Hats off to Jon Lester

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Hats off to Jon Lester

We've been pretty quick to bash the Red Sox starters on this forum the last few months, so I want to be among the first to offer kudos to Mr. Lester on a very nice game tonight.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Re: Hats off to Jon Lester

Nice game Lester! And just like that, he's back close to his career averages. As I watched the game tonight it struck me that 4 of our starters are home grown and 4 of our position players tonight were homegrown as well (though Shoppach left and came back a FA). Not bad for a big payroll team that doesn't play their kids.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yes, congratulations Jon for earning your SECOND win on MAY 14th against one of the weakest hitting line ups in baseball - not one guy is batting .300, the team leader in HR's is Montero with I think ~ 5, and not one guy is even close to a .400 OBP or a .500 SLG % - nada uno.......but they do have a pair of guys with so many holes in their bats they are on pace for some serious strike out totals this year.  Yes, Jon thanks for doing your job to earn your ENORMOUS paycheck (> Six Figures per week).........

This is like patting a guy on the back for hitting into a double play w/ no men out and the bases loaded down by 5 runs because "a run scored on his weak ground ball".....Are these the same people who when were kids got trophies when their teams came in last place?  Or didn't receive grades in school????  Truly a testament to what our society has become:  You're all winners and you all deserve your fair share no matter what.........

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In Response to Re: Hats off to Jon Lester:
    [QUOTE]Yes, congratulations Jon for earning your SECOND win on MAY 14th against one of the weakest hitting line ups in basebal l - not one guy is batting .300, the team leader in HR's is Montero with I think ~ 5, and not one guy is even close to a .400 OBP or a .500 SLG % - nada uno.......but they do have a pair of guys with so many holes in their bats they are on pace for some serious strike out totals this year.  Yes, Jon thanks for doing your job to earn your ENORMOUS paycheck ( /> Six Figures per week )......... This is like patting a guy on the back for hitting into a double play w/ no men out and the bases loaded down by 5 runs because "a run scored on his weak ground ball".....Are these the same people who when were kids got trophies when their teams came in last place?  Or didn't receive grades in school????  Truly a testament to what our society has become:  You're all winners and you all deserve your fair share no matter what .........
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Wrong, this is like congratulation a hitter on hitting a game winning home run off a major league pitcher who isn't an all star.  There's plenty of posts for whining "fans" like you, why do you feel the need to jump on one of the few positive posts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Nope, bases loaded no out you are SUPPOSED to be able to knock a runner in.  That's what you get paid for.

Jon Lester gets paid a ton of money and to beat a VERY weak hitting team for just his second win already half way through May is embarrasing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, congratulations Jon for earning your SECOND win on MAY 14th against one of the weakest hitting line ups in basebal l - not one guy is batting .300, the team leader in HR's is Montero with I think ~ 5, and not one guy is even close to a .400 OBP or a .500 SLG % - nada uno.......but they do have a pair of guys with so many holes in their bats they are on pace for some serious strike out totals this year.  Yes, Jon thanks for doing your job to earn your ENORMOUS paycheck ( /> Six Figures per week )......... This is like patting a guy on the back for hitting into a double play w/ no men out and the bases loaded down by 5 runs because "a run scored on his weak ground ball".....Are these the same people who when were kids got trophies when their teams came in last place?  Or didn't receive grades in school????  Truly a testament to what our society has become:  You're all winners and you all deserve your fair share no matter what .........

drew, precisely why the Valentine good so far thread is equally mind-numbing in that Valentine hasn't done anything special at this point of his managerial tenure in Sox jersey. Lester pitched great and you know what-HE DAMN WELL NEEDED TO..after not throwing so great for a long period of time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Pitching isn't the problem, nor has it been the problem.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Right, it's the whole "Sample Size" thing that people like to throw around

A Sample of Size of 5 BAD starts is not big enough to gauge a pitcher (which it is) but a Sample Size of 1 GOOD starts IS big enough to gauge a pitcher (which it isn't)........

I am sure that Carnie meant well here but perhaps it would have been better to say something like "About time, good game, Jon!" rather than hats off......of course, I support his opinion 100%.......The Gator's too.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]Right, it's the whole "Sample Size" thing that people like to throw around A Sample of Size of 5 BAD starts is not big enough to gauge a pitcher (which it is) but a Sample Size of 1 GOOD starts IS big enough to gauge a pitcher (which it isn't)........ I am sure that Carnie meant well here but perhaps it would have been better to say something like "About time, good game, Jon!" rather than hats off......of course, I support his opinion 100%.......The Gator's too.....
    You must be just looking for a place to spread your pessimism.  Noone said "Lester's turned his season around" or even "he pitched a great game", just "nice game" or "very nice game".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]Nope, bases loaded no out you are SUPPOSED to be able to knock a runner in.  That's what you get paid for. Jon Lester gets paid a ton of money and to beat a VERY weak hitting team for just his second win already half way through May is embarrasing.

What exactly should Lester find embarrassing???
    Should he be embarrassed that he didn't collect a win when he pitched seven innings of one run ball versus Verlander?  Or is it the fact that he gave up three runs over 8 innings and took the loss when the Sox could only manage 3 singles off Romero?  Maybe you are referring to his last start when he gave up one earned run over five innings but the team lost because of Byrd's error? 

