Good article about Christian Vazquez and Blake Swihart

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Good article about Christian Vazquez and Blake Swihart

Good article about Swihart and Vazquez from Andrew Martin at ESPNBoston.com.

Here's a paragraph and link to read the rest:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boston-red-sox-prospect-team-catcher-future-164700942--mlb.html

Possessing Baseball America's 2013 strongest farm system, the Boston Red Sox are flush with young talent coming up through their system. 

They have the prospects to replenish just about any position where they may have a need.

In particular, catcher is a position the team will need a long-term solution to in the not too distant future. In Christian Vazquez and Blake Swihart, there are two youngsters who appear to have the best chances of being the next in line. However, which one of them will it be?

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Re: Good article about Christian Vazquez and Blake Swihart

This is a couple weeks old, but it is still a great article about Vazquez.  I think on defense alone, Vazquez could play right now.  I am very encouraged that he has walked more than he struck out after a promotion to AA and has very good OBP skills.  I honestly think he has a better chance at being a successful catcher in the majors than Swihart personally. 

Reasons why I think he has a better chance... he is the better defender and would have the best cannon and pop time in the game right now if he started in the majors IMO.  Gold glove written all over him and that is the name of the game with catchers.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/01/18/vazquez-receives-high-praise/kNDnHzS2f0XLAup6yPraNO/story.html

Many young players will create a buzz in spring training, opening some eyes that may not have been paying attention. Catcher Christian Vazquez did just that last year, showing off his strong and accurate arm, gunning down all five would-be base stealers in his 15 appearances, including one start.

Vazquez, a ninth-round pick by the Red Sox out of Puerto Rico in 2008, threw out 47 percent (47 of 101) of attempted base stealers with Double A Portland last season before earning a promotion to Pawtucket. Overall he hit .287 with a .766 OPS in 97 games.

“Really fun [pitching to Vazquez],” said righthander Anthony Ranaudo, who participated in the Red Sox’ rookie workout, held inside the bubble Friday at Harvard Stadium. “It takes a lot of pressure off when there’s guys on base. He does a great job calling games. I threw to him in 2011 and that was probably the biggest thing I noticed throwing to him in 2013, he calls a great game. And not that he didn’t in 2011, but he’s learned a lot.

“Christian’s definitely very close,” said Ben Crockett, director of player development. “I think we’re very lucky to be in a position where we’ve got three guys — and potentially four with Blake [Swihart] — at the upper levels that they could help us at the major league level. Obviously [Ryan] Lavarnway was there last year and is the most experienced of that group.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

I saw a lot of Vasquez last year in Spring training, in both MLB games and minor league games and he is an outstanding defensive catcher who will continue to improve as a hitter. I don't understand why he's never on anyone's top prospect list. I was not sold on Swihart; thought he was small and did not stay low in his crouch very well. But he has put on lots of pounds, presumably good, healthy pounds, and must have done something to earn the defensive player of the year recognition. He has the better bat of the two and I did not realize he was so new to catching, which changes my perspective a bit. At first glance I thought Swihart might be more of a Biggio type and move out from behind the plate. But now I'm not so sure. Looking forward to seeing them both in Spring Training; it's obviously a good problem for the Sox to have to solve.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

A great report on these two guys. Thanks. Vasquez first and then after Ross retires or goes as a FA back him up in 2015 with Swihart. 

[/QUOTE]

Red Sox Nation might have another Carlton Fisk here among the two catching prospects.  This is great news and thanks for the link to this great article..  What great draft choices that Theo made before he left.

[/QUOTE]aNOTHER cARLTON fISK   ????????   That would be Ryan Lavarnway !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Defense first when it comes to catchers, nice if he can also have some pop in his bat- helps. IMO Salty sealed his fate when he threw that ball into LF in WS and probably cost RS a game. If RS had not come back and won game 4 with a struggling Buch, very good chance that could have cost us big time and we would be talking about that play for a VERY long time! RS could have lived w/ Salty's offense, just don't think RS FO was ever to impressed w/ his D.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

A great report on these two guys. Thanks. Vasquez first and then after Ross retires or goes as a FA back him up in 2015 with Swihart. 

[/QUOTE]

Red Sox Nation might have another Carlton Fisk here among the two catching prospects.  This is great news and thanks for the link to this great article..  What great draft choices that Theo made before he left.

[/QUOTE]aNOTHER cARLTON fISK   ????????   That would be Ryan Lavarnway !!!

[/QUOTE]

Not even a chance, that ship has sailed.