Go with10 pitchers in the ALDS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Go with10 pitchers in the ALDS

Everyone will be very rested after a 5 day break, plus 2 off days in the series.  Uehara and Breslow could easily pitch all five games.  The rest of the bullpen is like Freddie Kruger, so why not spend one of those normally seven slots on someone who can help?  With15 position players, Farrell can include both Berry and Bradley and I think McDonald too:  Ortiz, napoli, pedroia, drew, Middlebrooks, nava, Ellsbury, victorino, saltalamacchia,Ross, Gomes, carp, Bogaerts, Bradley, and berry or McDonald.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re: Go with10 pitchers in the ALDS

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Everyone will be very rested after a 5 day break, plus 2 off days in the series.  Uehara and Breslow could easily pitch all five games.  The rest of the bullpen is like Freddie Kruger, so why not spend one of those normally seven slots on someone who can help?  With15 position players, Farrell can include both Berry and Bradley and I think McDonald too:  Ortiz, napoli, pedroia, drew, Middlebrooks, nava, Ellsbury, victorino, saltalamacchia,Ross, Gomes, carp, Bogaerts, Bradley, and berry or McDonald.

Agree totally.....the position player would be more valuable and with the 2 off days, you would even have the use of Game 2/3 starters out of the Bullpen in a Game 5 if it went into extras. There is no need for 7 Bullpen guys.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I'm starting to lean more towards 10 too

Instead of using your 11th best pitcher, just use one of the starters who has the most rest instead

and add Lava to the mix, a 3rd catcher could prove very useful

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Instead of using your 11th best pitcher, just use one of the starters who has the most rest instead

why need Nava.   If Ross and Salty goes down, Napoli can be the third emergency catcher.

Why not to just get an extra OF case something happen to Victorino or Ellsbury!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

[QUOTE]

why need Nava.   If Ross and Salty goes down, Napoli can be the third emergency catcher.

Why not to just get an extra OF case something happen to Victorino or Ellsbury!!

[/QUOTE]

I wish Nap could be your 3rd guy but I don't think he could catch anymore.

Does anyone know about that or not?

That was Naps real value when he was at 3/39 - because he would also catch....not anymore and no more 3/39 either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That was Naps real value when he was at 3/39 - because he would also catch....not anymore and no more 3/39 either.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, he can still catch if it came to that. Playing 1b is just less wear and tear, but he can still play the position if need be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Yes, he can still catch if it came to that. Playing 1b is just less wear and tear, but he can still play the position if need be.

I agree.....though we didnt use his as a catcher this year, Naps caught over 70 games last year with Texas....there is no doublt in my mind he could catch as an emergency 3rd catcher if need be......the extra OF/PR would be much more valuable than Lava.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

OK, if you guys think so then I am on board with that  - sounds like an excellent plan actually.

Can we dump Gomes and take MacD, Berry, and JBJ ??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Excuse me, but the OP was supposed to be contentious, controversial, even ridiculous.  I only wrote it because I think we have weak middle relievers and I wanted to vent.  I will of course be happy with whatever Farrell decides to do because he knows a lot more than I do. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

totally agree with this. especially the part about Lava.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Excuse me, but the OP was supposed to be contentious, controversial, even ridiculous.  I only wrote it because I think we have weak middle relievers and I wanted to vent.  I will of course be happy with whatever Farrell decides to do because he knows a lot more than I do. 

Max....see....you are right even when you try to be ridiculous!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm thinking 9 max. Did someone say "leave off Nava"? Sure, also Pedroia' we've got lots of people who can play 2nd. Wake up! Nava's a sure outfielder, left or right, a legit .300 hitter, and somebody wants to leave him off? That borders on insanity.

I agree.....though we didnt use his as a catcher this year, Naps caught over 70 games last year with Texas....there is no doublt in my mind he could catch as an emergency 3rd catcher if need be......the extra OF/PR would be much more valuable than Lava.

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

How many of thise who have commented to this posting have been watching the Red Sox play this year? Not many! Seldom have I seen so many off the wall, unimaginative, and downright illiterate post in one subject! One guy wants 11 pitchers! They are forgetting that Dempster, Doubrant, etc are not one inning guys!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

OK, if you guys think so then I am on board with that  - sounds like an excellent plan actually.

Can we dump Gomes and take MacD, Berry, and JBJ ??

Dump our most clutch hitter?

Gomes is head and shoulders above anyone else on the team in Late & Close PAs:

.913  Gomes (9 XBH in 60 ABs)

.764  Middy

.708  Nava

.708  Ellsb

.694  Vict

.693  Naps

.684  Pedey

.683  Salty

.683  Papi

.641  Carp

.621  Drew

How about high leverage PAs?

.974  Gomes

.865  Ortiz

.813  Vict

.811  Pedey

.791  Napoli

.754  Drew

.751  Nava

.730  Ellsb

.634  Carp

.630  Middy

.562  Salty

Traditionally, Gomes has been one of the leagues best hitters vs LHPs- a clear weak point on our team.

Sorry. This makes little sense. Gomes is a big part of this team- on the field and off.