Granderson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Granderson

Granderson or Choo?  And or Stanton

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Granderson

I do doubt the Sox go after any free agent who costs them a pick.  They wouldn't give up a second rounder last year.  Why would they be so eager to give up a first rounder this year?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Red Sox Notes: Granderson, Ellsbury, Salty, Lavarnway By  Steve Adams [December 4 at 12:54pm CST]

The Red Sox "haven't ruled out" a pursuit of Curtis Granderson, according to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com (Twitter link). In light of last night's sudden and surprising agreement between Jacoby Ellsbury and the Yankees, the Red Sox have a need in the outfield, though that could simply be handled by Jackie Bradley Jr. The Sox could use Grandy in either right field or center field, with Shane Victorino occupying the other slot. Here are some more Boston-related news items...

• Ken Davidoff of the New York Post tweets that Boston's talks with Ellsbury didn't go too far beyond the five-year, $80MM range. That jives with previous reports that the Red Sox didn't want to give Ellsbury $100MM or more and last night's report that their offerwas "a ways off" from that of the Yankees.
    • WEEI.com's Alex Speier reports that the Red Sox have been limiting their offers to free agent catchers to two years so as not to block the paths of top prospects Christian Vazquez and Blake Swihart. As such, their best offer to Jarrod Saltalamacchia was a two-year deal that could top out at $18MM after incentives. Saltalamacchia instead agreed to a three-year deal with the Marlins yesterday.
    • The signing of A.J. Pierzynski could spell the end of Ryan Lavarnway's time with the Red Sox, Speier writes in a separate piece. Lavarnway has made a lot of strides defensively over the past few years but still isn't a defensive asset, and his offense has seen a precipitous drop since a 32-homer minor league season in 2011. Since that time, he's hit just 14 homers in 829 plate appearances. The presence of Swihart, Vazquez and Dan Butler creates a logjam that could leave Lavarnway on the outside looking in

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to billge's comment:

Choo or Kemp in my opinion but my guess is Ethier for some strange reason.  I think Stanton would cost us more than Kemp in prospects.  I see Kemp costing us JBJ and/or Middy in a package at the very least with the remaining being settled by the Dodgers eating some salary.  I think Stanton would cost us most of our best prospects.  Granderson I have some interest in at the right price, he plays solid D, can run like Ells and has power but is usually another low OB guy.

Choo I would take in a heartbeat, he's Mr. Consistent at the plate with similar splits to Ethier but higher OBP and plays decent defense.  Also a much cheaper option than Ethier, Kemp, Granderson or Stanton. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

what's ellis burks up to these days?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to billge's comment:

Choo or Kemp in my opinion but my guess is Ethier for some strange reason.  I think Stanton would cost us more than Kemp in prospects.  I see Kemp costing us JBJ and/or Middy in a package at the very least with the remaining being settled by the Dodgers eating some salary.  I think Stanton would cost us most of our best prospects.  Granderson I have some interest in at the right price, he plays solid D, can run like Ells and has power but is usually another low OB guy.

Choo I would take in a heartbeat, he's Mr. Consistent at the plate with similar splits to Ethier but higher OBP and plays decent defense.  Also a much cheaper option than Ethier, Kemp, Granderson or Stanton. 

[/QUOTE]

"Much cheaper than Granderson, Either, Stanton & Kemp?!" Are you being serious? Ellsbury just got 153 million.  How much do you think Choo is going to get?  I'm not sure either, but my guess is that you need to start at 100 million to even be taken seriously.  He'll get twice as much as Granderson will get in this market.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I do doubt the Sox go after any free agent who costs them a pick.  They wouldn't give up a second rounder last year.  Why would they be so eager to give up a first rounder this year?

[/QUOTE]

+1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

Only option there is Stanton, too bad there is no chance in hell of that happening.  Dont want Choo, cant hit lefties and Granderson sucks

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I've been saying all along the guy who replaces Ellsbury will be Davis, he's equal to Ellsbury in three important areas CF defense, Power hitting and stealing bases and I'm pretty sure his OBP is comparable and here's the kicker he isn't going to cost a draft choice or 153 million dollars!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to poprox13's comment:

Only option there is Stanton, too bad there is no chance in hell of that happening.  Dont want Choo, cant hit lefties and Granderson sucks

This is why Stats should be researched before posting.  Choo for his career hits LH starters at a .746 OPS rate and all LH's at .680 but walks a ton and still maintains a higher career (OBP .389) than Ells, Grandy, Stanton or Ethier.  SURPRISED? 

