Hmmm ... maybe it isn't so much that Salty, Bard and others have the yips

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Hmmm ... maybe it isn't so much that Salty, Bard and others have the yips

but some of our fans ....

How many times have our nerves sent us over the edge ....

How many times have our inability to stick with a player made us quit on him ... over and over again ...

Sho' nuff, even the very best batters are gonna fail more than 60% of the the time ... so we have the right to get snippy and yippy...

With that failure rate, we would all still be stuck in first grade ...

Understandable ... none of us want to be considered dumber than a 1st grader, never mind a 5th ...

Some of us have developed such a yip-ish attitude (not yippy ...we lived thru that too) that it is now the defining outlook we have toward anything Red Sox.  Heck, some of us are so yip-ish that we denegrate the last half decade - huh? Didn't we win a World Series in the last half decade? 

I understand ...

I don't like losing, but I can't see the need for any "fan" to stay here when there are so many other teams you are sure are doing things better.

I was always taught you supported your team.  Little League, Jr & Sr Hi, College, Pro ... heck, even your church league softball team.

I played on and supported teams that were top of the league and well as just those that were hardly better than pick up squads (maybe not as good as...) but we always looked for the best, even when we weren't.  That doesn't mean we didn't work hard on our short comings.  Man, some teams were really lousy.  But we worked to be better ... and tried hard to support each other.  (There were exceptions, of course - but they were exceptions.)

Time to reel in our yips and start our attaboys.  Recent past disappointments need to be set aside, personal attacks of team members need to be reigned in ...

Farrell and all seem to have the starters heading the right way.  New team mates should get our support and those remaining from the past should get our support ...

Feel the urge to be edgy?  Save it for the guys posing as our opponents on the field.  All that negative energy .... focus it THEM and let THEM know this is our house, or at least, our team.

Old chant we used to holler out the window of the bus as we rolled into town, "WE are the Raiders, mighty, mighty Raiders!  Everywhere we go, people want to know who we are.  So we tell 'em, WE ARE THE RAIDERS, MIGHTY, MIGHTY RAIDERS ...."

Me?  I was a second stringer ... but I hollered as loudly as I could.  It was great and we were always ready to take the field.  Sure, it was high school.  But I had already been a Sox fan for nearly a decade ... and was as vocal for them as a 7 year old in '62.   Oh ... the Red Raiders?  That team lost only 1 game in 4 years ... but before that run, "We are the Raiders" was as big a reality in supporting my teammates.  And the Red Sox?   Well, do I have to mention '67?  I was ready to scrap (mostly verbally)  with anyone who made fun of them - even friends. 

I'm old school that way.  I may not have the best team on the field, but I'm gonna support them, come hell or high water ... the only enemy is the other team.

I don't mind honest assessment ... but I detest the arrogant know-it-all false fan that spends more time cutting down than building up. 

Got the yips? 

That's ok, for now.  It's only ST ... and we all know ST is for working out problems and make the team before the regular season starts.  Work 'em out.  Then start this new season with a new attitude of throwing insults across the diamond instead of into our clubhouse.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: Hmmm ... maybe it isn't so much that Salty, Bard and others have the yips

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

How many times have our inability to stick with a player made us quit on him ... over and over again ...

Sho' nuff, even the very best batters are gonna fail more than 60% of the the time ... so we have the right to get snippy and yippy...

Understandable ... none of us want to be considered dumber than a 1st grader, never mind a 5th ...

Some of us have developed such a yip-ish attitude (not yippy ...we lived thru that too) that it is now the defining outlook we have toward anything Red Sox.  Heck, some of us are so yip-ish that we denegrate the last half decade - huh? Didn't we win a World Series in the last half decade? 

I understand ...

I don't like losing, but I can't see the need for any "fan" to stay here when there are so many other teams you are sure are doing things better.

I was always taught you supported your team.  Little League, Jr & Sr Hi, College, Pro ... heck, even your church league softball team.

I played on and supported teams that were top of the league and well as just those that were hardly better than pick up squads (maybe not as good as...) but we always looked for the best, even when we weren't.  That doesn't mean we didn't work hard on our short comings.  Man, some teams were really lousy.  But we worked to be better ... and tried hard to support each other.  (There were exceptions, of course - but they were exceptions.)

Time to reel in our yips and start our attaboys.  Recent past disappointments need to be set aside, personal attacks of team members need to be reigned in ...

Farrell and all seem to have the starters heading the right way.  New team mates should get our support and those remaining from the past should get our support ...

Feel the urge to be edgy?  Save it for the guys posing as our opponents on the field.  All that negative energy .... focus it THEM and let THEM know this is our house, or at least, our team.

Old chant we used to holler out the window of the bus as we rolled into town, "WE are the Raiders, mighty, mighty Raiders!  Everywhere we go, people want to know who we are.  So we tell 'em, WE ARE THE RAIDERS, MIGHTY, MIGHTY RAIDERS ...."

