Gonzalez blames the Monster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: Gonzalez blames the Monster

The first home run as a Dodger he pulled the ball out. As far as I could tell he stopped doing that in Boston and just kept aiming for the wall. I was pro Teixeira as a better fit for the Red Sox at the end of the 2008 season. Now when everyone critisized me it looks like he clearly was the better choice. Teixeira was a switch hitter who would have done well in Boston plus he is not a "crap house lawyer" like AGON was. AGON was a small market player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"I won't throw my helmet, I won't scream, I won't use bad words if I strike out. That's what they want over there.

This is so true. I call it Trot Nixon syndrome. It's why Drew was bashed. It's why many called Manny lazy, when he worked out harder than 90% of his teammates.

If there is one lesson Sox fans could learn, it should be...

Calmness is a virtue in baseball. It should not be confused with not caring or being lazy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I remember some guys posting AGon's spray charts from Petco. It showed he'd hit more HRs here, but they neglected to figure in that now pitchers could pitch him much differently by allowing him to pull the ball more in Fenway, and that his deep hit balls to LF were more of the line-drive variety than moonshots.

Regardless, AGon's complaining continues, but it least now it is elsewhere.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I never thought of AGon as a complainer, but this blaming the monster certainly qualifies him.  The most telling stat to me about 2011 is that Ellsbury had more dingers than AGon.  And this year Ortiz has a bunch more despite playing over 30 fewer games. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Blaiming him for what? For having 5 less homers and 5 more doubles? Why he ever was put in a position to feel he needed to justify how he drives in 100+ runs each year is beyond me. The player was stellar.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: Gonzalez blames the Monster:
    [QUOTE]"I won't throw my helmet, I won't scream, I won't use bad words if I strike out. That's what they want over there. This is so true. I call it Trot Nixon syndrome. It's why Drew was bashed. It's why many called Manny lazy, when he worked out harder than 90% of his teammates. If there is one lesson Sox fans could learn, it should be... Calmness is a virtue in baseball. It should not be confused with not caring or being lazy.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Try Kevin Youkilis syndrome.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I wonder if he blamed the thin air in Coors Field because he went 0-3 last night.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

For those defending AGon, I entirely agree he is worth defending.  He gave the  Sox good value in rbi's, OPS, fielding, playing every darn day, and even showing Ortiz the value of hitting to LF.

But the subject du jour is what AGon said, not what someone on this board said.  And AGon basically says he got robbed.  So my first point is, why should he even bring the subject up? 

And my second is that he is forgetting his dinger production was fine before the 2011 all-star game and pretty lousy ever since.  Something happened, and it was probably related to the dinger contest and his possibly still recovering shoulder. 

My third is Petco is a lot bigger than Fenway in RF and LF, but he hit more home runs there every year for the four years prior to coming to Fenway. 

My fourth is that this year AGon is headed for a new low in dingers, below the 27 he hit last year, regardless of what he says.

My fifth is that Ellsbury had no problem hitting dingers last year, nor did Ortiz who, when he is healthy, has never had a problem hitting dingers at Fenway. 

So, by all means, defend AGon, but not his silly claim he was robbed by the green monster. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

As far as blaming the Monster, I recall a couple of cheap 310 foot flies, that made the first row for HRs.
    The wall giveth and taketh away. Usually it hurts line drive hitters, like Middlebrooks, and favors guys with lift, like Ross.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I never thought of AGon as a complainer, but this blaming the monster certainly qualifies him.  The most telling stat to me about 2011 is that Ellsbury had more dingers than AGon.  And this year Ortiz has a bunch more despite playing over 30 fewer games. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

I thought he was the guy who complained about the schedule last year, and the doubleheader played to avoid the hurricane. The one where Henry bribed the crybabies with a yacht trip and expensive headphones.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Like I said, every Sox player who is sent out of town is a bad guy...It's always that way. All bad guys. Who's the next bad guy? Is it Pedroia? Maybe Ross will say something that irks fans in the next month? Aceves already has fan turned on him after his argument with BV.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzalez blames the Monster : I thought he was the guy who complained about the schedule last year, and the doubleheader played to avoid the hurricane. The one where Henry bribed the crybabies with a yacht trip and expensive headphones.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Guess it just depends on one's definition of 'complained'.  One person's 'mentioned off hand' is another's 'complained'.  Personally, I feel like when people say "Adrian wasn't cut out for this big market', they mean 'Adrian had trouble understanding that in Boston, whatever you mention off-hand will be construed as a complaint at the very least, but more likely will cast you as a selfish malcontent'.  Fair enough.  he sure didn't.  But, it was God's will that he couldn't figure that out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

lol, space.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gonzalez blames the Monster : I don't think Sox ownership was too unhappy about saying goodbye to Gonzalez and his salary. _________________________________ Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Clown
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]

