Gomes - Sox agree on 2-year 10 mil deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Gomes - Sox agree on 2-year 10 mil deal

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Way too much money but Ross was probably looking for more.  It will be interesting to see what Cody gets because he may never hit like he did at Fenway next season.

[/QUOTE

Ross hit excatly for his career averages last year and he was a gamer who played hard....just another backward/lateral move by ben....makes about as much sense as the Aviles/Scutaro move last yr...

[/QUOTE]

I think Gomes will be great for the team and tattoo the monster.  He's a "Kevin Millar" type in the clubhouse which was probably a good move.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

ben is useless - he is afraid to sign a star player so he dumpster dives and lets the bootlicker brigades make excuses for him with their usual nonsense about clubhouse guys, dirt dogs, and good values.....

we need pitchers who can step up and dominate, not journeymen players who make no difference to the bottom line of a team that won just 69 games.....

the fact that he dawdled on papi and signed Gomes and not Ross (who was a proven fenway commodity) to save 3 mil a year is infuriating....

the good news is that after 2013, ben will be with valentine in the unemployment line

[/QUOTE]

you do realize that you were completely wrong about the Papi signing, since the two sides agreed to a higher deal than the one you were complaining about Ben not offering?  You wanted them to just settle on the 2yr/$25mill, but they settled on 2yr/$26mill.  Most people would see this as evidence that Papi wanted more than the initial reported offer.

You also might have noticed that very few marquee free agents sign before the Winter Meetings in December.  Agents did not get to be where they are by advising clients to sign the first offer they receive.  Even outlandish offers often get opportunities to be matched.  After all, who is thebiggest free agent name so far this offseason who has not re-signed with his team from last year?

And most of Cherington's defenders are not really not defending Cherington, as you clealy have not noticed.  They are attacking the Whiny Contingency such as yourself who want everything donw NOW, despite seeing X amount of prior offseasons and knowing very few rosters are wrapped up before Thanksgiving.  I have no opinion of Cgherington just yet, but I do have opinions about the Veruca Sat Brigade of RSN

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There is still a lot to be done, and Ben is just beginning.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

ben is useless - he is afraid to sign a star player so he dumpster dives and lets the bootlicker brigades make excuses for him with their usual nonsense about clubhouse guys, dirt dogs, and good values.....

we need pitchers who can step up and dominate, not journeymen players who make no difference to the bottom line of a team that won just 69 games.....

the fact that he dawdled on papi and signed Gomes and not Ross (who was a proven fenway commodity) to save 3 mil a year is infuriating....

the good news is that after 2013, ben will be with valentine in the unemployment line

[/QUOTE]

you do realize that you were completely wrong about the Papi signing, since the two sides agreed to a higher deal than the one you were complaining about Ben not offering?  You wanted them to just settle on the 2yr/$25mill, but they settled on 2yr/$26mill.  Most people would see this as evidence that Papi wanted more than the initial reported offer.

You also might have noticed that very few marquee free agents sign before the Winter Meetings in December.  Agents did not get to be where they are by advising clients to sign the first offer they receive.  Even outlandish offers often get opportunities to be matched.  After all, who is thebiggest free agent name so far this offseason who has not re-signed with his team from last year?

And most of Cherington's defenders are not really not defending Cherington, as you clealy have not noticed.  They are attacking the Whiny Contingency such as yourself who want everything donw NOW, despite seeing X amount of prior offseasons and knowing very few rosters are wrapped up before Thanksgiving.  I have no opinion of Cgherington just yet, but I do have opinions about the Veruca Sat Brigade of RSN

[/QUOTE]
    the fact that you have no opinion of ben is proof that youre raising the white flag in regards to Ben....what part of 2012's GM moves did you think were helpful? Under his leadership the Sox had their worst season since before the moon landing...his decision to allow paps to walk and trade reddick for bailey? melancon? trade the eventual mvp of the world series champs for a guy who has since been dumped for a last place manager and then traded again....theo compensation???? dont forget getting rid of our best long reliever for a one inning set up guy...and oh yea, the bard experiment....hiring valentine then undermining him with his own coaches and supporting players revolting????

youre better off saying i think ben has been bad and hope he learns from his errors...but to have no opinion?  that is amusing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...trade the eventual mvp of the world series champs for a guy who has since been dumped for a last place manager and then traded again....theo compensation???? 

