Hanrahan / Iglesias

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Hanrahan / Iglesias

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So we are deep in SS prospects but we have not had one since 2004? I am tired of it.

Iggy has the job until July 15th.  Obviously Nancy Drews brother will prohibit that. Thanks Cherry!

[/QUOTE]

We won a WS in 2004 with Cabrera and again in 2007 we won another with Lugo (never a fan favorite). Having a regular SS is the least of my concerns.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Yes lets us not have regulars anywhere.

Tell me were there regulars at CA, RF, LF, CF, 3B, or 2B in either 2004 or 2007?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

im not saying i want to trade iggy.... but i would understand if they did. iggy has a 1 year window for our team. 2014.. in 2013 drew is obviously going to be slotted in. iggy in 2014 and by the time 2015 rolls around the rest of our SS prospects will have shaken out and he can be replaced. Using that logic, i wouldn't care if we traded iggy for JH to further make us contenders. The only bad part is hes under control for only 1 more year... maybe if we could negotiate a contract w/ him i would give up iggy.

and who says if we trade for JH that we can't have bailey in the mix too? didn't know it was against the rules to have multiple guys with closing experience on your roster (oh wait....we already do). If we're not going to bolster our SP then lets have a monster BP. it worked for the O's last season..

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

.......what moves did you like?

For fit: I like D. Ross (overpay wasn't necessary, 1 year and 3.75, option 2nd year at 3 and butyout for 1.25 would have closed the deal) but I approve of this acquisition, If you haven't been paying attention, I rate this deal as Value Grade C- and Fit Grade B (That means I "sign off on it", which is not the case of a player who is Value Grade below C- even if a fit Grade above C Grade)  

Shorthand: I'm "on board with D. Ross", whereas I was not on Board with F Value Lackey, even though he was a B Grade fit years ago)

Gomes: I find more value in Gomes than C. Ross. There was a needlesss overpay for Gomes, but it was a smaller percentage overpay than D. Ross. I valued Gomes at 2 years and base 3 to platoon. He signed for 2 @ base 5. I rate this as a value Grade C+ and a Fit Grade B-

Shorthand: I'm "on board with this move as it marginally passes the value grade and is a deent fit in the platoon OF role (Examples from years ago, Lackey was a total failure on the value grade and so was Jason Bay, which means I was not on board with market offers and acquiring those guys. Lackey was part of the  "Big Three" prima donna class FA class and was the only one who was a fit, but he was a disaster and a failure on  the value grade Also, see my comments that say "avoid this guy like the plague)

What moves do you want to see Ben make?

Since you haven't been reading my specific full roster construction comments for many months, here are the moves Ben should have make or have made:

1. Use the following trade pool to acquire J. Upton:

Ellsbury for a full season plus his draft compensation at year end (don't ape qualifying offer)

Brentz (if better offers, subtract Brentz and add Bogaerts)

De La Rosa or Webster

Any other single player on the farm accept Barnes and Bradley, Jr. (include Brentz with Bogaerts if better offers, unlikely)

2. Acquire R. Johnson for 1 year and 2M

3. Offer minor league contracts to Sizemore and Pods (1 year low single digit base and player may become FA if not added to MLB roster near the last stage of spring training)

4. Offer the Tigers 2 outside the top 6 BA rankings for internal Red Sox farm rankings for VMart, flowchart backup: offer Napoli 2 years and 20M (I've revised that because all contract offers are subject to medical exam and record studies and now place the value offer down to one year and 14M with an option for a 2nd year @ 14M and an option for a 2nd year at 14M with a buyout for 2M), flowchart backup: acquire Loney for 1 year and 2 million with an option for a 2nd year @ 2M and a butyout of  5k) and platoon Loney and Gomez for one season

5. Offer Guthrie 2 years and base 6M (signed for 3 years and base 8M, no loss there)

6. Offer MLB contract of 1 year and 2M to Saunders, flowchart backup MLB contract offer to J. Sanchez for 1 year and 1M

7. Offer minor league contracts of 1 to 2M (standard FA if not added to MLB roster sunset) in the following order (48 hours expiration) to:

Bedard

Harden

Wang

Lowe

Does that answer your question...................................................  

[/QUOTE]

Not that question, but it does answer the question of "Is softy delusional?"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I hate this trade.  I'm admittedly a "defensive" guy at least up the middle, and Iggy completes that. 

