Getting that first run ... kind of important.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Getting that first run ... kind of important.

Our offense has been fantastic! Cool

But: We've been shut out twice on this road trip.

And six times in 96 games, vs Baltimore only three times and the Rays only four. The Yankees and the Jays have been shut out seven times apiece.

I think it's really important to scratch out a run or two for the simple reason that if you don't score you can't win.

Some teams that don't score nearly as often as we do at least give their pitching staff a chance at a win by putting something on the board more often than we do.

Is there any way we can improve in this one area without trashing everything else?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Getting that first run ... kind of important.

You have quantified the p[roblem, nor the results.  For example, you need to define what a substantially unwinnable game is.

Let's call that scoring 0 or 1 run.

Then you need to figure out where we stand relative to the rest of the league.

Simply saying we should score earlier and more often is something everyone is in agreement with.  So, just for fun, I did some of the leg work for you

• RS 11
    • TB 14
    • BA 7
    • NY 19
    • TO 17
    • DE 11
    • CL 14
    • KC 15
    • WS 16
    • MN 17
    • OK 16
    • TX 14
    • LA 14
    • SE 15
    • HO 18

Some teams that don't score nearly as often as we do at least give their pitching staff a chance at a win by putting something on the board more often than we do.

So, except for BA, it looks to me like we're putting something on the board.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Re: Getting that first run ... kind of important.

Thanks for taking the extra step and adding in one run games.

I was looking a shutouts because while you can win a game with just one run, you can't do that if you don't score any runs. That's the purest way of looking at it.

At our current rate (9.375%) we get shut out 15 and a fraction games per season. It just seems that to me, that's a lot of games to write off.

But I have to concede your point because, in theory, none of the shutouts were close enough to matter:

Apr 6, 0-5 vs Jays
    Apr 23, 0-13 vs Oakland (in a rain shortened game that couldn't end soon enough)
    May 3, 0-7 vs Rangers
    Jun 14, 0-2 vs Orioles
    Jul 7, 0-3 vs Angels
    Jul 13, 0-3 vs Oakland

But I still don't like getting shut out!