Have you considered staying away from Fenway Park?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Have you considered staying away from Fenway Park?

I haven't been to Fenway since 1978.  I have my tickets for August 14.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: Have you considered staying away from Fenway Park?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have you considered staying away from Fenway Park? : This is an annual exercise.  Every time someone complains about getting gouged, I list a couple of the most recent sales, and they disappear. Sunday 5/13 $49/2 (less than face) $42/4, though deep in the bleachers $66/2 v the NYY (obstructed) If people don't want to go, that's fine.  But these prices won't bankrupt you.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Another good alternative is the "Futures at Fenway'.It's a double header for single admission.Watch the PawSox and Salem each play a game.Tickets start at $5.00 and the most expensive seats are $30.00 each for the Pavillon Club

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ticketing/futures_at_fenway.jsp

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I have satellite, so I financially support the team? Ok. I bought diamond jewelry before, I must be supporting the blood diamond trade. I must be ok with how the governemt is going too because I pay taxes. Weak argument. If, however, I got satelite solely to watch the Sox, you'd be right. That is not the case though.

Who's he thrown under the bus? Well, if you want to ignore Tito (and that's hard to do considering the hammering they were taking for the joke of a press confrerence, and the timing of the pills article...who else leaked it/made it up?), there is still the Crawford signing. The one Henry OK'd at 7/142, then goes on the radio saying he didn't agree with it. Which is it? Either take the advice of your baseball people, and back them, or be honest. He was either throwing Theo and baseball ops under the bus, or is a liar. Either way.

Building new rows - so you're ok with the fact that those fans, who had to work their way up to the fron, probably over more than a generation of holding the tickets suddenly get their seats devalued, however minorly, to accomodate Mr. Big Shot. You may be ok with that, I'm definitely not.

He spent millions to fix up Fenway...and passed that cost straight on down to the fans. $100 bricks? Really? What a scam to get people to repave the sidewalk. I still don't know how they got the right to close a public street on game days either, again, for their benefit.

Ace Ticket doesn't effect ticket prices? Supply and demand anyone? If there is limited supply from the box office, those prices will never go down, and will, in fact, continue to rise steadily. I'm aware of the Yankee ticket prices. Are you aware they had to cut some in half because of the ol' supply and demand? They also have a billion dollar NEW stadium, not a few (tens of) million face-lifted old one.

Did someone really just compare baseball fandom to welfare? Really? If that was the case, where to I apply for Section 8 seating? HUD?

He HAS turned the team into a marketing machine. How many alternate color hats and jerseys? They reintroduced the hanging Sox. They sell EVERYTHING. And stole the hallowed ballpark name and tagged it to a Nascar team. Marketing all over the place.

They put themselves in this financial mess, and stopped spending all at once and left a team with some serious holes. Nobody told them to hand out dumb contracts to: Beckett, Crawford, Lackey, Jenks, Cameron, etc etc and on down the line. They decided that in their own computer generated wisdom, now the team is suffering for it. Ellsbury will leave because of it.

Two things are obvious:

1) Nothing short of Henry giving tickets away for a year will change my opinion of him.

2) I see nothing that will change supporters feeling about him. They won a ring under his ownership, so he can obviously do no wrong.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle; He's greedier and more self serving that you think, and less so than I think. Our points have been made, no minds are getting changed. We both think the other is being ignorant and foolish. We're agruing in circles over multiple threads. I hate when other people do it, so time to stop my hypocrisy.

The truth will become obvious over the next few years, and I guess we'll see where we're at.
    Let's just leave it at that

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

6-9
    My crack about welfare mom was uncalled for and I apologize. 

I don't totally disagree with most of what you said, most especially the parts about throwing people under a bus and how JH has exploited the dedication of the fans.

Apparently I'm just more cynical about "how business is conducted" than you are.  I've actually come to expect to be treated poorly and taken advantage of so it didn't bother me as much as it bothers you.  It's a sad commentary, both on me and on how business is done.     