Ya, we have prospects @ SS in the minors and that's just what they are... prospects.  Some make it and some don't.  And Iggy is barely more than a prospect but at least he's a prospect with exceptional defensive skills.  There's no way I'd part with this guy until he gets at least half a season at the ML level to prove whether or not he can hit.  And it could be in 2013 or 2014.

Yes, there's a gamble in it because if he proves he can't hit he's not worth as much as he is now, but for defensive skills like his ... I'll take that chance.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There's no way I'd part with this guy until he gets at least half a season at the ML level to prove whether or not he can hit.  And it could be in 2013 or 2014.

I agree 100%, but since as long as Ben is the GM, Iggy will never get that chance, Ben should trade him.

Iggy will soon be paid a total of over $8M to play in the minors for 4 years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hate this trade.  I'm admittedly a "defensive" guy at least up the middle, and Iggy completes that. 

Ya, we have prospects @ SS in the minors and that's just what they are... prospects.  Some make it and some don't.  And Iggy is barely more than a prospect but at least he's a prospect with exceptional defensive skills.  There's no way I'd part with this guy until he gets at least half a season at the ML level to prove whether or not he can hit.  And it could be in 2013 or 2014.

Yes, there's a gamble in it because if he proves he can't hit he's not worth as much as he is now, but for defensive skills like his ... I'll take that chance.

[/QUOTE]

i guess it all comes down to who do you think the Red Sox SS carousel will land on? I've never been really high on iggy so i may be a little more biased than most but i don't see him being our SS for years to come. I'm willing to give him the chance but i also see 4 other SSs behind him who have just as good a shot. If we could trade for JH and extend him then i might be willing to give up Iggy though it could probably get done without giving him up.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

this is just me..but i like marrero better than iglesias...so i am fine with dealing him..can we get more than hanrahan for him? in another deal? i'm not sure...nobody is busting down the door trying to get him?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Joel Hanrahan - R - Pirates

ESPN Boston's Gordon Edes reports that Joel Hanrahan is close to being dealt to the Red Sox.

Related: Red Sox   Source: ESPN Boston Dec 22

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

A Red Sox trade for Joel Hanrahan is near, according to ESPN's Gordon Edes:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8772487/joel-hanrahan-close-being-traded-pittsburgh-pirates-boston-red-sox

Raider nipped me by 24 seconds. ;-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Delusional is "trade for Santana and extend him".

At least I admitted I was wrong- something you should try sometime, especially since you have been wrong for 403 straight positions taken.

Delusional is "offer Wakefield 2M contract for 2012".

The "delusion" is your repeated misrepresrentation of my offer. Also, how "delusional" was it for me to think Wake might have done better than what our 5/6 starters did in 2012:

Bard 5.30 in 10GS

Cook 5.65 in 18 GS

Dice  8,28 in 11 GS

Zach S 22.24 in 2 GS

Delusional is changing 2nd rate garbage names to trade for Anderson, and then saying that your SP plan was to pay 11 million for McCarthey and Colon.

[/QUOTE]

My plan was to gear towards 2014 and beyond. My plan was never to sign Colon. You asked on another thread for us to say which pitchers were worth the money spent on them. I answered McCarthy (who I did suggest we offer $24M/3) and Colon (who I never said I'd offer a contract). Twist and delude some more, clown.

My offer for B Anderson is much closer to realistic than your farm scraps and one year of Ells for Upton.

My offer for Anderson was very specific. You told me that I needed to state a "pool of players" to be more realistic, so I did, and now you fault me for "changing the names to trade".

Do you even pay attention to your own rants?

AZ does not want 1 year of Ellsbury. yes, they'd like the sandwich pick when he bolts. Adding Bogaerts, Brentz (not wanted by AZ) and one of de la Rosa (may or may not want much) and other farm scraps is not even close to an offer AZ would take any more than your foolish offer of Jake & Jed for AGon.

My for Anderson is much more realistic, and you at first, said I had offered too much, but then after being schooled on who Brett Anderson really is (you had called him a "bum" at first), now you say my offer is not enough. Comical. Clownish. Delusional.