Stanton would cost us a fortune in talent and his defense is weak.  Age and potential ceiling is incredible but may not be worth the gamble unless we could keep enough good young talent. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

This is why Stats should be researched before posting.  Choo for his career hits LH starters at a .746 OPS rate and all LH's at .680 but walks a ton and still maintains a higher career (OBP .389) than Ells, Grandy, Stanton or Ethier.  SURPRISED? 

Stanton would cost us a fortune in talent and his defense is weak.  Age and potential ceiling is incredible but may not be worth the gamble unless we could keep enough good young talent. 

[/QUOTE]

Do you seriously think the Sox are going to give Choo 100+ million and give up a pick, when they wouldn't go there for Ellsbury?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do you seriously think the Sox are going to give Choo 100+ million and give up a pick, when they wouldn't go there for Ellsbury?

[/QUOTE]

Probably not I'm just saying he would be great to replace Ells.  At some point the Sox should realize some deals could be worth giving up a pick for.  I see Choo getting somewhere in the area of 5 or 6 years around 15.5/16mil per nothing more but I could be wrong.  Ells gets the hype but Choo is a better player who gets less respect.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Probably not I'm just saying he would be great to replace Ells.  At some point the Sox should realize some deals could be worth giving up a pick for.  I see Choo getting somewhere in the area of 5 or 6 years around 15.5/16mil per nothing more but I could be wrong.  Ells gets the hype but Choo is a better player who gets less respect.

[/QUOTE]

There are 30 MLB Front Offices who know every subtle difference between Ellsbury & Choo.  Hype doesn't play here.  My guess is that Choo gets at LEAST 120 million, as there are plenty of suitors.  The Sox just received an absolute gift from the Dodgers to get rid of the Crawford deal.  There is no way they are going to offer a similar deal to a similar player.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've been saying all along the guy who replaces Ellsbury will be Davis, he's equal to Ellsbury in three important areas CF defense, Power hitting and stealing bases and I'm pretty sure his OBP is comparable and here's the kicker he isn't going to cost a draft choice or 153 million dollars!

[/QUOTE]

1. Davis' career UZR/150 in CF is 0.0.  Ellsbry's is 8.0

2. Ellsbury's career ISO is .141.  Davis' is .109

3.  Ellsbury's career OBP is .350.  Davis' is .316.

So no on defense, power and OBP.  Ellsbury is better than Davis on those 3.  But Davis is a good base stealer.  The problem with him is that one base he cannot steal...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to redsoxwinter's comment:

In reality, Davis playing full time isn't much different than Ellsbury 

2012 Davis 142 GP  43 RBI's 8 HR 3 Triples 24 Doubles 46 Steals

213 Ellsbury 132 GP 53 RBI's 9 HR 8 Triples 31 Doubles 52 Steals

The only significant difference is Ellsbury has a .297 career BA and Davis is .268, but Davis has hit as high as .304 and .284 playing fulltime for the A's.

Folks, the reality is that there isn't much difference between these two players. Davis is about 3 years older but at 33 years old it's almost laughable to think that Davis can be signed for as little as one or two years and cost as little as 5 to 8M a year while Ellsbury has bamboozled the Yankees for more than 20 million a year right into his wheelchair years. 

The bigger point is that Davis is a perfect compliment and bridge with and to Bradley. Davis is better than Ellsbury vs. LP and Bradley will likely, worst case, be almost as good as Ellsbury v. RP.

Signing Davis allows the Red Sox to bring Bradley up to full speed more slowly. In 2008, Crisp was Ellsbury's training wheels with Crisp getting most of the starts in CF and Ellsbury moving around LF and RF. 

The difference is that Davis is a perfect compliment to Bradley.

The Red Sox should look at 2008 and see how well that worked.

