free agents

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

free agents

who do we want? 
    who is realistic

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: free agents

very little available.
    very little I want.

Anyone we get will be from a scrap heap after the coupe's are purchased. 
    Fielder/Reyes/Albert/Wilson/Papelbon/Bell.  After that the pickings are slim. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Trades made with some thought process. That's the way it was done before free agency.
    No big ticket players coming off career years.
    Use FA to round out the roster, not build it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Is Chris Carpenter healthy?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbfrogger. Show cbfrogger's posts

ss from balt....Hardy?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

Pretty sure they extended Hardy.  I'd like CJ Wilson, Mike Gonzalez, and Michael Cuddyer to be targets.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Let's sign some over thirty talent whose best days are behind them. After all we have a tradition to uphold with Theo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

The 2012 free agent class       ..........

Some are already signed, some have option years, and some are not worth their salt.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2001/04/potential-free-agents-for-2012.html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Cuddyer will be 33 years old and some on this board are clamoring to bring him in. Others want Willingham to play RF, even though he can't. Ugh!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Aramis Ramirez CHC  and make Youk, Agon and Ramirez rotate thru DH.

Try to get one of these SP
    Mark Buehrle CW
    Aaron Harang SD
    Rich Harden OAK
    Roy Oswalt PHI
    Brandon Webb ARI

RP is a crap shoot
    But resign Paps

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

In Response to Re: free agents:
    Aramis Ramirez CHC  and make Youk, Agon and Ramirez rotate thru DH. Try to get one of these SP Mark Buehrle CW Aaron Harang SD Rich Harden OAK Roy Oswalt PHI Brandon Webb ARI RP is a crap shoot But resign Paps
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

Add Broxton to the pen and Oswald and Harden along with Ramirez.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I didn't know Lee Harvey Oswald was still alive, let alone pitching in the major leagues.  But I like the idea of Aramis Ramirez at 3b and Youk at DH, and Agon at 1b, with some rotation going on so that each spends some time at DH.  Youk was pretty much brutal at 3b.  The other possibility is that Youk could then be traded to Cincy for some starting pitching in a 3-way, if opportunity presents itself.

Bullpen:  Broxton, if he can be had cheap, and two or three other relievers to equal what Papelbon was getting paid, if Paps is not resigned.

Starting pitching:  Wang, Buerhle, Carpenter and Oswalt would all be targets of mine, the first three on the cheap, the last would certainly get more of my attention and money than CJ Wilson, who was absolutely horrid against TB in playoff game #1. 

DH:  I'm torn on whether to keep Ortiz.  Disappointed that he was not a leader in the clubhouse who could put and end to the malaise.  Surpirsed at how productive he was (and fully aware how hard that production would be to replace).  But still think he could and should be replaced for a lot cheaper, but a RH bat.

OF:  would rather see a trade.  Reddick and Weiland for a young RH right-fielder.  Don't want any almost or just over 30s signed for 10+ million.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

SHOP YUK FOR STARTING PITCHING. I WILL OFFER YUK AND MINOR FOR FELIX, NOT SURE WHAT THEY WANT. YUK IS DONE ON RS BUT CAN BE GREAT ON A SECOND TIER TEAM. WE DO NOT HAVE AN ACE STARTER AND WE NEED ONE. LETS GO ALL OUT FOR AN ACE...I DONT GIVE A DAMN FOR MINOR'S. LETS GET A STARTING PITCHING WHICH IS NEEDED.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

First of all, we need a manager.  How about Tony La Russa?

As for free agents, we need pitching. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

Youk,  Lackey & Weiland  to the Cubs for Garza & Samardzija.

Beckett and Lowrie to Mets for David Wright.

Sign Free Agent Pitcher CJ Wilson.

Sign Michael Cuddyer to Play RF-- 2 year Contract.

