Francona's Indians - last place and nowhere to hide...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Re: Francona's Indians - last place and nowhere to hide...

Congats francona.  I always liked you as a manager and think you got a bum rap in boston.  I hope you lose every game against the sox from now on but I'm happy that your team is doing well.

If we don't make it to the ws I hope you do.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Francona - outmanaged as usual!!!! LOLZ

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to stapleton's comment:

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

Oh wait .... Tito got a team that anyone could turn into forerunners.

Sorta like the Sox.

Except no one else, no matter how you classify it, color it, cramp it, be conflicted about it, made the Sox champions.   Not in my father's 93 year lifetime except back in 1917 and 1918, when he was in his toddling years.

And Bobby Valentine proved having championship calibre doesn't mean squat when you can't lead.  

that same group of players that rolled over and was responsible for the epic collapse in Sept 2011 a championship calibre team?   Hardly.  Also, if the wildcard had been around during that time between 1918 and the 90's -- the Sox would have won at leat one, probably more, championships during that stretch.  Just adding a little reality to the discussion.

That's realy not "adding reality."

From 1918 to 1961, there were only 8 teams in the AL.  The Sox only came in first out of 8 one time on that stretch.   With 8 teams (and no divisions), there was no need for a Wild Card.  THe 1960's were not exactly better, save 1967.  I think we can all assume the reason the Sox did not win in 1967 had nothing to do with a lack of a WC.  

The Sox did have 6 second place finishes in that '18-'61 tretch, and had a WC existed this is when they would have claimed it.  But earning a WC slot with 8 teams is just not the same as taking one with 14 or (now) 15 teams.  And assuming one or more championships out of 6 seasons is a little bit optimisitic.

So that really leaves 1969 to, say, 1993 as the era where a WC might have helped the Sox win a title.  They certainly fielded some good teams in that stretch, but so did a lot of ball clubs that did not win anything.  Again, the Sox would have qualified for the WC in 1973 and 1978 under the original rules (which were for 3 divisions, not two).  In 1977, they would have had a play-in game against Baltimore.

So, 8 or 9 more post-season chances and you guarantee one or more WS wins?  It's not that easy.  Ask Atlanta..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to stapleton's comment:

Also, if the wildcard had been around during that time between 1918 and the 90's -- the Sox would have won at leat one, probably more, championships during that stretch.  Just adding a little reality to the discussion.

Ha ha.  As notin said, no guarantees of this at all.  Before the Sox won it in 2004, they had a string of 10 playoff appearances with no championships.

Atlanta currently has a string of 12 playoff appearances with no championships.

Oakland has a string of 8.

Texas has 6.  And so on.

And of course we never know what would have happened, so your statement adds no reality, it's just completely pointless.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indiansbacker. Show Indiansbacker's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

had to laugh at his statement about Jimenez and sticking with him despite him once again on his way to losing 20....playing .375 ball or so and back to his Philly ways...no stars to bail him out there...

man i miss that guy's managerial wizardry...NOT

Bourn; Kipnis; A. Cabrera; Swisher; Reynolds; Santana; Brantley; Gomes; Stubbs.  Better than BoSox lineup, and you say Tribe is last place!  You are a fool!

Nasty Masty; McAllister; Jimenez, Kazmir; Klubler have been doing the job pitching (plus, number one pick Trevor Bauer, 96-mph Carlos Carrasco are getting tuned up in AAA to replace anyone on starting staff who falters).  Bull pen is first rate.  You know nothing about this year's Tribe.  You are a fool to call them "last place...."

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indiansbacker. Show Indiansbacker's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Indians record is the same as the LA Angels. Who is their manager?

I believe that you are incorrect, sir.  Tribe is in first place with record similar to your BoSox. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to Indiansbacker's comment:

In response to devildavid's comment:

Indians record is the same as the LA Angels. Who is their manager?

I believe that you are incorrect, sir.  Tribe is in first place with record similar to your BoSox. 

I was correct on the date I posted it. Things have changed since then, due to Francona's superior managerial abilities.