I dont think they were either...To me, he didnt fit...For what he was being paid, he had a lot of excuses and didnt know how to handle playing in Boston.
    Its not easy to play here, but you can def make it a lot harder if you dont hustle out EVERY GB, play hard every day, make excuses and not be accountable...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How is AGon leaving Boston "on bad terms"? He was traded out of the blue, and looked happy to be in LA. Almost everyone is saying we will miss him, but as always are pointing out his few faults or the benifits of the rest of the deal/dump.

Yes, there is now some revisionist history going on, but it seems like any player being traded by any team is being shunned in some way.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

by the fans, moon, by the fans. i'm reading a different forum than you because there is flat out hate going on with the AGON trade. Not fit, didn't hit enough for power, too religious, too outspoken. The guy can't win here, but he sure did hit here. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The only thing i really saw was he didnt seem comfortable here...Thus, a bad fit...Some complaining and excuses, but I can live with that if he produces...

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]by the fans, moon, by the fans. i'm reading a different forum than you because there is flat out hate going on with the AGON trade. Not fit, didn't hit enough for power, too religious, too outspoken. The guy can't win here, but he sure did hit here. 
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I'm reading:

"He will be missed, but we got rid of so much deadwood..."
    "We couldn't win anyways next year, even with him" (is not necessarily a slam on him, but maybe on the rest of the team)
    "There are no FAs on the market to come close to replacing AGon".

Many posters, including softy, who should be rejoicing at the dumping of CC, Beckett, and Punto-all players he called untradable, is calling the loss of AGon and the dumping of our big mistakes "an embarrassment".

It's human nature to second guess. Yes, some here are revising history, but they are not the majority. AGon is going to have a fabulous career. We now have $250M more budget space to replace his value. $60M for next year alone, plus the $28M we had before the trade is almost $100M to spend and be even with this year with basically only 1B and DH to refill due to this trade and the possible loss of Papi.

It's not going to happen, but with $100M plus the prospects gained, we could get:

Hamilton  $28M/yr
    Greinke  $20M/yr
    Peavy     $18M/yr
    Napoli     $14M or Papi $14M/yr
    Ludwick  $10M or Ross $8M/yr

We'd still have $10-12M to spend at the deadline to fill gaps...

Is AGon better than those top 3 FAs plus the prospects?

It's not a put down of AGon when I say this deal was fantastic.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Many posters, including softy, who should be rejoicing at the dumping of CC, Beckett, and Punto-all players he called untradable

If the Red Sox send their best hitter and 12 million to get rid of Crawford and Beckett, that's not a trade. Beckett and Crawford were unclaimed off waivers and were both untradeable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They were claimed off waivers...by the Dodgers. That was the trade, along with "untradeable Punto". I suggested possible trades where we give CC and Punto for some other team's deadwood (like Zito) to lessen our financial hit over the next 5 years, but I really didn't expect packaging AGon to get it done.

How much is AGon worth? (Contract wise)

How much is needed to replace him in equal or greater value (not just at 1B)?

On the market, maybe 80% of the teams couldn't even afford AGon or already have a great and/or high-priced 1Bman.

I'd say if AGon were a FA this winter, he'd get about what he is getting now. You may assume further incompetence by upper management that assumes they will bungle the spending of the "savings" of losing over $250M, but I see this as a no-brainer in terms of any GM being able to replace AGon, CC, Punto, and Beckett with $250M for a net gain in value. Even if they bungle and overpay for Hamilton and Greinke we'd be better off with those 2 than the 4 we lost. Then, we got some decent prospects on top of it all.

I realize that there is some "embarrasment" involved in admitting they made a big mistake, but the emabarrasment was in the signing of these 3 guys, not the dumping of their contracts on an over-eager GM. The trade, and yes it is a trade, was brilliant.

25. This post has been removed.