Resign:  Papi--- 1 year
                Paplebon-- 3 years @ 45 mill

Lineup:

Ellsbury-- CF
    Crawford-- LF
    Wright--3B
    Agon-- 1B
    Pedroia--2B
    Ortiz-- DH
    Cuddyer--RF
    Salty/Lavarnway--C
    Scutaro-- SS

Rotation:

Lester
    Garza
    C.J Wilson
    Buckholtz
    Aceves/Bedard

Pen:

Closer--- Paplebon
    Set up--- Bard, Samardziga
    Fillin the rest of the BP with whats under contract.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Yaso#7,

No team is going to take Lackey.

Not even a team in Korea or Japan will take Lackey. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Yaso#7, No team is going to take Lackey. Not even a team in Korea or Japan will take Lackey. 
    Posted by Ice-Cream
    You're the guy who thought trading youk this spring would be sacrilege right?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

No team is going to take Lackey.

Not even a team in Korea or Japan will take Lackey.

We are talking about the Cubs here--- they took Milton Bradley-- don't fool yourself to thinking that nobody would take Lackey.  Youk would play 1B for the Cubs in that scenario.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Lackey has five years left on his contract. 

The Red Sox would not even be able to give Lackey away at a pawn shop. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: free agents : Add Broxton to the pen and Oswald and Harden along with Ramirez.
    Posted by bruinsGENIUS[/QUOTE]

Heck no to Broxton... he is no better than Gagne

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Plus Broxton is fatter than any of the current Sox pitchers.  With Broxton, Albers, Jencks and Beckett, maybe they can get Bill Belichick to manager the Sox?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

[QUOTE]SHOP YUK FOR STARTING PITCHING. I WILL OFFER YUK AND MINOR FOR FELIX, NOT SURE WHAT THEY WANT. YUK IS DONE ON RS BUT CAN BE GREAT ON A SECOND TIER TEAM. WE DO NOT HAVE AN ACE STARTER AND WE NEED ONE. LETS GO ALL OUT FOR AN ACE...I DONT GIVE A DAMN FOR MINOR'S. LETS GET A STARTING PITCHING WHICH IS NEEDED.
    Posted by lhtak[/QUOTE] youk and minor wouldn't get you felix's jock strap never mind felix.The sox could make an offer that seatle might listen too provided they offered lester,pedroia and ellsbury which they ain't about to do.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Where do some of you dream up this stuff...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Oswalt.  And kick the tires on CJ Wilson. Shop Lackey; try to shop Beckett. Rotation of Oswalt, Wilson, Lester, Buchholz, Aceves/Wakefield should work if they stay healthy.

We need to admit Jenks was a mistake.  Heath Bell is available.  Will the Yankees chase him in case Mo retires?  Or will they promote Soriano or Robertson and get a middle reliever if Mo retires?

We need a left fielder if we put Crawford in right.  Theo once lusted after Maggi Ordonez enough to try to trade Manny for him.  Wonder might still work for a year or two in left?

We need a left side of the infield.  None of the SS rings my bell, so Scutaro can be a placehoder for a year, but if Edwin Encarcion is not optioned, he may make a good 3B.

Pujols is a free agent.  Does he stay in StL?   Yeah, too bad, cuz AGon could be a DH, Pujols could play first, and Papi could walk. But it won't happen. Dang.

May the free agency gods smile upon us in a way that they did not when Lackey was signed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]No team is going to take Lackey. Not even a team in Korea or Japan will take Lackey. We are talking about the Cubs here--- they took Milton Bradley -- don't fool yourself to thinking that nobody would take Lackey.  Youk would play 1B for the Cubs in that scenario.
    Posted by Yaso#7[/QUOTE]

They signed Bradley as a free agent after he lead the AL in OBP and OPS, and had a terrific year for Texas.

When it came time to trade Bradley, he was dealt to Seattle for Carlos Silva.

So really, Seattle is the team that took the bad Bradley deal.  If you want to trade Lackey to Seattle, be prepared to take back Chone Figgins.

And even then, I;m not sure Seattle is amenable.  And Figgins has been worthless to them....