Game Thread 3: Red Sox at Yankees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Game Thread 3: Red Sox at Yankees

It is not as if Dempster is an unknown commodity. The guy has been around. He is a career 500 pitcher. 4.33 ERA.  At this point in his career, he will not be getting better .  Let's not give him too many starts before we make a change. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

It is not as if Dempster is an unknown commodity. The guy has been around. He is a career 500 pitcher. 4.33 ERA.  At this point in his career, he will not be getting better .  Let's not give him too many starts before we make a change. 

His ERA over the last 9 years with the Cubs was 3.74.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

take him deep middleman

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

First mistake by Farrell. Should have walked Overbay and went after Cervelli. Percentage move.  We paid the price.

Percentages be damned.  The day Farrell has his starter pitch around Lyle Overbay in the second inning, that is the day I start to question his approach.  

Why ?  Overbay is lefthanded. And always more dangerous than Cervelli. What is wrong with pitching around him in any inning ?  Does Overbay have a better chance of getting a hit than Cervelli , or not ? Of course he does. And , sure enough , he did.

Sure, but its not like Overbay is that dangerous at this stage of his career.  At this juncture of the game, I am going to not waste pitches from my starter.  There are two outs.  I don't know.  I understand your point.  I just don't think there are many managers who would issue that walk that early in the game in that situation.

Late in the game , in that situation , I think most managers would walk Overbay and pitch to Cervelli. To me , it shouldn't matter that it is only the second inning.  The game can be lost in any inning.

I agree.  Game can be lost anytime.  I don't agree that intentional walks/pitch arounds do not weigh differently at different junctures of the game.  I value those 4-6 pitches from my starter more than the risk of Lyle Overbay getting a hit at that juncture.  I am not dismissing your view at all.  It is valid.  i just don't agree that it doesn't matter that it was only the second inning.  

Okay. Fair enough. If you pitch around him , you will use extra pitches. But if you walk him intentionally , you are just lobbing four in there. Would not effect his durability. I guess it is just a matter of opinion. I agree that most managers would have pitched to him. Maybe Dempster was trying to get him to chase one.  Who knows ?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Nice payback K on Gardner.  Just thought I would add that before we collectively run him out of town after four innings of work in a Sox uni.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Nice payback K on Gardner.  Just thought I would add that before we collectively run him out of town after four innings of work in a Sox uni.

space you should come join us on the chat

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I don't think I would pitch around anybody in this Yank lineup except Cano...they are not very impressive.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

What chat?  Is the long-debated private forum?  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

no lol. look for the thread with the URL for the title

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

question for the board, i had the radio on, and John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman were discussing Ryan Dempster, Waldman siad heis a good guy to have on your team.then Sterling went into Dempster's rep as an "innings eater" saying to the effect what good is it if he doesn't win games...let me make clear he wasn't talking about Dempster specifically but guys who are known as innings eaters, so i guess my question is being that Dempster was 12-8 last year, what do you think is a reasonable/acceptable amount of wins for someone who's know as such??? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Looks like Dempster is settling in now...just took 100 pitches to get there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Perfect bunt by Iggy 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Struck out 8 but walked 4, lot of pitches, but first outing of the season, not so bad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

question for the board, i had the radio on, and John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman were discussing Ryan Dempster, Waldman siad heis a good guy to have on your team.then Sterling went into Dempster's rep as an "innings eater" saying to the effect what good is it if he doesn't win games...let me make clear he wasn't talking about Dempster specifically but guys who are known as innings eaters, so i guess my question is being that Dempster was 12-8 last year, what do you think is a reasonable/acceptable amount of wins for someone who's know as such??? 

It's based on the idea that you've got a couple of guys at the top of the rotation who are putting you well over .500.  You need guys at the back who are around .500 and pitching enough innings to not overtax the bullpen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

If Dempster gets through another scoreless inning, are we still ready to drop him from the rotation him after a 6 inning, 3 ER, 8K outing?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

Hi Jete. I don't have a number of wins that would be acceptable. To me " innings eater " is a euphemism for " doesn't have real good stuff."  You would like any starter to go deep in the game.  I don't know that Dempster will " eat " any more innings than our other guys.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

http://us11.chatzy.com/77965231706969

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

This game is winnable. They need to put together one good inning Of offense. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I'll take a 6 inning 3 run outing any day!  The Sox should be able to stay in almost any game that the starter gives up just 3.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to traven's comment:

I'll take a 6 inning 3 run outing any day!  The Sox should be able to stay in almost any game that the starter gives up just 3.

You may get that much from Dempster. It works out to a 4.50 ERA. Close to his career number.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Tazawa. Thought  it would be Mortensen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to traven's comment:

Especially with this pen.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Space, cmon over to the CHAT!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Agree with Remy that it wasn't that bad of an outing...at least for the first one.