Good riddance Rays.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Good riddance Rays.

They obviously didn't belong in the postseason.

They didn't have the horses to compete.

We gave them a glimmer of hope by playing awful.

Maddon is no genius.

I guess it's better to be lucky than good.

Former Sox player Adrian Beltre knocks them out, thanks Adrian.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Good riddance Rays.

Yeah, baby!

That old meanie in me agrees 100%.

Even if they did deserve to be in ... Tampa Bay area doesn't deserve to have the opportunty.  I love the Tampa area (or more correctly, the Tampa area of the '70s and '80s) but they have so little desire to become a singlular sports centered community.  Too many flocking from too many other places with loyalties already given elsewhere.

I would almost bet there are more Brewer fans in the Tampa area than Rays fans.  I am sure there are more Buckeye fans, Wolverine, Badger, Nittany Lion, Orange, Vols and Bama, Gator, 'Noles, Steeler, even White Sox and de Bears fans in Tampa Bay than Rays fans.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

Rays should go hard after Prince Fielder.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In Response to Re: Good riddance Rays.:
    [QUOTE]Rays should go hard after Prince Fielder.
    Posted by majormathew[/QUOTE]
    The Rays will not under any circumstances go hard after any expensive free agent. Their FO Model and Budget preclude ever doing that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good riddance Rays. : The Rays will not under any circumstances go hard after any expensive free agent. Their FO Model and Budget preclude ever doing that.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Plus their poor fan turn out. I think Fielder will end up with the Angels.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

Did I expect the Rays to go far in the post-season?  No, they just didn't have the horses, and it wasn't as if they came on with an amazing September.

That said they belonged there.  The Rays were in the collective head of the Sox all month and whittled down what should have been an insurmountable lead.  They beat the Sox mentally and physically in their September match ups and had the record necessary for the dance.  On the last game of the year they overcame a large Yankee lead because they believed they could make it, and they did.  Meanwhile in Baltimore - well you know that story.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maddog2020. Show maddog2020's posts

They did not deserve to be there - if the Yanks had not tanked the last 3 games of the season or if the sox played any better than single A team down the stretch they would not have made the post season

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

And the real sad part is that MLB wants to water down the postseason further by adding more Wildcard Team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]They did not deserve to be there - if the Yanks had not tanked the last 3 games of the season or if the sox played any better than single A team down the stretch they would not have made the post season
    Posted by maddog2020[/QUOTE]

Can't blame the Yankees. The truth is we couldn't even beat Baltimore.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Good riddance Rays.:
    [QUOTE]They obviously didn't belong in the postseason. They didn't have the horses to compete. We gave them a glimmer of hope by playing awful. Maddon is no genius. I guess it's better to be lucky than good. Former Sox player Adrian Beltre knocks them out, thanks Adrian.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]  THAT COULD/SHOULD/WOULD HAVE BEEN OUR BOSTON RED SOX, MOST LIKELY IN 3 STRAIGHT !!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Good riddance Rays.:
    [QUOTE]They obviously didn't belong in the postseason. They didn't have the horses to compete. We gave them a glimmer of hope by playing awful. Maddon is no genius. I guess it's better to be lucky than good. Former Sox player Adrian Beltre knocks them out, thanks Adrian.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Nice comment on former Red Sox player Adrian Beltre. How would he look in a Red Sox uniform now. Oops.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]They did not deserve to be there - if the Yanks had not tanked the last 3 games of the season or if the sox played any better than single A team down the stretch they would not have made the post season
    Posted by maddog2020[/QUOTE]

Agree with you that the Red Sox couldn't even beat a little league team in September.  That is the only reason that the Rays were the wild card team instead of the Red Sox.  It was really annoying to hear some of the MLB analysts saying how great they were and what a wonderful comeback they had in the month of September. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Yeah, let's knock the Rays.
    They beat the Sox year in and year out, with a quarter of the Sox payroll.
    If you don't think Joe Maddon is one hell of a manager, then you don't know squat about baseball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Completely disagree with the OP.  I'm no Rays fan, but even though we finished only one game back, I thought they were far more deserving than the Sox--at least, right now.  When the Sox finished, they were nowhere near the team of May-August and absolutely did not deserve to continue.  Papelbon's final blown save was an act of euthanasia.  The Sox were by then "mostly dead," in the words of miracle max (Billy Crystal). 

That said, I thought it was pretty obvious Texas was the better team and would probably have taken the Sox in three straight--assuming, of course, the Sox had been able to take the one playoff-playoff game in Tampa, a long shot itself. 

The Rays did the Sox a favor by revealing just how bad the team had become.  Now management can make some fixes.  I'm a big Francona backer, but have no qualms about his departure.  He himself indicated it was time to go.  Now maybe some of the other members of the team, including Theo and FO, can straighten up and fly right. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I did not say "more deserving" or "less deserving", just that they are not playoff calibre.

They backed into a wildcard spot, just as we would have. And they played like a team that backed into a playoff spot.

The game is so watered down that they should go back to two divisions, eliminate the wildcard and have "quality" teams in postseason. There is damn little talent in this league for 30 teams, just like hockey, they need to stop expanding and allowing teams into playoffs that are a joke.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]I did not "more deserving" or "less deserving", just that they are not playoff calibre. They backed into a wildcard spot, just as we would have.Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. The Rays were not playoff caliber. The reality is that the Sox weren't either. If we couldn't beat Baltimore then we certainly would not have beaten Texas.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Rays backed in due to historic Red Sox collapse. Had the Yankees not gone AAA in most of final 3 games, Rays would have won 88 or 89 games and the Red Sox would have been a title contender.

