Hey Softy...FACE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from daveymo1234. Show daveymo1234's posts

Hey Softy...FACE

My man Adam Kaufamn sums up the 1st month of the 2013 season perfectly...seems like he was speaking directly to the soft headed one!!

The Red Sox – just months removed from a 69-win 2012 season that had even the most passionate fans frustrated to the point of rooting against their favorite and wildly unfocused, dysfunctional team – have the best record in the majors.

Tell me it’s only one month. So was September 2011.

Tell me they haven’t played anyone, then go look at the standings and add up the combined records of the Yankees, Blue Jays, Orioles, Rays, Indians, Royals, A’s and Astros. You know what, this being my first column, I’ll do it for you. Overall, those teams are 103-106. Take out their games against the Sox and they’re 95-88, good for a .519 winning percentage. That may not be playoff-worthy, but it doesn’t stink.

Tell me they were too banged up last year to ever really succeed. While you’re at it, check out how many games David Ortiz, Stephen Drew, John Lackey and Joel Hanrahan have appeared in this season.

The bottom line is, regardless of their opponents, how long it’s lasted or whom they’ve relied upon, the pitch-perfect, offensively-prompt, baggage-free Red Sox of 2013 are getting the job done and setting up a season that virtually no one expected. And, somehow, they’re making a squad with a payroll north of $150M look like a bunch of blue-collar Trot Nixons, just like Larry Lucchino wanted when he called them “scrappy underdogs” and we tried not to do a spit-take.

When this Red Sox team was assembled, I’ll be the first to admit, I wasn’t impressed. The team hired a manager in John Farrell with as much success leading the Blue Jays as Seth Rogen has playing a superhero. Their approach in free agency seemed to be, “He’s a nice guy with a couple decent seasons! Let’s overpay to get him here!”

My gut feeling entering spring training: 80 wins. Maybe 85. If everything went right, 90. I’d bought into the Jays. Well, after 18 wins in April, I feel dumb.

The Red Sox matched their best April wins total in franchise history – also done in 1998 and 2003 – and came within a few outs of standing alone, just as they do at the top of the American League East today. In fact, the Sox have been first or tied for that spot since the season began, a feat they'd never before achieved at this stage of the year.

There are a number of different reasons for this team’s success on the field. They rank in baseball’s top 5 in runs (135, 4th), on-base percentage (.347, 3d), slugging percentage (.446, 3d), batting average (.271, 3d), walks (97, 3d) and – how about this! – stolen bases (22, 2d).

Their pitching has been the catalyst, led by Clay Buchholz, Jon Lester (let’s just go ahead and forget about last night), Ryan Dempster and a pretty reliably entertaining bullpen, no individual with more flair than Koji Uehara and his Borat-esque love for the high-five. As a staff, the arms have held opponents to a .221 average, best in the majors, struck out more players per 9 innings at 9.94 than any other club, and their starters have a 3.24 ERA, which ranks fifth. Very nice!

Put the two categories together, and Boston is first in the game with a +38 run differential. Sometimes certain stats just don’t match the eye test. This one, at least this year, does.

Admit it, when the Sox opened the season by taking 2 of 3 wins opposite their injury-riddled rival Yankees, then another 2 of 3 against the new cute girl in class from Toronto, you were hooked. It didn’t even bother you when they dropped a pair to the team Dan Duquette built. Fast-forward to that mid-month series with the Rays that featured a couple walk-off hits and a near no-no and, goodness, if you weren’t heading to AceTicket.

But, then, maybe most significantly, they were there for us when we needed a distraction. While the Celtics and Bruins were sputtering amidst the horror that overtook our city, the Red Sox were racking up wins while simultaneously inspiring a community. Four straight victories followed the tragedy at the Boston Marathon, capped by five words Ortiz should have trademarked and another unlikely home run from Daniel Nava, a guy the Sox once signed for $1. Moments like those gave fans relief, however brief, and brought us even closer to this mysterious group of familiar looking friends.

I could tell you that the last two times the Red Sox held baseball’s best record at the end of April were 2004 and 2007, and I don’t think I’d need to finish that sentence. I’d also be getting way ahead of myself.

