Gonzalez blames the Monster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Gonzalez blames the Monster

He told the LA Times that in 2011 the Monster intercepted five balls that, presumably, would have left the yard elsewhere. Would that have been in San Diego? Supposedly, he hit balls there that died in left because of the distance. Maybe he has an in-between park in mind.
    In Boston, he hit some homers that barely made it over the wall, coming down. They were not line drives. Other fly balls hit the wall coming down. Most of these, we can assume, would have been caught in San Diego and in most other parks.
    It's often been said the Monster giveth and taketh away. Perhaps that was the case with Gonzalez. All of his hits have probably been charted somewhere. Maybe someone somewhere can show whether the wall robbed Gonzalez of 5 dingers last year and some this year and gifted him X number of hits during his time in Boston. 
    Since I have only impressions of balls he hit to left, over and against the wall, I can't comment on the validity of Gonzo's complaint. 
    When he was signed, lots of people were excited by the prospect of what Gonzalez would do with and to the Monster. Apparently, he leaves with other feelings, at least as regards home runs. His remarks should not be taken on their face to indicate that the Monster got into his head, or affected his hitting.
    But they do indicate that he had "issues" with it. 
    Dodger Stadium has sensible dimensions but also can have heavy night air that inhibits homers. Maybe his power will play better there. I saw him play many games there and in San Diego when he was with the Padres, and do not recall that he hit well in LA. He must have hit well most places in order to record good numbers overall before he came to Boston.
    He also said that people did not appreciate his calmness. He could not have been happy with "all the other stuff," his role in which is still unclear.
    All things considered, he will be better off in LA, and vice versa. 
    For myriad reasons, Gonzo in Boston did not work out. Perhaps we should just let it go at that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Gonzalez blames the Monster

Gonzalez looked happy and refreshed to be out of Boston, and he didn't waste much time showing it, blasting a three-run home run in his first at-bat with the Dodgers. It could be the beginning of a very productive relationship in Southern California.

As for Gonzalez's time in Boston, he revealed that while he didn't want to necessarily leave, there were some contentious aspects of playing there. More specifically, he said the media helped twist his image some.

"They didn't like that I was a calm person," Gonzalez said, according to the Los Angeles Times. "I won't throw my helmet, I won't scream, I won't use bad words if I strike out. That's what they want over there.

"You can't control what others say," he added. "I was the same person in San Diego. They took me over there and I didn't change. My intensity, how I prepared, everything was the same. When they took me over there, they took me over there to drive in runs. And I did that."

One of the biggest problems fans and media had with Gonzalez in his short time in Boston was the lack of power the slugger displayed. After hitting 32 home runs per season while playing at spacious Petco Park in San Diego, Gonzalez only hit 42 home runs in his almost two seasons with the Red Sox.

The reason for that power outage, according to Gonzalez? The Green Monster.

"What took my power away was the Green Monster," he said of the 37-foot wall at Boston's Fenway Park, also according to the Times. "I used to hit line drives and they would be doubles. That took away five home runs from me last year. So I would have 32."

Gonzalez had 15 home runs at the time of the trade. He thinks he would have had more than 20 if not for the fabled wall.

"My power hasn't left me," he said. "In San Diego, a lot of my home runs used to be to left field."

Gonzalez infamously stated earlier this season that he was "just trying to hit singles," and he backed that up in a way this weekend.

"What's most important is to drive in runs, not hit home runs," he said. "A home run is a run."

Gonzalez is a .334 lifetime hitter at Fenway with 18 home runs and 99 RBIs in 146 games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

