Home plate collisions eliminated

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Home plate collisions eliminated

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah.  I remember his saying that at the time.  I was hoping you might be able to use your substantial influence to get the GM's to take a look at it.  :-)

A bit more seriously, I'm going to assume that IFers will be able to continue to block the bag on steals and pickoffs since the blocking of the bag doesn't result in concussions. 

On the injury front, I see more injuries around 2B on DP's now that the instant replay will make the "neighborhood tag" of the bag obsolete.

[/QUOTE]

I was concerned about that too S5

I heard today ''the neighborhood play'' won't be reveiwable

I'm good w/that but the list of non reveiwable plays I saw today

was longer than I think most fans thought

[/QUOTE]
    Yep.  I saw that too.  The Rules Committe was caught between a rock and a hard place with that one.  On the one hand they're trying to prevent injuries, and on the other hand they're trying to be sure that what happens is within the rules of baseball.  Those two things are in direct conflict on the neighborhood plays at 2B.

There were a couple of others too, one that made sense to me and one that didn't.

The one that made sense = fair/foul on balls going over the bag won't be reviewable. those calls are always doubtful anyway.  The only way to tell for sure would be a camera facing down and mounted directly over the bag.

The one that didn't make sense = whether a runner is out of the baseline between Home Plate & 1B.  I have NO IDEA why that's not reviewable.  It's pretty plain when you see it on a replay.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think they should also make catchers wear skirts.

Just kidding.

[/QUOTE]

In a related rule change, runners who feel they are blocked from a clear path to the plate by the catcher will be allowed to drop their batting gloves and initiate fisticuffs with the offending catcher. However, once one of the players is on the ground, the umpires shall be required to intervene in the melee and pull the players apart. There will be a five inning major penalty assessed to each player involved.

[/QUOTE]

That's hockey.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

And while we're talking about rule changes, how about clarifying that interference/obstruction thing?  :-/

[/QUOTE]

Joe Torre said there wont be any change in the obstruction ruleSurprised

[/QUOTE]

That's because he loved that call so much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I know Buster Posey is somewhere asking why this couldn't be done sooner.

FTR I never watched that play, and I think it's a good idea to have plays you can't watch removed from the game if at all possible.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[/QUOTE]
    Yep.  I saw that too.  The Rules Committe was caught between a rock and a hard place with that one.  On the one hand they're trying to prevent injuries, and on the other hand they're trying to be sure that what happens is within the rules of baseball.  Those two things are in direct conflict on the neighborhood plays at 2B.

There were a couple of others too, one that made sense to me and one that didn't.

The one that made sense = fair/foul on balls going over the bag won't be reviewable. those calls are always doubtful anyway.  The only way to tell for sure would be a camera facing down and mounted directly over the bag.

The one that didn't make sense = whether a runner is out of the baseline between Home Plate & 1B.  I have NO IDEA why that's not reviewable.  It's pretty plain when you see it on a replay.

[/QUOTE]

I agree on both counts no idea why

wasn't another one traped inf balls or something

I didn't understand that one either

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    you must have been watching the same tv show I was watching. :-)

Yes... whether a ball is trapped or caught by an infielder isn't reviewable, but that same play by an outfielder IS reviewable.  Wha....?  I don't see the difference. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

this is terrible

[/QUOTE]

Why is it terrible, Andrew?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

this is terrible

Why is it terrible, Andrew?

You had to askWinkTongue Out

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

next your going to tell me pitchers don't have to hit and managers can have plays reversed based on instant replay....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    you must have been watching the same tv show I was watching. :-)

Yes... whether a ball is trapped or caught by an infielder isn't reviewable, but that same play by an outfielder IS reviewable.  Wha....?  I don't see the difference. 

[/QUOTE]

Maybe this is because with an infield trap it's a little harder to resolve 'what would have happened'.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 12m

MLB has eliminated home plate collisions and will require players to slid into the plate.

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 7m

Home plate collision rule would have to be approved by union. Suspensions and fines for not sliding.

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 46s

Catchers could not block the plate. They'd have to play it like fielders at other bases and tag the runner.

[/QUOTE]

There goes one aspect of Ross's game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

Maybe this is because with an infield trap it's a little harder to resolve 'what would have happened'.

could be

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I think that the only thing that should be changed is that the player must slide if a potential play exists at the plate.

There should be NO restriction on the catcher attempting to block the plate with his shin guard.  This ploy by catchers is a fundamental which has existed since the conception of the game.  If a catcher is good enough to block the plate with his protectice guard, make the play and willing to take the chance of risk injury to himself in the process...so be it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think that the only thing that should be changed is that the player must slide if a potential play exists at the plate.

There should be NO restriction on the catcher attempting to block the plate with his shin guard.  This ploy by catchers is a fundamental which has existed since the conception of the game.  If a catcher is good enough to block the plate with his protectice guard, make the play and willing to take the chance of risk injury to himself in the process...so be it.

[/QUOTE]

I think that will be basically be the case

if I understood it right

kinda of like college where you can still have contact

but only under the catchers belt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i think it will simply mean no wholesale blocking of the plate so that the runner has to initiate contact to get thru or knock the ball loose...there will still be contact i bet

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think that will be basically be the case

if I understood it right

kinda of like college where you can still have contact

but only under the catchers belt

[/QUOTE]

That makes sense...