HOW CAN PAPI ONLY BE HITTING.203 RISP +.167 RISP WITH 2 OUTS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

he has batted just .203 with runners in scoring position, and just .167 with men in scoring position and two outs. HE'S HITTING .341 VS LEFTIES WHICH IS phenomenal esp based on last year. still, papi used to be mr. clutch in these parts. even jeter isnt doing this bad in similar situations though. is it because his protection and shaky and gets nothing to hit, gets pull-happy? i just cant put my finger on it and absolutely want the input of some of you who grasp these types of details. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Re: HOW CAN PAPI ONLY BE HITTING.203 RISP +.167 RISP WITH 2 OUTS?

I honestly don't know.  I went looking at the team stats for RISP, expecting them to be, as a whole low, and found, quite to my surprise that the team is doing well with RISP, at a .265 average, and just as well with 2 outs, at .263.  I was really expecting it to be an organizational thing and less an Ortiz thing.  So now, I have no real answer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Hitting .203 with RISP is interesting, but Bob Uecker hit .200 for his entire career!
    Exactly .200! That's noteworthy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

because he's DONE, that bum!!!!..(kidding)...one of those stats you miss when you're not looking for it, i think everyone has a dubious stat hidden somewhere while they are on a roll....well, maybe except for AG...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: HOW CAN PAPI ONLY BE HITTING.203 RISP +.167 RISP WITH 2 OUTS?:
    [QUOTE]beacuse he's DONE, that bum!!!!..(kidding)...one of those stats you miss when you're not looking for it, i think everyone has a dubious stat hidden somewhere while they are on a roll....well, maybe except for AG...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]AG's dubious stat is 20 GiDPs (leads the AL).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: HOW CAN PAPI ONLY BE HITTING.203 RISP +.167 RISP WITH 2 OUTS?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: HOW CAN PAPI ONLY BE HITTING.203 RISP +.167 RISP WITH 2 OUTS? : AG's dubious stat is 20 GiDPs (leads the AL).
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

jim rice used to hit into tons of DP'S. maybe that's what kept him out of the HOF for so long. seriously, hitting the ball hard and being a slow runner=many GiDP'S.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: HOW CAN PAPI ONLY BE HITTING.203 RISP +.167 RISP WITH 2 OUTS? : jim rice used to hit into tons of DP'S. maybe that's what kept him out of the HOF for so long. seriously, hitting the ball hard and being a slow runner=many GiDP'S.
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]Exactly. Jim Ed led the league in GiDPs in 1983, 1984, 1985 and 1986. Power hitters tend to do that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: HOW CAN PAPI ONLY BE HITTING.203 RISP +.167 RISP WITH 2 OUTS? : AG's dubious stat is 20 GiDPs (leads the AL).
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]really?...while he'll never be confused with Ellsbury,  and given that he hits most balls sharply, i didn't know it was that high...curious, who's # 2?...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: HOW CAN PAPI ONLY BE HITTING.203 RISP +.167 RISP WITH 2 OUTS? : really?...while he'll never be confused with Ellsbury,  and given that he hits most balls sharply, i didn't know it was that high...curious, who's # 2?...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]I couldn't find the 2nd place AL guy, but 2nd place in MLB goes to Albert Pujols.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

I'm pretty sure he does that by not getting a lot of hits in those situations. Just a guess.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

[QUOTE]HOW CAN PAPI ONLY BE HITTING.203 RISP +.167 RISP WITH 2 OUTS? I'm pretty sure he does that by not getting a lot of hits in those situations. Just a guess.
    Posted by The--Babe--[/QUOTE]

With no runners on, he'll go with the pitch and hit to left field, but with runners on, he tends to want to pull everything for power and put one in the right field stands. And when he tries to pull the outside pitch, he inevitably hits into the shift resulting in a ground ball out or double play to the right side of the infield.

If, on the other hand, he would try for a single to the wide open left side of the diamond or double off the wall in left with runners on base, his RBI stats would improve immensely.

I can't at the moment find the site that displays where his hits land with the bases empty vs. with men on base, but I recall seeing it a while ago, and the distribution pattern supports my hypothesis.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I don't know if I'm too concerned. I think it's one of those things. He might simply be pressing a bit more. It's worth noting that around mid-May (I think that's when I remember checking) that he was around .148 w/RISP so that means he's raised his average about 50 points in those situations in the last six weeks or so. 