If Big Papi can hit 25 to over 30 hrs a year, Agonz can do it too.  Quit blaming the wall.  There is a right field that anyone can hit it over there!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I believe his take to be true.  Even amidst his slump in the first half, he was driving in runs and his slugging% was high.  Why?  Cuz he was peppering the Monstah.  If he had put a few more line-drives a little higher, there would have been a lot less talk about his slump/power outage.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Gonzalez blames the Monster:
    [QUOTE]If Big Papi can hit 25 to over 30 hrs a year, Agonz can do it too.  Quit blaming the wall.  There is a right field that anyone can hit it over there!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ.  Papi has a homerun hitter's stroke.  Big uppercut.  Pure slugger.  Long swing.  Pull hitter, which, as you say, is great for Fenway cuz anyone can hit it over there.  Of course, that swing got him into trouble in later years (til Adrian schooled him).  But Adrian himself is not that kind of hitter.  He is a line-drive all-fields hitter.  He has so much power that he hits linedrives for homeruns.  What makes him so dangerous is that he uses all fields and can hit homers and find gaps everywhere.  But the all-fields line drive power is negated with the Monstah.  Yes, if he tailored his swing to be a pure pull hitter, he could put more balls out by Johnny Pesky's pole.  But, he wouldn;t be nearly the hitter he is if he did that.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzalez blames the Monster : I beg to differ.  Papi has a homerun hitter's stroke.  Big uppercut.  Pure slugger.  Long swing.  Pull hitter, which, as you say, is great for Fenway cuz anyone can hit it over there.  Of course, that swing got him into trouble in later years (til Adrian schooled him).  But Adrian himself is not that kind of hitter.  He is a line-drive all-fields hitter.  He has so much power that he hits linedrives for homeruns.  What makes him so dangerous is that he uses all fields and can hit homers and find gaps everywhere.  But the all-fields line drive power is negated with the Monstah.  Yes, if he tailored his swing to be a pure pull hitter, he could put more balls out by Johnny Pesky's pole.  But, he wouldn;t be nearly the hitter he is if he did that.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

First of all, his first homerun at Dodger stadium was just around the right field foul pole.  That would be an easy homerun at fenway park.   I havent seen him hitting that homerun down the right field in a year and a half as a member of the Red Sox.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Justifiable homocide might be ok to accept, but it doesn't always make it right. I'm a little tired of AGON bashing in here. It's disgusting. Ex says move on, and maybe he's right, but please don't tell me fans that you really thought AGON wasn't there to help the team and didn't peform at an All-Star level. He most certainly was the team's best hitter this year and most of last...I don't know what else he was supposed to..I guess he had to walk on water and hit 50 home runs...I don't know. But his loss is a loss. You can departmentalize in your head that it's great for the team, great for team morale, great for BV, great to get out of a longterm contract, great to no longer watch him not peform in the clutch, whatever satisfies your cat fancy...AGON was a great Red Sox and I will miss him. And I believe the team will over the next few seasons, his loss offensively to a lineup that will be quite pedestrian for years to come will be felt. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

If you guys have not read this article I have copied and pasted some comments from Beckett & Gonzo that should help us ease the lamenting(by many) of their departure. Please go read the rest of the article but and I said this too in previous posts that there just seemed to be some chemistry missing that for somehow didn’t allow for some clutch hits. I really think we probably tried to trade Crawford & Beckett only but there were no takers. Sure I’d loved to get rid of them & keep Agon but it was necessary for him to go to make the deal.  Best hitter we had and maybe I’m greedy but he still failed to make some clutch hits and really didn’t give us the 30-40 hrs we expected so I’ll need get over his loss too.  As I’m a SF Giant fan too(Boston 1st), the Dodgers are like the Yankees to us and I know the trade makes them want to win the division and at least the wild card. Giants too w/o dummy Melky Cabrera(suspension) & only a 2 game lead can be caught. But Beckett needs to perform & fortunately Crawford having surgery will not be available this year so it’s really Agon’s performance that could make LA’s difference. Somehow, I don’t hate this LA team as much as I do the Lakers !!!

New Dodgers reflect on time in Boston

Ex-Red Sox Beckett, Gonzalez move on in LA

By Amalie Benjamin

Globe Staff  / August 26, 2012

They didn’t quite understand why it all went south, why a team with so much talent couldn’t win the games it needed to win. They acknowledged that they bore some responsibility for that, though Gonzalez also said that he felt his tenure in Boston had been a success.

“I know we’ve said it all along, the players have — we just didn’t play good baseball,” Gonzalez said. “Then all these other things came out, but they were zero reason why we lost. This year we just couldn’t put it together. Beckett echoed the statement. “We were very talented,” he said. “We should have played better. That’s what I told Ben Cherington. I don’t think that he wants to trade away everybody. I just think we made it impossible for him not to do that by not playing well.

