Gomez @ 1st, Napoli @ D H, Lavarnway & Ross @ catcher........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Gomez @ 1st, Napoli @ D H, Lavarnway & Ross @ catcher........

SALTY will be gone .......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Gomez @ 1st, Napoli @ D H, Lavarnway & Ross @ catcher........

why? because Lavarnway finally hit the ball and threw out a couple runners?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Lefty, You have to ask WHY ???  Just get back to me on the 1st game....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

yes, I do...can you please give me your reasons?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

yes, I do...can you please give me your reasons?

OK and let me be clear.......  1/ Papi is done, certainly will not be there in April..... 2/ Napoli can  D H ........3/ The "BLOCKBUSTER" trade of SALTY & OTHERS may bring in another 1st baseman...... 4/ I know that Gomez may not be "all world" with the glove, but I do think that he has some "POP" in the bat........

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

You dont think Naps has looked great at 1b so far? Hes made a number of short hop catches from bad throws and also has made some very nice diving plays. His bat is better than Gomez as well. So the way I see it is Naps can give you both O and D at 1b. Its yet to be determined if Papi doesnt start the season. The last reports look very good, so I wouldnt bet against it. Obviously there should be SOME concern, but most here are over reacting and misinterpreting the Sox taking a very cautious approach with his ST program.

Now, If the Sox arent doing very good come the trade deadline, then maybe I can see a couple moves being made. But the way it looks now is the Sox will keep Naps at 1b and go year to year with him depending on his health. Salty will, and should, be our starting catcher and Lavarnway, Iggy and Gomez will be in AAA...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

You dont think Naps has looked great at 1b so far? Hes made a number of short hop catches from bad throws and also has made some very nice diving plays. His bat is better than Gomez as well. So the way I see it is Naps can give you both O and D at 1b. Its yet to be determined if Papi doesnt start the season. The last reports look very good, so I wouldnt bet against it. Obviously there should be SOME concern, but most here are over reacting and misinterpreting the Sox taking a very cautious approach with his ST program.

Now, If the Sox arent doing very good come the trade deadline, then maybe I can see a couple moves being made. But the way it looks now is the Sox will keep Naps at 1b and go year to year with him depending on his health. Salty will, and should, be our starting catcher and Lavarnway, Iggy and Gomez will be in AAA...

I see your point/s .....  I just think that Ben has been gathering "chips" for the "right move/s"...... Also, Napoli could be the right handed Papi if David is not ready to go .....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I see your point/s .....  I just think that Ben has been gathering "chips" for the "right move/s"...... Also, Napoli could be the right handed Papi if David is not ready to go .....

I agree with you that if Papi goes down, Naps would be a good choice. Although since Gomez lacks defensively, he might be the better choice. We also agree in that BC has been gathering pieces to make that "big move". I just think things are going to play out a bit before that move is made...Appreciate your honest answers Bill...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

OK and let me be clear.......  1/ Papi is done, certainly will not be there in April..... 2/ Napoli can  D H ........3/ The "BLOCKBUSTER" trade of SALTY & OTHERS may bring in another 1st baseman...... 4/ I know that Gomez may not be "all world" with the glove, but I do think that he has some "POP" in the bat........

Well Billy boy, if you are right the old ballclub is in big trouble for 2013. But I think you are wrong about Ortiz, though, he will be back...the question is for how long??

Moving Napoli to the DH role and replacing Salty and Ortiz with Gomez and the 'so-called' next Fisk would be crippling to that everyday line-up.

Benny better get back a strong hitting left handed first baseman in his blockbuster if what you say is anywhere close to being factual...you lucked out with the first blockbuster...I don't expect the same result this time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

Well Billy boy, if you are right the old ballclub is in big trouble for 2013. But I think you are wrong about Ortiz, though, he will be back...the question is for how long??

Moving Napoli to the DH role and replacing Salty and Ortiz with Gomez and the 'so-called' next Fisk would be crippling to that everyday line-up.

Benny better get back a strong hitting left handed first baseman in his blockbuster if what you say is anywhere close to being factual...you lucked out with the first blockbuster...I don't expect the same result this time.

"RYAN FISK" had 3 hits (2 doubles) yesterday & threw out a runner at 3rd !!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If Ortiz is not ready by OD and requires significant time off, I see JBJ in the starting lineup as a RF on opening day.  Gomes will DH and Naps stays at 1B.  JBJ seems to be having no problems with dealing lefties on the mound.  CC projected to be on the mound on 4/1, our lineup would look something like this if Ortiz is not ready by then.  

