Hot Stove League Discussion Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: Hot Stove League Discussion Thread

Buster Olney       

Brian McCann expected to start visiting teams he's talking with in the next 2 weeks;NYY/TEX/BOS among more than half-dozen teams interested.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Padres Sign Josh Johnson By  Zach Links [November 20 at 12:12pm CST]

The Padres finished the season with a six-man rotation and have talented arms on the mend from Tommy John surgery in the form of Cory Luebke and Joe Wieland, but that didn't stop GM Josh Byrnes from landing one of the highest-upside arms on the free agent market. The Padres announced on Wednesday that they have signed right-hander Josh Johnson to a one-year contract.

Johnson's deal is reportedly worth $8MM, and he can earn another $1.25MM if he makes 26 starts. The contract also contains a conditional option that offers the Padres some protection against his lengthy injury history; if Johnson fails to make seven starts next season, San Diego will gain a $4MM club option for the 2015 season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Wow.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/tigers-to-acquire-prince-fielder-for-ian-kinsler.html#disqus_thread

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

FanGraphs' free agent depth chart (by projected WAR):

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=ALL&teamid=0

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/free-agent-depth-charts/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Not a major move, but it appears Brandon Snyder is back in the fold...

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/11/21/brandon-snyder-says-hes-re-signed-with-red-sox/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Nick Cafardo   

Red Sox had agreement with David Ortiz when they signed him that they would not negotiate a new deal or extension until after deal expired.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/11/21/brandon-snyder-says-hes-re-signed-with-red-sox/

[/QUOTE]

He's just an emergency 15 day DL fill-in or fill-in until a deal can be made type of player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

What are the odds that we think the Sox go back into Luxury tax land again...?

I have this feeling that they are going to sign 2 of these 5: Choo,Beltran, Ellsbury, and McCann or Napoli, plus a RP and C or 1B fill in to be opposite the above choice, but 2 big signings and 2 little signings.  McCann just seems like a priority, along with Naps and 1 of the 3 outfielders.  Might they sign 3 big ticket items?  I have gone in a circle here...but I think they sign 3 plus a RP.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe 5m

If the likes of Jason Vargas can get four years and $32 million, the #RedSox have valuable trade chips in Dempster, Peavy and Lackey

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's just an emergency 15 day DL fill-in or fill-in until a deal can be made type of player.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I was intrigued early last season by having a former #13 overall pick around who was still pretty young and got off to a hot start in AAA, but he really did nothing from mid-summer onward...and the Holt/Snyder interregnum at third base was pretty painful.

Thought it was worthy of a mention, but probably not a thread.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

What are the odds that we think the Sox go back into Luxury tax land again...?

I have this feeling that they are going to sign 2 of these 5: Choo,Beltran, Ellsbury, and McCann or Napoli, plus a RP and C or 1B fill in to be opposite the above choice, but 2 big signings and 2 little signings.  McCann just seems like a priority, along with Naps and 1 of the 3 outfielders.  Might they sign 3 big ticket items?  I have gone in a circle here...but I think they sign 3 plus a RP.

[/QUOTE]

They already have a backup catcher (Ross) and a backup 1b (Carp).  Doubtful they sign any more.

I also doubt they sign 2 of that 5.  More likely, they sign a RP and see how the market develops for Dempster / Peavy / Lackey to fill another need.     

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...see how the market develops for Dempster / Peavy / Lackey to fill another need.     

The FA starting pitcher group this year is weak. Once a few big ones get signed, Ben's phone will be ringing off the hook.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Mets offer Young a one-year, $7.5 million deal.  

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/10017603/outfielder-chris-young-agrees-deal-new-york-mets

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

There goes the releif pitcher...one more chip in place.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• The Red Sox talked to the Angels about Peter Bourjos before he was sent to the Cardinals, but the discussions "didn't go very far," tweets Brian MacPherson of the Provdence Journal.
    • The Red Sox can turn to Jackie Bradley Jr. if Jacoby Ellsbury goes elsewhere rather than making a dramatic move, MacPherson writes.  It's a new position for the BoSox, as they have historically had to go out-of-house after losing significant free agents.  However, Boston will still probably add someone in support of Bradley as a safeguard.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mossad-did-911. Show mossad-did-911's posts

I just heard that the Rangers may be interested in signing Robinson Cano, and then trading Profar or Elvis Andrus. Profar in a package for a #1 pitcher or big bat, and Andrus for a #3 pitcher. Boston is obviously unlikely to deal Lester for Profar, but would the young Elvis Andrus be a solid replacement for Drew? Would Peavy or Lackey be a good deal for both teams?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just heard that the Rangers may be interested in signing Robinson Cano, and then trading Profar or Elvis Andrus. Profar in a package for a #1 pitcher or big bat, and Andrus for a #3 pitcher. Boston is obviously unlikely to deal Lester for Profar, but would the young Elvis Andrus be a solid replacement for Drew? Would Peavy or Lackey be a good deal for both teams?