Me?  I was a second stringer ... but I hollered as loudly as I could.  It was great and we were always ready to take the field.  Sure, it was high school.  But I had already been a Sox fan for nearly a decade ... and was as vocal for them as a 7 year old in '62.   Oh ... the Red Raiders?  That team lost only 1 game in 4 years ... but before that run, "We are the Raiders" was as big a reality in supporting my teammates.  And the Red Sox?   Well, do I have to mention '67?  I was ready to scrap (mostly verbally)  with anyone who made fun of them - even friends. 

I'm old school that way.  I may not have the best team on the field, but I'm gonna support them, come hell or high water ... the only enemy is the other team.

I don't mind honest assessment ... but I detest the arrogant know-it-all false fan that spends more time cutting down than building up. 

Got the yips? 

That's ok, for now.  It's only ST ... and we all know ST is for working out problems and make the team before the regular season starts.  Work 'em out.  Then start this new season with a new attitude of throwing insults across the diamond instead of into our clubhouse.

this my friend is a very solid post!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Amateur sports are not the same as professional sports. Accoutability only comes from the fans. The cost of the product over the last half a decade has produced embarrasing results. Any fan who thinks the best course of action to be cheerleading sheep are out of touch with reality.

Whey your little league team has a payroll of 150 million, only then will it be time to impose accountablity on juveniles. Professional athletes are paid highly to perform well, with some in major production roles.

The world's smallest violin should by playing for the Red Sox organized professional labor force. It has not been a professional result, at all.  

I understand your position, Karl Marx.  It is the common man who holds all others accountable for their performance.  That is a weighty responsibility.  I do indeed struggle, from time to time, whether it is in my ethical pervue to even support professional sports and the huge salaries that are afforded them.  Then I realize that they ONLY get the money because so many of us common people support them to the nth degree.  It becomes a matter of the heart more than a matter of equaties or spread sheets.  It has always been so.  I admit my sheer delight the times we got Pedro and Manny ... even at the earth shaking monetary costs of the moment.   I am guilty of being joyful in the moment of their acquisition ... my BELOVED  Red Sox were gonna be even more thrilling to follow.

I choose to take my issues of responsibility out on social, political and religious venues.   The outlandish choices we have made as a society to support athletics as we do .... does have a positive ripple effect on many in our communities.  Down to the guys that park the cars, tote the beers, take chances by opening eateries near the stadia .... and not just in MLB towns ... the business of sports help opportunity for uncounted jobs and livelihoods.   When I lived in south central Indiana - an hour or so south of Indianapolis, hotels and eateries filled up during every home Colts game, EVERY HOTEL south of Chicago to north of Louisville filled up during speed week at the Brickyard, heck folks even rent out spare bedrooms ...  and those are just small ticks I know of.  So, the professional sports teams and events, even the Red Sox - and maybe especially the Red Sox - already share their responsibility in immense ways.  From the northern forests of Vermont, Maine and NH, people are eager to get to Fenway ... EAGER is a short sell on that emotion.  From the unsettled battle areas of eastern NY/western Mass/central Conn .... there are countless howling masses that are pushing to get to Fenway .... and highway tolls are paid, jobs are supported, all sorts of things that show the Red Sox are supporting their end of the term "responsible."

I am an amateur sports fan.   No one is paying me to lay my support here or there.   I willingly give my support to the Red Sox - more than any other pro team.  I enjoy pro football and basketball, but they don't hold a candle to the Red Sox, in my heart.  And that is the place where they live large.   Sorry, Softy.  I am easily a negative person - but the Sox during good times and bad have my undiluted support.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Excellent post SY.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Excellent post SY.

Always a pleasure, my friend!  :o) 

I'm looking forward to so many exciting options this year... including the maturing of Iggy's bat, the arrival of JBJ and others ...

The canvas is yet to be painted, but the new shades are exciting and the reclaiming of vintage hues are comforting!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

I understand ...

Got the yips? 

this my friend is a very solid post!

Thank you, Raider, mighty, mighty Raider!!!   :o)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Great post, Since Yaz!...As someone who lives life with a "glass is half full" attitude, it's refreshing to see something like this on a board that has become more about trolling and whining than legitimate baseball discussion. 

This team could be fun to watch this year.  The talent is there and I love what Farrell and Nieves have done with this pitching staff, especially having them pick up the tempo and letting the pitchers know that the attitude with umpires will only hurt you.  I'll always appreciate what Josh Beckett did for the Sox over the years, but I never realized what a negative impact he had on the young pitchers until this winter, as he is a classic case of "additon by subtraction." 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Great post, Since Yaz!...As someone who lives life with a "glass is half full" attitude, it's refreshing to see something like this on a board that has become more about trolling and whining than legitimate baseball discussion. 

This team could be fun to watch this year.  The talent is there and I love what Farrell and Nieves have done with this pitching staff, especially having them pick up the tempo and letting the pitchers know that the attitude with umpires will only hurt you.  I'll always appreciate what Josh Beckett did for the Sox over the years, but I never realized what a negative impact he had on the young pitchers until this winter, as he is a classic case of "additon by subtraction." 

