And it was, because union labor had lost respect for him. 

That said, he's clearly the manager of the year, along with the A's manager. He'll be a heavy underdog if he wins the play-in game, but this Red Sox team has a serious roster flaw.

So if the Red Sox won 97 games with "a serious roster flaw," why wouldn't John Farrell be Manager of the Year?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Again, I am just really excited to hear what Bosox41 has to say about this.  

Oh, he'll show up when the Indians eventually lose.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

I do believe that the exact moment that I started the discussion "Nowhere To Hide", the Indians started playing like the playoff team they have become....and I mean the exact moment...Tongue Out

Hope to see TITO back @ Fenway !!!!!  Love to see the look on LUCCIANNO'$ face !!!!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The better left handing pitching that will come in the playoff format will be humbling for most Red Sox fans, but not surprising to me. 

Ellsbury and Victorinio and Pedroia might look capable for the occassional long ball during regular season, but the quality of the pitiching and defensive competition of each game goes up now. 

Ortiz, despite aggreagate season OPS, is a shadow of himself from the 2003 through 2007 days.

Napoli is little more than a feast on less than good pitching profile, which is what the regular season reflects

Look for a lot of tipping point game moments with K's for thse two.

Middlebrooks, as I said, will be the title hope barometer. He has the potential, but will need to come up big his first time on the big stage. Not an easy task.

Salty's had an outstanding plate year for a catcher, but he's an easy strikeout for matchup relief pitching. 

After that, Nava, Carp and Drew are a lot of easy outs with matchup relief. 

The exuberance over the top to bottom Red Sox lineup is not the reality of it's capability in the playoffs.

Noted in back-up drive.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

The better left handing pitching that will come in the playoff format will be humbling for most Red Sox fans, but not surprising to me. 

Ellsbury and Victorinio and Pedroia might look capable for the occassional long ball during regular season, but the quality of the pitiching and defensive competition of each game goes up now. 

Ortiz, despite aggreagate season OPS, is a shadow of himself from the 2003 through 2007 days.

Napoli is little more than a feast on less than good pitching profile, which is what the regular season reflects

Middlebrooks, as I said, will be the title hope barometer. He has the potential, but will need to come up big his first time on the big stage. Not an easy task.

Salty's had an outstanding plate year for a catcher, but he's an easy strikeout for matchup relief pitching. 

The exuberance over the top to bottom Red Sox lineup is not the reality of it's capability in the playoffs.

Noted in back-up drive.

" W O W "  !!!!!!!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Bill, Dad always told me that honesty was more important than loyalty. Remember, in 2007 regular season end, I said the Red Sox were on another level. In 2004, before the season, I said the Red Sox were better than the Yankees in the playoff format.

This team is grossly inferior to both of those teams. More importantly, there are at least 4 teams that are clearly better, one in the AL and 3 in the stronger NL. 

Oh man.  Now, I really wish I did note things on aback-up drive.  You were killing the Sox as they approached the 2007 playoffs.  During their late season skid in which they almost blew that huge division lead, you were leading the uproar on how bad the club was.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Bill, Dad always told me that honesty was more important than loyalty. Remember, in 2007 regular season end, I said the Red Sox were on another level. In 2004, before the season, I said the Red Sox were better than the Yankees in the playoff format.

This team is grossly inferior to both of those teams. More importantly, there are at least 4 teams that are clearly better, one in the AL and 3 in the stronger NL. 

Softy.....   Dad would also say ........   "SON, at this time of the year, must bring your A-game and make sure the defense, pitching & speed is on board too, the past 6 months has just been a cab ride" !!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I do believe that the exact moment that I started the discussion "Nowhere To Hide", the Indians started playing like the playoff team they have become....and I mean the exact moment...Tongue Out

Uh - correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you one of the "they (Red Sox) won in spite of Tito" squad?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

[QUOTE]

Uh - correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you one of the "they (Red Sox) won in spite of Tito" squad?

[/QUOTE]

He certainly was SY.  But, in fairness, his OP here is a humorous acknowledgement that he might have been off-base with that.  The 'exact moment' he is referring to is a thread he started when the Indians were scuffling very early in the season in which he was noting the struggles as proof positive that Francona only won because of the great rosters he had with the Sox and how a less-talented roster has totally exposed his ineptitude.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

He certainly was SY.  But, in fairness, his OP here is a humorous acknowledgement that he might have been off-base with that.  The 'exact moment' he is referring to is a thread he started when the Indians were scuffling very early in the season in which he was noting the struggles as proof positive that Francona only won because of the great rosters he had with the Sox and how a less-talented roster has totally exposed his ineptitude.

Spank me, Space   ha!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

No way RedSoxKimmi .... the players proved all too much in 2012 they had no core heart, Tito or not. If they were not going to listen to him in August 2011 when the team was in 1st they certainly were not going to 'come together' in a positive way in April 2012.

Anyhow, I like Tito enough that I am very happy to see the Indians where they are. 

Nothing was proven in 2012.  2012 was the mother of all black swans with BV.  His performance was so bad, in every aspect of the game, that it is virtually impossible to know what a real manager would've done.  No one could've managed after the Big Dump, but I'm not convinced that we wouldn't have won 90+ last year if Tito had managed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Wow, so many outs in the lineup. So many weaknesses and holes. Yet the Sox won 97 games.

So how is John Farrell not Manager of the Year again?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Wow, so many outs in the lineup. So many weaknesses and holes. Yet the Sox won 97 games.

So how is John Farrell not Manager of the Year again?

This happens every year.  Posters, usually the usual suspects, would come in criticizng Theo as a bad GM, Tito as a Bad manager, and Henry for being cheap, and would be at a complete loss to explain 94-95 wins.

Or the other Einstein's that claimed Tito had cost them 15 games halfway thru the season.  So you explain that an extra 15 wins would put them on pace for 130 wins, and they don't have the foggiest idea of what just happened.

And that, my friends, is why poker was invented.