Hot Stove League Discussion Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: Hot Stove League Discussion Thread

Ken Rosenthal/FoxSports      

Explaining the holdup on Lovullo: http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz/article/explaining_the_holdup_on_lovullo/14968745?new_post=true 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 12m

#RedSox outrighted OF Quintin Berry and IF Brandon Snyder off the 40-man roster. They are free agents.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

NESN - Sports News and Updates

Ben Cherington Says Red Sox View Will Middlebrooks as Third Baseman, Not Ready to Consider Move to First Base

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Jenny Dell - NESN, Red Sox Beat Reporter

OFFICIAL: Additionally, RHPs Andrew Bailey and Alex Wilson, OF Ryan Kalish, and LHP Andrew Miller were reinstated from the 60-day DL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Mets dont lose a 1st, neither does the Mariners. You sign Choo Sox lose a 1st.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Miller is a Loogy, a lot of money for that.

Umm.... not really:

vs RHBs: .155/.319/.207/.526

vs LHBs: .281/.339/.386/.725

2011  RHB hit 7 hrs compared to 1 HR against lefties, 2012 RHB hit .263, lefties hit, .149. So your right, this year turned around, so that tells me, this guy is inconsistent.
    If a Lefthanded Pitcher that throw in mid 90's cant get a Lefthanded batter out, you actually proved my point, not even a good Loogy.

3 years in Boston 131 innings, 78 BB's. Never been a fan of him. Think he's overated.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Follow David O'Brien@ajcbraves

8 teams have contacted #Braves FA pitcher Hudson, including Red Sox, Giants, A's, Rangers. ATL made him 1-yr offer (not qualifying offer)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Red Sox tendered one-year qualifying offers to Drew, Ellsbury, Napoli. Did not tender qualifying offers to Hanrahan, Saltalamacchia.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Ken Rosenthal/FoxSports      

Sources: Red Sox’s Lovullo will indeed interview with Cubs, most likely early this week.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Miller is a Loogy, a lot of money for that.

Umm.... not really:

vs RHBs: .155/.319/.207/.526

vs LHBs: .281/.339/.386/.725

2011  RHB hit 7 hrs compared to 1 HR against lefties, 2012 RHB hit .263, lefties hit, .149. So your right, this year turned around, so that tells me, this guy is inconsistent.
    If a Lefthanded Pitcher that throw in mid 90's cant get a Lefthanded batter out, you actually proved my point, not even a good Loogy.

3 years in Boston 131 innings, 78 BB's. Never been a fan of him. Think he's overated.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not a big fan either, but since he became a relief pitcher, his numbers have improved.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Buster Olney/ESPN      

Brian McCann makes a ton of sense for BOS, to fill need at catcher in the next couple of years, DH later. David Ross can help w/ recruiting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Choo - LF (20-20 guy with high OBP, one of the killer arm to throw out at home)

Victorino - RF (GG at RF)

Pedey - 2B

Papi - DH

Bogaerts - SS 

McCann - C (20+ HR, can shift to DH when Papi retires, McCann and Ross for SP)

Naps - 1B

Middlebrooks - 3B

JBJ - CF

Bench: Nava (1B/LF), Gomes (LF), Ross (C), Brendan Ryan (UTIL)

Lester-Buchholz-Peavy-Doubront-Lackey

BP: Workman, Britton, Bailey, Miller, Breslow, Taz, Uehara

[/QUOTE]

I would be pretty happy with that....however I really do not want JBJ in center.  I'd feel better with Vic in center and Nava in left with Choo in Right. I also would like to see another power bat coming in.  Maybe a trade that includes WMB, JBJ and a young stud pitcher not named Owens could get us a very good power bat to play the OF or 1B.....who knows.

[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I am looking for as well.

With Drew accepting the 1 year and playing SS while the team waits for Marrero. Xander at 3B. A guy like Bloomquist at utility or trade for Barney from the Cubs as Notin suggested. Drew was sub .200 avg and .300 OBP vs. lefties while splist over the last 3 yrs have Bloomquist hitting .314/.355 against them.

I don't think we can afford both McCann and Choo, although it would be incredible, both would cost 5/90 or 6/105 in my opinion. Hard if Drew is here at 14.1.

However, if the team could package Middlebrooks and Dempster (if Peavy if absolutely needed) for an OF that makes far less than the 14m they do AND restructure/extend Lackey (4 years 30 instead of 1 year 15 and 1 year 500k?) then maybe they can afford both of those guys.

Carlso Gonzalez starts making a LOT of money for the Rockies after a modest 10.5m next year (16-17-20). Are they going to be contenders? Would they want to pay that for him after age 30? Looks like he played one full season in 5. But he is Ellsbury with a little more OBP, twice the power and half the steals. I don't see Nolan Arenado and his .301 OBP being any better than Middlebrooks, but with Helton gone they could put Middlebrooks at 3B.

