How come the Wild Card can't play own division winner?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

How come the Wild Card can't play own division winner?

There is no reason the Rays/Sox winner shouldn't be heading to the Bronx.  MLB drives home their priority of division rivals to the tune of about 75 games a year (for 5+ team divisions) but then all of a sudden in the post season they must be seperated? 

It also impacts the #3 seed, because  instead of playing their rightful series against the #2 seed, they play #1 first.  The NFL doesn't care about this and neither should MLB.   

Leave it MLB to find the most arbitrary and least fair way to conduct the post season.  Either simply rank the 4 play off teams based on record, regardless of who is the WC, or have the WC play the best division winner but the baseless clause that 2 teams from the same division can't play in the first round is systemically unfair. 

Can't wait for expanded play-offs next year......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: How come the Wild Card can't play own division winner?

In Response to How come the Wild Card can't play own division winner?:
    [QUOTE]There is no reason the Rays/Sox winner shouldn't be heading to the Bronx.  MLB drives home their priority of division rivals to the tune of about 75 games a year (for 5+ team divisions) but then all of a sudden in the post season they must be seperated?  It also impacts the #3 seed, because  instead of playing their rightful series against the #2 seed, they play #1 first.  The NFL doesn't care about this and neither should MLB.    Leave it MLB to find the most arbitrary and least fair way to conduct the post season.  Either simply rank the 4 play off teams based on record, regardless of who is the WC, or have the WC play the best division winner but the baseless clause that 2 teams from the same division can't play in the first round is systemically unfair.  Can't wait for expanded play-offs next year......
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Really? You want to watch the WS in mid November? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Or December.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I would love to see baseball drop 20 to 30 games from the regular season - expand play-offs if people want it.

How great would it be if Labor Day was the final day for regular season, and the month of September was for the play-offs with the WSC Game One starting on the 1st Saturday of October at 12:30PM (unless game is on West Coast, than 3:30PM)  ...

the monies lost would be negated as the cost of contracts and paying the operational bills would be less, and more excitement and revenues for expanded play-offs... win/win.

If I play on the Royals I am equally excited to still be a millionaire and get an additonal month off every season Cool

The NFL makes a ton of money off a 16 (17?) week regular season and the players are all paid well - very well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to How come the Wild Card can't play own division winner?:
    [QUOTE]There is no reason the Rays/Sox winner shouldn't be heading to the Bronx.  MLB drives home their priority of division rivals to the tune of about 75 games a year (for 5+ team divisions) but then all of a sudden in the post season they must be seperated?  It also impacts the #3 seed, because  instead of playing their rightful series against the #2 seed, they play #1 first.  The NFL doesn't care about this and neither should MLB.    Leave it MLB to find the most arbitrary and least fair way to conduct the post season.  Either simply rank the 4 play off teams based on record, regardless of who is the WC, or have the WC play the best division winner but the baseless clause that 2 teams from the same division can't play in the first round is systemically unfair.  Can't wait for expanded play-offs next year......
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

it's about having to beat  the same team you just beat in the 162

I see NP with that

Can't wait for expanded play-offs next year......

not a good thing for a team with a history of winning the WC

the latest, and surprising to me ,is that it will be a 1 gm PO

I thought each owner would demand a home gm

but this answers the play till nov rants

and sure fixes the targeted problem

of teams not caring if the win the division or WC

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: How come the Wild Card can't play own division winner?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to How come the Wild Card can't play own division winner? : Really? You want to watch the WS in mid November? 
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm was lost.  No, I'm not excited about more play-offs, since my initial point is the MLB post-season is already flawed and a constant work in progress.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to How come the Wild Card can't play own division winner? : it's about having to beat  the same team you just beat in the 162 I see NP with that Can't wait for expanded play-offs next year...... not a good thing for a team with a history of winning the WC the latest, and surprising to me ,is that it will be a 1 gm PO I thought each owner would demand a home gm but this answers the play till nov rants and sure fixes the targeted problem of teams not caring if the win the division or WC
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

The Wild Card system has always been flawed.  In 1995 the first wild card year, Cleveland had the best record in the A.L. and in the first round they played Boston who had the second best record, while the wild card Yanks played that epic series against 3rd best SEA.  How does that make a lick of sense to anyone but Bud Selig?

You have teams competing for the same Wild Card spot but who play wildly different schedules, I mean does Toronto really have the same chance of winning the Wild Card as Cleveland, Minnesota, Chicago, etc.... The answer is no. 