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

This Dragon poster should be put onto ignore. What a 24 / 7 whiner about everything. I'd much rather read posts from the reasonable, non-troll Yankee fans on the forum. Whether dragon man is a closet Yankee fan, a chronic Red Sox malcontent, or just a lonely man wanting attention is up to your judgement. My mind is made up. He goes onto Ignore.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i see pike is back spreading his manure everywhere...time to ignore his latest incarnation:  

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from doticus. Show doticus's posts

I live in Tampa.  My nearest MLB park is Tropicana.  Tropicana is very possibly the most depressing baseball venue I have ever seen.  It is concrete.  It is ugly.  The fans have cowbells.  The traffic is terrible.  The staff are rude to fans of other teams (not only Red Sox and Yankees, but even Blue Jays?).  I leave at 5pm to see a 7pm game and get back home around 11pm if I am lucky.  So my travel time is generally about as long as the time I spend going to the baseball game.

Give me a nice night at Fenway any day with the option to take public transportation or even to walk (I could do that when I lived in Cambridge).  That is how I prefer baseball.  And I'm glad to say that I will get to go to Fenway in August this year.

All this being said, had Lackey been in the rotation this year, I would have been seriously tempted to boycott.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Let the OWS crowd stay away!

Keeps the bathrooms cleaner!!!!!

Come on fellas!   Lighten up!

100th year!  Sure!  The sky high prices are brutal!  Seats are scrunched!  Who cares!  When I go for that 1 or 2 games a year........  It's an experience!  Feel like a kid again!

Come on now!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Actually I glad you brought this subject up. We do one family game each year. Its a family tradition now in its 25th year. We use to do a weekend, but the cost is way too much now to do that. 

We use to be big time Sox fans, like major, but thats over. The last couple of years I feel the teams driven us away. The sox have moved to the background in our family sports consumption. Too costly and low return on the investment. The team doesn't seem to be deicated to winning. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]6-9 My crack about welfare mom was uncalled for and I apologize.  I don't totally disagree with most of what you said, most especially the parts about throwing people under a bus and how JH has exploited the dedication of the fans.   Apparently I'm just more cynical about "how business is conducted" than you are.  I've actually come to expect to be treated poorly and taken advantage of so it didn't bother me as much as it bothers you.  It's a sad commentary, both on me and on how business is done.     
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

No worries. Sox fans are passionate, that's what makes us the best!

I, sadly, also expect to be taken advantage of, but that doesn't temper my frustration about it. There's too much "that's the way it is I guess" mentality. Only we, as fans, can really change anything.

Wouldn't it be awesome if a million of us could form a Fan's Union? Baseball has moved away from caring about the rank and file fans, and cater too much to the rich and business side of it. That is NOT how baseball became America's Pasttime. And I realize it's not just Boston, but Boston is the team that's in my DNA.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Unfortunately 2012, to the Boston Red Sox management and many of their fans, is about the park celebrating it's 100th season.

It is my belief that Sox ownership has decided to market the centennial season of the ballpark rather than the product that plays in it and there are enough pink-hatters and newbie fans that eat this up for them.

I will go to a game or two this year to watch the ballclub, not to engage in the 100th year hoopla or sing Sweet Caroline in the 8th inning...

...opening day could be interesting...if there are true Red Sox fans attending it will Beckett get a few cuffaws when his name is announced, or when he gives up his first dinger of the game to someone like Longoria?

