Game Thread 127: Red Sox at Giants

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Game Thread 127: Red Sox at Giants

LHP Jon Lester (10-7, 4.31) vs. RHP Tim Lincecum (6-12, 4.38), 10:15 p.m., NESN, ESPN2.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: Game Thread 127: Red Sox at Giants

Pete Abraham          

First base gets no respect. Fans think any player can wake up one day with no previous training and play there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Pete Abraham          

First base gets no respect. Fans think any player can wake up one day with no previous training and play there.

guilty as charged.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Buster Olney - ESPN, Senior Baseball Writer

If MLB suspends Dempster, it will have effectively overruled one of its best umpires, Brian O'Nora, who merely issued warnings.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

MLB in a tough spot re: possible Dempster discipline: If they don't give him a suspension, it'll fuel accusations they're targeting A-Rod.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Joel Sherman - New York Post, Baseball Writer

MLB is reviewing the Dempster HBP of A-Rod from last nite to determine if he should be suspended. Decision likely by tmrw

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

The way he is Pitching, might help the Sox.

Last 7 days 5.84 era

Last 14 6.38 era

Last 28 6.67 era Opponents are hitting .297 in this time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If MLB suspends Dempster, it will have effectively overruled one of its best umpires, Brian O'Nora, who merely issued warnings.

He deserved to be warned after pitch #1--- whether warned or not he should have been tossed after he hit him. Unfortunately for the Sox the use of poor judgement on Dempster's part may have a long term impact on the Sox and a long term negative  impact on Dempster's career going forward. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Dan Shaughnessy          

Did Dempster put union views/A-Rod hatred ahead of winning last night?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

[QUOTE]

He deserved to be warned after pitch #1--- whether warned or not he should have been tossed after he hit him. Unfortunately for the Sox the use of poor judgement on Dempster's part may have a long term impact on the Sox and a long term negative  impact on Dempster's career going forward. 

[/QUOTE]

You're going to have to explain that one.

I don't see it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't see it.

[/QUOTE]

IMHO the Sox lost the game because of Dempsters poor judgement. It was a winable game and he let his personal feelings take over instead of staying on task. It, obviously though not the same , could be likened to the chicken and beer episode----the participants put themselves before the team. They went down a slippery slope that led ultimately to the 2011 collapse.

Last night Dempster could have waited until a time in the game when the Sox were either way ahead and did the same thing instead he put himself ahead of the team. He will have to apologize to the team and admit that he threw at him intentionally---if he doesn't go through that contrition , I believe, the episode will haunt him. It wouldn't surprise me that Lackey was somehow involved in the fiasco---much like he was with the chicken and beer. It's sad I personally think he is such a leader on the team he has both Lester and Buch under his spell. I have felt going back to the collapse of 2011 he should have been traded and my feelings have not changed.

FourB's that's what I meant about long term impact on Dempster. Thanks for asking--a long answer for a good direct question.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

The way he is Pitching, might help the Sox.

Last 7 days 5.84 era

Last 14 6.38 era

Last 28 6.67 era Opponents are hitting .297 in this time.

And that is with a 7 IP, 1 ER outing the last time around. Without that one start, his ERA is over 7.00 since the beginning of July and approaching 10.00 this month.

While he simply did what everyone was secretly wishing to do to A-Rod, it was a boneheaded move for the team and I would not complain a bit if he was suspended. Try Webster or Workman for another start or call De La Rosa back up...I doubt any of them could do much worse than the above numbers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Dan Shaughnessy          

Did Dempster put union views/A-Rod hatred ahead of winning last night?

I HOPE HENRY GETS RID OF THIS GUY

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't see it.

[/QUOTE]

IMHO the Sox lost the game because of Dempsters poor judgement. It was a winable game and he let his personal feelings take over instead of staying on task. It, obviously though not the same , could be likened to the chicken and beer episode----the participants put themselves before the team. They went down a slippery slope that led ultimately to the 2011 collapse.

Last night Dempster could have waited until a time in the game when the Sox were either way ahead and did the same thing instead he put himself ahead of the team. He will have to apologize to the team and admit that he threw at him intentionally---if he doesn't go through that contrition , I believe, the episode will haunt him. It wouldn't surprise me that Lackey was somehow involved in the fiasco---much like he was with the chicken and beer. It's sad I personally think he is such a leader on the team he has both Lester and Buch under his spell. I have felt going back to the collapse of 2011 he should have been traded and my feelings have not changed.

