Hanrahan / Iglesias

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Re: Hanrahan / Iglesias

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, we do need a closer.  But.... Inglesias is 21.

Let's not say he can't hit.  Let's say he hasn't become a good hitter yet. 

I would like to send Aceves & a decent minor league player for Hanrahan. 

[/QUOTE]

Actually, Iglesias is just about 23.

IRT to the OP, I wouldn't make the trade.  It is only one year of a guy that isn't a lock.  And suppose Bailey is back to form?  Then we'd have traded 6 years of a possibly good Iglesias for one year of a guy that might be relegated to 7th inning duties.

[/QUOTE]

You are right - he will be 23 in January.

As a side note, not related to your commment but more in response to the Inglesias can't hit crowd:

I think Ozzie Smith batted .213 when he was 24.  So maybe there is a chanc ethe kid could become a better hitter? 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

IRT to the OP, I wouldn't make the trade.  It is only one year of a guy that isn't a lock.  And suppose Bailey is back to form?  Then we'd have traded 6 years of a possibly good Iglesias for one year of a guy that might be relegated to 7th inning duties.

[/QUOTE]

As a side note, not related to your commment but more in response to the Inglesias can't hit crowd:

I think Ozzie Smith batted .213 when he was 24.  So maybe there is a chanc ethe kid could become a better hitter? 

[/QUOTE]

I am a huge proponent of having great gloves up the middle and batting 9th.  He also probably needs another in the minors.  And Drew is a great fit for one year.

I defintely think Iggy will become a better hitter.  He had a 104/48 K/W at the AAA level, with a .589 OPS at a relatively young age, I'd guess at least one year young.  The youngest at Pawtuckett in 2011 and 2012.  I have the rose-colored glasses on, but I think he compares favorably to Ozzie.

You're not going to believe it, but some posters will look at one year, disregard all context, and say a players' career is over.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tripleb2066's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://nesn.com/2012/12/report-pirates-targeting-jose-iglesias-dee-gordon-in-joel-hanrahan-trade-talks/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=br_redsox

I saw this coming as soon as the Drew signing. Iglesias is a perfect fit for the Pirates. I hope they keep Jose. I wanted him to get a shot at the job this year. I'm hoping they can get Hanrahan for junk. Aceves or someone else they don't want.

[/QUOTE]

They'd be foolish to consider Aceves "junk" or unwanted.

[/QUOTE]

If and when Aceves is moved you will eventually notice a huge hole that will have to be filled by 2 or 3 pitchers. He made a mistake showing up BV--we all make mistakes--the positive is to learn from the mistakes.

[/QUOTE]

I would argue that showing up Bobby V was no mistake. The guy needed to be shown up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

In response to Flattiehater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Aceves and Iglesias for Hanrahan and Locke.

[/QUOTE]

Locke is a former top prospect who had a 5.50 ERA (!) in 8 games (6 starts). He is an even bigger gamble than Iglesias. Instead, let's include Garrett Jones. He's exactly what Cherry wants; a 1B/OF that can hit. The Bucs are willing to trade him. He hit 27 homers last year in a pitcher's park.

Aceves, Iglesias, a C prospect, and cash for Hanrahan and Jones.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

I Like It, Pull It Off Ben&Cherries.................

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Trade, Then Get Lohse Or Jurrgens, Were Good......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wvwc61. Show wvwc61's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

Bailey stinks and is always injured. Hanrahan is a good closer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Furcal Was 19 If Iggs Is 23 And Cant Hit, Move Him........

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Furcal Was 19 If Iggs Is 23 And Cant Hit, Move Him........

[/QUOTE]

Ozzie Smith hit .211 at the age of 24

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Iggy can hit. He did hit last year with a lot of bad luck as most of his hard hit balls went right at someone. I agree he could definitely use more work and another year at AAA wouldnt hurt, but to trade him for a guy whos BB rate went way up along with other concerning issues is foolish at best.

Iggy still has all of his arb years along with this season left. Thats 4 years of control for 1 of a questionable bullpen arm? No way I make that trade. Maybe another bp arm or give them Ciriaco back...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

look at all the SS we have in our system..

xander bogaerts

jose vinicio

deven marrero

tzu-wei lin

i would deal iglesias for hanrahan...his stock might go down and we could get crap for him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Bard, Bailey, Meloncolly, Taz.... and some of you want to trade away an elite 23 year old defender who may or may not hit and for another reliever (closer)?  

