Hot Stove League Discussion Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Re: Hot Stove League Discussion Thread

Yankees hint at pulling 'best offer' to Cano

A team source told ESPN New York that the Yankees' current offer to Robinson Cano has a deadline.

It's hardball time. The Yankees have put a seven-year, $160 million proposal on the table for Cano and aren't willing to go much higher. Now they want the negotiations to pick up because free agents are flying off the board at a faster pace than usual and the club has other targets in mind. Cano, a Roc Nation client, is said to be looking for a 10-year, $310 million free agent contract. But nobody is going to give it to him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Nick Cafardo   

Red Sox gm Ben Cherington said there's been a lot of trade talk concerning his starting pitchers

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

DodgersNation.com - News and Updates

"Scott Boras is pushing Stephen Drew on the Dodgers" is what Peter Gammons had to say

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

Rafael Furcal - SS - Cardinals

According to Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, the Pirates are among eight teams who have checked in on free agent shortstop Rafael Furcal.

Furcal's agent passed along the update. The 36-year-old missed the entire 2013 season following Tommy John surgery, but he could be an insurance policy for Jordy Mercer. The Mets are among the other teams who have reportedly expressed interest. In a weak market for shortstops, Furcal could end up with a guaranteed contract.     and no interest in Drew???????????????

it still sounds funny to hear of a postion player getting TJS... 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

FanGraphs columnist Dave Cameron takes an early look at the price of a Win Above Replacement this offseason:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/an-early-look-at-the-price-of-a-win-this-off-season/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• The Red Sox seem to be letting Mike Napoli's market develop before deciding what their final offer to him will be, reports Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe (Twitter link).
    • Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald spoke with Red Sox GM Ben Cherington who told him that the team is "in a position to be a little choosy, a little selective" in its search for a new catcher. Cherington says the Sox are interested in a "small handful of free agents"and has also actively pursued trades at catcher.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Michael Young has reached out to both the O's and Sox per MLBTR#Peter Gammons. My guess is he would make a nice addition to either team, but would be far more successful in beantown...Again money will be the determining factor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yankees To Sign Brendan Ryan By  Steve Adams [November 27 at 4:45pm CST]

NOVEMBER 27th, 5:22pm: Ryan's deal is now official, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter).  Ryan gets a two-year, $5MM deal with a player option for 2016 that, along with incentives, can boost the total value to $10MM over three seasons.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• Could a problem with Red Sox free agent Jarrod Saltalamacchia's medicals be the cause of a seemingly slow market for the backstop's services? In an appearance on WEEI's Mut & Merloni (writeup via WEEI.com), ESPN's Buster Olney suggested that possibility, while acknowledging that he has no specific knowledge of Salty's file.
    • Another player who has yet to see a full slate of bidders, according to Olney, is another Boston free agent: shortstop Stephen Drew. Olney says that he believes Drew's decision to reject the club's $14.1MM qualifying offer was a mistake. He reasons that it is looking worse by the day, with the Cardinals now out of the market and the Mets seemingly hesitant to give up a pick to sign him at that level of value.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Mets are a stupid organization. Then again with a deep Draft like this year, tells you the value of Draft Picks. Alderson was a good GM. He always has a plan.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

• Could a problem with Red Sox free agent Jarrod Saltalamacchia's medicals be the cause of a seemingly slow market for the backstop's services? In an appearance on WEEI's Mut & Merloni (writeup via WEEI.com), ESPN's Buster Olney suggested that possibility, while acknowledging that he has no specific knowledge of Salty's file.
    • Another player who has yet to see a full slate of bidders, according to Olney, is another Boston free agent: shortstop Stephen Drew. Olney says that he believes Drew's decision to reject the club's $14.1MM qualifying offer was a mistake. He reasons that it is looking worse by the day, with the Cardinals now out of the market and the Mets seemingly hesitant to give up a pick to sign him at that level of value.

[/QUOTE]

Buster should have some proof before suggesting something like that. Its like saying, I think Buster might have herpes, but I have no proof. Dumb.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

On this date 10 years ago the Red Sox acquired righthander Curt Schilling from Arizona for lefthanders Casey Fossum and Jorge de la Rosa, righthander Brandon Lyon and minor leaguer Michael Goss:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/this-date-in-transactions-history-november-28th.html

de la Rosa went 16-6 with a 3.49 ERA in 30 starts this year with the Colorado Rockies.

And on this date 21 years ago the Seattle Mariners signed David Arias Ortiz, a Dominican power hitter who had just turned 17 years of age.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

The Marlins have also approached the Red Sox about 22-year-old third baseman Garin Cecchini, even though he would appear to be similar to Colin Moran, the No. 6 overall pick in the 2013 draft.  Cecchini spent time in Advanced-A and Double-A in 2013, hitting a combined .322/.443/.471 with seven homers.  Baseball America ranked Cecchini as the seventh-best prospect in the Red Sox's system heading into the 2013 season.  One executive covering the Arizona Fall League told Gammons that the youngster “has sneaky power that will play in the big leagues and will keep increasing in pro ball.”

