Hey, Hey, Hey, It's Maaaaaaat Aaaaaaalbers!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

Hey, Hey, Hey, It's Maaaaaaat Aaaaaaalbers!

While Wheeler and Jenks have disappointed so far, this guy is stepping into the role quite nicely.  Not only are his numbers good (1.11 WHIP, .142 ERA, 12 K's in 12.2 innings), but he's a strong guy who can clock a lot of innings and save some wear and tear on the entire staff.  Granted, this is only a small sample and I don't expect these numbers to hold, but he looks like he's secured a spot in the pen and will force Wheeler and Jenks to have to earn their way back into the roles they were slated for.

Give it up for Matt!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Hey, Hey, Hey, It's Maaaaaaat Aaaaaaalbers!

Always enjoyed that Cosby cartoon. Wecome back.
    Albers has been the surprise to off-set Jenks/Wheeler...to a point.

My only knock against Albers is his inability to field his position. He looks like a high-school pitcher in that regard.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bosoxl94l. Show Bosoxl94l's posts

I noticed that too. Very good Harness.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe Wake could give him some pointers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

The first thing my wife said when he was brought into a game in April;

Did he just say guy's name is "Fat Albert??!!"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Los, Hope you dont mind this, seemed like a good place to post it, same subject type relief pitching. What is up with Aceves, I was not aware he is a hot head and has problems doing whats asked of him. He has been pitching well so no complaints there.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/05/after_balk_red.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

In Response to Re: Hey, Hey, Hey, It's Maaaaaaat Aaaaaaalbers!:
    [QUOTE]Los, Hope you dont mind this, seemed like a good place to post it, same subject type relief pitching. What is up with Aceves, I was not aware he is a hot head and has problems doing whats asked of him. He has been pitching well so no complaints there. http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/05/after_balk_red.html
    Posted by promise4you[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware of Aceves' proclivities either, but I now it seems to make sense that the Yankees didn't stay with him in spite of decent past performance.  In addition to the recovery from surgery, it must be part the reason he was available.  Still, the Red Sox seemed to weather Julian Tavares who had some problematic behaviors.  Then again, Julian was getting up there in years and may have mellowed out a bit by then. 

I hope the Sox can work with him.  At some point, one the starters is bound to go down for awhile, and Aceves could play an important role, especially if Wake doesn't get on roll.  Along with Albers, he is also good replacement insurance if Wheeler and Jenks don't get back on track. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hey, Hey, Hey, It's Maaaaaaat Aaaaaaalbers! : I wasn't aware of Aceves' proclivities either, but I now it seems to make sense that the Yankees didn't stay with him in spite of decent past performance.  In addition to the recovery from surgery, it must be part the reason he was available.  Still, the Red Sox seemed to weather Julian Tavares who had some problematic behaviors.  Then again, Julian was getting up there in years and may have mellowed out a bit by then.  I hope the Sox can work with him.  At some point, one the starters is bound to go down for awhile, and Aceves could play an important role, especially if Wake doesn't get on roll.  Along with Albers, he is also good replacement insurance if Wheeler and Jenks don't get back on track. 
    Posted by losmediasrojas[/QUOTE]

He obviously has good stuff. Wants the ball and is scared of no one (from what the article says) I like guys like this, but they need to remember team first! Barkley (another sport but) was a hot head like this but he was always team first. Lets hope he learns quick, I dont think the verterans will tolerate this too long. We dont need a crazy like that guy out in Seattle!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hey, Hey, Hey, It's Maaaaaaat Aaaaaaalbers! : I wasn't aware of Aceves' proclivities either, but I now it seems to make sense that the Yankees didn't stay with him in spite of decent past performance.  In addition to the recovery from surgery, it must be part the reason he was available.  Still, the Red Sox seemed to weather Julian Tavares who had some problematic behaviors.  Then again, Julian was getting up there in years and may have mellowed out a bit by then.  I hope the Sox can work with him.  At some point, one the starters is bound to go down for awhile, and Aceves could play an important role, especially if Wake doesn't get on roll.  Along with Albers, he is also good replacement insurance if Wheeler and Jenks don't get back on track. 
    Posted by losmediasrojas[/QUOTE]