We still have Mortensen- the guy we got for Scutaro.

The Aviles trade brought us Farrell and David Carpenter. He was not protected on the 40 man.

Chris Carpenter was the guy we got for Theo.

Keeping track of who is who is the first job of a competent GM.... even if an armchair one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

There's a fine line between a bland and average team and an aggressive "bring the lunchpail to work" team that plays their tails off and wins games on grit and desire. 

Gomes seems to be right on the edge between these two potential Red Sox identities. I sincerely hope he is the latter and worry he is the former. At any rate a two year deal isn't a big deal, we'll likely be watching Lackey for that long as well....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Too much, IMO.  2/8 would have been my upper limit.  That said, it is far less than Ross for a very similar skill set.  And at least 20 million a year less than Hamilton is likely to get paid. 

Here's hoping Fenway maximizes his strengths, and that Farrell will use him most effectively.  In which case he will be a very good 4th OFer/spare DH/much needed potent pinch-hitter (and somewhat of an expensive one, at that).

[/QUOTE]

Good value, IMO.  As you wrote, it's 60% of what Ross is asking for. And only 2 years.  This is good business, as was David Ross. 

The complainers will be out in force ("overpay" - as if they have a clue...."not a difference maker" - as if every player has to be...."not a big name?" - as if big names sign early....etc.) as ever.  The saddos need something to complain about and garner attention.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

if you think this signing makes us a better team, you deserve what you get...Ross > gomes...we are talking about 10 mil difference over 3 years...chump change literally....although i agree with you about all this game playing about trying to guess how much a player is worth and will sign for...that is a big bore...i go back to my big picture question...how does this signing make the team better? At best it is lateral.....the sox can not get better without a dominant arm, and that will need to be via free agency...if we trade, we lose vital pieces that our team cant afford to lose...waiting only increases the price for values free agents...the reality is that ben has no plan to sign anyone worth getting because he fears what could go wrong as opposed to what can be gained....he has a solid record of risk aversion - this is a fact

ben gave us the worst season in 40 years...he owns it and deserves all the criticism he gets

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Look at it this way: Jonny Gomes reportedly cost the Red Sox less than Bobby Jenks, who two years ago landed a two-year, $12 million contract with the Sox.

Jonny is coming off a 2.1 WAR season with 6.2 career WAR at age 32 while Bobby was coming off a 1.6 WAR season with 8.7 career WAR at age 29.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In response to traven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just seems a strange thing to fill in the bench before firming up the actual lineup...but I will reserve final judgement until I see them in April.

[/QUOTE]

Wow.  Someone with a sense of patience.  Thank you.  So much around here is so nasty and negative, it is refreshing to hear some semblance of wait-and-see, while hoping for a good plan.  I'm with you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My budget limit on Gomes was base 3 x 2. He's a good value and fit in a platoon role, at 3 x 2, so it's not the end of the world at base 5 x 2. Now that it's done it has the benefit of pulling the plug on what would have been a likely huge overpay for Ross, who is nothing more than a platoon guy himself and a 5 x 2 max VF to the Red Sox.

Given Cherry's history, this move is not a bad move at all.

[/QUOTE]

With ya on that.  So, who gets DFA'd now?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/20221122sox_to_get_a_good_guy_in_gomes/

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this link.  So he is brought in for some of the good old-fashioned intangibles.  He'll make a good presence.  Heck, if Crisp can become friends with him, he must have something likeable to him.  Good team guys are important!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/20221122sox_to_get_a_good_guy_in_gomes/

[/QUOTE]

Hey raider,

Although I think its a bit of an overpay, Im fine with it. Gomes is basically Ross with not as good defense. At 15M less(if Ross gets what he wants) Im certainly good with him coming to Boston. From all accounts hes a great team/clubhouse guy as well.

