Giancarlo Stanton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFredster. Show TheFredster's posts

Giancarlo Stanton

Jeff Loria was voted the "Worst Owner In Baseball" this winter. The heartless, soulless, greedy owner of the Marlins is left with only one valuable chip on the table...outfielder Giancarlo Stanton. Given the Sox' miserable outlook for offense as currently configured, I smell a big deal in the wind. After a few years of the Sox management looking short term (think Adrian Beltre, Derek Lowe, Pedro, Paplebon, Alex Gonzalez, etc., etc,....all gone), but instead taking on quick fixes Renteria, Lugo, Cameron, Smoltz, Wells, Penny, Adrian Gonzalez, Crawford et.al, it seems that there is a somewhat longer term focus from Yawkey Way that could benefit the fans for a while. John Henry and Lucchino can talk Loria's language, and the Sox have both money and players that would satiate Loria's business model of low payroll composed of high level AAA players and 2nd/3rd tier major league talent.
        Sooner, rather than later, someone is gonna offer Loria a kings' ransom for Stanton, and the Sox have the kind of shiny items that would impress the small minded, short sighted Loria. Think along the lines of Doubront, Lavarnway, Gomes, Iglesias, a top AAA pitching prospect,  and a number of highly rated prospects in AA. A team cannot pay cash to "buy" another player, but if the Sox throw in bucks toward the contract of a major leaguer (Doubront, Gomes), and add a few scrubs from the minors, Loria could continue his charade of fielding a major league team, maintaining a low payroll, and have money left over for his toys and trinkets. 
        The Sox are not going to scare AL teams with fleet footed singles hitters, and obtaining quality boppers has to become a priority soon. The Sox might have one of the best looking herds of livestock on the farm in years (on paper), and they are stocked with too many average players at the major league level. And don't bet on Napoli as 1st baseman long term... lots of 3rd basemen have moved to 1st (Middlebrooks..?), and the Sox are loaded with infield prospects, particularly the left side.

Bear in mind the the Sox have the #7 overall draft pick in June, and around the #44 pick overall in the 2nd round. More livestock for the farm from a better than average 2013 draft.  Look for a 4 or 5 or 6 player deal, avec cash, for Stanton... sooner rather than later

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Giancarlo Stanton

The Marlins dont want Gomes for 5M. Your giving up JBJ, Bogaerts, Barnes and a couple more for 3 years of stanton unless you agree to an extension before any deal is made.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Our team still has two glaring weaknesses and has for years...

1) A solid ace or top #2 slot starting pitcher.

2) A top RH'd 3 or 4 slot hitter with power and OBP skills.

To have any real hope, we need to fill at least one of these positions.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Marlins owner told Jose Reyes to buy a home in the Miami area, FOUR days before he was traded to Toronto.  That is so messed up.   LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

They cant trade Stanton, they will be shot on sight.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The Marlins dont want Gomes for 5M. Your giving up JBJ, Bogaerts, Barnes and a couple more for 3 years of stanton unless you agree to an extension before any deal is made.

+1

The Red Sox expendables won't land Giancarlo Stanton.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

+1

Are you warming up to the Jaso/Morse swap?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

+1

Yeah, Oakland 8-2 w/ our other expendables. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Crisp, Lowrie, Moss, and Reddick are on fire for the A's.  

The A's just swept the Angels.  Moss had a five-RBI game two nights ago.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

How much does geography, or more importantly, climate have to do w/ how well a player performs? Physically or mentally? Given, if you're not an exceptional ball player, you're not going to be exceptional anywhere. If you're body tends to get hurt, it can happen anywhere I guess. 

Then Motivationally, perhaps ? 

I'd like to know how he feels about living/playing in the North East. The North East, where the calendar says something completely different from what you're actually experiencing. Of course there's Away games, but that's no guarantee because you still might be playing teams in the N. E. The road might be worse. First month of the season is a cold rain, snowy crap shoot. Sept. Gets cold. Sometimes 2 weeks into August. Ha! Oct. forget about it.

CC-TB

LACKEY-LA

AGone-SD

Beckett-Fla

Bailey-Oak

(Stanton-Mia)

Side note- Dodgers geo. schedule. LA, SD, ARI, LA

Its not a scientific study.., just a thought. More of a question really? Not saying there's a lot to it, but maybe there's the tiniest bit of something to it. 

Is Stanton a warm weather player? Or is this a dumb question? 

Excuse me while I put on a sweater & adjust the thermostat. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

A few days ago, on the MLB channel, I saw the Braves vs. Marlins game and the stadium was empty.  

The Miami Heat will win more games than the Marlins.   LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Crisp, Lowrie, Moss, and Reddick are on fire for the A's.  

The A's just swept the Angels.  Moss had a five-RBI game two nights ago.  

None of those other players deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Crisp.  Crisp is elite defensively at a defense first position.  He is the leader of that team.  

