Gordon Edes takes Daisuke Matsuzaka to task for his disappointing tenure with the Red Sox. Do you agree?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stormcrow7878. Show stormcrow7878's posts

Re: Gordon Edes takes Daisuke Matsuzaka to task for his disappointing tenure with the Red Sox. Do you agree?

Lackey kept them in at least 22 of hiss 33 starts as he won 14 of them and got a no-decision in 11 more.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: Gordon Edes takes Daisuke Matsuzaka to task for his disappointing tenure with the Red Sox. Do you agree?

He can't accuse the Sox of trying to Americanize him because then we should accuse them of doing the same with every Latin kid who has ever come here to play ball, too. The difference in pitching in Japan, where you pitch once a week, and in the big leagues, where you take the mound once every five days, is like the difference between college ball and the big leagues.

That is all I have to read to form the opinion that Edes is stretching for reasons to diss on Matsuzaka; whether he is driven by racism, or influenced by the total value of the contract plus the posting fee, or he was duped just like most of us average fans but happens to have an opportunity to write his thoughts down and have them published for others to read, I do not know or care.  To suggest that there is a Latin way that is vastly different from the American way shows little knowledge of latin-American baseball, and/or geography. 

No way a Latin player has to adjust to the American system to the extent a Japanese player does, and to suggest that the two are comparable is ridiculous.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

P.S.  Glad to see Matsuzaka have 3 decent innings so far today.  If he pitches a quality start, will Edes print a retraction?  I hope Matsuzaka continues to find and locate his stuff and has a good year and proves all his detractors wrong.  Why?  Because that would be great for this team, and I am first and foremost a fan who wants my team to win!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

With Lackey I think going from a pitchers ball park to a hitters ball park has hurt him somewhat.  However he never was a truly outstanding pitcher for the Angels, even though many of his starts were against a weaker AL West.  The Sox got exactly what he was - a mediocre pitcher that will give you 12-15 wins a year and nothing more.  They just got a bit too trigger happy with the size of the contract they offered.

From 2005-2007, John Lackey was the third most valuable pitcher (per fWAR) with 17.5 WAR behind only Johan Santana and Brandon Webb.  I'd say that's pretty good.

The problem with Lackey now is that he's had two arm injuries that have robbed him of an incredibly effective fastball and curve, and he's in his early 30s.  He won't be the pitcher we saw from 2005-2007, but his 2008-2010 wasn't that terrible.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from midnight. Show midnight's posts

While Daisuke may not be what was advertised, when he hasn't been fighting injuries he has been fairly effective.  I would say he is a #4 pitcher making maybe #3 pitcher salary.  When he is effective he is very effective.  The problem is that something in his routine isn't consistent so he isn't consistent.  And that goes to the team and to him.  The team needs to own his routine until he is consistently effective, and they keep letting him do his thing and it ends up hurting the team.

As to his language choice, no one here knows how much or little he speaks to teammates in English.  There is an assumption that he doesn't.  He can speak English, he just isn't comfortable in front of the media doing so.  You try to learn another language in your 20s while also being in a very high pressure situation and I would guess you likely won't be comfortable either.  Not everyone has a knack for learning new languages. 

I still believe that Daisuke was a fair investment.  At $9M per, if you wipe out his injury filled season completely, he has been fair.  And using 3 starts this year to mean anything is silly since the entire pitching staff has been in the ERA basement this season so far.  Lets see where we are in June to get an idea how people are doing.  For this many pitchers to pitch this poorly at the start of the season, we may want to look at the coaching as a source of some of the problems.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Lackey didn't keep his team in the game in half his appearances. In 2010, he made over 20 million.

Nice to see DiceK bounce back and pitch well. He shook off Varitek quite frequently. Varitek can't hit MLB pitching beyond a single A level. Pretty sad. Can't throw runners out and can't block most beach balls.

Edes hatest Asians, like most Red Sox fans. They love players like Pedroia, Ellsbury, Lowrie, Wakefield. Wakefield has no business on the active roster.

I'd like to see Edes take Wakefield to task.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Gordon Edes takes Daisuke Matsuzaka to task for his disappointing tenure with the Red Sox. Do you agree?:
    [QUOTE]Lackey didn't keep his team in the game in half his appearances. In 2010, he made over 20 million. Nice to see DiceK bounce back and pitch well. He shook off Varitek quite frequently. Varitek can't hit MLB pitching beyond a single A level. Pretty sad. Can't throw runners out and can't block most beach balls. Edes hatest Asians, like most Red Sox fans. They love players like Pedroia, Ellsbury, Lowrie, Wakefield. Wakefield has no business on the active roster. I'd like to see Edes take Wakefield to task.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]I am not so sure that it is fair to say most RS fans hate Asians. There was a rather extended love affair with Okajima that did not diminish quite as quickly as his performance did. Oki pretty much was a LOOGY by 2009 and had a really bad 2010 campaign.

Dice K's reputation coming from Japan and the expectations that came with that, the posting fee plus contract have been part of the fuel for the disappointment in Dice K. First it was how ugly his games were when he was effective (07-08) and the angst only compounded in the injury marred years of 09 and 10. The local media has leveraged some of that with their personal resentment of their limited access due to language barriers IMO.

But to declare the town racist is IMO a reach. Lot's of people jumped all over Ellsbury last year by example. But a good example of expectations not being met and drawing RS fan angst is the very Christian and lilly white JD Drew. Now the media tends to have his back but that IMO has more to do with access than racial profile.

Just the same some of the things said about Dice K do tend reflect a rather ignorant "world view" be it what Edes wrote or the typical suggestion that he'd do better in a US city closer to Japan. But there is a difference between ignorance and deep rooted prejudice no matter how much they may look to be same on the surface IMO.

Just my take and it was great to see Dice K shut up his detractors for a day.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

I disagree, but a reasonable take. The hatred is more bigotry, as I never said "racist". You note a bigoted part of Edes "to task" article.

I'm sure you didn't intend it that way, but "lilly white" is a racist slur.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Baba-Yaga. Show Baba-Yaga's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Read BaseballGM, not Gordon Edes.