Maybe 2013’s first month of the season was just a pleasant aberration, a time for April flowers to bloom optimism before May showers the Red Sox with despair. Maybe the team will win 100 games, however unlikely that is. I don’t know if chemistry breeds winning, or the reverse, but neither word was synonymous with the 2012 team.

I do know this: it feels awfully good to be excited about the Sox again.

Am I right?

Hey Softy thanks for playin...FACE!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Hey Softy...FACE

He is talking about the "dog days" what ever that could about the Sox slumping. It may happen but it is going to be Avery hard for this team win less than 90 games at this point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm thinking softy should follow the Dodgers.

10 reasons:

1) They have Kemp locked up for years- the guy softy rambled on and on about for years.

2) They have HanRam, the DL king, butcher SS, that softy rambled on about for years.

3) They have AGon, the guy he is still rambling on about and will be for years.

4) They have Crawford- the Guy softy wanted to be our leadoff hitter instead of "Jake" in 2011.

5) They have the might .400 hitting Punto, that softy wanted us to DFA after 2012.

6) They have Josh Beckett, who could fill the punching bag role nicely for the clown.

7) They have an .089 hitting SS without having a losing record. That should be enough right there!

8) They signed Zach Greinke, so softy can complain about their GM for years.

9) They play more than half their games on the "left coast", so the the clown night owl can watch all the games.... oops, I forgot; he doesn't watch games.

10) He'd be on their forum- not ours.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

He is talking about the "dog days" what ever that could about the Sox slumping. It may happen but it is going to be Avery hard for this team win less than 90 games at this point.

They'd have to go 71-65 to end up at 89-73.

That's not so hard to do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Ok it is not too hard but even if they 500 the rest of the way the end up at 86 win. This time is going to win more then they lose this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ok it is not too hard but even if they 500 the rest of the way the end up at 86 win. This time is going to win more then they lose this year.

They will likely win more than I projected (83-84).

They could win 90 by just going 72-64. That's not that hard either.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Adam's trying to find readers, so he's always clueless. The lineup the Red Sox have is as bad as it looks. This team won't be near the leaders when Lap 162 rolls around. Making the playoffs and going out early would be exceeding expectations. This is the worst Red Sox team, with a flashy one month record, that I've ever seen. I've seen a lot of Red Sox team have a great first half, then fall apart. I hope this team has a good record by the start of August, and doesn't implode with structural flaws failing. I find the probably high that this team is going to flop by the time the season ending story is correctly written. No point in writing a column about how well they are doing, on May 1.

This is a lot to note on my almost-tapped back-up drive.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

10 reasons:

1) They have Kemp locked up for years- the guy softy rambled on and on about for years.

2) They have HanRam, the DL king, butcher SS, that softy rambled on about for years.

4) They have Crawford- the Guy softy wanted to be our leadoff hitter instead of "Jake" in 2011.

5) They have the might .400 hitting Punto, that softy wanted us to DFA after 2012.

6) They have Josh Beckett, who could fill the punching bag role nicely for the clown.

7) They have an .089 hitting SS without having a losing record. That should be enough right there!

9) They play more than half their games on the "left coast", so the the clown night owl can watch all the games.... oops, I forgot; he doesn't watch games.

You have the wrong reasons. Here are some reasons softy should be rooting for the Dodgers:

1. They don't have Ellsbury.

2. They don't have Ortiz.

3. They don't have Carp.

4. They never had Wakefield or Varitek.

5. They don't have Dempster.

6. They don't have Drew.

7. Cherrington isn't their GM.

8. Theo never was their GM.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

10 reasons:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

+1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Adam's trying to find readers, so he's always clueless. The lineup the Red Sox have is as bad as it looks. This team won't be near the leaders when Lap 162 rolls around. Making the playoffs and going out early would be exceeding expectations. This is the worst Red Sox team, with a flashy one month record, that I've ever seen. I've seen a lot of Red Sox team have a great first half, then fall apart. I hope this team has a good record by the start of August, and doesn't implode with structural flaws failing. I find the probably high that this team is going to flop by the time the season ending story is correctly written. No point in writing a column about how well they are doing, on May 1.

Space, 

The Soft One's logic is skewed as usual. If he sees no point in writing such a column on May then what is the point of his making any comment on this day before or after.

