Game 3 summary

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Game 3 summary

Pettite may be old but he knows how to pitch against the Sox and the rest of the AL East.  It's been a constant throughout his career so I give him credit.  Dempster had a decent "not great" outing and has never beaten the Yankees, or had success in general against above 500 clubs during his career so say what you will about tonights game.

I said this spring Dempster and Lackey were similar pitchers and keys to any success, or lack of we may have this season.  if they don't give us some big outings my 88 game win prediction will be nothing more than buying another losing lottery ticket while hoping for the best.

On to the next game folks!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Re: Game 3 summary

Tough to walk 4 in 5 inns and win.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

Walks have nothing to do with winning the game. Winning game is based on how many runs the other team scores. Dempster allowed only three runs and kept his team in the game. In my eyes Dempsters start was just as good as lesters, except Dempster got 0 for run support.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

Walks have nothing to do with winning the game. Winning game is based on how many runs the other team scores. Dempster allowed only three runs and kept his team in the game. In my eyes Dempsters start was just as good as lesters, except Dempster got 0 for run support.  

I agree it's a team gm so it's a team loss but his pitching line tonight was subpar. I know it's his 1st start but please tell me your not satisfied w/ that, I'm sure Dempster wasn't.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Pitchers pitch and do their best. Batters bat and generate runs. If one doesn't hold up their end they lose. The Yankees did just that last night.

Dempster , as xXrs said, pitched as well as Lester did--got no run support and not much in the field.

The Yanks saw too many pitches from him.

Yankees win.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

u launched a game summary about 10 minutes b4 the game ended.... 

I just hope most Sox fans know what to expect from Dempster this season.  Hes a great, well liked guy with and 0 and 5 career record against the Yanks.  He also has never pitched well facing teams over 500 throughout his career.  We have a lot of salary tied up with Dempster and Lackey who will both need run support and help from our pen this season to really help our cause. 

Its just one of the issues we need to take in stride until the "young blood" breaks our rotation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

It's easier to win a game walking 1 batter in 8 innings than walking 4 batters in 5 innings.  Let's put it this way then.. Dempster pitched a decent game to win him a game but Pettitte pitched better.  Walking batters don't matter to win a game? Well walked batters also score you know?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

If we get these results from Dempster every game, all year, I will be moderately disappointed. He needs to be pitching into the seventh inning, even if he can't finish the inning. If he can give up the same number of runs, while getting deeper into games, I'll be delighted.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

happy to come out of  N Y  @ 2-1 ......  Heck, that was not Baseball weather, for sure !!!  Thank gooooodness we are in the DOME for the next 3 ........ Will be 66* monday @ the FEN'S   !!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The only part of Dempsters game that was bad was the 4BB and he was getting squeezed a bit last night. Needed to be a bit more efficient last night...He had 8 K's and a ton of swing and misses. He got into some trouble, but the damage was minimal.. 2 runs one inning and 1 in another.

For a first outing of the year, Im ok with it. 3 runs on 5 hits 8K's 4BB. Dempster pitched good enough to get the win but the Sox offense was shut down by Pettite.

Thats not a bad line at all, but all the children on the game thread are calling him "Dumpster". Instead of verbally bashing our pitcher who threw a decent game, maybe some of you could give credit to their pitcher for shutting our bats down.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Sox lost 3 innings hitting into 3 double plays. Hit 3 or 4 balls a long way, that I though were sure fire HRs, but Somehow came up short. Most of us before the game gave yanks a 4 run handicap & all & all we were right. Dempster didn't lose this game, our bats did. But we won the series & I'm happy. Hello Toronto. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Sox lost 3 innings hitting into 3 double plays. Hit 3 or 4 balls a long way, that I though were sure fire HRs, but Somehow came up short. Most of us before the game gave yanks a 4 run handicap & all & all we were right. Dempster didn't lose this game, our bats did. But we won the series & I'm happy. Hello Toronto. 

TOOOOO COLD.....  (for both teams) 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I try to explain to people that the reason why the best teams in other sports will often win 75%+ of their games, and it is only 60% in BB, is because of the luck factor.  We scorched a few shots right at people.  In game 1, Iggy got three hits without the ball leaving the infield.  That's the way it goes.

Now we need to take 2-3 from TO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I try to explain to people that the reason why the best teams in other sports will often win 75%+ of their games, and it is only 60% in BB, is because of the luck factor.  We scorched a few shots right at people.  In game 1, Iggy got three hits without the ball leaving the infield.  That's the way it goes.

Now we need to take 2-3 from TO.

Agree.  That's all about baseball.  Winning the series by series.  Don't have to sweep every time. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

TOOOOO COLD.....  (for both teams) 

Yeah, but why did some of theirs go out & ours didn't? It's a question that could keep you up at nights. 

Guess I have to credit Andy Petitte as being that much more effective that his mistakes didn't carry those last idk ten feet. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Winning two out of three on the road vs. the Yankees is still very good.  

I hope the Red Sox win two out of three vs. Toronto.  

My advice to Red Sox pitchers: Just intentionally walk Bautista.   LOL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

didnt he get hurt again?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

they didn't lose last night because of the 3 runs Dempster gave up. He had an average start but if the Red Sox scored 5 runs everyone would be saying " decent start by Dempster". He wasn't the reason they lost and he wouldn't have been the reason if they won.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Agreed. Give me that result any day.

I'm not sure I buy all the hype about the Jays this year...time will tell whether assembling a lot of high-priced players from failed NL teams is a winning strategy. But this should be a fun series. It'll be interesting to see how Johnson and Dickey adjust to the AL East.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from taz1956. Show taz1956's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

u launched a game summary about 10 minutes b4 the game ended.... 

I just hope most Sox fans know what to expect from Dempster this season.  Hes a great, well liked guy with and 0 and 5 career record against the Yanks.  He also has never pitched well facing teams over 500 throughout his career.  We have a lot of salary tied up with Dempster and Lackey who will both need run support and help from our pen this season to really help our cause. 

Its just one of the issues we need to take in stride until the "young blood" breaks our rotation.

Can you please provide stats to support this statement. I live in the Chicago area and have seen Dempster pitch extreemly well against upper echelon teams. Not all good pitchers are flamethrowers and for these type of players pitching to contact simetimes has adverse effects.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

didnt he get hurt again?

Good morning southpaw777    :)

I heard that Bautista left in the 9th inning but he plans on not missing any games.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Things I liked/found hopeful in last nights loss:

-Demp's 8 k's

-JBJ & Ig still hitting & getting on-base

-Agressive base-running

-Vic gunning-down Gardner (of all people) at 2B. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Agreed. Give me that result any day.

I'm not sure I buy all the hype about the Jays this year...time will tell whether assembling a lot of high-priced players from failed NL teams is a winning strategy. But this should be a fun series. It'll be interesting to see how Johnson and Dickey adjust to the AL East.

Good morning Flapjack07   :)

Johnson will be pitching vs. the Red Sox tonight.  I agree with you--it will be a fun series!!!

Boston and Toronto had a nice rivalry back in the late 80s and early 90s.