Hot Stove League Discussion Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Hot Stove League Discussion Thread

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not sure what AJP is going to give us more than Salty would have.

[/QUOTE]

Less commitment, that's what.  I think this says something about what the organization thinks of Vasquez/Swihart.  

[/QUOTE]

We could have traded Salty once a kid proved he was ready.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tigers To Sign Joe Nathan By  Steve Adams [December 3 at 10:55am CST]

The Tigers are in agreement with Joe Nathan on a two-year deal, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (Twitter link). Nathan is represented by agent Dave Pepe of Pro Agents, Inc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Dodgers Nearing Agreement With Brian Wilson By  Steve Adams [December 3 at 10:52am CST]

The Dodgers are nearing an agreement with Brian Wilson, according to Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports (Twitter link). Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports had recently tweeted that the two sides have been having discussions, noting that Joe Nathan's near-deal with the Tigers could accelerate the timetable.

Having fully healed from his second Tommy John surgery, Wilson returned to the Majors in August, signing a $1MM contract with the Dodgers. Wilson returned in dominant fashion, allowing just one run with a 21-to-6 K/BB ratio in 19 2/3 innings of work between the regula

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, the Rays will now have Hanigan and J Molina.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

AJP is as good a hitter as we could have hoped for and he's a tick better defensively than Salty. It's a bandaid signing lose a left handed stick replace it. He took the one year deal which is about all the sox wanted to give, though they did offer a two year deal to Salty, he'll look good in a Twins uniform. Next man up,Napoli. Konerko/ Hart and Morneau are just biding their time if Napoli wastes too much more time deciding his mind will be made up for him just like Salty's was. As for Ellsbury he'll sign somewhere next week, and that will just leave Drew. Right now witout adding another player they have cap room of about 25 mil, so it's not like they can sign all three. I'm guessing they trade a pitcher too gain some more cap space and fill a need at the same time. If they go outside the organization for a CF Here are a couple of options: Rajai Davis, Denard Span, and Sam Fuld. There aren't many really good CF's availible. I would gladly take Davis or Span, Fuld though a local boy is basically a b/u and they already have Victorino to b/u CF. As far as Drew is concerned they could negotiate a 1 yr deal if all of his agents plans fall through, 1 yr at 11mil.Maximum.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'm not sure what AJP is going to give us more than Salty would have.

[/QUOTE]

Less commitment, that's what.  I think this says something about what the organization thinks of Vasquez/Swihart.  

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hypothetically yes we could have....but also remmeber that is determined by what his value will be in 2 years from now.  It could be much lower.  

He could be a trade chip in a few years however, but I still think this move signals at the very least they are hopefull they have something in their younger catchers. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If Vasquez looks good by July,  AJP can be traded or released.  That might be tougher with Saltalamacchia if he makes too much cash...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

From this morning's FanGraphs chat with Dan Szymborski:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dan-szymborski-fangraphs-chat-12313/

12:29

Comment From lynn ma

What are the chances that the Red Sox could trade righthander Ryan Dempster without paying some of the $13.25 million remaining on the final year of his contract (or taking on another contract of questionable value)?

12:30

Dan Szymborski: Slim.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

AJP is as good a hitter as we could have hoped for and he's a tick better defensively than Salty.

Any slight gain might be lost by his unfamiliarity with our staff.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

Hypothetically yes we could have....but also remmeber that is determined by what his value will be in 2 years from now.  It could be much lower.  

He could be a trade chip in a few years however, but I still think this move signals at the very least they are hopefull they have something in their younger catchers.

He could be worth more then as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From this morning's FanGraphs chat with Dan Szymborski:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dan-szymborski-fangraphs-chat-12313/

12:29

Comment From lynn ma

What are the chances that the Red Sox could trade righthander Ryan Dempster without paying some of the $13.25 million remaining on the final year of his contract (or taking on another contract of questionable value)?

12:30

Dan Szymborski: Slim.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe we pay $1-3M. It's still worth it, as long as we spend the money wisely. So far, there is no reason to doubt Ben's ability to find value with mid-ranged FAs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Seattle Mariners are targeting Cano

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/10073969/seattle-mariners-emerge-major-player-robinson-cano-sweepstakes

I have a feeling that the Mariners will make one big splash during the offseason.  My guess is that they will sign Ellsbury.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/10073969/seattle-mariners-emerge-major-player-robinson-cano-sweepstakes

I have a feeling that the Mariners will make one big splash during the offseason.  My guess is that they will sign Ellsbury.  