Go look at Lester's game log then come back and tell us how bad he's been.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]Right, it's the whole "Sample Size" thing that people like to throw around A Sample of Size of 5 BAD starts is not big enough to gauge a pitcher (which it is) but a Sample Size of 1 GOOD starts IS big enough to gauge a pitcher (which it isn't)........ I am sure that Carnie meant well here but perhaps it would have been better to say something like "About time, good game, Jon!" rather than hats off......of course, I support his opinion 100%.......The Gator's too.....
    Andrew, the sample size is 8 starts.  The average over those 8 starts is solid and in-line with his career average.  If you think he has "1 GOOD start" then you must have amnesia.  I recall 7 IP and 0 runs; 7 IP and 1 run; 8 IP and 3 runs .... go look at his games. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I don't have to check

I know he made 8 starts

3 bad games of which 1 was downright horrific against a SUPERIOR offensive team

1 Gem, against an INFERIOR offensive team

4 good starts - of which I'll give the Peavey game being "very good"

Sorry, my hat stays on

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

You are a below average troll.  Answer my question: what should Lester be embarrassed about?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]I don't have to check I know he made 8 starts 3 bad games of which 1 was downright horrific against a SUPERIOR offensive team 1 Gem, against an INFERIOR offensive team 4 good starts - of which I'll give the Peavey game being "very good" Sorry, my hat stays on

So is your issue that he makes too much money in Comparison to his performance? If Felix Doubront had made those same 8 starts, it would be ok to congratulate him? Is it so outrageous for a Fan to support a player who gives an Excellent performance, even if to that point in the season he has only been ok in relation to what was expected of him? If they werent doing it via a Message Board, but were actually at the game, would you have them sit on their hands and not cheer for him, because he is only finally doing what he is being paid ENORMOUS money for and only what was expected?....Not my idea of what a fan should be.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hats off to Jon Lester : So is your issue that he makes too much money in Comparison to his performance? If Felix Doubront had made those same 8 starts, it would be ok to congratulate him? Is it so outrageous for a Fan to support a player who gives an Excellent performance, even if to that point in the season he has only been ok in relation to what was expected of him? If they werent doing it via a Message Board, but were actually at the game, would you have them sit on their hands and not cheer for him, because he is only finally doing what he is being paid ENORMOUS money for and only what was expected?....Not my idea of what a fan should be.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

Lester is the only pitcher I know who has said publicly that games in April don't mean anything to him.  And I find that very distrurbing that he is OK with throwing that many games away each year.  What about the fans who go to those games and pay Jon's ENORMOUS salary?  Do you think those games matter to the fans?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

tom, we can all be fans and still be critical on a messageboard. I was ecstatic that Lester pitched great last night, but at the same time, wasn't he due to do have a game like that after really so many below-Lester-par outings? In other words, shouldn't we have expected him to pitch this well? That's andrew's point and I agree with it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]You are a below average troll.  Answer my question: what should Lester be embarrassed about?
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's right.  Call me a troll and expect me to answer. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]tom, we can all be fans and still be critical on a messageboard. I was ecstatic that Lester pitched great last night, but at the same time, wasn't he due to do have a game like that after really so many below-Lester-par outings? In other words, shouldn't we have expected him to pitch this well? That's andrew's point and I agree with it.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

And against the Mariners.

I don't think it makes it OK that he got a good ol fashion Texas whooping from the Rangers just because he was able to man-handle the M's.....Again, Lester is supposed to shut down the M's.......Reminds me of the Chris Rock bit where he talked about men who brag because they don't hit their wives......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]You are a below average troll.  Answer my question: what should Lester be embarrassed about?
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

It is a free World, but isn't life too short to interact with that cat?

When park adjusted and opponents' quality is factored in, Lester is ranked between 25th and 30th amongst all pitchers in MLB for 2012.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Thank you Jon for doing your job.  Either way, as always your $300K check will be in your account by the close of business today.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hats off to Jon Lester : Yeah, that's right.  Call me a troll and expect me to answer. 
    If you were going to play at being upset about being called a troll you should have just ignored me.  Fact is, you won't answer because you are wrong.

You said: Lester should be "embarrassed" at having only 2 wins.  He shouldn't be.  He pitched one stinker and has otherwise been excellent to average in his starts.  Overall, he is a top caliber pitcher which is demonstrated by his stats so far this year and his stats for the prior four years.

You said: Lester had "one good game."  He has had 3 games that were EXCELLENT by any reasonable measure.

I called you a troll because you trolled this thread and numerous others.  If you have some defensible point go ahead and try to defend it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Thank you Jon for doing your job.  Either way, as always your $300K check will be in your account by the close of business today.

Just curious.  why do you dislike Lester so much?

You can dial him in for 15 plus wins every year with an ERA at 3.50 or under.

If the Red Sox had 5 of him they would win the world series this year.  I know he might not be an "ace" but he is obviously a very good pitcher.  The fact that you get so angry when he pitches well is a bit odd.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hats off to Jon Lester : It is a free World, but isn't life too short to interact with that cat? When park adjusted and opponents' quality is factored in, Lester is ranked between 25th and 30th amongst all pitchers in MLB for 2012.  
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Tom - Yeah, maybe life is too short to deal with it.  Good point and good stat, thank you.  I just find it frustrating that when enough people beat the same false drum others start to march along.  For instance ...

[QUOTE]Lester pitched great and you know what-HE DAMN WELL NEEDED TO..after not throwing so great for a long period of time.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Danny - Here's the log of Lester's 8 starts in 2012.  Where is the long period of time during which he was not so great?

IP ER H BB
    9.0 1 8 0
    5.0 1 6 1
    6.0 3 5 3
    7.0 0 5 1
    7.0 5 6 4
    2.0 7 8 4
    8.0 3 3 2
    7.0 1 6 3

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I would love to say this was because of Bobby V's managing, but in fact it's because Lester is a heckuva pitcher when he is on.  Hats off to Jon--indeed.