BC is really making sure the player has a solid character as well as fills a need. Good for him. Its will be nice to see these guys have fun again while playing the game they love.

[/QUOTE]

I like nice guys who play hard.  Don't have to rely on so much natural talent and little effort.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Not in love with the move. Hopefully he still goes after Cody Ross as well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey raider,

Although I think its a bit of an overpay, Im fine with it. Gomes is basically Ross with not as good defense. At 15M less(if Ross gets what he wants) Im certainly good with him coming to Boston. From all accounts hes a great team/clubhouse guy as well.

BC is really making sure the player has a solid character as well as fills a need. Good for him. Its will be nice to see these guys have fun again while playing the game they love.

[/QUOTE]

exactly...i'm fine with it also...in fact i really like it..his swing is made for fenway..i like ross but as you said they are almost the same player but we got gomes for less...who knows maybe we bring back ross also.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Managers love this guy. Joe Maddon said he likes Jon Gomes because he plays the game the right way. Bob Melvin likes his leadership with the young guys and Gomes doesn't complain when he isn't playing. He does what he does best and stays healthy. He's upbeat and positive on the bench, something that the Sox need. As far as platooning with Nava or Kalish, I don't think that will happen. Kalish missed all last year and Nava missed significant time with what was listed as a sprained wrist, (37games),  Health issues plagued the Sox last year. Get a healthier upgrade here. After seeing what the A's did last year with Gomes on the cheap an overpay this year for this type of player is a risk worth taking. The A's led the majors in HR's the second half and had great pitching down the stretch to win the ALW on the last day of the season. I don't think the RS will do as well next year as the A's did last year in those categories. Gomes and Inge were the early leaders in getting the A's to come together as a team and to show them how to win, Beane and Melvin and Patterson were the ones behind the scenes changing things up a bit to maximize offense; Moss/Carter platoon @1B, picking up Steve Drew @ the trade deadline to improve offense and defense at SS, being patient with Josh Donaldson at 3B .                 Biggest or at least one of the biggest differences was the hitting with Chilli Davis. The A's were actionable at 4.1 pitches per plate appearance throughout most of the season. They became a "grip it and rip it" team. They didn't care if they led the majors in K's or set a new ML record for team K's. Don't let the opposing pitcher get ahead with first ball fast ball right down the middle. Batters became actionable on the first pitch. Games ran around 3 hrs not 4+ to 5+. Moneyball is a term designed to keep fans in the park longer so that they'll spend more money. If a game in Oakland is over in 3hrs and a game in Boston is over in 5hrs chances are good they're going to sell more beer in the Boston game than in the Oakland game with crowds about the same.         I hope Gomes works for us.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to traven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Chronicle is reporting that Gomes and the Sox have just agreed to a 2 year/10 million deal.

http://blog.sfgate.com/athletics/2012/11/21/red-sox-working-to-sign-gomes/

[/QUOTE]
    Way too much money but Ross was probably looking for more.  It will be interesting to see what Cody gets because he may never hit like he did at Fenway next season.

[/QUOTE]

It was probably a slight overpay by a couple Million, but at only 10M and 2 years its def doable.

[/QUOTE]

It's basically like bringing Ross back southpaw.  I'm most interested in who mans LF next season.

[/QUOTE]

you mean who mans RF? gomes i think will be in LF most of the time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

I'm about ready to divorce myself from MLB, watching the Red Sox, etc and participating in this forum. When very mediocre below average journeyman ball players make silly money of %mil a year after one decent season it may be time to say I've had enough.

Gomes just hit .262 last year with barely hitting above .200 the prior three seasons. He strikes  out about once in slightly over once in every three at bats and isn't a good fielder and he's getting 5mil a season. A player in MLB with a mediocre career record like Gomes finally has one decent season after three years of lower than mediocre performance and his salary escalates by 500%. There is something grossly wrong with MLB. 

The economy stinks, we've still got almost 9% unemployment with most of us seeing less of our paycheck every year yet baseball salaries continue to rise, ticket prices especially in Boston are at an all time high and yet we're expected to fill the parks. I'm not sure about the rest of you but I'm relocated in Milwaukee even though I'm still a Sox fan and even though ticket prices are far cheaper here I can only afford a few games a year.