I would trade Dempster, Middlebrooks and Jackie Bradley Jr. for Gonzalez. Probably not enough though. Carloz Gomez of the Brewers went for .284/.338 with 24 HR's. A nice 3 yr 24m left and a righty CFer to put between lefty Choo and switch Shane. Dempster and JBJ for him? Low OBP's in previous years a concern though.

Then there is Ryan Braun. Haha. Are Brewers fans really forgiving and ready to embrace him? That is a LOT of cheese he is owed. 7 years 114m.

But...

He is 1 year younger than Ells. His power isn't all from performance enhancers of course. Say he won't hit .319-.332 like he did in 4 seasons, have an OBP of .370-.397 or have 32-41 home runs like he did in another 5. But you would get .275-.305, .345-.360 with 22-28 HR's, 32-38 doubles, something like 85 runs scored and 105 RBI's a year and very good LF defense. Isn't that worth 7/116 when Ells is looking for 6/126? Power lasts longer than speed.

He also only makes 10 and 12m the next 2 years while Victorino is here at 13 and 13. Then when Shane is gone and someone like Brentz is here we can better afford the 19m he would make. Dempster, Middlebrooks and JBJ for Braun? I have not seen any evidence that the Brewers are trying to trade him. He is the anti-Sox good vibe awesome teammate though.

Justin Ruggiano was another guy notin mentioned who I liked the idea of.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Scott Lauber/BostonHerald      

Farrell on Workman's role (starter or reliever): "If you poll 10 people in organization, it might be a split camp"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Red Sox view starting pitching as "position of strength and depth," Cherington said. Could envision scenario of all 6 veteran SPs in camp

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Source suggested Saltalamacchia could draw interest from White Sox, Cubs, Phillies, Marlins and possibly Yankees

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Now is the funnest time of year. I get to sit back and read a bunch of trade proposals that will never happen except in a video game. You know, the "we'll give you our scraps for your all-star player who isnt available" type deals.

I would put money on WMB 3b, Xander SS, Pedey 2b, Napoli 1b for the infield. Shane in RF, Gmoes/Nava LF, and the rotation looks to be crowded right now with Buch, Lester, Lackey, Peavy, Dempster, Doubront, and now Workman. With Webster, Ranaudo, Barnes and soon to be Owens waiting at AAA.

CF and catcher are the big ?'s. I dont think they fully trust JBJ just yet, like Iggy this year. We might see an OF'er brought in as well as a catcher and a couple pen arms like always. I hardly doubt they play WMB at 1b and Xander at 3b like some of you GM's would like to see. It makes no sense to play 2 young guys out of their natural positions, and where they are less valuable.

Does Ben have a big trade up his sleeve? Maybe, but it will have to make sense and not deplete the farm.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Buster Olney/ESPN      

Brian McCann makes a ton of sense for BOS, to fill need at catcher in the next couple of years, DH later. David Ross can help w/ recruiting.

[/QUOTE]

He will want way more than 2 years.

He does not project to be a top tier 1Bman or DH.

We have Lava, Butler, Vazquez, Swihart, and Denny rising in the ranks.

Pass.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't think we can afford both McCann and Choo, although it would be incredible, both would cost 5/90 or 6/105 in my opinion. Hard if Drew is here at 14.1.

We can afford them if we dump Dempster without paying much of his deal and restructure Lackey's deal. We may have to let Bailey go as well.

I doubt we sign 2 guys with QOs, but since we may gain 3, I could see us signing 1 for a net gain of 2 picks.

Carlos Gonzalez starts making a LOT of money for the Rockies after a modest 10.5m next year (16-17-20). Are they going to be contenders? Would they want to pay that for him after age 30? Looks like he played one full season in 5. But he is Ellsbury with a little more OBP, twice the power and half the steals. I don't see Nolan Arenado and his .301 OBP being any better than Middlebrooks, but with Helton gone they could put Middlebrooks at 3B.

Carlos G has a career .887 OPS, but that is heavily influenced by his 1.033 OPS at Coors.

His career home/road splits are .992/.795 (which includes some bad home numbers the year he was with Oakland).

Pass.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now is the funnest time of year. I get to sit back and read a bunch of trade proposals that will never happen except in a video game. You know, the "we'll give you our scraps for your all-star player who isnt available" type deals.

I would put money on WMB 3b, Xander SS, Pedey 2b, Napoli 1b for the infield. Shane in RF, Gmoes/Nava LF, and the rotation looks to be crowded right now with Buch, Lester, Lackey, Peavy, Dempster, Doubront, and now Workman. With Webster, Ranaudo, Barnes and soon to be Owens waiting at AAA.

