Game Thread 55: Red Sox at Phillies

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Game Thread 55: Red Sox at Phillies

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

Iggy looks really comfortable tonight.

This is only Iggy's 13th game and he already has six, two-hit games.   Laughing

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to mryazz's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I wouldn't take Ortiz out for defense.  Is Napoli that much better ?   

I agree with that.  Papi is much better hitter. 

i hope removing ortiz doesn't come back to bite farrell on the AZZ.

It's a no-brainer.  You don't risk injury to Ortiz playing the field with a 4 run lead in the 7th.  Napoli is the starting 1st baseman, so it's not like they are putting Ross at first.  It was also hot and humid, not the most ideal conditions to be out there for the first time.   

i keep forgetting how FRAGILE these guys are. thank god they don't play hockey.

Ortiz is coming off a serious achilles injury and he's not exactly Ricky Henderson physically.  Why pose unnecessary risk?  I don't think you'll see Ortiz on skates anytime soon, and besides, John Kruk may as well have been also talking about Ortiz when he said, "I'm not an athlete, I'm a baseball player." 

i'd say that hitting a baseball like ortiz does is very athletic.

You're missing the point, Slugger.  He's obviously a tremendous hitter, and that's what he gets paid to do.  You don't wan't your best hitter, coming off a serious injury, to get injured on a freak play with a 4 run lead in the 7th.  Farrell did the right thing by giving each of them a start, and if the game was closer, maybe you keep him out there, but pulling him was absolutely the right move under the circumstances. 

I like seeing Ortiz play first, I think hes a better than average fielder, and sometimes makes some sparkling plays down there, for a guy that almost never plays there, hes fantastic. Ive said for a while that he should get some games there occasionally even in AL parks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Nice game. 2 games up going to NY. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Fairly stress free game, from the 1st. Nice game for Ellsbury. On to YS. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Fairly stress free game, from the 1st. Nice game for Ellsbury. On to YS. 

Boras seeing dollar signs.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

It's a no-brainer.  You don't risk injury to Ortiz playing the field with a 4 run lead in the 7th.  Napoli is the starting 1st baseman, so it's not like they are putting Ross at first.  It was also hot and humid, not the most ideal conditions to be out there for the first time.   

Ortiz is coming off a serious achilles injury and he's not exactly Ricky Henderson physically.  Why pose unnecessary risk?  I don't think you'll see Ortiz on skates anytime soon, and besides, John Kruk may as well have been also talking about Ortiz when he said, "I'm not an athlete, I'm a baseball player." 

You're missing the point, Slugger.  He's obviously a tremendous hitter, and that's what he gets paid to do.  You don't wan't your best hitter, coming off a serious injury, to get injured on a freak play with a 4 run lead in the 7th.  Farrell did the right thing by giving each of them a start, and if the game was closer, maybe you keep him out there, but pulling him was absolutely the right move under the circumstances. 

you missed my point, sluggo. i said that hitting a baseball is definitely athletic.

Ok, you're right, they should have kept them in there. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

I like seeing Ortiz play first, I think hes a better than average fielder, and sometimes makes some sparkling plays down there, for a guy that almost never plays there, hes fantastic. Ive said for a while that he should get some games there occasionally even in AL parks.

I'm not saying he's Dick Stuart with the glove (He's always done well at first), I'm just saying there's no need to risk a fluke injury in the 7th inning of a game with a 4 run lead.  He's your best hitter, they need him in the line-up, and he's not exactly the most agile guy right now, especially when you factor in the achilles injury.  I like him splitting time with Napoli in NL parks, as it keeps everybody happy, and it gets his bat in the line-up, which is obviously important. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Let Papelbon enjoy his two saves vs. the Red Sox.  Boston is up two games in the AL East and the Phillies are 6.5 games back in the NL East and 7 games back in the Wild Card standings.   LOL