Good News That Is Being Ignored

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Good News That Is Being Ignored

Too many posters like to focus on the negative and complain, so it seems one key thing, something more important than any of the other so-called issues, has been overlooked.

STARTING PITCHING

Here is the spring ERA of the Sox five projected starters so far:

Lester 14 IP, 1.29 ERA
    Buchholz 8.1 IP, 0.00 ERA
    Dempster 8.2 IP, 2.08 ERA
    Doubront 4.2 IP, 3.86 ERA
    Lackey 6.2 IP, 8.10 ERA

I'm the last one to make too much of small samples and especially spring stats. But considering the issues of starting pitching the Sox had last year, you've got to be encouraged by what we've seen from the starters so far.

Lackey's ERA is high -- again small sample -- but even he has shown a lot of good things. We'll see how things work out going forward this spring and once the season starts, but so far, I'm loving what the starters have been doing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Good News That Is Being Ignored

Also, Lackey's good outing vs the Puerto Rico team isn't reflected in his numbers.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Also, Lackey's good outing vs the Puerto Rico team isn't reflected in his numbers.

Good point.

Again, it's spring for all. Pitchers often work on specific things each outing -- all fastballs, for examples -- or focus on mechanics and location, rather results so even if the numbers were high, I wouldn't put too much stock in them. So I don't want to overstate how effective they've been. 

But like I posted, anytime a Sox starter goes out and pitches well, it's good to see.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

also, although not a starter this season in Boston, Allen Webster 11 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 14 K

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

When Red Sox pitching hold other teams to 4ER or fewer, it's only good when they score more runs. It's all about game to game, not aggregate during the season splits.

lets not start this debate again this year.... its all about the pitching stiffy. as shown by last season. the pitching was horrible and we had a horrible season..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'm with you, Roy. If they can stay healthy,  and that's a big if, it could be a solid rotation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Lackey looks solid, but it's a small sample. I'm expected big things from Lackey and Dumpster.

Softdu*p --the name is Dempster--perhaps you will come around. I consider this post close but not quite considerate enough when referring to one of our local guys. What motivates you to be crude and judgemental almost all the time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

I'm with you, Roy. If they can stay healthy,  and that's a big if, it could be a solid rotation.

I'll take you one further though Lloyd.  Even if they can't stay healthy they will be solid.  I have no problem subbing in anyone after Lester and Buccholz (I do think they need to stay healthy for success) with Webster, de La Rosa, Morales.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Too many posters like to focus on the negative and complain, so it seems one key thing, something more important than any of the other so-called issues, has been overlooked.

STARTING PITCHING

Lester 14 IP, 1.29 ERA
    Lackey 6.2 IP, 8.10 ERA

I'm the last one to make too much of small samples and especially spring stats. But considering the issues of starting pitching the Sox had last year, you've got to be encouraged by what we've seen from the starters so far.

Lackey's ERA is high -- again small sample -- but even he has shown a lot of good things. We'll see how things work out going forward this spring and once the season starts, but so far, I'm loving what the starters have been doing.

Lets just hope we're saying the same thing once the season begins. RS will go as far as their rotation takes them. But so far so good this spring, maybe the RS can surprise the so called experts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

STARTING PITCHING

Lester 14 IP, 1.29 ERA
    Lackey 6.2 IP, 8.10 ERA

Just think if the starters could have that ERA aginst major league batters? It's a small sample of wishful thinking.....So far i'm only watching and not worrying.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Nice thread Roy.  I'm encouraged by what I've seen so far in ST.

Then again, I was pretty optimistic before ST started. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

You beat me to the punch roy. I was just going to start a thread about Buchholz and his non existent ERA. I'm hoping Buch is finally turning into the pitcher he was projected to be.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Great thread...! Thanks for the positve reminder. I like the looks of things with the pitching. It's good to see Lester doing well...but like others have stated I am waiting until we are in to the season.

I am still skeptical about Lackey and am keeping my expectations of him very low until he proves me wrong. Then again..don't go by me. I..like many NE sports fans.. am damaged to the point where the pessimism is always my first instinct :-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

and Jerry and Don are in good shape laugh wise during blow outs

Has J-Bay noted that you are a newbie and shouted out that you are Triumph who was banned and is returning once again with another Yazzer alias? Shame on you and shame on J-Bay for being inconsistent and selective.

TO ALL CONCERNED. CONANOBRIEN is the old TRIUMPH, YAZZER, DEERHUNTER. I imagine that his next moniker will be BillMaher.

oh phew.  thanks for bringing that to light Pike.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

and Jerry and Don are in good shape laugh wise during blow outs

Has J-Bay noted that you are a newbie and shouted out that you are Triumph who was banned and is returning once again with another Yazzer alias? Shame on you and shame on J-Bay for being inconsistent and selective.

TO ALL CONCERNED. CONANOBRIEN is the old TRIUMPH, YAZZER, DEERHUNTER. I imagine that his next moniker will be BillMaher.

Thank you for that informative and extremely relevant post pike.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Our starters will finish in the bottom half of the AL in ERA. Just a wild hunch.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

You beat me to the punch roy. I was just going to start a thread about Buchholz and his non existent ERA. I'm hoping Buch is finally turning into the pitcher he was projected to be.

I think he's been that pitcher for awhile. He had that great 2010 season and was pitching well (3.48  ERA) in 2011 when he hurt is back. He basically finished rehabbing his back in the first six starts of 2012 when his ERA was 9.09. But from then on (23 starts) he was pretty good with a 3.62 ERA. And until he faded in his last two starts, his ERA was 3.08 for 21 consecutive starts, and that includes a 5.1 IP, 7 ER game and a 6 IP, 5 ER game.

So I'm not to concerned about Buchholz's ability to pitch well if he stays healthy like he did in 2010.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think he's been that pitcher for awhile. He had that great 2010 season and was pitching well (3.48  ERA) in 2011 when he hurt is back. He basically finished rehabbing his back in the first six starts of 2012 when his ERA was 9.09. But from then on (23 starts) he was pretty good with a 3.62 ERA. And until he faded in his last two starts, his ERA was 3.08 for 21 consecutive starts, and that includes a 5.1 IP, 7 ER game and a 6 IP, 5 ER game.

So I'm not to concerned about Buchholz's ability to pitch well if he stays healthy like he did in 2010.

I agree. Buch is deadly when healthy. 

Back injuries are tough to predict or totally cure. I'm hoping for the best.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Our starters will finish in the bottom half of the AL in ERA. Just a wild hunch.

I disagree. I'm not saying they're going to be in the top two or three, but I could see them being in the 5 to 8 range in the A.L.

I really expect Buchholz and Lester to be among the leaders in ERA, and that alone will help. I'm most concerned about Doubront. Dempster to me is a wildcard but I could see him being anywhere from 3.70 to 4.40. As for Lackey, we'll see. I think he'll have a good year but with guys coming back from Tommy John, they often struggle with their command early so it will be interesting to see how quickly it comes back when the games count.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I agree. Buch is deadly when healthy. 

Back injuries are tough to predict or totally cure. I'm hoping for the best.

Yeah, but the good thing is once he got going last year, you never heard anything about any back issues since then -- at least as I recall. Plus, he did pitch a career high of 189 innings last year.