Really in all honesty those who support this idea should not post again for 30 days.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bard, Bailey, Meloncolly, Taz.... and some of you want to trade away an elite 23 year old defender who may or may not hit and for another reliever (closer)?  

Really in all honesty those who support this idea should not post again for 30 days.

[/QUOTE]

I find it amazing how many are ready to let him go for an inconsistant from year to year bullpen arm. I also think 30 days isnt long enough.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

^^^^^^^^^ I agree.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brawny27. Show Brawny27's posts

In response to never1954's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pittsburg is the type of team someone like Iggy could up his stock.  My guess right now its pretty low.  Flipping him and someone like Aceves for Hanrahan might not be a bad return.  Still think we need a top of the rotation type but this one you should take.

[/QUOTE]

Yes red sox are looking to Upgrade as much pitching as they can,Hanrahan has really good stuff,good sounding deal, get it done!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobLoblaw2005a. Show BobLoblaw2005a's posts

Bailey was very good prior to last season (when his suckitude brought his career ERA all the way up to 2.47) and will still be just 29...why not give him a chance to bounce back? In addition, Melancon and Uehara have closed in the past with some success; Bard was considered a future closer before last season's debacle; Aceves now has closing experience (though it wasn't pretty); and Tazawa seems to have the stuff to close (as does De La Rosa, if he doesn't remain a starter).

Why we'd feel the need to trade prospects for a closer at this juncture escapes me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to BobLoblaw2005a's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bailey was very good prior to last season (when his suckitude brought his career ERA all the way up to 2.47) and will still be just 29...why not give him a chance to bounce back? In addition, Melancon and Uehara have closed in the past with some success; Bard was considered a future closer before last season's debacle; Aceves now has closing experience (though it wasn't pretty); and Tazawa seems to have the stuff to close (as does De La Rosa, if he doesn't remain a starter).

Why we'd feel the need to trade prospects for a closer at this juncture escapes me.

[/QUOTE]

Especially a SS given the run of ineptitude we've had at that position since 2005.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

TheyThey're might do this because Jose was more of a Theo signing and Ben wants his team.  He asked for honest answers from the staff and they said he can't hit a lick.  Also, with at least 2 SS in the system this was more portable.

also, if they trade for JH you don't know if Ben has another trade that would subsequently happen. He has a40 man roster to deal with.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox will trade Iglesias. Iglesias will start to hit and go on to an outstanding career. Then , the loyal Ben supporters on here will say " Who could have known that Iglesias would be that good?" As for the interest in Hanrahan; What happened to the idea that Bailey would be healthy and an elite closer this year ? Give up on that?  Meanwhile , Papelbon and Reddick are thriving elsewhere. Expect the same  scenario to repeat itself if Iglesias is dealt. And , expect more of the same excuses. 

[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, he's just going to start hitting...lol. Take whatever they can get for the overhyped Iggy.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I find it amazing how many are ready to let him go for an inconsistant from year to year bullpen arm. I also think 30 days isnt long enough.

[/QUOTE]

Reddick for Bailey and now some want Iggy 4 Hanra.... and we still have Bailey!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Bailey deserves another chance to be the closer.  After all, he was hurt in 2012. 

If Bailey continues to stink, then have Tazawa be the closer. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bogaerts should be moved to 1B or 3B.

(Sidenote: Cecchini or Middlebrooks may be moved to 1B as well.)

We may be deep in SS prospects, but none are that great unless you believe Bogaerts will learn how to play SS well enough in the next 1-2 years.

Other SS prospects by rank:

10 Iggy (age 22)

13 Marrero (22)

19 Vinicio  (19)

32 Lin (19)

As I have said for 2 years now, I want Iggy as our starting SS, but if Ben is not going to give Iggy a chance, he should trade him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

So we are deep in SS prospects but we have not had one since 2004? I am tired of it.

Iggy has the job until July 15th.  Obviously Nancy Drews brother will prohibit that. Thanks Cherry!