I'm still waiting for the sign or fan chanting..Go Fenway Park...that will complete this pathetic cycle.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]I haven't been there since about 1991. I hate going into the city, the traffic, the parking, and yes the prices are steep and getting steeper. It's so much easier to watch the game from my happy country home. And I don't have to wait in line for food or the bathroom. But, yes I see your point. Look at the contracts for Cecil Fielder, Albert Pujols, Braun and Votto. It's the same everywhere. We can't lay this all in Henry's lap.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

And though there is a quaint notion that if we stop supporting the team  they'll "see the light and change their ways", it is never going to happen because for everyone like Zilla who has come to a very sensible decision that high def tv and close proximity to a clean comfortable bathroom and snacks/beverages bought at reasonable prices, there are 1000 other people who will pay "for the experience of Fenway Park".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Unfortunately 2012, to the Boston Red Sox management and many of their fans, is about the park celebrating it's 100th season. It is my belief that Sox ownership has decided to market the centennial season of the ballpark rather than the product that plays in it and there are enough pink-hatters and newbie fans that eat this up for them. I will go to a game or two this year to watch the ballclub, not to engage in the 100th year hoopla or sing Sweet Caroline in the 8th inning... ...opening day could be interesting...if there are true Red Sox fans attending it will Beckett get a few cuffaws when his name is announced, or when he gives up his first dinger of the game to someone like Longoria? I'm still waiting for the sign or fan chanting..Go Fenway Park...that will complete this pathetic cycle.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

Why is so wrong that there is a 100th Anniversary Celebration for Fenway Park? I would think as Red Sox fans who love Fenway, we'd want to celebrate it.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Born in Winthrop, MA, but stayed just six months.  Later listened to Sox games from W. Springfield with Curt Gowdy broadcasting.  Hence, a long time fan.  But I haven't lived in MA since 1954. 

I recently (last 3 years or so) attened to games at Fenway and feel strongly that it's one of the worst ballparks in America in terms of sight lines.  So my hat's off to the loyal fans sitting in the right field box seats and seeing so little. 

Attendance stays up because of the terrific marketing by the FO, plus consistently fielding competitive teams, plus the seating limit of around 34,000, which almost guarantees that even games against weak teams will be sold out and the Sox annual attendance will be close to 3 million. 

Living in Virginia I do pay to see the Sox games on verizon fios and on mlb.com and consider it to be worth it. 

Detroit is a good team and caught the Sox when the bullpen wasn't quite ready.  No excuses for Beckett and Buchholz, neither of whom was anywhere near ready.  Buchholz had a small excuse, having not pitched in quite awhile, but nothing excuses Beckett. 

Last night was a terrific game, especially for Doubront, Atkinson, Aceves, and Pedroia, who was huge. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Figment. Show Figment's posts

Between tickets and parking it is just as easy to stay home and watch or go to the local sports bar.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtap66. Show jtap66's posts

Threads like this remind me of the where the stereotype of Sox fans as incessant whiners comes from.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Born in Winthrop, MA, but stayed just six months.  Later listened to Sox games from W. Springfield with Curt Gowdy broadcasting.  Hence, a long time fan.  But I haven't lived in MA since 1954.  I recently (last 3 years or so) attened to games at Fenway and feel strongly that it's one of the worst ballparks in America in terms of sight lines.  So my hat's off to the loyal fans sitting in the right field box seats and seeing so little.  Attendance stays up because of the terrific marketing by the FO, plus consistently fielding competitive teams, plus the seating limit of around 34,000, which almost guarantees that even games against weak teams will be sold out and the Sox annual attendance will be close to 3 million.  Living in Virginia I do pay to see the Sox games on verizon fios and on mlb.com and consider it to be worth it.  Detroit is a good team and caught the Sox when the bullpen wasn't quite ready.  No excuses for Beckett and Buchholz, neither of whom was anywhere near ready.  Buchholz had a small excuse, having not pitched in quite awhile, but nothing excuses Beckett.  Last night was a terrific game, especially for Doubront, Atkinson, Aceves, and Pedroia, who was huge. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

You're right about sight lines, which is why I'm not totally against a new ballpark as much as I love Fenway and would hate to seem them leave. But my conditions for a new park would be that it stays in the Fenway area and that the dimensions with the Green Monster stay the same.