Baseball remains my first love, but if the Mariners sign Jacoby Ellsbury to an expensive, long-term contract I may turn my attention to the 11-1 Seattle Seahawks or the 15-3 Portland Trail Blazers (I share Blazer season tickets).Embarassed

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ellsbury to the Yanks.

Salty to the Marlins.

Morneau to the Rockies?

Choo is the Tigers top target.

Heath Bell to the Rays as part of the Hanigan deal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau By  Zach Links [December 3 at 10:00pm CST]

The Rockies have agreed to sign Justin Morneau to a two-year deal worth roughly $13MM, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (on Twitter).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

Ellsbury to the Yanks.

Salty to the Marlins.

Morneau to the Rockies?

Choo is the Tigers top target.

Heath Bell to the Rays as part of the Hanigan deal.

[/QUOTE]

Another excessive NYY signing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Red Sox Notes: Granderson, Ellsbury, Salty, Lavarnway By  Steve Adams [December 4 at 12:54pm CST]

The Red Sox "haven't ruled out" a pursuit of Curtis Granderson, according to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com (Twitter link). In light of last night's sudden and surprising agreement between Jacoby Ellsbury and the Yankees, the Red Sox have a need in the outfield, though that could simply be handled by Jackie Bradley Jr. The Sox could use Grandy in either right field or center field, with Shane Victorino occupying the other slot. Here are some more Boston-related news items...

• Ken Davidoff of the New York Post tweets that Boston's talks with Ellsbury didn't go too far beyond the five-year, $80MM range. That jives with previous reports that the Red Sox didn't want to give Ellsbury $100MM or more and last night's report that their offerwas "a ways off" from that of the Yankees.
    • WEEI.com's Alex Speier reports that the Red Sox have been limiting their offers to free agent catchers to two years so as not to block the paths of top prospects Christian Vazquez and Blake Swihart. As such, their best offer to Jarrod Saltalamacchia was a two-year deal that could top out at $18MM after incentives. Saltalamacchia instead agreed to a three-year deal with the Marlins yesterday.
    • The signing of A.J. Pierzynski could spell the end of Ryan Lavarnway's time with the Red Sox, Speier writes in a separate piece. Lavarnway has made a lot of strides defensively over the past few years but still isn't a defensive asset, and his offense has seen a precipitous drop since a 32-homer minor league season in 2011. Since that time, he's hit just 14 homers in 829 plate appearances. The presence of Swihart, Vazquez and Dan Butler creates a logjam that could leave Lavarnway on the outside looking in

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

James Loney looking for three years, $27-30M

Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports that James Loney is looking for a three-year deal worth between $27-30 million.

If that's the case, that probably takes the Rays out of the mix. Believe it or not, Passan hears that Loney began the offseason by looking for a four-year, $40 million deal. The 29-year-old earned $2 million this past season while batting .299/.348/.430 with 13 homers and 54 RBI. The Pirates reportedly have interest.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Cano's reps met with Mariners on Tuesday

Robinson Cano’s representatives met with Mariners officials Tuesday in Seattle, reports Kevin Kernan of the New York Post.

"The meeting went very well," said a source. Recent chatter has the offense-starved Mariners as a serious threat to sign Cano, with one report suggesting they could be willing to offer around eight years and $200 million. Meanwhile, the Yankees continue to say they won't go over around seven years and $175 million. We're still skeptical that Cano actually wants to play in Seattle, but something will have to give eventually.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Christopher Smith       

Cherington on Ells: "Big part of 2 World Series teams. We would have loved to keep him." Said market got passed where Red Sox willing to go.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Christopher Smith       

Although Cherington feels comfortable with Bradley, that doesn't rule out adding an OF, he said.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Gordon Edes        

Sox haven't "ruled out" Granderson

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm thinking one from: Napoli, Beltran or Grandy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Pete Abraham    

Farrell, on WEEI, spoke of Bogaerts being on the left side of the INF. Meaning he could well play 3B. Suggests Drew still an option

Pete Abraham   

Farrell says (on WEEI) that De La Rosa will come to ST early to "work on some things." Conditioning surely one of them.\

Pete Abraham   

Farrell spoke of wanting to see Cecchini and Owens in spring training. Be fun to see Owens vs. big league hitters

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Baseball remains my first love, but if the Mariners sign Jacoby Ellsbury to an expensive, long-term contract I may turn my attention to the 11-1 Seattle Seahawks or the 15-3 Portland Trail Blazers (I share Blazer season tickets).Embarassed

[/QUOTE]

Hello hill55   Laughing

The Seahawks and the Trail Blazers have been very good so far.  Russel Wilson may win the MVP (although I have a feeling that Manning will win it).  

Thunder (formerly known as your Sonics) at Portland tonight.  It should be a great game!   Cool