So at least he's headed in the right direction.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: HOW CAN PAPI ONLY BE HITTING.203 RISP +.167 RISP WITH 2 OUTS? : really?...while he'll never be confused with Ellsbury,  and given that he hits most balls sharply, i didn't know it was that high...curious, who's # 2?...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Torii Hunter is 2nd with 19, followed by Ortiz with 16.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Papi is still above the Mendoza Line re: RISP

Not worried.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In Response to HOW CAN PAPI ONLY BE HITTING.203 RISP +.167 RISP WITH 2 OUTS?:
    [QUOTE]he has batted just .203 with runners in scoring position, and just .167 with men in scoring position and two outs. HE'S HITTING .341 VS LEFTIES WHICH IS phenomenal esp based on last year. still, papi used to be mr. clutch in these parts. even jeter isnt doing this bad in similar situations though. is it because his protection and shaky and gets nothing to hit, gets pull-happy? i just cant put my finger on it and absolutely want the input of some of you who grasp these types of details. 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]
    good post - i woudn't have ever guessed that would be true.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to HOW CAN PAPI ONLY BE HITTING.203 RISP +.167 RISP WITH 2 OUTS?:
    [QUOTE]he has batted just .203 with runners in scoring position, and just .167 with men in scoring position and two outs. HE'S HITTING .341 VS LEFTIES WHICH IS phenomenal esp based on last year. still, papi used to be mr. clutch in these parts. even jeter isnt doing this bad in similar situations though. is it because his protection and shaky and gets nothing to hit, gets pull-happy? i just cant put my finger on it and absolutely want the input of some of you who grasp these types of details. 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

Just flashing those two RISP stats leaves an incomplete picture.  He is hitting 
    .314 with 9 home runs and .980 OPS in 153 ABs with runners on compared to 
    .293 with 10 home runs and .369 OPS in 150 ABs with the bases empty.  Since he is performing poorly with runners in scoring position, this must mean that he is hitting exceptionally well with just a runner on first.   

The other question is whether he is hitting poorly with RISP due to his pressing too much or is it more a matter of him being pitched around because of the dropoff of the hitters hitting behind him?  With RISP, he has 17 Ks and 19 BBs in 87 ABs, and overall he has 41 Ks and 43 BB in 303 ABs (sorry, PA info was not available in the stat field I was reviewing).  This means that he is both walking and striking out at a much greater rate with RISP, meaning he could be trying harder to pull and slug the ball and he's being pitched around. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

When you apply physics to the situation,

When you use logic and reason,

When you bend space and time,

The only answer can be he's hitting the ball much better when there are less than two outs and no runners in scoring position.

Eliminate the impossible and then what remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

The interesting thing about those stats is that with RISP the opposing team is less likely to be in a shift....especially when there is just a runner on second....which would mean and I dont have stats to support it, but Papi must have a much higher average hitting into the shift then he does not hitting into the shift....anyone seen stats on that?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: HOW CAN PAPI ONLY BE HITTING.203 RISP +.167 RISP WITH 2 OUTS? : Torii Hunter is 2nd with 19, followed by Ortiz with 16.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]Thanks Kimmi, that's surprising, yeah he's a bit older, but still pretty fleet, like with AG..probably due to balls sharply hit...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]The interesting thing about those stats is that with RISP the opposing team is less likely to be in a shift....especially when there is just a runner on second....which would mean and I dont have stats to support it, but Papi must have a much higher average hitting into the shift then he does not hitting into the shift....anyone seen stats on that?
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

BP carries stats on % of base runners batted in for each hitter.  Papi bats in 13.6% of runners on base when he is at the plate  (66th in the league among batters with at least 200 PAs).  He bats in 10.1 % of runners on 1B (9th in the league), 11.9 % of runners on 2B (87th in the league), and 25.5 % of runners on 3B (108th in the league).

Maybe there is something to the lack of the shift when runners are on 2nd or 3rd base.  Maybe he becomes pull happy when he doesn't see the shift?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: HOW CAN PAPI ONLY BE HITTING.203 RISP +.167 RISP WITH 2 OUTS? : Thanks Kimmi, that's surprising, yeah he's a bit older, but still pretty fleet, like with AG..probably due to balls sharply hit...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

I don't know about Hunter but Gonzalez is painfully slooooowwwww.  His one true weakness.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: HOW CAN PAPI ONLY BE HITTING.203 RISP +.167 RISP WITH 2 OUTS? : I don't know about Hunter but Gonzalez is painfully slooooowwwww.  His one true weakness.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]He might be the only guy in the AL slower than Big Papi.