Capacity is up to 37,000 or so now after additions of the past decade. I don't know that I would say attendance is up because of marketing. I think the team has done things to try to attract fans and be fan friendly -- despite what critics say -- but the love of the Sox and the fact that they've been so competitive (2 W.S. Titles) is the big reason. If the team really went into the toilet on the field this year, I think attendance would go down.

What the small park does is keep average ticket prices up. On the first page of the game thread, I responded to the post about average ticket prices and compared the Sox with Arizona, which is supposed to be the lowest. If you compare similar seats, ticket prices are comparable. But Arizona seats 11,000 more fans, which translates into seats Fenwy doesn't have and those seats are cheap nosebleed seats.

That's what gets me about the critics of Sox ticket prices. If you want to sit in a nice box seat right behind hope plate, you're paying $135 in Fenway and in Arizona. In fact, depending on the opponent, you might be paying more in Arizona.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have you considered staying away from Fenway Park? : This post is totally ridiculous.  Who have they thrown under the bus. You're assuming it was ownership, but this is an example of you simply wanting to believe whatever you want just to fit your own preconceived opinions and bias. If you read Hohler's story, it's very likely the source was someone in the clubhouse.  So who else in 10 years have they supposedly thrown under the bus to even show it's some kind of pattern? Now you get even more absurd. You're ripping him for building two rows of seats for him and his pals. So kicking out long-time season ticket holders was a better option? Incredible. The guy owns the team and spent hundreds of millions of dollars. He should be able to sit where he wants. So instead of kicking out the fans -- you would have blasted him mercilessly for that -- he spent money for his own seats. That's bad? Doesn't care about the fans? He spent millions to fix up Fenway to make it better for the fans after the Harrington regime allowed the park to turn into a dump. He made game day in front of Fenway an event, after the Harrington-Duquette regime tried to kick out vendor.  If you want an example of a regime that cared nothing for the fans, you need to look no further than the Harrington-Duke debacle. What an embarrassment to fans and the city. His so-called holy alliance with Ace Ticket has nothing to do with high prices. The prices would be high regardless. Have you seen the prices of Yankees tickets. Do you live in a cave -- tickets for entertainment are steep everywhere and with a 37,000-seat ballpark that limits supply to go along with incredibly high demand because his teams have consistently been competitive, the prices are going to be high. It's called SUPPLY and DEMAND. Ever hear of it? If you want cheap tickets, I'll find Marty McFly's time machine and you can go back to the early 1960s when they couldn't give tickets away. You can watch crp teams play and have the entire frikin park to yourself. Henry has shown to be a good businesman. Fans today are whining because the Sox didn't spend more over the offseason despite the fact that their payroll will wind up around $180 million or more, yet you have posters complaining about him turning the Sox into a marketing machine and merchandising brand. So we want him to spend money like the Yankees yet we don't want him to get the revenue needed to compete. This ownership group didn't handle things that well at the end of last season. But when you take in everything that they have done in the 10 years they've had the team, they've been great owners. If you're complaining about them, what in the world do you want from an ownership group.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I never really had a problem with Sox ownership dating back to 1967. The team more or less won in 86, probably would have won in 78 hadn't for Piniella's luck, certainly should have won in 03 due to manager trust issues. The Sox won for real in 04 and 07 and for that Henry/Lucchinno can take the credit. The Sox have been mostly competitive in a number of those seasons between 67 and now. Division pennants, playoff wild cards. Many blamed Jacobs and called him a Scrooge for all the years the B's went without a Cup. Lo and behold, he changed his ways (finally) and the B's won a Cup. I can call ownership or the front office 7,000 names and be right, and I still respect the fact that the current regime still won 2 WS titles in 10 years. As for staying away from Fenway? I wish I could go every night and live 3,000 miles away now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