FourB's that's what I meant about long term impact on Dempster. Thanks for asking--a long answer for a good direct question.

[/QUOTE]

I don't buy it.

The Sox didn't lose that game as a direct result of A-rod getting plunked.

They were winning 6-3, 4 innings later.

They lost because Dempster was out there about two batters too many, in the 6th.

He's not going to alpologize and he's not going to be haunted.

I'm guessing he's feeling much worse about blowing the lead than he does about hitting A-rod.

Ball players and pitchers in general, have short memories.

I doubt he's bothered by any of this by his next start.

And I'm sorry, but the Lackey comments are just way, way out there.

Chicken and beer was 2 years ago. Time to let it go.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya cant say i would mind dempster getting suspended, he has been down right terrible and was a bad signing from the beginning. I would say if he does get suspended we call up anthony ranuado, the way he is a pitching he deserves a shot. heck DL dempster with a mystery injury. he is not helping this team in any way shape or form right now. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

I hope they suspend Dempster for a long time because he is horrible and it can only help the Sox to not have him out there.  He should never pitch against the Yankees again.  He can't beat them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I doubt it will have any long term effect either way.

A little rest for Dempster is probably needed right now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham         

If Ortiz plays 3-4 games at 1B on the trip, be interesting if Red Sox DH Bogaerts some in addition to spelling Drew.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

I hope they suspend Dempster for a long time because he is horrible and it can only help the Sox to not have him out there.  He should never pitch against the Yankees again.  He can't beat them.

And who will pitch? If everyone was benched, sent down and traded, as is so often called for here, there wouldn't be a team to field. Dempster didn't pitch badly, he pitched 2 batters too long. He should have pulled after A-RODS HR. That's not on him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham         

If Ortiz plays 3-4 games at 1B on the trip, be interesting if Red Sox DH Bogaerts some in addition to spelling Drew.

Pete Abraham     

Let me try this again: If Napoli's injury turns into something, be interesting if the #RedSox play Ortiz at 1B on occasion to DH Bogaerts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham          

People asking about Middlebrooks at 1B. He could learn. But he has yet to play an inning there in his life. Can't just toss him out there

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Pete Abraham         

How the heck are they going to DH Bogearts in NL parks?

Is he referring to after the NL park trip is over?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

Pete Abraham         

Pete Abraham     

Let me try this again: If Napoli's injury turns into something, be interesting if the #RedSox play Ortiz at 1B on occasion to DH Bogaerts

[/QUOTE]

OK, that makes more sense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham         

They can't DH playing the Giants and Dodgers, which is why Ortiz is playing first

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't see it.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't buy it.

The Sox didn't lose that game as a direct result of A-rod getting plunked.

They were winning 6-3, 4 innings later.

They lost because Dempster was out there about two batters too many, in the 6th.

He's not going to alpologize and he's not going to be haunted.

I'm guessing he's feeling much worse about blowing the lead than he does about hitting A-rod.

Ball players and pitchers in general, have short memories.

I doubt he's bothered by any of this by his next start.

And I'm sorry, but the Lackey comments are just way, way out there.

Chicken and beer was 2 years ago. Time to let it go.

[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%, we lost the game last night not because dempster hit a-rod, we lost because dempster was left in too long when he clearly was done, any manager with half a brain could see he was out of gas, he didnt even come close to the strike zone on most of his pitches in the 6th was a getting hit hard. Farell left him in till he loaded the bases by walking stewart who is a terrible hitter on 4 pitches that were not remotely close. Then he brought in drake britton of all people when breslow was the guy he should have gone to in a critical situation like that. (britton has been good, but breslow has more experience and is more proven) The other key to our downfall was the offense. we failed on numerous occasions to drive in the runners we had in scoring position. stephen drews strikout  on 3 pitches was more impactful than dempster beaning a-rod. farrells line up decisions was the last big factor in our downfall last night. gomes hitting in the 5 spot? middlebrooks hitting 9th? has he not been paying attention? middlebrooks has been possibly the hottest hitter on the team lately and yet he is hitting 9th against a lefty? this would have been my line up last night:

ellsbury

victorino

pedroia

ortiz

nava

middlebrooks

gomes

salty 

drew