Hetch 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Space, 

The Soft One's logic is skewed as usual. If he sees no point in writing such a column on May then what is the point of his making any comment on this day before or after.

Hetch 

If the Sox are still rolling at the end of May, will it be the worst Red Sox team he has ever seen with a gaudy two month record?  What about June?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Space, 

Hetch 

If the Sox are still rolling at the end of May, will it be the worst Red Sox team he has ever seen with a gaudy twomonth record?  What about June?

you can be sure that the goalposts are on rollers at this point

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Space, 

Hetch 

If the Sox are still rolling at the end of May, will it be the worst Red Sox team he has ever seen with a gaudy twomonth record?  What about June?

you can be sure that the goalposts are on rollers at this point

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

10 reasons:

You have the wrong reasons. Here are some reasons softy should be rooting for the Dodgers:

1. They don't have Ellsbury.

2. They don't have Ortiz.

3. They don't have Carp.

4. They never had Wakefield or Varitek.

5. They don't have Dempster.

6. They don't have Drew.

7. Cherrington isn't their GM.

8. Theo never was their GM.

How about Nava?  They don't have Nava.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Hey daveymo, you don't post much but when you do it always brings me a laugh and a smile. You are my poster of the year!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Space, 

Hetch 

Hetch, I have to agree with Softy to this extent: its really early. We really can't evaluate what kind of team we have until July or August. Its a very new team with lots of new personnel and a new personality.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Space, 

Hetch 

Hetch, I have to agree with Softy to this extent: its really early. We really can't evaluate what kind of team we have until July or August. Its a very new team with lots of new personnel and a new personality.

Pumpie, 

I have no problem with saying it is too early to evaluate the team as a whole but I'm just pointing out Softy's flawed logic because he evaluates plenty, critisizes all the time, etc yet he says it;s too early to do so. He contradicts himself all time. 

Hetch

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Lester excellent out of the gate but if he repeats his last two performances for the next few starts it is a game changer.... need he and Clay to have their best seasons ever.

Doubrant will surpass Lester IMO by yrs end as the no. 2 pitcher on the staff. Lackey 3, Lester 4. In fact, if Webster keeps rolling down in AAA it would really be a good time to trade Lester and his 13m option for some nice young assets. Let's keep in mind folks.....we are REBUILDING...record or no record in April. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from daveymo1234. Show daveymo1234's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Hey daveymo, you don't post much but when you do it always brings me a laugh and a smile. You are my poster of the year!

Thanks DD...you are right I don't post much at all.  In fact this is the 1st post I've ever started myself but I read the forum topics everyday and for the most part really enjoy the back and forth between everyone...but one thing's for sure, I'll never let softy or anyone else hijack this forum with all of their nonsense because I believe that's exactly what they want.  Although some have gotten frustrated and left, which is a shame, you can bet guys like Moon will always be here to make sure the truth is heard, share some great stories and stats, and be a place where we as RS fans can come to discuss our favorite team...btw, love the moniker...I live in Va Beach and although did not attend Va Tech go to 3-4 football games every year...great campus and alumni and I always root for the Hokies!           

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

Lester excellent out of the gate but if he repeats his last two performances for the next few starts it is a game changer.... need he and Clay to have their best seasons ever.

Doubrant will surpass Lester IMO by yrs end as the no. 2 pitcher on the staff. Lackey 3, Lester 4. In fact, if Webster keeps rolling down in AAA it would really be a good time to trade Lester and his 13m option for some nice young assets. Let's keep in mind folks.....we are REBUILDING...record or no record in April. 

Bold!

The guy with a constant WHIP of over 1.400 is not likely to rise in the starter slot chart.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Space, 

Hetch 

Doom & Gloomers were "evaluating" this team in Feb., before they played a single game.

Now, that they've played superior baseball for a month, it's too early to tell how good they are?

Does "no playoffs with a rotation of #3 pitchers" ring a bell?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

Bold!

The guy with a constant WHIP of over 1.400 is not likely to rise in the starter slot chart.

I just see Doubrant getting better ( with J.F s help ) and Lester continuing his slide that started 2 yrs ago. Right now...Doubrant just has better STUFF than Lester and more upside. Don't know why, a guy like yourself, does not see that.