HELLO! THEO...GET A NEW CATCHER!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

HELLO! THEO...GET A NEW CATCHER!

I'm tired of watching Salty ground the ball through the right side of the infield if he is lucky enough to get a hit. He has hit the wall 3 times and cranked one or 2 balls to CF. Still hitting around .200 with little pop. He's slugging .267 for the year so far guys. Zero HR. Hitting .143 in his last 10 games. Look at his numbers. He has never hit well at the mlb level and every indicator is pointing to nowhere.

Remember Hermida? Does anyone think Salty is even going to approach that bat, which got DFAed mid year. Look at this guys swing. He doesn't even come close to squaring up the ball in most AB. Almost 1/3 of his AB have been strikeouts.  I think at least 1/3 of his hits have been grounders through the 1st base hole when the 1st baseman is holding the runner.

I saw a little of the Cardinals Reds game tonight. Every time I see Yadier Molina catch I start yelling "Get Him". What a difference a guy like him would make with this team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: HELLO! THEO...GET A NEW CATCHER!

Boom, I hear you loud and clear, but our catchers have been doing a tiny bit better of late:

Salty  8/36 (with 3- 2Bs) His hit in the 7th tonight got the 3 run inning goin. 
    VTek  7/29 (with 3- 2Bs)

15/65 .231

Undecided

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Salty's numbers with the pitching staff aren't good. But it's just too early to get a real good read. I hope the kid makes it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

No one wants him to make it more than I do but the data sample is significant over the past several years. The Rangers traded him for next to nothing, basically giving up on him even though they are not loaded with catching talent. All the data is pointing in a bad direction, for several years now. A lot of times catchers take longer to develop but I think we make a move at catcher within weeks. If we were not near the luxury tax threshold, the move would have been done already IMO.

I think he was worth the trade risk but we cannot count on this guy much longer. He's a project with a less than 50/50 chance of making it. Maybe the Sox think the lineup is so good that they can roll the dice with him all year. He would be a lot of value if they could build him into an average catching talent. 
    I hope he comes around but right now he looks like a .230 hitter at best to me, with less than average pop. Early in his career no one looked at him that way but that is what he looks like to me. A back up catcher at best.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Thankfully the Red Sox didn't trade some of their best prospects two years ago when many here were chanting "Get Salty Now,"....  anyhow he made a couple of good blocks tonight.  Clay was terrific.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Remember Andy Marte a power hitting 3rd baseman we traded Renteria for 6 years ago rom the Atlanta Braves. He is with his third team and cannot hit his weight. An overhyped Atlanta Brave prospect.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He just turned 26 days ago and only has only about a season and a half's worth of PAs.

VTek played his first full ML season at age 27.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I was psyched to get Marte and ticked when we traded him so quickly - I was wrong.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Salty had good stuff, tonight. Fortunately, Varitek was sitting.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Catchers often due take longer to develop because they have so much to learn, so there's still a chance Salty turns out OK. 

Having said that, I still think it was a mistake to "hope" a guy pans out at one of the most important positions on the field when you have a team that's built to win now.

And it doesn't help to see that Russell Martin has gotten off to such a hot start with the bat

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

The average American League catcher this season has hit .211 with a .290 on-base percentage and .359 slugging percentage.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

After last nights "Wild Pitch" when he couldn't even block the freaking ball, WE NEED A #1 CATCHER!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i dont know what game you were waqtching last nite but Salty was being tested on almost every pitch by a guy who was throwing 98 in the dirt...if that were Varitek he wouldve had 4 wild pitches/passed balls

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I THOUGHT HE DID A GOOD JOB LAST NIGHT.  I DO SEE WHAT THEO SEE'S..... IT TAKES TIME.  HE DID A GOOD JOB BLOCKING THE PLATE LAST NIGHT.......  BY THE END OF JUNE, WE WILL KNOW A LOT MORE !!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

No one wants him to make it more than I do but the data sample is significant over the past several years. The Rangers traded him for next to nothing, basically giving up on him even though they are not loaded with catching talent. All the data is pointing in a bad direction, for several years now.

I was never a Salty fan back when people were screaming for Theo to trade for him way back when.

And I wanted the RS to sign Martin and give Salty 3 months of AAA time.

Having said that, the current replacements available at catcher might not provide a substantial marginal benefit over what we have now.