Again, my suggested offer for Anderson:

One of Doubront, Morales, or Tazawa

Salty (and cash) or Lava

Cecchini

Any prospect not in the top 10 on soxprospects,com

I later siad, "make it happen" and suggested we could offer Bogaerts or Bradley instead of Cecchini and the catcher.

My guess is the trade would be Doubront, Bogaerts and Britton or Tazawa, Bradley and Marrero. Either way, this is much more reaistic than your drivel.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

.......what moves did you like?

For fit: I like D. Ross (overpay wasn't necessary, 1 year and 3.75, option 2nd year at 3 and butyout for 1.25 would have closed the deal) but I approve of this acquisition, If you haven't been paying attention, I rate this deal as Value Grade C- and Fit Grade B (That means I "sign off on it", which is not the case of a player who is Value Grade below C- even if a fit Grade above C Grade)  

Shorthand: I'm "on board with D. Ross", whereas I was not on Board with F Value Lackey, even though he was a B Grade fit years ago)

Gomes: I find more value in Gomes than C. Ross. There was a needlesss overpay for Gomes, but it was a smaller percentage overpay than D. Ross. I valued Gomes at 2 years and base 3 to platoon. He signed for 2 @ base 5. I rate this as a value Grade C+ and a Fit Grade B-

Shorthand: I'm "on board with this move as it marginally passes the value grade and is a deent fit in the platoon OF role (Examples from years ago, Lackey was a total failure on the value grade and so was Jason Bay, which means I was not on board with market offers and acquiring those guys. Lackey was part of the  "Big Three" prima donna class FA class and was the only one who was a fit, but he was a disaster and a failure on  the value grade Also, see my comments that say "avoid this guy like the plague)

What moves do you want to see Ben make?

Since you haven't been reading my specific full roster construction comments for many months, here are the moves Ben should have make or have made:

1. Use the following trade pool to acquire J. Upton:

Ellsbury for a full season plus his draft compensation at year end (don't ape qualifying offer)

Brentz (if better offers, subtract Brentz and add Bogaerts)

De La Rosa or Webster

Any other single player on the farm accept Barnes and Bradley, Jr. (include Brentz with Bogaerts if better offers, unlikely)

2. Acquire R. Johnson for 1 year and 2M

3. Offer minor league contracts to Sizemore and Pods (1 year low single digit base and player may become FA if not added to MLB roster near the last stage of spring training)

4. Offer the Tigers 2 outside the top 6 BA rankings for internal Red Sox farm rankings for VMart, flowchart backup: offer Napoli 2 years and 20M (I've revised that because all contract offers are subject to medical exam and record studies and now place the value offer down to one year and 14M with an option for a 2nd year @ 14M and an option for a 2nd year at 14M with a buyout for 2M), flowchart backup: acquire Loney for 1 year and 2 million with an option for a 2nd year @ 2M and a butyout of  5k) and platoon Loney and Gomez for one season

5. Offer Guthrie 2 years and base 6M (signed for 3 years and base 8M, no loss there)

6. Offer MLB contract of 1 year and 2M to Saunders, flowchart backup MLB contract offer to J. Sanchez for 1 year and 1M

7. Offer minor league contracts of 1 to 2M (standard FA if not added to MLB roster sunset) in the following order (48 hours expiration) to:

Bedard

Harden

Wang

Lowe

Does that answer your question...................................................  

[/QUOTE]

Not that question, but it does answer the question of "Is softy delusional?"

[/QUOTE]

There is one problem with Softy assesment. Rich Harden has already signed a minor leaugue deal with the twins.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

So again....let me get this straight..... we give up a prospect who we really have no real need for because we signed Drew and have a solid bunch of prospects waiting in the wings....for a VERY solid PROVEN closer??  Soooooo.....what the heck is the issue with that?!?!  Face it people...Iggy IS NOT GOING TO PLAY!!  Lets get something for him while we can!  All of us agree that our starters are not that good....something I disagree with....but anyway, what makes average starters better??  AN EXCELLENT BP!!!!!  Bring in Hanrahan and we have BP of Bailey, Taz, Han, U and Ace coming in to shut the door down and keep us in the game!!  The Sox blew TWENTY TWO games last year.... THAT's TWENTY TWO!!!!  In 2004 and 2007 when they had a great BP they blew a COMBINED 19 saves!!  Come on people.....wake up!!  Pitching wins games....and starters now a days only give you a maximum of 7 innings...usually just 6 or 5.  If I remember correctly its a nine inning game.....

