Got to hand it to Drew, hats off to Lackey.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Got to hand it to Drew, hats off to Lackey.

I have been tough on Stephen Drew (yes, I still think he's way overpaid, but they all are).

I have to give him his due. He played a super game on Saturday, big hit, great work turning 2 key DPs.

But also , I would like to give credit to Lackey. This guy took alot of abuse from fans and media and came back with a vengenence , in true bulldog fashion.

Also, a real unsung hero, Craig Breslow ...real clutch relief work. Great bridge work getting the game from Lackey to the backend guys. His work should not go unnoticed amid the 2 dingers by Papi, and the other offensive heroics.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Got to hand it to Drew, hats off to Lackey.

I have always said I think Drew's glove is great and very under-rated.

Having said that, I thought Drew should sit against Price.  They could had always brought Drew in for later innings.  In which case, Drew would had been out there for those 2 DP's anyways......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:

I agree and that is why JF has him in there.  I hope the people who wanted Boggie to start read your thread.

I thought Bogaerts would go against at least one of the lefties. But I guess Farrell wisely went with the experienced guy.

Just like Lugo in 2007, Drew is no All Star , more of a band aid until the younger guy can take over, but I have to give him credit, because I have been critical ( not brutal, I don't think) of his play for most of the year.

Also have to say, that although I joking refer to Cherrington as "Cherrybomb", it's all in fun and I actually think the guy has done a terrific job at identifying players who are "under the radar" in terms of not overly talented, but great attitudes and clutch play.

I felt this team was heading the wrong way , getting caught up in an arms race ( so to speak) with the Yankees for a few years. They have scaled back on signing big names and gone with the "character" guys.

Win or lose, this year should be a blueprint of how to put together a success story.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think I have already apologized to drew but I will again.... he is a much better player than I gave him credit for

And he showed more emotion these last 2 games than I ever saw from his brother. Glad he is on this team

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Sometimes great stats don't tell the story; with Drew and Gomes, maybe their numbers don't look so hot (Drew started the season minus spring training), but when they get their hits speaks volumes, and both guys have been getting hits exactly when hits are sorely needed all season long.  And how about Drew beating out that infield hit in game 1, huge play.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If the Sox only try to bring back one of Drew or  Napoli, I like Drew as the better player.  But Napoli has the advantage of no heir at his position. ..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Great post Zillagod!

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

I think I have already apologized to drew but I will again.... he is a much better player than I gave him credit for

And he showed more emotion these last 2 games than I ever saw from his brother. Glad he is on this team

I liked both the Vic and Drew signings, and FWIW, both are a lot better than I thought they were too.  I assumed Drew would be one and done, and I would close my eyes and give him the QO, and watch him leave.  And I'm okay with that.

But I am going to miss him.  This is the guy that Renteria, Lugo, and Scutaro were supposed to be-guys that could play both ways.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Drew has had a very up and down career.  Look at his wRC+:

114  70  109   87   113   92   80   109

I was glad the Sox signed him, I hoped out loud he would do what he did in 2010 4.7 WAR and get a QO. (The attention seeking poster called that a pipe dream.)  With his up and down career, will he turn down the $14m and walk with the pick weight around his neck?  I think it could go either way.  Anyway he has been great, yes great when you factor in the beaning, no ST, and the pressure to play in Boston, and being the unloved JD's bro.

2013  men on 2 outs  105 ABs: 36 hits  9 dbl  4  trp  6 HR  44 RBI   9 BB

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I dunno, when it was 6-4 I was thinking the Sox might have blown a prime chance to beat Price because JF just had to start Lackey instead of Buccholz.

He came up with some key pitches and he's been good this year, but he was struggling to find the zone all day and there was no question he would eventually give up 4 and be gone by the 6th.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Having said that, I thought Drew should sit against Price.  They could had always brought Drew in for later innings.  In which case, Drew would had been out there for those 2 DP's anyways......

You're joking, right?  Farrell just looks in his crystal ball, which tells him when a double play ball is likely, and sends in Drew.  The facts are that Drew is the better defensive SS all day long, and in the last two months, September and August, his OPS was over .850.  Starting Drew was an absolutely no brainer.  Bogaerts is what, 21 years old with under 50 games of MLB experience? 

I knew little about Drew before this season, but believe he has proven himself many times over.   His WAR for the season is 5th best among AL SS's. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Farrell kept Drew in for the defense, and it worked out.   This wasn't a case like Ross, who is a defensive upgrade but also had really good numbers against Price (in limited action)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

If it isn't broken don't fix it.  It all worked out and you still wanted the rookie to start.

[/QUOTE]

20/20 is pretty good eh?

1)  Drew was 0 for 10 w/ 5 K's and looked hapless vs Price

2)  Drew's hit would had been an out in any other park

3) Drew would have been in the game in late innings for defensive purposes anyways

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:

[QUOTE]

Drew has had a very up and down career.  Look at his wRC+:

114  70  109   87   113   92   80   109

I was glad the Sox signed him, I hoped out loud he would do what he did in 2010 4.7 WAR and get a QO. (The attention seeking poster called that a pipe dream.)  With his up and down career, will he turn down the $14m and walk with the pick weight around his neck?  I think it could go either way.  Anyway he has been great, yes great when you factor in the beaning, no ST, and the pressure to play in Boston, and being the unloved JD's bro.

2013  men on 2 outs  105 ABs: 36 hits  9 dbl  4  trp  6 HR  44 RBI   9 BB

seriously, can the board relax on the stats and realize anything can happen in the post season.  Ortiz burned up the stats yesterday and hit two homers off a guy who had his number all year.  Any good coach will go with the veteran over the rookie.  Tito loved his veterans and probably would be starting Drew as well.  Possible Bobby Valentine would have started boggie, so petition to get him back.

[/QUOTE]

These stats show how Good Drew is in the "clutch". Baseball is all about stats. These are the most basic of them. This shows that Drew is one of the guys you want up in the biggest situation. Nothing wrong with posting that is there?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Something I always liked about Francona was his loyalty to his players.  Farrell is the same way.  Drew is not a superstar nor a flashy player, but he has been solid most of the year, he plays hard, and he gets the job done.   He deserves to be playing in these big games, and Farrell's faith in him has been rewarded.

I always thought Lackey got a bum rap about his attitude and character in past years.  No matter how poorly he was pitching, his teammates always defended him as a great teammate and a great clubhouse presence.  I'm so glad that he was able to put things together this year.  He looks like he may be running out of steam a little bit, but he stepped up in a big way when Clay was injured.

I know we can't keep everyone, but it will be difficult for me to see any of these guys go.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

His teammates sticking up for him was one factor that made me not want to dump him

The other was the Theo Shoulder/Min wage clause

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Lackey i a bulldog, with or without CHICKEN & BEER !!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

If it isn't broken don't fix it.  It all worked out and you still wanted the rookie to start.

20/20 is pretty good eh?

1)  Drew was 0 for 10 w/ 5 K's and looked hapless vs Price

2)  Drew's hit would had been an out in any other park

3) Drew would have been in the game in late innings for defensive purposes anyways

The sox won with Drew in the game.  John Farrell has already proven he is worth his weight in gold as a head coach.  I am not about question JF.  But please keep hammering home that Boggie should have started, possibly you'll take off some of the pressure on Bill as the board's whipping boy.

Head Coach?  Really? Alrighty then.  Thanks - now I know all I need to know about you........