“I’m as big a part of that as anybody. That’s not what they wanted to do. They wanted Adrian to stay. They wanted me to stay. They wanted Nick [Punto] to stay. They wanted Carl [Crawford] to stay. We just didn’t do our jobs.”

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]Justifiable homocide might be ok to accept, but it doesn't always make it right. I'm a little tired of AGON bashing in here. It's disgusting. Ex says move on, and maybe he's right, but please don't tell me fans that you really thought AGON wasn't there to help the team and didn't peform at an All-Star level. He most certainly was the team's best hitter this year and most of last...
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Ortiz   .318 /  .415 /  .611  / 1.025
    Ross   .278 /  .342 /  .520 /  .862
    AGon  .300 /  .343 /  .469  /  .813

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ernstbln. Show ernstbln's posts

As to the media and how they treat the Red Sox players, those of us old enuf to watch Ted Williams, his fight with the media was epic !! He was fined a huge amount for gestures and spitting at the press box. 60 years later nothing has changed !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

tom-uk, Ortiz has been out for more than a month and likely the rest of the year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzalez blames the Monster : First of all, his first homerun at Dodger stadium was just around the right field foul pole.  That would be an easy homerun at fenway park.   I havent seen him hitting that homerun down the right field in a year and a half as a member of the Red Sox.  
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Are you implying that he was holding out on hitting them to right in Fenway?  Of course he has pull power.  but he doesn't force it.  If a pitcher gives him something to pull, he pulls it.  Josh Johnson hadnt seen him in a while, did just that, and Adrian did what he was supposed to do with that pitch.  Pitchers arent stupid.  No one was serving anything like that to him in Fenway precisely because of the little league dimensions you speak of.  And, for what it is worth, I saw him hit more than a couple out to right in Fenway.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

let me add Space, that it was easy for pitchers to throw changeups to AGON and work the outside half of the plate, knowing that going inside fastball to aGON was death for them. For one, AGON was one of the only hitters in the lineup anyone had to work around, and for two, by throwing him on the outside part of the plate, there was a better chance that a ball would stay in the yard--the Monster as AGON is more a linedrive guy than a high towering guy--Cody Ross to me is a guy who hits with a tower, same with Salty. Ortiz is a linedrive guy too, more so than towering drive guy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Just more excuses to try and justify dumping him. If it makes you feel better, knock yourself out!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Beckett's quote that he included AGON in the "didn't do his job" was bogus. AGON was not Josh Beckett by any leap or bound. People also forget that AGON took a bullett by playing RF for several games so that Youks and Middlebrooks and Ortiz could be in the lineup regularly. But he's such a prima donna..wow, fans just turn on you here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzalez blames the Monster : Are you implying that he was holding out on hitting them to right in Fenway?  Of course he has pull power.  but he doesn't force it.  If a pitcher gives him something to pull, he pulls it.  Josh Johnson hadnt seen him in a while, did just that, and Adrian did what he was supposed to do with that pitch.  Pitchers arent stupid.  No one was serving anything like that to him in Fenway precisely because of the little league dimensions you speak of.  And, for what it is worth, I saw him hit more than a couple out to right in Fenway.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    Early this season, indeed up to the half-way point, Gonzalez did get many pitches on the inner half or a little tighter. He missed them. He also got some curves coming to him without much bite. He missed them. He was in a slump. Right, he can and will turn on balls inside, but he can also be pitched inside, especially up, if he's been set up for the pitch. He does like to go after the high FB. And he will chase it. 
    I think that Gonzalez has a longer swing than Papi's. Adrian strokes. Papi explodes. One swings more with his arms, the other with his wrists. Papi has more of an upper-cut but not by much. Adrian tries to "serve" the pitch with his uppercut, Papi to lose it. 
    It's true that Papi is the "pure slugger" of the two. It's true that Adrian hits better to all fields, in general. But it's also true that Papi has hit monster homers over the Monster in left-center. I don't recall Adrian's doing that. It's also true that Adrian helped Papi to poke balls the other way. 
    The conventional wisdom is that Adrian lost homers to the big pasture in Petco, and now, according to him, to the Monster in Fenway. All of this may be correct. Left in Dodger Stadium is neither a pasture nor a Mickey Mouse field.
    After Petco and Fenway, it would appear to be just what the batter ordered. With Adrian's power, if he's pitched away, he should be able to take advantage of his new home. Line drives, his specialty, should have enough thrust to cut through that damp air in Chavez. 
    While Gonzalez does not advertise himself as a "slugger," and certainly was not one in Boston, for whatever reasons, he comes with expectations for power. Otherwise he would not hit third or fourth in the lineup. It is not unreasonable to expect him hit 30+ homers. He may do just that -- and more -- for the Dodgers. Surely his new club has that in mind, as did the Red Sox. He also figures to hit .280/.310.
    He will drive in runs. His glove is magic.
    In Boston, it's spilt milk.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzalez blames the Monster : 2012 Ortiz   .318 /  .415 /  .611  / 1.025 Ross   .278 /  .342 /  .520 /  .862 AGon  .300 /  .343 /  .469  /  .813
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Stats are a b!tch, eh? I think that somehow we can blame Valentine for Gonzalez's lack of power.....someone will think of a reason V is to blame.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