Lowrie is sub-par at SS, Reddick is batting .125, and has batted under .200 since the all-star break of last year, Moss is a platoon player who cant play the field.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i have been saying all along stanton is the guy to give up some blue chippers for. even when ortiz returns our line up is weak. with all the hype around jbj, i bet the marlins would entertain a pacakge built around him and say de la rosa as the headliners and add in 2 more b prospects. we have a hole in left field and we need a 3/4 hitter, stanton fills both of those and is a guy the sox can build around going forward. imagine:

ellsbury

pedroia

stanton

middlebrooks

ortiz

napoli

victorino

salty 

drew

looks a heck of alot better to me. gomes, nava, ciriaco and ross make up the bench. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Tonight's game is already postponed? Thats a shocker. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

i have been saying all along stanton is the guy to give up some blue chippers for. even when ortiz returns our line up is weak. with all the hype around jbj, i bet the marlins would entertain a pacakge built around him and say de la rosa as the headliners and add in 2 more b prospects. we have a hole in left field and we need a 3/4 hitter, stanton fills both of those and is a guy the sox can build around going forward. imagine:

ellsbury

pedroia

stanton

middlebrooks

ortiz

napoli

victorino

salty 

drew

looks a heck of alot better to me. gomes, nava, ciriaco and ross make up the bench. 

I think the Sox have the pieces to make it happen. Not saying it would though. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

oh boy

the new King Felix...

there is a difference between king felix and stanton, king felix is never wanted out and the mariners were never as hopeless as the marlins, plus u have to add in the loria factor. stanton will eventually get dealt, its just a matter of when. Hes the guy the sox need and he makes a ton of sense. we have the spects to get him. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFredster. Show TheFredster's posts

I like all the responses to the idea of taking on Stanton. The point is that it won't take any more than a couple of lukewarm major leaguers, a few AA prospects, a quality AAA prospect, and some $money$ towards Doubront and Gome's contracts to keep the heartless Loria happy. He's only in it for the MLB revenue sharing, and a feel good life.

The future of the Sox' pitching looks very bright on paper, but they need some scoring soon..... re-read the original post......

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to TheFredster's comment:

I like all the responses to the idea of taking on Stanton. The point is that it won't take any more than a couple of lukewarm major leaguers, a few AA prospects, a quality AAA prospect, and some $money$ towards Doubront and Gome's contracts to keep the heartless Loria happy. He's only in it for the MLB revenue sharing, and a feel good life.

The future of the Sox' pitching looks very bright on paper, but they need some scoring soon..... re-read the original post......

your completely wrong about this. Loria isn't going to just give the guy away. Stanton is the ONLY thing keeping marlins fans interested. If he does put him on the market then he's going to get offers pouring in. He will have his pick of the litter from any farm system. Why would he settle for your pathetic offer of spare parts, a few prospects and cash when virtually EVERY offer from every other team in the MLB will be 3X that much??

If we want to land Stanton it's going to take more than Doobie, Gomes and some midlevel prospects... try Barnes, Bogaerts, Bradley for starters.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Mef is right.  Yes, Stanton is different than Felix Hernandez in that he wanted to stay in Seattle and Seattle wasn't about to let him go, whereas Stanton is imminently moveable.  But the idea that the return wouldn't be the moon is not very sound.  I can't think of one club in the majors that wouldn't make room for "Mike".  If Loria is moving him, he is going to get all he can.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Mef is right.  Yes, Stanton is different than Felix Hernandez in that he wanted to stay in Seattle and Seattle wasn't about to let him go, whereas Stanton is imminently moveable.  But the idea that the return wouldn't be the moon is not very sound.  I can't think of one club in the majors that wouldn't make room for "Mike".  If Loria is moving him, he is going to get all he can.

especially because when he does get rid of him any Marlins fans that are left will riot. So he'd better get a haul for him. The good news is, with the prospects they got from the Jays along with the kings ransom they will get from Stanton the Marlins will be a very young and cost controlled team with a decent amount of talent. It's the silver lining he can point to that might keep hom from getting lynched.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

especially because when he does get rid of him any Marlins fans that are left will riot. So he'd better get a haul for him. The good news is, with the prospects they got from the Jays along with the kings ransom they will get from Stanton the Marlins will be a very young and cost controlled team with a decent amount of talent. It's the silver lining he can point to that might keep hom from getting lynched.

wellll, i don't know about the notion of marlins fans rioting.  first off, there are only about 150.  Second, those 150 wouldnt riot over anything that doesnt involve love for fidel castro. I mean, they have now been through 3 wholesale sell-off, 2 of championship clubs, and nary a peep has emanated from dade county.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFredster. Show TheFredster's posts

Point taken..... baseball is a business, so we'll see what time going forward shows. But the fact remains that Loria does not want players of a quality that would require a large salary now, or later. Owners like Loria and teams like the Marlins (remember Wayne Huizenga ?) will always operate at a level that relieves the fans of just enough money to live the high life they have become accustomed to. The Sox have spent 10 years coveting top tier superstars, but seem to get them only after they have become boors. They are not going to get Trout, Myers, Machado, Davis, Harper et al. The Sox are not going to part with their top 5-7 prospects, but they have a lot of 2nd tier prospects and 2 more coming in June, plus  they have no room for these youngsters if they keep a roster full of #4 and #5 starters and average position players.

BTW: the Marlins have been giving away players for more than a decade.

..... and let's not quickly forget what the Dodgers did to themselves.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

I agree.  Trading Stanton is absolutely the correct move.  They'd have a nice team 3-4 years from now, unfortunately, only to be blown up 5-6 years from now.

OTOH, for the 1,000 articles written about the trades, newspapers have gone radio silent on the results, although admittedly early.

• Hanley-Out
    • Bonifacio-7 hits v 4 errors
    • Gaby Sanchez-.100 average
    • JJ-11.05
    • Buerhle-10.24

Sanchez and Reyes have done well, but the overall affect of the players they surrendered is not materially different than how they performed last year.

25. This post has been removed.