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Did softlaw1 really write: "6. Offer MLB contract of 1 year and 2M to Saunders, flowchart backup MLB contract offer to J. Sanchez for 1 year and 1M"?

What is the over/under on a one-year, $2 million contract for Joe Saunders?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

There is one problem with Softy assesment. Rich Harden has already signed a minor leaugue deal with the twins

And Loney has signed with Rays. My post wasn't about who has signed where, you dim wit. It was about what would I have done differently than Cherry.

[/QUOTE]

Your still fckn nuts softy. Stop trying to run the red sox like the Kansas city fckn royals.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Did softlaw1 really write: "6. Offer MLB contract of 1 year and 2M to Saunders, flowchart backup MLB contract offer to J. Sanchez for 1 year and 1M"?

What is the over/under on a one-year, $2 million contract for Joe Saunders?

[/QUOTE]

Over. Id say with his decent performance with the O;s after being traded from the diamondbacks, Id say he fetches somewhere around 2/10 all the way up to 3/25

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

AZ does not want 1 year of Ellsbury. yes, they'd like the sandwich pick when he bolts. Adding Bogaerts, Brentz (not wanted by AZ) and one of de la Rosa (may or may not want much) and other farm scraps is not even close to an offer AZ would take

You are such a dim wit. The trake market isn't "AZ doesn't want Ellsbury or Bogearts or Brentz), and you don't have a clue what AZ would "take". The trade market includes the entire league, you dim wit!

Again, my suggested offer for Anderson:

One of Doubront, Morales, or Tazawa (3rd rate pitcher)

Salty (and cash) or Lava (3rd rate catcher and prospect)

Cecchini (2nd teir prospect)

Any prospect not in the top 10 on soxprospects,com (Farm scrap)

Stooge, that's a joke!

And Anderson as your pipe dream is a 2nd rate pitcher, will not be traded for your pipe dream cast-offs.

Bogaerts is not a farm scrap.

Ellsbury for one year and his compensation is not a farm scrap.

You and your Wakefield loving nonsense and offer him 2M are beyond hope and intelligence.

[/QUOTE]

By your own definition, anyone in the bottom of BA's top 100 prospects is a "farm scrap". You said it- not me.

Why is Bogaerts not a "farm scrap" when offered to AZ for Upton, but he is a "cast off" when I offer him to the A's?

Don't answer, you might trip over yourself and be in the hospital for Christmas.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I thought softlaw was the Grinch...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought softlaw was the Grinch...

[/QUOTE]

Can't be.

The Grinch can change.

softy is incapable of redemption.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

[QUOTE]

Bogaerts should be moved to 1B or 3B.

(Sidenote: Cecchini or Middlebrooks may be moved to 1B as well.)

We may be deep in SS prospects, but none are that great unless you believe Bogaerts will learn how to play SS well enough in the next 1-2 years.

Other SS prospects by rank:

10 Iggy (age 22)

13 Marrero (22)

19 Vinicio  (19)

32 Lin (19)

As I have said for 2 years now, I want Iggy as our starting SS, but if Ben is not going to give Iggy a chance, he should trade him.

[/QUOTE]

Nice post! I agree completely. I hope they start Bogaerts at first. Much easier than handling SS and hopefully it will speed his progress to the majors.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bogaerts should be moved to 1B or 3B.

(Sidenote: Cecchini or Middlebrooks may be moved to 1B as well.)

We may be deep in SS prospects, but none are that great unless you believe Bogaerts will learn how to play SS well enough in the next 1-2 years.

Other SS prospects by rank:

10 Iggy (age 22)

13 Marrero (22)

19 Vinicio  (19)

32 Lin (19)

As I have said for 2 years now, I want Iggy as our starting SS, but if Ben is not going to give Iggy a chance, he should trade him.

[/QUOTE]

Nice post! I agree completely. I hope they start Bogaerts at first. Much easier than handling SS and hopefully it will speed his progress to the majors.

[/QUOTE]

Bogaerts is tall enough to play 1B, and moving him to RF as the clown wants is just plain silly.

I'm not sure who the best fielding 3Bman is out of Middlebrooks, Bogaerts or Cecchini, but the worst one should be moved to 1B this year, and the second worst should get some reps at 1B this year at some point.