I think the idea of having 2 WC teams play a 1 game playoff does very little aside from punish the 4th place finishing team.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]I would love to see baseball drop 20 to 30 games from the regular season - expand play-offs if people want it. How great would it be if Labor Day was the final day for regular season, and the month of September was for the play-offs with the WSC Game One starting on the 1st Saturday of October at 12:30PM (unless game is on West Coast, than 3:30PM)  ... the monies lost would be negated as the cost of contracts and paying the operational bills would be less, and more excitement and revenues for expanded play-offs... win/win. If I play on the Royals I am equally excited to still be a millionaire and get an additonal month off every season  The NFL makes a ton of money off a 16 (17?) week regular season and the players are all paid well - very well.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

That would be great! I'v had the opinion that the season ends way too late and also starts way too early. Take off atleast 12 games, make it an even 150.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How come the Wild Card can't play own division winner? : That would be great! I'v had the opinion that the season ends way too late and also starts way too early. Take off atleast 12 games, make it an even 150.
    Posted by emp9[/QUOTE]

You have to ask yourself, "Is this a logical idea?"  The answer is yes and therefore there is no way in h e l l Bud Selig is doing it.  We are about to have world series in which home field advantage was determined by an exhibtion game in which more than 50% of the original selections didn't play.  How many years has this ridiculous rule been in place and they haven't come up with better idea, when anything is a better idea.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

The Wild Card system has always been flawed. In 1995 the first wild card year, Cleveland had the best record in the A.L. and in the first round they played Boston who had the second best record, while the wild card Yanks played that epic series against 3rd best SEA.
    How does that make a lick of sense to anyone but Bud Selig?

point taken but my point has just as much merit

why should a team have to beat the same  team they just beat in the 162

and if I were to bet

I'm thinking the owners  not bud voted it this way

I think the idea of having 2 WC teams play a 1 game playoff does very little aside from punish the 4th place finishing team

you lost me there

who is team #4 ?

the WC ?

they should be at a disavantage IMO

I think it's pretty clear that it removes all convertsations pertaining to

should we go all out to win the div or rest our players

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

point taken but my point has just as much merit
    why should a team have to beat the same  team they just beat in the 162
    and if I were to bet
    I'm thinking the owners  not bud voted it this way

This year there isn't really a clear 'best' team in the A.L. but look at the N.L., if the Braves end up with the Wild card, they get to dodge Philly, the clear team everyone would want to dodge in the 1st round, while either AZ or MIL gets punished because MLB says division winners can't meet in round 1.  It just makes no sense.

you lost me there
    who is team #4 ?

Right, team #4 would be WC 1 and team #5 is WC 2.  Most years you don't have 2 WC races come down to the last day, so you have WC 1 with say a 5-6 game lead over WC 2  but then they settle it in a 1 game play-off?  Kind of defeats the purpose of 162 game season to me.  You can use the "well then win your division" argument but often times the WC team has had the 2nd or 3rd best record in the league.  Doesn't seem like the 2nd best team in the league should face a 1 game elimination while other teams are awarded for playing in lousy divisions.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

This year there isn't really a clear 'best' team in the A.L.

I'll let that pass to cont our convertsation

but look at the N.L., if the Braves end up with the Wild card, they get to dodge Philly, the clear team everyone would want to dodge in the 1st round, while either AZ or MIL gets punished because MLB says division winners can't meet in round 1. It just makes no sense

well, going back to your other post

lets say the wc is TB

doesn't geting to skip the highpayroll yanks

somewhat make up for that unbalence schedule that you brought up B4

your points have merit

but there is no perfect way

so why not just enjoy it

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

well, going back to your other post
     lets say the wc is TB
    doesn't geting to skip the highpayroll yanks
    somewhat make up for that unbalence schedule that you brought up B4
    your points have merit
    but there is no perfect way
    so why not just enjoy it

There is definitely some logic to the point about TB/BOS avoiding the Yanks in the first round making up for the unbalanced schedule teams in the A.L. east play but it is purely circumstantial, meaning it only applies if the best division winner and wild card are both fromt the A.L. east.  But you're right maybe there is no perfect way but there are better ways, the NFL has a better way.  I think the addition of a 1 game playoff between 2 WC teams only makes it worse.

Don't worry, I enjoy it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

TB/BOS avoiding

LMAO

to be cont..........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Avoiding = not having to play.......  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

I guess that the MLB intent is to have the fans watch a matchup that hasn't been already seen 18 times already during the season.  I think that their reasoning is sound.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]The Wild Card system has always been flawed. In 1995 the first wild card year, Cleveland had the best record in the A.L. and in the first round they played Boston who had the second best record, while the wild card Yanks played that epic series against 3rd best SEA. How does that make a lick of sense to anyone but Bud Selig? point taken but my point has just as much merit why should a team have to beat the same  team they just beat in the 162 and if I were to bet I'm thinking the owners  not bud voted it this way I think the idea of having 2 WC teams play a 1 game playoff does very little aside from punish the 4th place finishing team you lost me there who is team #4 ? the WC ? they should be at a disavantage IMO I think it's pretty clear that it removes all convertsations pertaining to  should we go all out to win the div or rest our players
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Hey Zac,

One could argue that the WC team is not always "the forth best team" and in fact in many years is clearly the second best both in overall record and on paper...