On top of the ridiculous ticket prices you pay $5.00 for a krappy beer that cost them $10.00 a case wholesale and barely eatable hot dogs for $4.00. 

Sorry to beetch but I'm fed up with it all. For those of us working stiffs all of the above happening while our salaries are worth less each year just shows that whether it is the players or management, there is little to no regard for the fans who support the game.

Hetch 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Too much, IMO.  2/8 would have been my upper limit.  That said, it is far less than Ross for a very similar skill set.  And at least 20 million a year less than Hamilton is likely to get paid. 

Here's hoping Fenway maximizes his strengths, and that Farrell will use him most effectively.  In which case he will be a very good 4th OFer/spare DH/much needed potent pinch-hitter (and somewhat of an expensive one, at that).

[/QUOTE]

Good value, IMO.  As you wrote, it's 60% of what Ross is asking for. And only 2 years.  This is good business, as was David Ross. 

The complainers will be out in force ("overpay" - as if they have a clue...."not a difference maker" - as if every player has to be...."not a big name?" - as if big names sign early....etc.) as ever.  The saddos need something to complain about and garner attention.

[/QUOTE]

could'nt have said it better myself....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    the fact that you have no opinion of ben is proof that youre raising the white flag in regards to Ben....what part of 2012's GM moves did you think were helpful? Under his leadership the Sox had their worst season since before the moon landing...his decision to allow paps to walk and trade reddick for bailey? melancon? trade the eventual mvp of the world series champs for a guy who has since been dumped for a last place manager and then traded again....theo compensation???? dont forget getting rid of our best long reliever for a one inning set up guy...and oh yea, the bard experiment....hiring valentine then undermining him with his own coaches and supporting players revolting????

youre better off saying i think ben has been bad and hope he learns from his errors...but to have no opinion?  that is amusing

[/QUOTE]

Scutaro was traded for Mortenson, not Aviles.  I suppose when you re-write the moves it does build a better case.  And while Scutaro did win World Series MVP, were you also mourning Renteria, who won it in 2010?

Last off-season, the team was hamstrung by budget limitations.  That really does impact the off-season.  Most people get it.  This year, the off-season has barely begun. 

And while Reddick did fluorish while Bailey struggled, I do not think that was a bad deal.  No one could have foretold that opwer surge from Reddick; quit pretending it was inevitable.

It is odd now fans are sad to lose Reddick and Papebon.  Papelbon had more critics from the moment Bard appearsed, and everyone wanted hm gone.  Reddick was declared a bust last August by the overwhleming majority of the Veruca Salt-ers.  But hey, that was THEN, right?

And by the way, criticizing the move of Reddick for Bailey does officially make you a hypocrite, since you have been calling all offseason for the team to move some prospects for a bigger name player.  Apparently you only want them to make those moves so you can criticize them later...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My budget limit on Gomes was base 3 x 2. He's a good value and fit in a platoon role, at 3 x 2, so it's not the end of the world at base 5 x 2. Now that it's done it has the benefit of pulling the plug on what would have been a likely huge overpay for Ross, who is nothing more than a platoon guy himself and a 5 x 2 max VF to the Red Sox.

Given Cherry's history, this move is not a bad move at all.

[/QUOTE]

So 60% of reality.   Way to judge the market, Stiffy!

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Someone living even further in the past than you might say that if Babe Ruth was paid £80k, how can you justify $3m for Gomes.

I do think you're pretty good on fit, but in terms of $ you're often miles away from the market.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

If Gomes and Nava play a lot, we're all watching a last place team again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Gomes and Nava play a lot, we're all watching a last place team again.

[/QUOTE]

Nonsense.  Could a team win the division and WS with LF production of 20 HR, OBP of .350 and an OPS of .800 albeit with mediocre fielding?  Of course!

It's completely reasonable to assume a Gomes/Nava platoon in LF could easily achieve that, probably more.  I would prefer an upgrade on Nava, though.