One missed point on my part, you mentioned at sometime needing another starter, Believe Doubront and Miller are lighting it up in AAA, im starting to feel real good about the arms that are sitting in wait. Also Bowden has been lights out. These guys could make us forget some of our recent free agent signings. Miller just needs to work on his walks.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t533&t=p_pbp&pid=453192

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t533&t=p_pbp&pid=476601

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t533&t=p_pbp&pid=467094

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hey, Hey, Hey, It's Maaaaaaat Aaaaaaalbers! : One missed point on my part, you mentioned at sometime needing another starter, Believe Doubront and Miller are lighting it up in AAA, im starting to feel real good about the arms that are sitting in wait. Also Bowden has been lights out. These guys could make us forget some of our recent free agent signings. Miller just needs to work on his walks. http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t533&t=p_pbp&pid=453192 http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t533&t=p_pbp&pid=476601 http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t533&t=p_pbp&pid=467094
    Posted by promise4you[/QUOTE]

Promise, first Id like to sat that Ive enjoyed reading your posts here since ive arrived. Now, I think as far as starters down in AAA goes....Andrew Miller def needs to work more on control before he'll see fenway. Doubront looks like the next one in line. Bowden is now FT in the pen, and I believe this will be his first full season starting in the pen. He has shown to be a solid reliever so far in that role. We have lots of depth in pitching this year whether its starters or relievers. Im glad Rich Hill FINALLY got his shot. hes been lights out since changing his delivery point ( hes now a sidearm pitcher).Matt Albers has earned the 7th inning gig...for now..We all know how middle relief can be. and finally, Aceves. I too didnt realize a slight attitude issue with him. I hope he can keep himself in check and pitch like he can cause I really like the kid..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

If someone could teach our relievers the art of not balking, I'd be happier ...

Albers does seem to be doing well.  Hope it holds.

Aceves ... news to me about him.   I liked Julian Tavares - mostly.  I also liked his last name ... A little town in FL (probably grown past little now) with a number of friends in it.  But Julian still has some explosive moments with us.

With Oki's performance last night ... things are looking better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Nice links Promise. All three are borderline ML pitchers right now.
    The stats are nice, but facing big league hitters over the long haul has a humbling affect.

Aceves may have temperament issues as a starter. I can see how a bad call can set him off. How he's gonna deal with it either comes with maturity - or it becomes a tag on him that can wear on one.

If he had issues in NY, and continues to in Boston, then it's on him to realize it's him...and not them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

South, Yaz, Harness
    We know maybe they are not ready today, but the prospect is high. We also know that tomorrow that can change! Doubrount is a tough kid, don't know hwy, but I think he has the mentality to make the grade. Miller, what can you say class stuff, Im gonna take a look tomorrow at another lefty that held the baseball world in pain for a few years was also about 6'7" and struggled early, you guys guess the name, he had one hell of a career! Mechanics were also a problem for him!
    The other guy, not sure but he has found a way, I like this Bowden kid I think he is a winner, we all need to find our way in life, maybe he has finally found his!
    Damn I personally think this farm is promising! Build from with in and you you know what you have!
     Now speaking of catchers.................. I think we have promise Wink

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Would love to hear The Moons opinion on these kids, he always has valuable wisdod to share!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]Nice links Promise . All three are borderline ML pitchers right now. The stats are nice, but facing big league hitters over the long haul has a humbling affect. Aceves may have temperament issues as a starter. I can see how a bad call can set him off. How he's gonna deal with it either comes with maturity - or it becomes a tag on him that can wear on one. If he had issues in NY, and continues to in Boston, then it's on him to realize it's him ...and not them .
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Great thoughts my friend!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Yikes, Even when Randy was young (at 27 SO/BB 1.5) he did not have as bad a walk to stikeout ratio as Miller. Guess the kid still has a ways to go, but there is promise! Randy ended up between 4-6 SO/BB once he found his mechanics!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Nice job last night, Maaaaaaat.

Great job again, you washed out old, good for nuthin Beckett ....

I wonder where the Red Sox can pick up reclaimation stars like Penny, Coplon and Garcia ....

Heh ....

"SALUTELY GREAT, Josh!!!