Since the advent of the division format pre-dating and even since they expnded and added the WC. There have been many examples of the teams finishing second in a divsion, missing the post season, dispite having a better record than a division winner and that was back when they played a balanced schedule too.

That said, I don't know how Selig will or can sell adding a WC play in game to the format, as long as they maintain the unbalanced schedule too include the intraleague games. Given the unblanced schedule I am not a proponant of handicapping the WC team...I'd rather they just elimanate it...and give the team wioth the best record a bye...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: How come the Wild Card can't play own division winner? : Hey Zac, One could argue that the WC team is not always "the forth best team" and in fact in many years is clearly the second best both in overall record and on paper... Since the advent of the division format pre-dating and even since they expnded and added the WC. There have been many examples of the teams finishing second in a divsion, missing the post season, dispite having a better record than a division winner and that was back when they played a balanced schedule too. That said, I don't know how Selig will or can sell adding a WC play in game to the format, as long as they maintain the unbalanced schedule too include the intraleague games. Given the unblanced schedule I am not a proponant of handicapping the WC team...I'd rather they just elimanate it...and give the team wioth the best record a bye...
    Posted by Beantowne

Baseball is the only sport that has such a discrepency in scheduling among teams.  In the NFL teams play identical schedules to other teams in their division, except for 2 weighted games that are determined by the previous year's standings.  You rotate through other divisions both conference and non conference.  It is logical, transparent and as close to equal as you can find.  I could literally tell you next years schedule for all the teams, except for 2 games.

In the NHL and NBA teams in the same conference play almost the same schedule, with it weighted slightly more to divisional opponents but with 8 teams making the play-offs, those discrepencies are largely mitigated.

In MLB, Toronto and Cleveland are both 80-81 right now. 4th place Toronto played 3/4 (54 games) of its division schedule against teams with winning records, while 2nd place Cleveland played 3/4 of its division schedule against losing teams.  There is no way you can say that those 2 teams have an equal shot at the WC.

With realignment and constant interleague coming I say, scale back division play, 12 games against each divisional opponent(48),10 games against the rest of the teams in the league(100), and 12 interleague games.  That is 160 games and I think gives enough interleague that you always have 1 interleague series going, which you need with 15 in each league.  I would say that MLB should weight the interleague schedules, the way the NFL does, have 1st place teams play first place teams and so on. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

The whole one game playoff system will dramatically alter who wins the WS. 

As things now stand, most years the WC team gets to use their #1 pitcher in the ALDS and if they win that game they are ahead in the series 1-0 and only have to win 3 of the next 6 games to advance.

Starting next year that #1 pitcher will have to be used in the one-game playoff, and when the ALDS comes along the WC team will be using their #2 against the #1 of the team that won their division.  I'm sitting here predicting that will make a HUGE difference in the WC's #1 may only get to pitch one game. 

While I do think that the WC team should be at a disadvantage in the playoffs, I also think that the lack of home games (as things currently stand) is disadvantage enough. 

JMO

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How come the Wild Card can't play own division winner? : Hey Zac, One could argue that the WC team is not always "the forth best team" and in fact in many years is clearly the second best both in overall record and on paper... Since the advent of the division format pre-dating and even since they expnded and added the WC. There have been many examples of the teams finishing second in a divsion, missing the post season, dispite having a better record than a division winner and that was back when they played a balanced schedule too. That said, I don't know how Selig will or can sell adding a WC play in game to the format, as long as they maintain the unbalanced schedule too include the intraleague games. Given the unblanced schedule I am not a proponant of handicapping the WC team...I'd rather they just elimanate it...and give the team wioth the best record a bye...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

greetings BT

I don't know how Selig will or can sell adding a WC play in game to the format, as long as they maintain the unbalanced schedule too include the intraleague games. Given the unblanced schedule I am not a proponant of handicapping the WC team...

actually IMO it looks like things  get worse

sounds like houston moves to the AL west

which means interleague daily

and that sounds pretty crazy 2 me

I'd rather they just elimanate it...and give the team wioth the best record a bye...

interesting BT

I think they can just leave things as they are

last month things looked a lot different

and it look like a replay of what happened with the yanks and rays last yr

thanks to the braves

and that other team    things look a lot  more interesting ;-)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

I say put'em all in one division, play an equal schedule against every team then the top for playoff in the AL and the NL! I would also go to a 5-7-9 playoff schedule, lets see who has the best team where you cannot win with just two great pitchers like you can today in a 7 game series!