Congrats Jasko!  That is such a great way to look at life!

It's always helps.

I agree with you on the influence on the pitchers, I am quite impressed.

I also agree about Josh.  Appreciate what he brought to us, but he has had seasons prior to the last ones where his ego cost him anhd the Sox a lot.  In '06 he insisted on tryinbg to blow smoke by everyone and he was rewarded with 36 dingers and an ERA over 5.   Tek got him under control and the next season he was 20-7 ... and we know what happened in '07!

Heck, subtracting Bobby V has been  a great addition ... heh.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Good post.

This is why I have been saying that I don't care what happens this Spring with Bradley. Because in the grand scheme of things people actually getting so ANGRY about whether or not it happens kind of freak me out.

It's baseball. It's the Red Sox.

chill out and enjoy it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Amateur sports are not the same as professional sports. Accoutability only comes from the fans. The cost of the product over the last half a decade has produced embarrasing results. Any fan who thinks the best course of action to be cheerleading sheep are out of touch with reality.

Whey your little league team has a payroll of 150 million, only then will it be time to impose accountablity on juveniles. Professional athletes are paid highly to perform well, with some in major production roles.

The world's smallest violin should by playing for the Red Sox organized professional labor force. It has not been a professional result, at all.  

I understand your position, Karl Marx.  It is the common man who holds all others accountable for their performance.  That is a weighty responsibility.  I do indeed struggle, from time to time, whether it is in my ethical pervue to even support professional sports and the huge salaries that are afforded them.  Then I realize that they ONLY get the money because so many of us common people support them to the nth degree.  It becomes a matter of the heart more than a matter of equaties or spread sheets.  It has always been so.  I admit my sheer delight the times we got Pedro and Manny ... even at the earth shaking monetary costs of the moment.   I am guilty of being joyful in the moment of their acquisition ... my BELOVED  Red Sox were gonna be even more thrilling to follow.

I choose to take my issues of responsibility out on social, political and religious venues.   The outlandish choices we have made as a society to support athletics as we do .... does have a positive ripple effect on many in our communities.  Down to the guys that park the cars, tote the beers, take chances by opening eateries near the stadia .... and not just in MLB towns ... the business of sports help opportunity for uncounted jobs and livelihoods.   When I lived in south central Indiana - an hour or so south of Indianapolis, hotels and eateries filled up during every home Colts game, EVERY HOTEL south of Chicago to north of Louisville filled up during speed week at the Brickyard, heck folks even rent out spare bedrooms ...  and those are just small ticks I know of.  So, the professional sports teams and events, even the Red Sox - and maybe especially the Red Sox - already share their responsibility in immense ways.  From the northern forests of Vermont, Maine and NH, people are eager to get to Fenway ... EAGER is a short sell on that emotion.  From the unsettled battle areas of eastern NY/western Mass/central Conn .... there are countless howling masses that are pushing to get to Fenway .... and highway tolls are paid, jobs are supported, all sorts of things that show the Red Sox are supporting their end of the term "responsible."

I am an amateur sports fan.   No one is paying me to lay my support here or there.   I willingly give my support to the Red Sox - more than any other pro team.  I enjoy pro football and basketball, but they don't hold a candle to the Red Sox, in my heart.  And that is the place where they live large.   Sorry, Softy.  I am easily a negative person - but the Sox during good times and bad have my undiluted support.

+1000. Well said SY!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Good post.

This is why I have been saying that I don't care what happens this Spring with Bradley. Because in the grand scheme of things people actually getting so ANGRY about whether or not it happens kind of freak me out.

It's baseball. It's the Red Sox.

chill out and enjoy it.

I don't get it either.  Maybe some of the haters grew up in a different time period.  When I grew up, you just rooted for your favorite team and favorite player(s).

I'd also raise the question of what these people have been doing over the years.  With the exception of the woebegone Valentine experiment, our 2004-2011 stretch is the best since the early 1900s.

If these people are complaining as much as they do now, what were these people like in the 70s, 80s, and 90s?  The haters must have been whining 24 hours a day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Nice post SY - it's always great to see a positive thread.  :-)

I suppose people are entitled to root for their team the way they want to, but I don't understand all the negativity.  Constructive criticism is one thing, but some of the bashing that goes on here is something else.

One week to go!  I can't wait!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Your whole problem is that you do not recognize that as we plan our lives sh!t happens. The RS have planned and because stuff happens they have not panned out. 

I am positive that all of your plans for your life, marriage, children, family, career, etc... Have not gone according to plan And you actually have more control over it. The RS make plans and they all depend on 25 players on the big team and about 100 others in the minors as well as management At all levels.

so understand that all plans are susceptible to sh!t happening.

i also know you believe that ALL of your proposals are better than any GMs the RS have ever had but your plans will never ever be tested under real life.