[/QUOTE]

What else does Texas need?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] It would be fun to watch the Yankees lose Cano! I don't know if I trade Lackey to any AL team, Peavy maybe as long as there are no other pieces involved from the Sox end.

What else does Texas need?

[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 1h

#RedSox 3B @middlebrooks on trying to earn his old job back: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/11/24/will-middlebrooks-red-sox-already-preparing-for-next-season/rSVa5u1c5dt5DEOXOiJSZI/story.html  Embedded image permalink

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Will Middlebrooks already preparing for next season   By  Peter Abraham |  GLOBE STAFF   

NOVEMBER 24, 2013

HINGHAM — The cold, dark winter will soon envelop New England. But one Red Sox player still shows up at Fenway Park regularly to lift weights and work with the medical staff.

Will Middlebrooks doesn’t know for sure what his role will be in 2014. Like everybody else, he is waiting to see how the roster comes together in the coming weeks. For now, he is preparing himself to be the starting third baseman.

“That’s really all I can do,” Middlebrooks said Saturday after making an appearance on behalf of Good Sports, a nonprofit organization that gets sporting goods in the hands of disadvantaged kids. “I want to get my body right and be ready for next season.”

Middlebrooks opened last season as the third baseman and batted fifth on Opening Day. He dropped steadily down the order because of a lack of production, and eventually off the roster in May when he was put on the disabled list with a back injury that was more significant than the team indicated at the time.

When Middlebrooks returned in June, Jose Iglesias was entrenched as the third baseman. Middlebrooks was demoted to Triple A Pawtucket for two months, returning only after Iglesias was traded.

Middlebrooks hit .276 with eight home runs and 24 RBIs over 41 games, helping the Sox secure the American League East title. Middlebrooks started eight of the first nine postseason games before Xander Bogaerts took over at third base.

“It would have been selfish of me to complain. The important thing is that we won,” Middlebrooks said. “Our team, we played for each other. I may not have contributed much in the World Series but I feel like I helped us get to that point.”

Middlebrooks had a .271 on-base percentage last season, which has to be improved. But he does have 32 home runs over the last two years, and that righthanded power has value. At 25, Middlebrooks remains very much a factor in the team’s future, barring a trade.

Alex Hassan, an outfielder on the 40-man roster who is from Milton, will be a workout partner this winter. They will spend time at Fenway and in Woburn at the facility owned by team consultant Mike Boyle.

“It’s an important time for me. I want to be 100 percent going to spring training,” Middlebrooks said. “I want to have a clean state, start over, and help this team win another one.

“I’ve been spending a lot of time with David [Ortiz] talking about baseball and everything else. It has really helped me.”

On Saturday, Middlebrooks played Wiffle ball with about 30 kids in a cul-de-sac, the group taking advantage of the pleasant weather to take big cuts at his pitches.

John Hussey won a Good Sports auction in the spring to host Middlebrooks at his home. He intended it as a gift for his twin sons, Ben and Sam, and daughter Casey.

The game was delayed when Middlebrooks was sent down. Five months later, he kept his promise and pitched a few innings before taking questions from the kids. There were plenty of photos and autographs, too.

“Will has been so helpful,” said Christy Keswick, chief operating officer of Good Sports. “He connects with the kids and understands what our mission is. It’s a great experience for him, too.”

Quincy-based Good Sports has collected $10 million in new equipment from manufacturers over the last 10 years and donated it to 500,000 kids in 41 states, 300,000 in Massachusetts alone.

Middlebrooks will spend a few weeks back in his native Texas around the holidays. But the bulk of his offseason will be spent in Boston. He is enjoying the post-Series glow still on the faces of fans.

“People don’t congratulate us, they say ‘thank you’ and you can tell how much it means to them,” he said. “I’ll just go down to the corner for a sub and people want to talk about the team. It’s great to be a part of. I love being in this city.”

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Andrus would be a nice addition but I would prefer Drew on a 2 or 3 year deal. After missing virtually the first two months with a concussion the  getting back in the swing of things.

I don't think they will bring Drew back but I think he would be a good addition.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Not that it's going to happen, but could you imagine Profar and Bogy on the left with Middy at first? With Pedey's long term contract, that would be the RS infield for the next 5+years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Buster Olney - ESPN, Senior Baseball Writer

The Yankees have made offers to other free agents, but Stephen Drew is not among those.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Dodgers near deal with Dan Haren?...http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/right-hander-dan-haren-reportedly-agrees-to-one-year-deal-with-dodgers?ymd=20131124&content_id=64189370&vkey=news_mlb

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Rafael Furcal - SS - Cardinals

According to Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, the Pirates are among eight teams who have checked in on free agent shortstop Rafael Furcal.

Furcal's agent passed along the update. The 36-year-old missed the entire 2013 season following Tommy John surgery, but he could be an insurance policy for Jordy Mercer. The Mets are among the other teams who have reportedly expressed interest. In a weak market for shortstops, Furcal could end up with a guaranteed contract.     and no interest in Drew???????????????