Re: Hanrahan / Iglesias
posted at 12/22/2012 1:39 PM EST
In response to moonslav59's comment:
In response to Softlaw1's comment:
.......what moves did you like?
For fit: I like D. Ross (overpay wasn't necessary, 1 year and 3.75, option 2nd year at 3 and butyout for 1.25 would have closed the deal) but I approve of this acquisition, If you haven't been paying attention, I rate this deal as Value Grade C- and Fit Grade B (That means I "sign off on it", which is not the case of a player who is Value Grade below C- even if a fit Grade above C Grade)
Shorthand: I'm "on board with D. Ross", whereas I was not on Board with F Value Lackey, even though he was a B Grade fit years ago)
Gomes: I find more value in Gomes than C. Ross. There was a needlesss overpay for Gomes, but it was a smaller percentage overpay than D. Ross. I valued Gomes at 2 years and base 3 to platoon. He signed for 2 @ base 5. I rate this as a value Grade C+ and a Fit Grade B-
Shorthand: I'm "on board with this move as it marginally passes the value grade and is a deent fit in the platoon OF role (Examples from years ago, Lackey was a total failure on the value grade and so was Jason Bay, which means I was not on board with market offers and acquiring those guys. Lackey was part of the "Big Three" prima donna class FA class and was the only one who was a fit, but he was a disaster and a failure on the value grade Also, see my comments that say "avoid this guy like the plague)
What moves do you want to see Ben make?
Since you haven't been reading my specific full roster construction comments for many months, here are the moves Ben should have make or have made:
1. Use the following trade pool to acquire J. Upton:
Ellsbury for a full season plus his draft compensation at year end (don't ape qualifying offer)
Brentz (if better offers, subtract Brentz and add Bogaerts)
De La Rosa or Webster
Any other single player on the farm accept Barnes and Bradley, Jr. (include Brentz with Bogaerts if better offers, unlikely)
2. Acquire R. Johnson for 1 year and 2M
3. Offer minor league contracts to Sizemore and Pods (1 year low single digit base and player may become FA if not added to MLB roster near the last stage of spring training)
4. Offer the Tigers 2 outside the top 6 BA rankings for internal Red Sox farm rankings for VMart, flowchart backup: offer Napoli 2 years and 20M (I've revised that because all contract offers are subject to medical exam and record studies and now place the value offer down to one year and 14M with an option for a 2nd year @ 14M and an option for a 2nd year at 14M with a buyout for 2M), flowchart backup: acquire Loney for 1 year and 2 million with an option for a 2nd year @ 2M and a butyout of 5k) and platoon Loney and Gomez for one season
5. Offer Guthrie 2 years and base 6M (signed for 3 years and base 8M, no loss there)
6. Offer MLB contract of 1 year and 2M to Saunders, flowchart backup MLB contract offer to J. Sanchez for 1 year and 1M
7. Offer minor league contracts of 1 to 2M (standard FA if not added to MLB roster sunset) in the following order (48 hours expiration) to:
Does that answer your question...................................................
Not that question, but it does answer the question of "Is softy delusional?"
There is one problem with Softy assesment. Rich Harden has already signed a minor leaugue deal with the twins.