I have considered it and will continue to stay away from fenway.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]Born in Winthrop, MA, but stayed just six months.  Later listened to Sox games from W. Springfield with Curt Gowdy broadcasting.  Hence, a long time fan.  But I haven't lived in MA since 1954.  I recently (last 3 years or so) attened to games at Fenway and feel strongly that it's one of the worst ballparks in America in terms of sight lines.  So my hat's off to the loyal fans sitting in the right field box seats and seeing so little.  Attendance stays up because of the terrific marketing by the FO, plus consistently fielding competitive teams, plus the seating limit of around 34,000, which almost guarantees that even games against weak teams will be sold out and the Sox annual attendance will be close to 3 million.  Living in Virginia I do pay to see the Sox games on verizon fios and on mlb.com and consider it to be worth it.  Detroit is a good team and caught the Sox when the bullpen wasn't quite ready.  No excuses for Beckett and Buchholz, neither of whom was anywhere near ready.  Buchholz had a small excuse, having not pitched in quite awhile, but nothing excuses Beckett.  Last night was a terrific game, especially for Doubront, Atkinson, Aceves, and Pedroia, who was huge. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have you considered staying away from Fenway Park? : I never really had a problem with Sox ownership dating back to 1967. The team more or less won in 86, probably would have won in 78 hadn't for Piniella's luck, certainly should have won in 03 due to manager trust issues. The Sox won for real in 04 and 07 and for that Henry/Lucchinno can take the credit. The Sox have been mostly competitive in a number of those seasons between 67 and now. Division pennants, playoff wild cards. Many blamed Jacobs and called him a Scrooge for all the years the B's went without a Cup. Lo and behold, he changed his ways (finally) and the B's won a Cup. I can call ownership or the front office 7,000 names and be right, and I still respect the fact that the current regime still won 2 WS titles in 10 years. As for staying away from Fenway? I wish I could go every night and live 3,000 miles away now.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

The Boston ownerships tht I've had problems with were (no particular order):

1. Bruins -- Jacobs regime until post lockout. I've been vocal on that, but to give credit where it's due, once  there was a cap, he's allowed the GMs to spend to the cap.

2. Celtics -- John Brown regime.

3. Patriots -- Billy Sullivan, only because he always operated on a shoe string budget. I would mention Victor Kiam, who was a joke but he didn't own the team long enough to get too worked up.

4. Red Sox -- Jean Yawkey Regime, with Haywood Sullivan and when Harrington ran things. Firing Dick O'Connell ruined the 1970s teams at the end of the decade and set back the franchise. And when Harrington took over and he and Duquette ran things -- they let Fenway go to pot and created an team atmosphere in the front office that made the Soviet Politbure look open.

I never can understand the criticism of the Henry Regime. What do we want from an ownerhips group.

-- We don't want meddling owners. Henry put a baseball guy Lucchino to run the team, and put an enterainment guy (Werner) on the marketing side. Henry doesn't meddle like a George Steinbrenner, Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones, etc.

-- He's done things to try to attract all fans, casual fans and the hardcore. As much as hardcore fans might resent the casual fans, if the casual fans didn't spend the money, the Sox wouldn't have the revenue to compete. And it's a bit selfish for the hardcore fans when they complain about allowing others into the tent.

-- Henry has fixed up Fenway. Isn't that a good thing?

-- And under this regime, the team has spent on payroll. That they haven't always spent wisely is more on the GM than owership, but still -- it happens in all sports. If he was being cheap with payroll, he'd deserve criticsim. To expect unlimited spending is ridiculous.

And if people are going to complain about prices -- like I've posted before, it's like that everywhere. Like I posted earlier, the prices for similar good seats in Arizona are the same as Boston. As for all the other marketing things that are for sale -- coffee table book on Fenway, for example, don't buy it if you don't like it. That many of these things keep selling shows the demand is there.

So what to critics expect from an ownership group that a different owner would give? For all the complaints by some, I've never heard this question answered.