Great Job John Farrell, but....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Great Job John Farrell, but....

1. If a lefty (Breslow) gets a guy out and pitches 1/3 of an inning, bring him out for more. Bringing out another lefty (Miller) the next inning was a waste of pitcher and now you are in a bind tonight.

2. Don't play Will Middlebrooks tonight. He hasn't deserved anything.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Great Job John Farrell, but....

the team "bailed" him out yesterday - some very shaky pitching moves imo

As always - 100% correct!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

1. If a lefty (Breslow) gets a guy out and pitches 1/3 of an inning, bring him out for more. Bringing out another lefty (Miller) the next inning was a waste of pitcher and now you are in a bind tonight.

2. Don't play Will Middlebrooks tonight. He hasn't deserved anything.

If Salty can turn the corner offensively I'm sure Middy still has a shot with the right mentoring.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Hs middy even had a full 162 game season yet? 

This is what happens with young players.

Remember Clay Buccholz?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I'm sure bringing in Miller was a matchup thing. Middlebrooks is a solid young player and your going to have ups and downs w/ him, he'll be fine. Lets judge him at the end of the season not 65 gms in. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Excellent win.  I gave up after the 12th(sleep/work) and thought "no way" do they pull this one out when all they had left in the bullpen was Franklin Morales.  Kudos to Morales for the 2 good innings you gave us.  Deflating loss for the Rays who now are 1 - 6 against the Sox...  keping them 5 games back.  Could'nt believe they won this one...  everytime the Sox grabbed a lead last nite,  the Rays would just take it back.  Figured it was gonna be one of them "walkoff" nights with shaving cream pies in the face for the Devil Rays.  Denied!! Wink

P.S.    Pedey is a beast!!!  Great catch on that pop-up at the pitcher's mound.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

I see this guy is still at it, second guessing managerial decisions using the benefit of 20/20 hindsight!

I think we all could be 100% correct using this. Good job georom!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

How did they bail him out? His closer gave up two runs and loaded the bases before getting the first out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

But Breslow is available tonight.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

This is absurd.  Yes, the bullpen is a little taxed after last night.  But nitpciking matchup moves after the fact is spurilous at best.  You don't manage a game thinking "this is going to go 14, I better preserve the pen", you manage thinking "what is the best thing I can do to win this thing in 9".  I don't even see what the nitpick is.  Farrell liked Miller better in that situation.  So what?  Breslow can't go tonight after going a third of an inning last night?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NLU75. Show NLU75's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is absurd.  Yes, the bullpen is a little taxed after last night.  But nitpciking matchup moves after the fact is spurilous at best.  You don't manage a game thinking "this is going to go 14, I better

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

I'm sure bringing in Miller was a matchup thing. Middlebrooks is a solid young player and your going to have ups and downs w/ him, he'll be fine. Lets judge him at the end of the season not 65 gms in. 

Matchup thing? There was a lefty batter and Breslow is a lefty and more effective than Miller.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Remember Clay Buccholz?

or Dustin Pedroia.  How many wanted him benched or sent down, the first few months of his rookie season?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I'm not usually one to trash the manager, and especially after a win, but....

I'm glad the Sox won that game last night because they may pay for it for a couple of games - or more - now.  In his zeal to win he managed to completely decimate the BP and leave the FO scrambling for arms for today's game. 

I hope the FO does something really creative today but I don't see what it's going to be.  It appears that they're going to have to choose between DL'ing a pitcher (whom they need) for ten days, option a pitcher or two (whom they're also going to need) to Pawtucket, risk putting certain pitchers (whom they also need) on waivers, and/or sending one or more position players back to Pawtucket to make room for the arms they need tonight. 

Any or all of those options could cost them more than one game within the next week.  It appears to me that Farrell lost sight of his goal of winning the AL East and instead tried too hard to win one game. 

And before anyone asks, I would have had a position player pitching earlier in extra innings and probably lost the game, but the staff would be in better shape for the upcoming games.

The only way this could have worked out any worse would be if the Sox had lost last night.

But... I'm still hoping for something creative,  maybe by the time I click on "Add your post".  Smile

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

[QUOTE]

Remember Clay Buccholz?

or Dustin Pedroia.  How many wanted him benched or sent down, the first few months of his rookie season?

[/QUOTE]

Another great example.....do we think it was worth leaving pedroia in the lineup struggling for a few months considering what he's done over the last 6 years? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Remember Clay Buccholz?

[/QUOTE]

Another great example.....do we think it was worth leaving pedroia in the lineup struggling for a few months considering what he's done over the last 6 years? 

[/QUOTE]

great...perhaps we should have done that also with Renteria. Smoltz, Cameron, Gagne, etc? Because we know everyone who struggles like a SDrew or those mentioned above will ultimately produce and be awesome players, like Pedroia? That happens a lot...

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Remember Clay Buccholz?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

great...perhaps we should have done that also with Renteria. Smoltz, Cameron, Gagne, etc? Because we know everyone who struggles like a SDrew or those mentioned above will ultimately produce and be awesome players, like Pedroia? That happens a lot...

[/QUOTE]

No....I'm not talking about those players.  We knew pedroia and clay were top prospects with tremendous talent coming up, just like Will Middlebrooks. Smoltz was at the end of his career as was Cameron so comparing those guys are irrelevant.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think you missed the point I was trying to make.  All those players you mentioned either were proven MLB players who couldn't handle the heat or we in the twilight of their careers and couldn't police anymore.  Even then good players struggle, sometimes it's mental or physical; look at Uptons season? Do you think that will define his career.

The point I'm trying to make With WMB is that young players often struggle just like Pedroia did just like Clay did JUST IGGY did, just like JBJ has done this year.   Sometimes you have to endure growing pains....if you have a well built team you can endure That and it is through that process you build winning teams.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I could be wrong; I don't have a crystal ball I'll admit that but neither do You.  We can sit here all day and give examples of good and bad players, whoopidy doo.

That doesn't change that WMB before he exhausted his eligibility was the Red Sox top rated prospect and one of the top rated prospects in baseball or a reason. Because he has tremendous talent but he's still making adjustment.

Young players struggle in their full season more often that not; not struggling is more often the exception. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sorry, ADG, but there is no "but" to it.  Farrell did a great job, and last night the Sox bullpen, despite a horrible start by Lester, did not, as you predicted, vanish from the face of the earth.  De la Torre came up from Pawtucket, finished the game while giving up 1 run, and the rest of the bullpen rested.  Extra Bases (Peter Abraham) says De la Torre will likely return to Pawtucket and be replaced by Aceves, who is expected to start in place of Buchholz tonight.

What Farrell did Monday night was deal with a very messy situation.  Lackey was tattooed, but the bullpen was only a little better and the Rays caught up in the 8th.  In the 10th the closer Bailey gave back the two runs the Sox got in the top of the 10th, but then came the miracle double play with the bases loaded and nobody out, followed by that brilliant assist by Pedroia to get the drag bunter out.  So now you're in the 11th inning and have to send someone out there.  And somebody else.  Finally, Morales, the planned starter for Wed night, goes in to pitch the 13th and then the 14th, which he does easily and the Sox win.

To repair the bullpen the Sox took the minimalist approach--send Mortensen down and De la Torre up--and it worked to perfection. 

We, all of us on this board, including me, are borderline clueless on how to manage a MLB team.  Farrell and Cherington really do know what they are doing. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Fans look to manage a game.  Managers look to manage 162 games.