Jackie Bradley Jr. RF

Shane Victorino LF

Dustin Pedroia 2B

Mike Napoli 1B

Jocoby Ellsbury CF

Will Middlebrooks 3B

Jonny Gomes DH

Jarrod Saltalamacchia C

Stephen Drew SS

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

True, he had a great game. Thats encouraging, but not enough to hand him the starting catchers job in Boston just yet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

More spam.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

See I don't see the RS players like Salty as chips now. However come July there are quite a few that could bring young players and draft choices.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

See I don't see the RS players like Salty as chips now. However come July there are quite a few that could bring young players and draft choices.

You can't trade draft choices in baseball.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

If Ortiz is not ready by OD and requires significant time off, I see JBJ in the starting lineup as a RF on opening day.  Gomes will DH and Naps stays at 1B.  

what does JBJ in RF have anything to do with papi not ready for OD? Gomes is the LF'er and SV is our starting RF'er. JBJ will start the year in the minors barring a big injury. I imagine Gomez might get a shot at DH if Papi goes down or they will employ a DH by committee.

The reason I am so against JBJ starting in Boston is he will not play 100% of the time like he needs to. Also he is a great CF'er and switching his position is not a good idea at this point in his development IMO. I think The people in Baseball Ops agree...I understand wanting to see him in Boston, and we will soon enough. I just dont think its wise to force it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

True, he had a great game. Thats encouraging, but not enough to hand him the starting catchers job in Boston just yet.

OK, OK .... Howevaa, I look at Lavarnway and I see "circa 1972" and the same path that Fisk was on .....  If I can remember, Fisk showed he could play in spring training , but really showed his skills after the season started.......  ( My dates might be off, but CIRCA covers it)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Are you suggesting that the Red Sox designate Jarrod Saltalamacchia for assignment?

If not, what do you think the Red Sox could get back in a trade? What team needs Saltalamacchia more than the Red Sox do?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

OK, OK .... Howevaa, I look at Lavarnway and I see "circa 1972" and the same path that Fisk was on .....  If I can remember, Fisk showed he could play in spring training , but really showed his skills after the season started.......  ( My dates might be off, but CIRCA covers it)

Lav has a lot of the same tools Fisk had, thats true. problem is, Lavarnway didnt start catching until his 2nd-3rd year at Yale. Christian Vasquez is further along defensively than Lavarnway.

He really does need another year in AAA. Hes still young for a catcher and giving him 100 games behind the plate will let us know if hes good enough to stick at the position or maybe a move to 1b. It will also let us see if Salty keeps moving forward in his development before he hits FA.

If a move is going to be made Bill, I would bet it wont happen (if at all) at the trade deadline. Also it will take more than just salty to net a good return for the future...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

More spam.

Carnie,  Why so RUDE, son ????   Actually I thought my posts have been pretty good this morning ??  Trying to communicate with the real baseball posters and leave my sense of humor aside.....     But Carnie, I notice that you are actually worse than me, as your favorite 1-liner "SPAM" is just, sooooo childish.......  Now give it a gooood try, heck if I can do it, Im sure a bright individual like you can do so too !!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Are you suggesting that the Red Sox designate Jarrod Saltalamacchia for assignment?

If not, what do you think the Red Sox could get back in a trade? What team needs Saltalamacchia more than the Red Sox do?

I think both of Chicago teams could use Salty.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

So you base everything on ONE spring training game against a WBC team?? In this case Daniel Nava should be in the HOF...hitting a Grand slam in his first AB in a real game a few years ago.

Carlton Lavarnway still has a few things to prove before I say we move Salty and use him...BTW, there is another kid named Christian Vazquez who might just steal your boys thunder in Boston.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Also,  25 H R's has VALUE !!!! ... i JUST DON'T THINK HE IS A GOOD CATCHER....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

what do you think he would fetch us (realistically)? And would the return better than what he gives us? Also, is it a smart idea to hand the starting catchers job to Lavarnway?

The Sox are still trying to compete this year. salty has a connection with our starters and they are comfortable with him. Thats very important for the success of our rotation.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If Napoli is the DH, Overbay would probably play 1B over Gomez.

Gomez is probably DFA by opening day..