What i see now is that we play Tek/Salty until Tek's legs fall off, DL him late July, and trade for someone whose talent level is the opposite of whatever Salty is at the time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

John Buck

As for Martin things look good at the moment, but he comes with a history of self-inflicted demise. My guess is the distractions came in the blonde, brunette, and redhead variety.  Watch this space:

Russell Martin blames 'distractions' for his poor play | HardballTalk

18 Jan 2011 ... Russell Martin has a good explanation for why he isn't any good anymore, and it's not going to be very comforting to Dodgers fans. 

Asked about the distractions, he said, "there are some things that you keep for yourself, and those distractions are personal."

Time for Russell Martin's annual excuse for why his play with the ...

17 Jan 2011 ... It wasn't that Russell Martin was too thin, or too heavy; ... He must have been distracted when he forgot how to slide into home plate.

Russell Martin Blames Distractions, Poor Training as Reasons for ...

16 Jan 2011 ...Via Shi Davidi of the Canadian Press : "'Probably some frustrations, probably not training as hard as I should have in some ways,'

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

I need to be more patient!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Few thoughts.

If folks insist on adding up the results of the pitchers and apply those to the catcher I wish that we could take the first week of the season and remove it from the sample sets. The pitchers stunk it up IMHO and Johnny Bench wasn't saving them.

Tom UK hit the nail on the head. There isn't very much offense coming from the catcher's position in the league right now, so if the beef is offense that isn't going to easy to fix.

Salty certainly seems to be doing OK with most of the pitchers. Beckett and Tek do appear to have a connection and that isn't all that bizarre. Maddox and Carlton had their favorite catchers in their day too. Now the flip side of this IMO is that in spite of the fact that Tek caught his no hitter as rookie emergency call-up in 2007, Buch and Tek really don't click. Both pitchers in a pinch can throw to other catcher but if we have two why?

I do like Tek catching Dice K because I believe his tenure as a MLB player gives him more cache with Dice K who at moments needs to be dragged into being aggressive. Lackey is a train wreck right now with what appear to be problems that extend beyond the white lines. Lester seems to be totally catcher neutral. 

At any rate I think this is what it is for now. In the longer term Salty is going to need to become a better hitter if in fact Inglesias is in fact the SS of the future or the RS will have a NL line-up with relatively dead spots at 8-9.

But for the moment I personally am more concerned about the BP and Crawford and Drew getting on track.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

It would appear Clay is all Cy Young with any catcher other than Tek.... go figure.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I am going to preach patience here. 

Sometime in a month or month and a half, the picture will be much clearer.  It may be that the solution comes from within, and maybe a third catcher is added to the roster. 

Certanily by then it will be clearer which is the bigger need:  relief help, 5th starter, or catcher.  And it will much clearer which, if any, of these needs can be filled from within.  Trades will be much easier to reach, as well, as teams will know better what they need to see them through the remainder of the season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

easier said, than done.  Who do you get? Who will be available?  not much out there right now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

Hes hitting better, blocking better, and holding runners better (still god awful at throwing them out) hes getting better and by mid june well know if we have our guy or if we need to go to the minors. In my opinion no need to shop with so much depth in the Farm at C

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Tom UK hit the nail on the head. There isn't very much offense coming from the catcher's position in the league right now, so if the beef is offense that isn't going to easy to fix.

The average AL catcher is only hitting .219/.288/.356/.644.  If you think about trading for a guy just a little below average, how much of an improvement will he be?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

katz, not only are there not many good hitting catchers in MLB anymore, some of the ones that are, do not call good games or play defense too well.

It's the defense and game calling skills that worry more than getting a .250+ BA out of the catching position.  

This is a bad hitter's year thus far, but have a look at the offensive catching numbers so far...

First, you have to go down to 80 PAs to get a list of 29 catchers in MLB, so that sould tell you one thing about the state of catchers in MLB today.

The 10th best catcher has a .757 OPS
    15th best is at .736
    20th .709
    25th .606
    Salty is 29th at .516

My guess is that some of the catchers on the top of the list will "fall back to earth" over a long season and Salty/VTek will end up at about 20th combined on offense. It's the defense and game-calling that worries me most.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'm a fan so I expect more now and for that I won't apologize.Smile