Great Regular Season Red Sox!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: Great Regular Season Red Sox!

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

? u don't want Boston?

I do, but it's not about what I want. Tigers and A's would beat the Red Sox most of the time in a 7 game series format. "Like" means probability projection. As I said, I hope I'm wrong about a team that won 1 more game a month than I projected. Of course, I never factored in Tex and Jeter missing virtually the entire 2013 season, which is how this Red Sox team ended up with 6 more wins.

When did you project them to win that amount of games?  Can you show us please? You've only been here since 9/13...  Surely you aren't a banned poster that is now under a different screen name.  I don't think you're allowed to do that......  maybe somebody should let the BDC know of this atrocity....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Red Sox won 1 more game a month than I projected for what I called a "playoff bubble team title pretender". The Yankees losing Tex and Jeter for the entire season explains the 6 more wins. 

I hope I'm wrong on the title pretender projection, too. We'll see.

I like the Tigers or A's to win the AL, and the Cards or Dodgers to win the NL. Tigers and Cards    bring back memories of 1968 and the huge Tiger upset by virtue of Lolich shocking the baseball world.

Just a fundamental difference in perspective here.  

You spend all summer looking to find reasons like Yankee-injuries to take any luster off of Sox success and then see a title as the only possible outcome that is positive.

Me?  I have thoroughly enjoyed watching a gritty, clutch, and awesome baseball TEAM.  I have enjoyed the decidely different and higher-calibre baseball they have given us this summer.  What a great season of baseball.  The playoffs are, in baseball, more of a crap shoot than any sport, except maybe hockey but i don't care for hockey.  The Sox are primed to make a deep run, but who knows?  Not me.  But, no matter what, this has been an awesome season for me as a fan.   I want a title.  But I don't need one to tell me whether I have enjoyed Red sox baseball all year.  

And, no matter how you reduce the success, this club has played like anything but a "bubble" team.  

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Me?  I have thoroughly enjoyed watching a gritty, clutch, and awesome baseball TEAM.

I'm not in "awe" of this baseball team, after watching baseball for over 50 years.

The Playoffs are not "just a crap shoot". They are 5 and 7 game series for a reason, to expose the weaker roster construction and management and identify the better team. 

I'm not telling you anything about your subjective level of enjoyment of this season. Don't tell me about mine, either.

In the face of most on this board saying this team won't make the playoffs, I called them a "88 to 91 wins bubble playoff title pretender team". I noted that the budget means they are playoff contenders not playoff qualifying pretenders. That doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed the season, which is now entering the point where this labor group and it's payroll can't authentically claim to be successful without either winning it all or losing to the Dodgers, Cardinals, Braves or Tigers in a high performance level played series that ends in a razor's edge difference between the teams.

The "Divided we fall Federalist States of Industrial Economies" had an absurd war machine advantage but performed embarrassingly poorly on the battlefields. And you, of all people, should appreciate how resources play a vital role in evaluating job performance.

I do, Softy, I do appreciate how resources play a vital role in evlauating job performance.  But, as ever, you are loathe to allow the slightly-more-chaotic-than-real-life nature of athletic competition into your equation for "success".  OK, baseball playoffs not a crap shoot per se.  But, certainly not in any direct proportion to either resources or roster construction.  Related, yes, but directly proportional, no.  A team has to be hot and healthy.  

I am not telling you how to do anything.  But, you must forgive me if I haven't been able to detect your enjoyment of this season of baseball.  You offer precious little in the way of expression of said enjoyment.  Which is fine.  The BDC Forum moves to the dictae of many divergent views.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Sox ended up tied with the best record in all of MLB. They had one of the toughest schedules in MLB.  While they certainly did not have as many injuries as some teams, they did lose their 1 & 2 closers, their best hitter for the start of the year, their best pitcher for about half the year, and numerous lesser injuries throughout the season.

They had a great regular season: there's not doubt about it.

We set ourselves up for home field advantage all the way through. It was not a fluke. We did not back into the top spot. We earned it by playing consistent baseball. 

No 4 game losing streak. A median of 5 runs scored and 3 let up. No big blowouts followed by 3 one run losses. Our top 8 PA players all had an OPS over .777. Our 10th and 11th PA guys (Gomes and Carp) had OPs of .771 & .885.

The only top 11 PA guy with a low OPS was the one guy softy claimed had to have a big year for us to even dream of making the playoffs: Middlebrooks at .696. You know, the clown who lambasted hill for suggesting Middy "might have to spend some time in AAA in 2013". Yeah, that clown.

It's time to celebrate the great position we have going into the playoffs. We stack up well with any team out there. It won't be easy, but with home field advantage, my guess is Vegas will make us the favorites series by series.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Red Sox 4:1 odds

Dodgers 4:1

Tigers 5:1

Atlanta 7:1

St. Louis 7:1

Oakland 8:1

Cincy, Clevelan & Pittsburgh 16:1

TBR  18:1

TEX  20:1

Sox4ever

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

A team has to be hot and healthy.  

And the paid labor and management is responsible for that.

One man's "offer enjoyment" is another man's "offer no enjoyment".

Space, it's a professionally played game, and a game only. It's entertainment, and entertainment only, and even you won't question how much I enjoy it;)

I am not questioning your enjoyment.  Just your understanding.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

They had a great regular season

97 wins isn't a "great regular season". Ecellent, but not great. 