Rays' owner is complaining about playoff attendance. Rays did not belong, were inferior to 2010 Rays (Rangers were better in 2010). Maddon is a good manager but he is no Earl Weaver.

If the Red Sox had a competent GM, the Rays would not have backed in the playoffs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Sour grapes.  They deserved it more than the Red Sox did.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They outscored the rangers 21-16. They lost 2 tough, hard-fought games by 1 run.

TB is not going away anytime soon. Get used to it.

They lost about 15 impact players last winter and only declined by 5 wins. This year, they lose only Damon, Peralta and Kotchman.

Their 8 starting pitchers are all locked up for 3+ years and all will be under 30 next year. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

What I am saying is not that the Rays "deserve" or "don't deserve" anything, just that MLB is selling us an inferior product when a team that has a mostly AAA looking lineup can be the 4th best team in the AL.

I yearn for the days when even the middle of the pack teams had lots of recognizable names and committed players. The league has been watered down by expansion, and the talent level is disgusting compared to salaries the players are making.

I am just saying that more is actually less. The "more" refers to amount of teams and amount of money, the "less" refers to excitement level or "bang for the buck." At the risk of sounding like an old fogey , which may or may not be true, the playoffs have lost their lustre in the modern day, they were more exciting in the 70's and 80's. I blame expansion fr my disenchantment with postseason, I used to anticipate great games, now it is just so sub-par and ordinary. Series like the Red Sox/Reds of 1975, Mets / Astros of 1986, Royals/ Cards of 1982, seem to be the exception not the norm, back then there were many great playoff series and matchups. Now we watch some of these series and I am saying , "who are these guys?"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

Here is copied and pasted about contract issues for the Rays team:

The Rays are next in our 2012 Contract Issues series.  Here's what the team faces after the 2011 season:

Eligible For Free Agency (4)

Contract Options (3)

• James Shields: $7MM club option with a $2MM buyout.  Otherwise arbitration eligible.  This seems like it will be an easy choice to exercise.  Shields is under control through 2014, and if he becomes available this summer or winter the Rays could get a nice bounty.  We're getting ahead of ourselves, though - the team is only three games back in the AL East.
    • Kelly Shoppach: $3.2MM club option with a $300K buyout.  Shoppach hasn't done much hitting in his Rays career, so this is a tough call.  One factor to consider is the progress of catching prospect Robinson Chirinos.
    • Kyle Farnsworth: $3.3MM club option with a $650K buyout.  He's gotten the job done so far, and this option will merit consideration.

Arbitration Eligible (7)

Price is primed for a record-setting salary for a first-time arbitration eligible starting pitcher, say around $5.5MM.  Niemann could get $3MM, though the Rays could trade him as early as this summer even if they are contending.  Upton's price will be held down by his unspectacular offense, but he could get $7MM or more and is also a trade candidate.  There is some uncertainty with the other pitchers but for the sake of argument if everyone besides Johnson is retained the total bill could be around $21MM.

2012 Payroll Obligation

The Rays' 2012 payroll obligation, according to Cot's, is $13MM excluding buyouts.  However we could tack on as much as $35MM if the three options are exercised and the arbitration eligibles are retained.  That'd have the club $6MM over this year's payroll, which was reduced drastically from years prior.  There are many moving parts here, and given their current big league talent and highly-regarded farm system, the Rays should find a way to compete next year even if payroll stays under $50MM.  That is no small feat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

zillagod, I think your argument keeps getting weaker. 

MLB has fewer playoff teams than the other major sports.  Plus four teams per League makes for great postseason baseball.  For the Rays to be undeserving, they had to be swept, as the Sox were last time out.  Plus, of course, the Rays lost to the Rangers, who are a decent bet to get back to the WS this year.  The Yankees, despite their great record, have starting pitching issues and now need to win the 5th game just to get to the ALCS.  Heck, even the Phillies are working hard to beat the Cardinals.

In other words, all playoff teams have flaws.  The reason the Sox lost out is their flaws, which persisted throughout September, were humoungous.  The August Sox would have been pretty darn good, but not the September version. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

Since Tampa payroll started out around 40 millions dollars for the 2011 season not counting salaries for these call up minor leaguers.

Now they are probably going to start out around approximately 30 millions dollars during this off season after these free agents walk away such as Damon.  But biggest problem is picking up options among three players including Shield and the abritation cases for as many 7 players including Upton and two starting pitchers.  

It is more likely that they will end up paying over 50 millions dollars payroll if they want to keep all of them except few like Damon.  That is why I do not think they will be able to keep the core of five starting pitchers and maybe upton too.

I

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I for one am sorry to see the Rays go. Here are the reasons: first, they did us a huge favor by making sure we didn't get into the playoffs. Had we been playing in October, we would still be hobbled by our useless manager. Now he is out (and I wish him well) and our GM is, hopefully, on his way out too. Second, the Rays are a team with no real superstars. They are an unassuming confident underpaid bunch who played hard every night. None of the Country Club nonsense that pervaded the Red FLOPS clubhouse this year, just young hungry baseball players. Thats refreshing when compared to our own group of whiny overpaid stiffs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

no matter what you think of the ray's, they were in the playoffs and the RS were not, nuff said.