It's cute how they try to make Punto feel included. But seriously, nobody in Boston cares he's gone and nobody in LA cares he's there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

[QUOTE]Justifiable homocide might be ok to accept, but it doesn't always make it right. I'm a little tired of AGON bashing in here. It's disgusting. Ex says move on, and maybe he's right, but please don't tell me fans that you really thought AGON wasn't there to help the team and didn't peform at an All-Star level. He most certainly was the team's best hitter this year and most of last...I don't know what else he was supposed to..I guess he had to walk on water and hit 50 home runs...I don't know. But his loss is a loss. You can departmentalize in your head that it's great for the team, great for team morale, great for BV, great to get out of a longterm contract, great to no longer watch him not peform in the clutch, whatever satisfies your cat fancy...AGON was a great Red Sox and I will miss him. And I believe the team will over the next few seasons, his loss offensively to a lineup that will be quite pedestrian for years to come will be felt. 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. This was one acqusition Theo got right. Unfortunately, as was already mentioned on this thread, The Dodgers weren't taking the other guys without Adrian.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzalez blames the Monster : Stats are a b!tch, eh? I think that somehow we can blame Valentine for Gonzalez's lack of power.....someone will think of a reason V is to blame.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

You both need to look up hitting with RISP and hitting with two outs and late innings in close games.  This is where Gonzlez excelled.  He led the team in RBI last season and this.  He was their best pure hitter.  Ortiz is their best power hitter.  And Gonzalez was suddenly a guy who hits 50 doubles and 20 HRs a year, instead of 35 and 35.  I DO believe the green monster had a lot to do with that. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

He will be missed for both his attitude and abilities. If a guy has 86 RBIs with jut 15 hrs he is still doing things right. There are plenty of guys with 25+HRs and under 50 RBI

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

AGon was terrific in Boston without the 40 dingers per year.  That said, I question his complaint about the green monster because it also helped him get some cheap doubles.  Plus he had no problem hitting dingers before the all-star game last year. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

MLB Network mapped all of Gonzos HRs at Fenway and I think 11 of them that went over the Monster would not have been HR's in LA. So the Monster giveth the Monster taketh away.....in any case he shouldnt be talking about it. He wasnt exactly hitting Road HRS.....7 this year, 3 of which was in the launching pad that is Yankee Stadium 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]AGon was terrific in Boston without the 40 dingers per year.  That said, I question his complaint about the green monster because it also helped him get some cheap doubles.  Plus he had no problem hitting dingers before the all-star game last year. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]
    It probably would have been wiser for Gonzalez to say nothing about the Monster, and to have just shown his stuff in LA. Now he's got people looking into the case
    ( see the next post ), and raising questions. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

lets not dissect everything agon has to say now...he was a good guy who played hard and well...he even played 18 games in RF...i hope he does really well in LA..hes one of the good guys