Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox

I figured Middlebrooks would bat 6th again with he or AGon playing LF and Youk at 3B or 1B. 

This should be a tough 3 game series even though the Sox to date have won 4 of 6 against the Rays, including 3 of 4 at Fenway. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Wow, Lester's season ERA is terribly high on the team that simply needs better pitching because it already has a great offense. LMAO!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

No WM? Don't like it. Sox better win this one, because the pitching matchups are tougher the next two games. Winning this series would be a serious accoplishment, sweeping it would be incredible. I'd settle for a win.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I thought the same, Exam but not convinced the reward is worth the risk. BV  can use WM off the bench. May alternate WM and Youk at third, to ease Youk back in at the hot corner and minimize injury. It's a good "problem" to have

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Not a shock to me that BV did not put Gonzalez in RF at Fenway or asked him to go to the opposite side of the diamond from where he's played his entire career and play LF.

Ditto with putting Youk or Middlebrooks in LF. It would be nice to have the extra bat but lots of liabilities on the flip side on defense and if one of those guys got hurt playing out of position and joined the ever expansive DL it would be a huge body blow.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]No WM? Don't like it. Sox better win this one, because the pitching matchups are tougher the next two games. Winning this series would be a serious accoplishment, sweeping it would be incredible. I'd settle for a win.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

No Will Middlebrooks because it would hurt Kevin Youkilis' ego if he sat. He would have already been in Bobby V's office. Trade Youkilis!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, Lester's season ERA is terribly high

Lester  (57 IP, 2.0 K/BB, 104 ERA+)   Price   (59-1/3 IP, 2.9 K/BB, 125 ERA+) 

Beckett  (49-1/3 IP, 2.7 K/BB, 94 ERA+)    Hellickson (56 IP, 2.0 K/BB, 132 ERA+) 

Buchholz(49-1/3 IP, 1.0 K/BB, 53 ERA+)   Shields  67 IP  3.1 K / BB   99 ERA+

Yup it is the hitting!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Let's get some perspective here people

*  AG has voluntereed to play RF....he's not comfortable in LF and RF in Fenway is too much to ask.......RHSP - AGone has to be in there

*  Nava is hitting at least as well as Will - no issue there

*  You could consider WM over Youk but I still think it's Youk's job to lose

*  The only knock is Byrd and Pods out there but that's simply due because of all of the injuries

*  I'd be more focused on JL - he simply can not go out there and toss 6 Innings, give up 4, and think he's done his job..........

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox : No Will Middlebrooks because it would hurt Kevin Youkilis' ego if he sat. He would have already been in Bobby V's office. Trade Youkilis!
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]I am sure that the RS would like to get something back for Youk and not eat part of his contract if they could help it. Nothing would be worse than paying 2/3rds of Youk's contract to play well elsewhere this year, get low value prospects back and have Middlebrooks slump or get hurt.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I don't think trading Youk now makes the best sense

See how the season plays out

See where WM is at the end of the year

See what happens with Ortiz and his contract - and more importantly, if you want to keep him as the DH given you may prefer to have a rotation of position players use the DH slot and save the $ for pitching......Right now, I'd say keep him, it's a no brainer.  But it's June.  We don't have to make the decision now....and....

If we lose Ortiz, wouldn't a viable Plan B be to use Youk like a Michael Young - 1b/3b/dh ?  We control Youk.  Or we can try and resign him at a few lesser bucks too......(decline the option and renegotiate - maybe instead of 13/1yr do 8/1yr claiming he's a DH or do 2/15yr and give him a chance to retire as a Sox with a huge retirement present)....How many Red Sox positional players can you name that have 2 World Series Titles?

It's not like if we trade Youk all of a sudden we will be the favorites to win it all in 2012.  May as well just wait it out.  For 3 years he was one of the best hitters in baseball and he can still be a tough out and threat to go deep......Plus, he helps balance out the line up from the right side.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

go sox

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Need to take this series against the ever annoying Rays.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

IEebn Response to Friday Game Thread: : Rays at Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]Here's the lineup: RED SOX (22-22) Aviles SS Pedroia 2B Ortiz DH Gonzalez 1B Youkilis 3B Saltalamacchia C Nava LF Byrd RF Podsednik CF Pitching: LHP Jon Lester (3-3, 3.95) RAYS (27-18) TBA Pitching: Alex Cobb (1-0, 2.57)
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Evenning everyone ...way to go YOUK!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

evening yaz and gale. Lester looks sharp so far....so good. needs to keep away from the one meltdown inning. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Hi JBay .... this is great  ... watching the game thanks to those who have helped us get the link ...

http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/53862/1/tampa-bay-rays-vs-boston-red-sox-live-stream-online.html

Lester does look good ...  Joyce is on, but
    hope that's it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Nice play Youk!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think trading Youk now makes the best sense See how the season plays out See where WM is at the end of the year See what happens with Ortiz and his contract - and more importantly, if you want to keep him as the DH given you may prefer to have a rotation of position players use the DH slot and save the $ for pitching......Right now, I'd say keep him, it's a no brainer.  But it's June.  We don't have to make the decision now....and.... If we lose Ortiz, wouldn't a viable Plan B be to use Youk like a Michael Young - 1b/3b/dh ?  We control Youk.  Or we can try and resign him at a few lesser bucks too......(decline the option and renegotiate - maybe instead of 13/1yr do 8/1yr claiming he's a DH or do 2/15yr and give him a chance to retire as a Sox with a huge retirement present)....How many Red Sox positional players can you name that have 2 World Series Titles? It's not like if we trade Youk all of a sudden we will be the favorites to win it all in 2012.  May as well just wait it out.  For 3 years he was one of the best hitters in baseball and he can still be a tough out and threat to go deep......Plus, he helps balance out the line up from the right side.....
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Good points all, am.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

What would be great would be a nice comfortable 8-1 win. Lester going at least 7 , and the top pen guys getting the night off.  That's not too much to ask for.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from coopster. Show coopster's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think trading Youk now makes the best sense See how the season plays out See where WM is at the end of the year See what happens with Ortiz and his contract - and more importantly, if you want to keep him as the DH given you may prefer to have a rotation of position players use the DH slot and save the $ for pitching......Right now, I'd say keep him, it's a no brainer.  But it's June.  We don't have to make the decision now....and.... If we lose Ortiz, wouldn't a viable Plan B be to use Youk like a Michael Young - 1b/3b/dh ?  We control Youk.  Or we can try and resign him at a few lesser bucks too......(decline the option and renegotiate - maybe instead of 13/1yr do 8/1yr claiming he's a DH or do 2/15yr and give him a chance to retire as a Sox with a huge retirement present)....How many Red Sox positional players can you name that have 2 World Series Titles? It's not like if we trade Youk all of a sudden we will be the favorites to win it all in 2012.  May as well just wait it out.  For 3 years he was one of the best hitters in baseball and he can still be a tough out and threat to go deep......Plus, he helps balance out the line up from the right side.....
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Dmac is on rehab assignment. They can't possibly be thinking of bringing him back! He sucks.