Had the Yankees not lost Tex and Jeter for virtually the entire season, it would have been low 90's.

You're saying that if the Yankees had Tex and Jeter we would have won 6 less games against them.

So you're saying that instead of 13-6 against them, we would have been 7-12.

And you're saying this in spite of the facts that:

a) we scored 120 runs in the 19 games or 6.3 runs per game, and

b) Tex and Jeter are not pitchers.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

You obviously are in to abstract cumalitive team stats. Meaningless. It's about the game to game metrics, which aren't reflected in any 6.3 runs per game against them.

With Tex or Jeter for most of the season. the dynamics change and the advantage leverage is gone. The impact of losing 3 or 4 more games to the Yankees has an impact on other games, as well. But a Red Sox team with 3 or 4 less wins going to the final month of the season is an entirely different dynamic. 

Aha, it was the dynamics changing and the advantage leverage being gone.  Glad that's cleared up.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

oh i get.  a past his prime 1b and over-the-hill ss coming off a broken ankle is the reason for a 6 game head-to-head swing.  hahahahahahaha.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

YOU ARE A JOKE

BTW - if the sox only lost 1 more game on each day with a full moon your rhetoric about yourself, the red sox, and baseball in general would still be garbage.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

Had the Yankees not lost Tex and Jeter for virtually the entire season, it would have been low 90's.

You're saying that if the Yankees had Tex and Jeter we would have won 6 less games against them.

So you're saying that instead of 13-6 against them, we would have been 7-12.

And you're saying this in spite of the facts that:

a) we scored 120 runs in the 19 games or 6.3 runs per game, and

b) Tex and Jeter are not pitchers.

[/QUOTE]

So, Jeter and Tex make a 6 game difference within an 18 game sample size. If you projected that to every team they played, I guess the clown is saying the Yanks would have won 120 games had the two declining players been healthy.

I can't understand why we can't just enjoy the great season.

BTW:

Great is "of ability, quality, or eminence considerably above the normal or average."

Excellent is "extremely good; outstanding."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

as for the OP....my sentiments exactly.  i am pleasantly surprised at the GREAT season had by the Boston Red Sox and am ecstatic that my preseason prediction of a .500 team (slightly more that 2 more losses per month) was not even close to being accurate.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

well....maybe if your boy jeter was on the team we would have won 116 games and historically would be considered "great".

but, alas, it was not meant to be.

for us regular old "fans" that expected a .500 team, it was a GREAT season by the red sox.  but we are not looking at it through all time historical eyes.  all though....one could say that going from worst to first would be considered a GREAT accomplishment.  wonder how often that has been done historically?

have a GREAT day.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In fact, I said that Middlebrooks had to have a great season for the Red Sox to be more than a bubble playoff qualifier title pretender. I also correclty stated that he should be DL'd, not demoted to assuage the foolish S. Drew contract. S. Drew is an albatross that I think will turn out to haunt this team before it's over. But make no mistake, if Middlebrooks performs poorly in the playoffs this Red Sox team isn't winning any title. It should also be noted that Middlebrooks has performed decently since returning from the inappropriate demotion. It also should be noted that Moonslav was throwing out Middlebrooks' name in various trades during the summer. 

Celebrating this labor payroll's position going into the playoffs is for fools. 

Vegas betting favortie payout hedge is meaningless on the winning it all basis, and is often the kiss of death.

No reason to celebrate until the job that was paid for is actually finished.

Plenty of reason to celebrate a complete turnaround, which to me does indeed amount to a great season even though I agree the playoffs tend to define the true quality of a season.

Vegas odds are important because those are knowledgeable fans in the aggregate.  Ken Pomeroy has developed a wide variety of useful stats on college basketball and even uses his formulae to predict game outcomes.  He does pretty well, but says the best predictors are the Las Vegas odds. 

Interesting you are willing to go so far out on a limb insisting Middlebrooks and Middlebrooks alone will determine the Sox postseason success.  In other words, pitching doesn't count, and the other 8 bats in the lineup don't count for much.  The Sox won 6 of 8 on the road in California--against the Dodgers and Giants--with Ortiz a nonfactor, and Ortiz is far and away the best offensive player on the team. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Great is "of ability, quality, or eminence considerably above the normal or average."

Where did you get that definition of "great", from the MLBPA? "Great

great - markedly superior in character or quality  (Websters)

Superior is the greatest in quality. We're getting ready to define that team for this season. But in the context of baseball history, there is nothing great about the 2013 Red Sox season.

Did you bother to look up "ecellent"?  Here's what Webster had to say about Excellent (note the words "superior" and "first class"):

Full Definition of EXCELLENT 1 archaic :  superior

2 :  very good of its kind :  eminently good :  first-class

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

great [greyt] Show IPA adjective, great·er, great·est, adverb, noun, plural greats ( especially collectively ) great, interjection

adjective  wonderful; first-rate; very good: We had a great time. That's great! being such in an extreme or notable degree: great friends; a great talker.   ex·cel·lent [ek-suh-luhnt] Show IPA adjective possessing outstanding quality or superior merit; remarkably good. Archaic. extraordinary; superior.    

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

lest we forget...RSF also thinks losing 2 out of 3 (or winning 2 out of 3) is a series split.....

25. This post has been removed.