CF and catcher are the big ?'s. I dont think they fully trust JBJ just yet, like Iggy this year. We might see an OF'er brought in as well as a catcher and a couple pen arms like always. I hardly doubt they play WMB at 1b and Xander at 3b like some of you GM's would like to see. It makes no sense to play 2 young guys out of their natural positions, and where they are less valuable.

Does Ben have a big trade up his sleeve? Maybe, but it will have to make sense and not deplete the farm.

[/QUOTE]

I do think you are right about what Ben will choose to do. I could see him obtaining a cheap CF'er to cover JBJ in case he struggles. They do not want to move Victorino from RF.

I could see us signing Suzuki for 2 years. Ross leaves after 2014 to make room for Lava or Vazquez, and after Suzuki's time runs out, hopefully Vazquez or Swihart will be ready. Then, there is Denny getting close by then.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 8h

As Stephen Drew contemplates qualifying offers, worth noting he stuck around Boston for 2 days after the parade. He likes it here. #redsox

Bet the #RedSox sign a former closer type of guy on the relative cheap as Uehara insurance.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 12m

#RedSox outrighted OF Quintin Berry and IF Brandon Snyder off the 40-man roster. They are free agents.

[/QUOTE]

Thornton, Berry and Snyder are gone off the 40 man...

Here's a look at the updated framework we are starting with:

The 2014  Forty  man Roster and Rule 5 Possibilities (listed by team seniority):

I believe we have 36 on the roster now:

1) Ortiz

2) Lester

3) Pedroia

4) Buccholz (60 Day DL)

5) Doubront

6) Tazawa

7) Lackey

8) Kalish 

9) Morales

10) Miller 

11) Lavarnway

12) Middlebrooks

13) Britton

14) Bailey 

15) Nava

16) Breslow

17) Ross

18) Webster

19) de la Rosa

20) Wilson 

21) Wright

22) Butler

23) Vazquez

24) Hassan

25) Gomes

26) Victorino

27) Uehara

28) Dempster

29) Holt

30) Carp

31) Bradley

32) Workman

33) Villareal

34) Peavy

35) Bogaerts

36) Castellanos

Blue= May be traded or DFA'd to make room for those needing rule 5 protection.

Minor League Free Agents to be, unless added to the 40 Man roster in November:

Alfredo Aceves, Ronald Bermudez, Anthony Carter, Miguel Celestino, Ryan Dent, Jonathan Diaz, Marco Duarte, Vladimir Frias, Charlie Haeger, Mark Hamilton, Justin Henry, Brock Huntzinger, Bobby Lanigan, Will Latimer, Mitch Maier, Matt Maloney, Jack McGeary, Eric Niesen, Gerardo Olivares, Rafael Perez, Manny Rivera, Alberto Rosario, Ryan Rowland-Smith, Matt Spring, Drew Sutton, Tony Thomas

Rule 5 Eligible (must be added to the 40 man roster by Nov 20):

Mario Alcantara, Michael Almanzar, Chris Balcom-Miller, Carson Blair,Bryce Brentz, Chris Carpenter, Garin Cecchini, Keith Couch, William Cuevas, Keury De La Cruz, Luis Diaz, Leonel Escobar, Derrik Gibson, Dreily Guerrero, Jayson Hernandez, Chris Hernandez, Peter Hissey, Aaron King, Aaron Kurcz, Juan Carlos Linares, Heiker Meneses, Boss Moanaroa, Yunior Ortega, Oscar Perez, Mathew Price, Anthony Ranaudo, Nate Reed, David Renfroe, Pete Ruiz, Felix Sanchez, Kyle Stroup, Francisco Taveras, Raynel Velette, Jose Vinicio, Kolbrin Vitek, Shannon Wilkerson, Madison Younginer

I'd say de la Cruz and Almanzar may not get drafted Rule 5, but the following probably need to be protected or lost:

1) Cecchini

2) Ranaudo

3) L Diaz

4) Brentz

If we sign 4 free agents: OF, SS/3B, 1B and RP somethings got to give. 4 free agents plus 4 rule 5 protected roster moves makes about 4 that need to be added to the 40 man roster.

See the players in blue to determine who must go to make room, unless we pull off a 2 or 3 for 1 deal or two somewhere pretty soon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 8h

As Stephen Drew contemplates qualifying offers, worth noting he stuck around Boston for 2 days after the parade. He likes it here. #redsox

Is 2 days a long time?

Bet the #RedSox sign a former closer type of guy on the relative cheap as Uehara insurance.

[/QUOTE]

I like Mujica as that man.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Agent: Red Sox 'would be a consideration' for Brian McCann

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Maureen Mullen       

Angels have named Paw Sox mgr Gary DiSarcina 3B coach.