Gomes ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Gomes ?

Why is this guy still in the Majors? They got him to hit lefties?Did they mean with his bat or fist.For all those who bought season tickets there's a sucker born every minute.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

Re: Gomes ?

In response to donrd4's comment:

Why is this guy still in the Majors? They got him to hit lefties?Did they mean with his bat or fist.For all those who bought season tickets there's a sucker born every minute.

I am thinking that too. He swings the bat like Gabe Kapler with the contact. Sort of a muscle bound half swing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Because he is "a great clubhouse guy".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

what was this guy signed for with nava, bradley, ells already in the fold?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

mike cameron 2.0, another guy the sox talked up as if he was some great signing, and like cameron he has proved to be nothing but a bust. and they keep pinch hitting him or even worse starting him. he sucks defensively, is hittng what .194? how long do u keep a guy when is only ability is to be a good clubhouse guy? oh right we signed him for 2 years, woo hoo. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Trade him straight up for Posey. SF will go for it if we offer to pay Gomes' salary and use Inception technology. Oh, and send Dempster for Cain, and make them pick up most of Cain's salary. It will work, just go with it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

mike cameron 2.0, another guy the sox talked up as if he was some great signing, and like cameron he has proved to be nothing but a bust. and they keep pinch hitting him or even worse starting him. he sucks defensively, is hittng what .194? how long do u keep a guy when is only ability is to be a good clubhouse guy? oh right we signed him for 2 years, woo hoo. 

Worse than that. Cameron was a heck of a player when healthy, and was good for years on end. Gomes has had short flashes of brilliance, but never has arrived. Hes a Cameron downgrade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya no doubt cameron had a much better career and was actually a good player, i was just comparing at the time the sox signed each of them respectively. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

He's a platoon player with some pop, honestly no reason for the hate. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

He's a platoon player with some pop, honestly no reason for the hate. 

We don't hate the guy..... He just can't hit for a guy you need to pinch hit or DH.....They might be better of with Larvenway .

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Outside of an early OBP and decent defense that at least gave his presence a little merit Gomes has been a huge dissapointment at the plate.  I'm not sure how he hits anything with the unorthodox swing but it's still obvious we need a solid RHH OF on this club.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hes got 62 AB's this year. I imagine most of us thought he would have more.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Wily Mo Gomes

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

what was this guy signed for with nava, bradley, ells already in the fold?

You listed a bunch of lefty(Nava is much better from the left). He was on OBP in the past and he is still drawing walks now. I really don't understand the compliant. His d has been much better than expected.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

It seems that there will always be this line of thinking about reserves.  On one hand, its true, his BA is weak.  On the other, I think that many people do not give enough weight to how much harder it is to hit when you are not getting regular at-bats.  I always factor this in when considering the hard numbers.  Also, there is this basic fact:  much like bullpen arms would be starters if they were just better pitchers (by and large), if a platoon/bench guy was better, he would be a starter.  I don't expect bench guys to come in and be awesome.  If and when they do, a welcome surprise.  Ciriaco shined last year for a few Yankee-killing moments, and then, bench-calibre that he is, he came back down to earth.  

Now, Gomes wasn't paid in accordance with his bench/platoon performance level.  So, this is an understandable beef.  To me, a believer in hard numbers but also a part-time metaphysician, I am willing to see a healthy dollar amount assigned to mysterious ventures like "chemistry".  I am willing to up that amount significantly after 2011 and 2012 Red Sox failures.  Some dismiss "clubhouse" as irrelevant.  But, I don't mind Cherrington adding a million or two per year for "character/clubhouse" in Gomes' case. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

His .346 OBP places him 5th on the team among batters with 40+ PAs.

He has the second best OBP against lefties on the team, so I'd say, yes, he is doing what we got him for, but it would be nice to see more hits along the way rather than BBs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Hes got 62 AB's this year. I imagine most of us thought he would have more.

I didn't. We face more righties than lefties and Nava is much better vs RHPs.

The only way I expected Gomes to have more PAs was if paspi missed extended time or another OF'er got hurt. (Plus, there were thoguths of JBJ taking PAs away from our OF'ers.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

His .346 OBP places him 5th on the team among batters with 40+ PAs.

He has the second best OBP against lefties on the team, so I'd say, yes, he is doing what we got him for, but it would be nice to see more hits along the way rather than BBs.

The OBP has also been dipping moon, he needs to contribute a lot more than he is.