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/marlins-have-discussed-mark-ellis.html

Hmm.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Marlins have also approached the Red Sox about 22-year-old third baseman Garin Cecchini, even though he would appear to be similar to Colin Moran, the No. 6 overall pick in the 2013 draft.  Cecchini spent time in Advanced-A and Double-A in 2013, hitting a combined .322/.443/.471 with seven homers.  Baseball America ranked Cecchini as the seventh-best prospect in the Red Sox's system heading into the 2013 season.  One executive covering the Arizona Fall League told Gammons that the youngster “has sneaky power that will play in the big leagues and will keep increasing in pro ball.”

Hmm.

[/QUOTE]

This should get everybody's tounge wagging about a Stanton trade. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

By: Michael Silverman/Boston Herald

The Red Sox added to their bench and bullpen yesterday, inking a pair of players to minor-league deals with invitations to major-league spring training.

Thirty-two year old Mike McCoy, has appeared in 170 games with the Rockies and Blue Jays between 2009 and 2012 and has played second base, shortstop, third base and all three outfield positions.

Tommy Layne, 29, is a left-hander who made 40 appearances for the Padres the last two seasons. Over 25-1/3 innings, he had two saves, with a 2.84 ERA and 2-2 record.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hmm.

[/QUOTE]

This should get everybody's tounge wagging about a Stanton trade. 

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately yes, let the Giancarlo rumors commence.  Personally I think if Miami really likes Cecchini they figure they have a 1b/3b locked up between him and Colin Moran.  I think they try to trade Morrison for him, Stanton's asking price hasn't dropped below Bogaerts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• Right-handed reliever Luis Ayala, who produced solid results last year at age 35 for the Orioles and Braves, is also in search of a multi-year deal, Cotillo reports. He has not yet seen an offer, but has received interest from the Red Sox and Rays as well as the Dodgers, Giants, O's, and Phils. Meanwhile, the Royals have seemingly stepped away from Ayala after showing initial interest.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Unfortunately yes, let the Giancarlo rumors commence.  Personally I think if Miami really likes Cecchini they figure they have a 1b/3b locked up between him and Colin Moran.  I think they try to trade Morrison for him, Stanton's asking price hasn't dropped below Bogaerts.

You mean like Cecchini, Villareal, Lava, and Brentz for Morrison, Ruggiano, and Cishek?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Hmm.

[/QUOTE]

I dont trade Cecchini for Stanton. Sorry. I like a 300BA 400OBP with 20HR potential. not an oft injured, lower BA and OBP but more power and only 3 years of control at much much more $$$.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You mean like Cecchini, Villareal, Lava, and Brentz for Morrison, Ruggiano, and Cishek?

[/QUOTE]

We get a bat with big time potential at first, a player who plays all outfield positions and a reliever with closers stuff.  Looks fair onpaper, but I don't make that trade.  Perhaps I'm a bit of a homer and really like Cecchini and Brentz.  Brentz is the first callup this year if an outfielder goes down.  I'm also not 100% positive Morrison will ever be any better than Will Middlebrooks, I do like his splits however.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Is Brentz the top calll up if an outfielder goes down?

The Sox other options are Kalish, Hassan, and Castellanos.   How do you think they are ranked internally?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox other options are Kalish, Hassan, and Castellanos.   How do you think they are ranked internally?

[/QUOTE] Castellanos may have jumped ahead of Brentz because he can play several positions.Also I don't think I would trade Cecchini,as I like him more than Middlebrooks at this point in time. However if the Marlins want to trade Morrison straight across for Middlebrooks great!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I forgot about Hassan, I don't think they expect anything from Kalish.  I'm sure the Sox would love for him to come back and play strong but at this point I don't think they are planning for him to do so at all.  If anything this will be a make or break spring for him. 

Honesty it's probably who is playing best who gets the call. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I forgot about Hassan, I don't think they expect anything from Kalish.  I'm sure the Sox would love for him to come back and play strong but at this point I don't think they are planning for him to do so at all.  If anything this will be a make or break spring for him. 

Honesty it's probably who is playing best who gets the call. 

[/QUOTE]

Kalish is a tough call, but they did add him back on to the 40-man and did not DFA Hassan, either.  Now the Sox have a full 40-man roster, so they would have to remove non-tender or DFA someone if they want to participate in the Rule 5 draft.

Castellanos might have a shot at opening the season on the roster, moreso due to his versaility and experience.   If Kalish is tendered (no guarantee), he is the backup plan for CF, in the sense of being emergency stopgap as opposed to the future.  Really, Hassan and Brentz are the RHH corner OF options.  There are pluses and minuses to both.   However, since Hassan is the one working at 1B, he probably gets an advantage on the depth chart, but also is really not ever going to be considered for anything more than stopgap or bench roles.

No idea what the current view of Brentz is.  It would not surprise me if he was being offered in trades as we speak...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

edit: wrong thread (that's what I get for having too many windows open)