Davis should get almost every CF start v. LP starters in CF with Bradley getting almost all the other starts in CF. (Ellsbury started 63 games in CF in 2008)

Davis should take all of Victorino's missed starts in RF, which is almost sure to amount to about 30 to 40 starts. (Ellsbury started 30 games in RF in 2008. When possible, Victorino's missed games should be away for obvious reasons)

Davis will end up with about 100 starts, more or less, depending upon how Bradley does in the spring and early summer. 

Nava gets the starts in LF v. RP, with Gomes getting most of the starts v. LP.

Davis would be the defensive substitute for Gomes, when Bradley is starting in CF and Victorino in RF.

Frankly, this has the potential to be a more productive OF than 2013, but it certainly won't be much worse and won't require carrying a 20 million plus dollars a year 30 year old OF to his wheelchair. 

The Red Sox should let Napoli go beyond a one year deal, take the draft pick, and sign Hart to a one year make prove health and make good Beltre contract and have Hart take the starting 1st base position. Nava should be the backup 1st baseman. 

Softy!  You're back, for a couple of hours!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

In response to redsoxwinter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In reality, Davis playing full time isn't much different than Ellsbury 

2012 Davis 142 GP  43 RBI's 8 HR 3 Triples 24 Doubles 46 Steals

213 Ellsbury 132 GP 53 RBI's 9 HR 8 Triples 31 Doubles 52 Steals

The only significant difference is Ellsbury has a .297 career BA and Davis is .268, but Davis has hit as high as .304 and .284 playing fulltime for the A's.

Folks, the reality is that there isn't much difference between these two players. Davis is about 3 years older but at 33 years old it's almost laughable to think that Davis can be signed for as little as one or two years and cost as little as 5 to 8M a year while Ellsbury has bamboozled the Yankees for more than 20 million a year right into his wheelchair years. 

The bigger point is that Davis is a perfect compliment and bridge with and to Bradley. Davis is better than Ellsbury vs. LP and Bradley will likely, worst case, be almost as good as Ellsbury v. RP.

Signing Davis allows the Red Sox to bring Bradley up to full speed more slowly. In 2008, Crisp was Ellsbury's training wheels with Crisp getting most of the starts in CF and Ellsbury moving around LF and RF. 

The difference is that Davis is a perfect compliment to Bradley.

The Red Sox should look at 2008 and see how well that worked.

Davis should get almost every CF start v. LP starters in CF with Bradley getting almost all the other starts in CF. (Ellsbury started 63 games in CF in 2008)

Davis should take all of Victorino's missed starts in RF, which is almost sure to amount to about 30 to 40 starts. (Ellsbury started 30 games in RF in 2008. When possible, Victorino's missed games should be away for obvious reasons)

Davis will end up with about 100 starts, more or less, depending upon how Bradley does in the spring and early summer. 

Nava gets the starts in LF v. RP, with Gomes getting most of the starts v. LP.

Davis would be the defensive substitute for Gomes, when Bradley is starting in CF and Victorino in RF.

Frankly, this has the potential to be a more productive OF than 2013, but it certainly won't be much worse and won't require carrying a 20 million plus dollars a year 30 year old OF to his wheelchair. 

The Red Sox should let Napoli go beyond a one year deal, take the draft pick, and sign Hart to a one year make prove health and make good Beltre contract and have Hart take the starting 1st base position. Nava should be the backup 1st baseman. 

[/QUOTE]

I have been a big Rajai Davis fan. He is more freightening on the bases to me because you know he's going to go anytime and I think he has the drive to not want to stop until he scores.

Ells knows when he gets to 2nd he's really home on anything in the outfield. 

Davis wants to be sure to score so he will try for 3rd even though it's unnecessary.

JF, Butter and Lovullo know the guy well----if they want him I'm sure BenC is a go. They may have a deal in place or he and his agent are looking for a place for 3 years and playing time figuring when Choo, Ells, Hart, Grande and others have signed things might look a lttle better for him. OR maybe Davis doesn't like the Sox coaching staff???

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Problem is that Ben C. can not have too many lefties in the line up.  If Ellsbury is gone, and Granderson replace him, that is fine.  But Ben C. still need a couple right handed power hitter in the line up such as to bat behind Papi.  

I strongly think that once Ben C. want to try to get the deal done with Drew and Napoli asap so he can address with the CF and the future leadoff guy.