Heck of a day for Shoppach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Heck of a day for Shoppach

3-3 with a HBP and 2 RBI and (at least) 2 runs.

Shoppach wasting no time putting up a fight against my call for Lava (in place of Shoppach).

Well done sir!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Re: Heck of a day for Shoppach

Josh has found his new personal catcher?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

ok, 3-4.  Never thought he'd get that extra AB, but still a crazy game for him.  Can't wait to see Beckett's next start.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

An extra year of Lava will hopefully be way more valuable, than his superiority over Shoppach until he can be called up.

Shoppach had an .860 OPS 2009 - 2011 vs LHP.

Lava has .647 OPS one week in, the clamoring for his early arrival should now be quelled.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Heck of a day for Shoppach:
    [QUOTE]An extra year of Lava will hopefully be way more valuable, than his superiority over Shoppach until he can be called up. Shoppach had an  .860 OPS 2009 - 2011 vs LHP. Lava has .647 OPS one week in, the clamoring for his early arrival should now be quelled.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm just used to Tito, but I'm doubtful that a pure platoon will happen.  Also, part of the reason for his success vs lefties is because he's played against righties to keep his timing in the box.  This is why pure platoons rarely work out as well as they look like they should.

I'd agree about the extra year of Lava being worth more, but we aren't talking about keeping Lava in the minors 20 days or so, we're talking ~2 months because of his service time from last year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

he just needs to learn how to run the bases!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Shoppach was serendipidous on his base running twice and the 3rd base coach would have been tarred and feathered if he were out at home. Not much ammunition for the normal forum trolls and cynics today but there is always tomorrow. Hang in there trolls.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]he just needs to learn how to run the bases!!
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Just takes practice J-Bay!  Only 293 hits in his 7ish year career (mostly as a backup), he hasn't had much practice.  Hopefully todays performance gets him going for a while.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Nice to see Shoppach have a good game offensively. It's a long season and we'll need contributions like this along the way.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Shoppach has always done very well vs LHPs. If he is limited to that role almost exclusively, he should have some nice numbers.

Now, if Salty can keep up his end of the bargain vs righties...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Shoppach has always done very well vs LHPs. If he is limited to that role almost exclusively, he should have some nice numbers. Now, if Salty can keep up his end of the bargain vs righties...
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Let me preface this by saying that I would be very happy with a .788 OPS from our backup catcher.  Now with that out of the way....

I don't think Shoppach is as good for a pure platoon as you think.  He used to be lights out versus LHP's, and OPS above .950 5 straight years vs. LHP's.  That all stopped in 2010 and the decline continued in 2011 (down to .788).

What was the difference?  Consistent playing time.  Shoppach needs to play more often to keep his timing at the plate, with a starter like Salty, there isn't anything wrong with that.  However, the Sox aren't going to face 60+ lefty starters, so Shoppach (or a 3rd catcher) will need to make some starts against RHP's unless the goal is to have Salty break down again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Heck of a day for Shoppach : Let me preface this by saying that I would be very happy with a .788 OPS from our backup catcher.  Now with that out of the way.... I don't think Shoppach is as good for a pure platoon as you think.  He used to be lights out versus LHP's, and OPS above .950 5 straight years vs. LHP's.  That all stopped in 2010 and the decline continued in 2011 (down to .788). What was the difference?  Consistent playing time.  Shoppach needs to play more often to keep his timing at the plate, with a starter like Salty, there isn't anything wrong with that.  However, the Sox aren't going to face 60+ lefty starters, so Shoppach (or a 3rd catcher) will need to make some starts against RHP's unless the goal is to have Salty break down again.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

I believe Valentine will give Shoppach plenty of playing time. It's his MO to utilize the entire roster and do lots of substituting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Heck of a day for Shoppach : Let me preface this by saying that I would be very happy with a .788 OPS from our backup catcher.  Now with that out of the way.... I don't think Shoppach is as good for a pure platoon as you think.  He used to be lights out versus LHP's, and OPS above .950 5 straight years vs. LHP's.  That all stopped in 2010 and the decline continued in 2011 (down to .788). What was the difference?  Consistent playing time.  Shoppach needs to play more often to keep his timing at the plate, with a starter like Salty, there isn't anything wrong with that.  However, the Sox aren't going to face 60+ lefty starters, so Shoppach (or a 3rd catcher) will need to make some starts against RHP's unless the goal is to have Salty break down again.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Excellent point, JB. I'd be happy with .788 or even .725 from the back-up catcher. That's one thing I found so odd about all the VTek bashing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Heck of a day for Shoppach : I believe Valentine will give Shoppach plenty of playing time. It's his MO to utilize the entire roster and do lots of substituting.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

Well, if we face as many LH'd starting pitchers as last year, he'll see plenty of action (55 LH'd starters last year). He may also get some PH opportunities late in games to keep him "fresh".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Heck of a day for Shoppach : Excellent point, JB. I'd be happy with .788 or even .725 from the back-up catcher. That's one thing I found so odd about all the VTek bashing.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

You and me both.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc686. Show jc686's posts

He's a cheater for leaning int a ptich that was barely inside.  Sorry, that's 
    the truth.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Tito had used a L/R platoon instead of the personal caddy platoon, VTek would have had much better offensive numbers... 
    better than the best back-up numbers already!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

You make a good point JB about the difficulty of staying sharp.  

Which is the best option:

Trade Salty - only two MLB catchers in system, and both RHH.

Trade Shoppach - depth problem again if injury occurs. 

I would still contend that over the next 11 or so weeks that Lava "needs" to stay in AAA, Shopach will do enough in his ~3 starts a week.  For ~ 33 games is it worth losing the current depth.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I see Shoppach getting about 50-55 starts this year, unless he gets injured.

I think Papi's numbers vs LHPs need to be monitored, and if he starts taking a nosedive, we could consider using Lava at DH vs some or most LHPs as Shoppach catches, and Lava vs RHPs at catcher. (Assuming Salty is traded or sent to AAA.)

There certainly would be a depth issue at catcher if we traded Salty and someone got hurt, but if Salty keeps hitting poorly, how much worse can you get considering his defense and game-calling issues already?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m