Hot Stove League Discussion Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Hot Stove League Discussion Thread

I suspect the Alex Rodriguez appeal may hold up the free agent market because the top free agents may want to see whether the Yankees will get out from under the Rodriguez contract and thereby have the money to become legitimate suitors.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I suspect the Alex Rodriguez appeal may hold up the free agent market because the top free agents may want to see whether the Yankees will get out from under the Rodriguez contract and thereby have the money to become legitimate suitors.

[/QUOTE]

Good point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Tha is exhausting to even think about.... cannot wait for Alex to finally leave MLB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The MLB Trade Rumors website predicts Mike Napoli will sign with the Red Sox, Jacoby Ellsbury with the Mariners, Jarrod Saltalamacchia with the White Sox and Stephen Drew with the Mets:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/2014-top-50-free-agents-with-predictions-1.html

No other free agent on the Top 50 list is predicted to sign with the Red Sox.

The MLB Trade Rumor predictions -- and most other predictions -- are notoriously inaccurate. Here are the predictions for the past two offseasons:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/2013-top-50-free-agents-with-predictions-1.html

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/2012-top-50-free-agents-1.html

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

no point in bringing back both morales and miller, we have breslow and maybe even doubront in the pen as the long man. bailey should not be offered arb, he is not worth 5 mill per. he could be brought back, but only for much less. there are lots of free agent options, brian wilson would be a good fit, and the indians recent cut chris perez, would could be a really good option for us as koji is old and who knows if he will pitch beyond this upcoming season, perez could be our closer long term. The middlebrooks situation is one that could get interesting this offseason especially if stephen drew is brought back. The marlins make sense as a suitor, but im not sure who we would get back from them. If there gm holds true to his word that he will not trade stanton, then i'm not sure how a trade would work. Cishek could be one guy we could target, though with all the free agent late inning options, trading for cishek wouldnt make a ton of sense. should be an interesting offseason, thats for sure.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportswizard1. Show Sportswizard1's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

no point in bringing back both morales and miller, we have breslow and maybe even doubront in the pen as the long man. bailey should not be offered arb, he is not worth 5 mill per. he could be brought back, but only for much less. there are lots of free agent options, brian wilson would be a good fit, and the indians recent cut chris perez, would could be a really good option for us as koji is old and who knows if he will pitch beyond this upcoming season, perez could be our closer long term. The middlebrooks situation is one that could get interesting this offseason especially if stephen drew is brought back. The marlins make sense as a suitor, but im not sure who we would get back from them. If there gm holds true to his word that he will not trade stanton, then i'm not sure how a trade would work. Cishek could be one guy we could target, though with all the free agent late inning options, trading for cishek wouldnt make a ton of sense. should be an interesting offseason, thats for sure.

[/QUOTE] High guys and gals I'm a newbie so be gentle. I think the sox will make QO's on Napoli,Drew, and Ellsbury. I don't think Salty gets the QO. With that said there are several names that interest me on the present list of 50 top FA's: Ruiz, Granderson,Tanaka, McCann and even Loney to a certain extent, as fall back plans Pierzynski and Morneau could be of value. As far as LHRP are concerned I think the Sox will give Miller a chance to win a spot on the 2014 roster, but they do have Britton and Breslow. The best thing they could do in the off season is somehow con the Marlins into trading them Stanton but I'm not holding my breath. I also think the only one of the three QO's that will be returning is Napoli.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think we keep one of Miller or Morales and trade the other.

I like signing Mujica, instead of trading for Cishek.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Alex Speier - WEEI.com, Red Sox Beat Writer Mike Napoli is expected to receive one-year free agent qualifying offer from Red Sox; Jarrod Saltalamacchia is not

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doubront is a starter and, IMHO, will stay there. Morales, Bailey and Miller are all arb 3. I would take Miller back and non-tender Morales and Bailey. Maybe renegotiate a deal with them at a lower rate.

Id like to start the year with RDLR in a closer role in AAA. I think your right in thinking they will bring in a BU closer, so to speak, like last year. I dont think its likely what happened last year, will happen again. But never say never.

I think they really like Middy and he will be at 3b. Only if they are blown away will they trade him, and it will be for more than a reliever. Unfortunately his stock isnt that high and you might be selling low on him.

Gonna be a lot of action this offseason.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They may wait for a while, but lawsuits tend to take a very long time to conclude. It may take six months or more for the Yankees-Slappy conflict to be decided. No one is going to wait that long to make a decision about where they want to play next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They may wait for a while, but lawsuits tend to take a very long time to conclude. It may take six months or more for the Yankees-Slappy conflict to be decided. No one is going to wait that long to make a decision about where they want to play next year.

[/QUOTE]

I thought I heard his case will be heard in November. At least they should determine if he will play in 2014 at that hearing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Hot Stove League has officially begun. I want more of this:

soxgroup.jpg

[/QUOTE] no thank you Tongue Out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Trade your ace? Name your price! Ken Rosenthal on what 2 years of David Price is worth in a trade (HINT:he's pricey) http://foxs.pt/1b7fcOd

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

David O'Brien - AJC, Braves Beat Writer

8 teams have contacted Braves FA pitcher Hudson, including Red Sox, Giants, A's, Rangers. ATL made him 1-yr offer (not qualifying offer)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Mike Dowling     /WCVB      

GM Ben cherrington says team will make qualifying offers later today to Drew MikeNapoli & Ellsbury

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

JIM BOWDEN@JimBowdenESPNxm           

Dan Jennings told us they have discussed Mark Trumbo and Will Middlebrooks with their scouts…they have young pitching available

Marlins general manager Dan Jennings told SiriusXM's Jim Bowden in an interview Sunday that the club has discussed both Mark Trumbo and Will Middlebrooks with their scouts.
    The Marlins know they need to add more punch to their lineup and could do so with the addition of either corner infielder. "We like both guys," Jennings said. "We're not there yet in terms of close to any deals." The Angels are known to be shopping Trumbo for pitching, and the Red Sox could conceivably deal Middlebrooks if they put Xander Bogaerts at third instead of shortstop next season.
     3 - 10:58 am et

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 6m

Drew, Ellsbury and Napoli have a week to accept or reject qualifying offers. Ellsbury and Napoli seem sure to reject

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Jenny Dell/NESN      

Farrell: "completely comfortable with Koji as our closer" next season

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Mike Dowling/WCVB      

Mgr John Farrell says Obama called him at 1:50 to congratulate him & invited tm to White House during 1st series in Balt

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Scott Lauber - Boston Herald, Red Sox Reporter

No set date for Dustin Pedroia's thumb surgery, but 'looks like we're headed in that direction,' Cherington says

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Danny Knobler - CBSSports.com, Senior Basbeall Writer

Cherington just said at Red Sox press conference no one has asked permission on any of their coaches (so no Cubs ask on Lovullo yet).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham - Boston Globe, Red Sox Beat Writer

Other  Red Sox news: Cherington said it would take a "compelling" reason to move Victorino out of RF.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/11/sox_make_qualifying_offers_to_drew_ellsbury_and_na.html

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Jim Bowden - ESPN.com, Baseball Analyst

Players that were not made qualifying offers: Hart, Hudson, Johnson, Arroyo, Saltalamacchia   Up-Dated List of players given Qualifying Offers: Napoli,Drew,Ellsbury,Beltran,Kuroda,Granderson,Cano,Jimenez,McCann

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Scott Levesque/RedSoxLife      

Still waiting to see if Choo receives a QO. That could play rather nicely into the Red Sox plans with Ellsbury heading out the door.