How many times does Ortiz have to do this...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: How many times does Ortiz have to do this...

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is about money.

It is about respect.

Papi deserves both.

[/QUOTE]hey Carn!!..how are ya bud?..

Ditto

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Looking forward to som baseball jete. The sea dogs should be fun to watch this year between Betts, Cecchini and Owens.

[/QUOTE]

carnie, we set up a live chat room, to watch the games. If you're interested, we can send you the link. Good group.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Looking forward to som baseball jete. The sea dogs should be fun to watch this year between Betts, Cecchini and Owens.

Me2. I'll be in Maine this July.

Looking to see Swihart and Noe Ramirez as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

$$ = respect

has david ortiz done enough to deserve both?

my answer is an unequivocal "yes".

The Sox know the modus operandi by now.  they should have done 2015 the second everyone woke up from the hangover day after the parade.  that would be respect.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

How would he react to a one year QO?

Would anyone else match it?

Pay him more?

Is there a compelling reason to act before his contract is up?

I'd personally prefer to deal with Lester first.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to antibody's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

[QUOTE]

How many years in a row now? 4? 5? 6? Year after year after year it's the same thing:

"I want more years"

"I want more money"

"I deserve more respect"

Time and time again I've listed the COUNTLESS public, SELFISH outbursts this guy has had.

Yes, he has been  incredible for this team, on the field. He should have left it at that. Had he NEVER opened his mouth, he would have gotten pretty much the same money right along. He went to FA once...nobody wanted him! What was it? 2011? Yet he has to continually open his big, selfish mouth.

For me, this will forever keep him from being the greatest Red Sox player of all time. Had he been a mute, I'd have liked him far more. Yes, take awayALL the positive things he's said as well. I don't think they add up to all the nonsense.

"This is bs...I want to talk about my rbi" - after breaking into Francona's conference

"Aceves should be starting, I don't know what the problem is" - 2011 I think

"Maybe I'll go to NYY if this is how it's going to be" - also 2011 I believe

I'm working off of memory, but all things he's said, in addition to the contract stuff for half a decade, IN ADDITION to more.

Unreal. Coming off a World Series Championship. With everything that has happened in Bostin within the Past year, and a VERY important Patriots Day coming up...and he's talking contract.

The most disappointing thing is it shouldn't even be a surprise. It's what he's always done.

I take that back...the MOST disappointing thing is how much the fans enable, encourage, and seemingly SUPPORT this behavior. 

The Red Sox were around for 100 years before Ortiz. They will be around for more than 100 after.

It's not all about him.

[/QUOTE]GREAT post......Oh my gooooodness, how can anyone question some of the "T-BALLERS" on this board on why the SOX should just sit back and keep paying PAPI 15MIL per year FOR EVAA !!!

[/QUOTE]

Not "FOR EVAA." Just two or three more years. He's earned it in spades! Jeebuz, Bill... you act like it's coming out of your pocket. If the Sox agree to pay him, what does it have to do with you?

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!

[/QUOTE]tHE POINT IS,  maybe the SOX are questioning this wisdom !!

[/QUOTE]

That may be, but Papi deserves every consideration here. O.K., three years might be a stretch but after the year he just had he's earned a two year deal IMO. Who else are you going to get that will give you the numbers he's put up for 15 mil? When you get right down to it every contract is a risk. If it were up to me, I wouldn't think twice about taking the risk on Senor Ortiz.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

How many years in a row now? 4? 5? 6? Year after year after year it's the same thing:

"I want more years"

"I want more money"

"I deserve more respect"

Time and time again I've listed the COUNTLESS public, SELFISH outbursts this guy has had.

Yes, he has been  incredible for this team, on the field. He should have left it at that. Had he NEVER opened his mouth, he would have gotten pretty much the same money right along. He went to FA once...nobody wanted him! What was it? 2011? Yet he has to continually open his big, selfish mouth.

For me, this will forever keep him from being the greatest Red Sox player of all time. Had he been a mute, I'd have liked him far more. Yes, take awayALL the positive things he's said as well. I don't think they add up to all the nonsense.

"This is bs...I want to talk about my rbi" - after breaking into Francona's conference

I'm working off of memory, but all things he's said, in addition to the contract stuff for half a decade, IN ADDITION to more.

Unreal. Coming off a World Series Championship. With everything that has happened in Bostin within the Past year, and a VERY important Patriots Day coming up...and he's talking contract.

The most disappointing thing is it shouldn't even be a surprise. It's what he's always done.

I take that back...the MOST disappointing thing is how much the fans enable, encourage, and seemingly SUPPORT this behavior. 

The Red Sox were around for 100 years before Ortiz. They will be around for more than 100 after.

It's not all about him.

[/QUOTE]GREAT post......Oh my gooooodness, how can anyone question some of the "T-BALLERS" on this board on why the SOX should just sit back and keep paying PAPI 15MIL per year FOR EVAA !!!

[/QUOTE]

Not "FOR EVAA." Just two or three more years. He's earned it in spades! Jeebuz, Bill... you act like it's coming out of your pocket. If the Sox agree to pay him, what does it have to do with you?

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

That may be, but Papi deserves every consideration here. O.K., three years might be a stretch but after the year he just had he's earned a two year deal IMO. Who else are you going to get that will give you the numbers he's put up for 15 mil? When you get right down to it every contract is a risk. If it were up to me, I wouldn't think twice about taking the risk on Senor Ortiz.

[/QUOTE]I respect your opinion.....  I certainly was "WRONG LAST YEAR"......   This certainly will be the "hot topic" going into  S T  !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

"I want more years"

"I want more money"

"I deserve more respect"

It's not all about him.

[/QUOTE]

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]I respect your opinion.....  I certainly was "WRONG LAST YEAR"......   This certainly will be the "hot topic" going into  S T  !!!

[/QUOTE]

It is about as certain to be a "hot topic" going into ST as his heel was last year Bill.  In other words, it will get some shine in these coming weeks from Shaughnessy and anyone else digging for dirt because people like you eat it up.  But, David, as always, will let go of the dirty money business and PLAY BALL when the Jet Blue Park gates swing open.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

It is about money.

It is about respect.

Papi deserves both.

[/QUOTE]

He does. He does not have to run his mouth to the press about it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

"I want more years"

"I want more money"

"I deserve more respect"

It's not all about him.

[/QUOTE]

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It is about as certain to be a "hot topic" going into ST as his heel was last year Bill.  In other words, it will get some shine in these coming weeks from Shaughnessy and anyone else digging for dirt because people like you eat it up.  But, David, as always, will let go of the dirty money business and PLAY BALL when the Jet Blue Park gates swing open.

[/QUOTE]"In SPACEMAN I TRUST" !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]"In SPACEMAN I TRUST" !!!

[/QUOTE]

Bill. to date, this is by far your smartest baseball-related decision of 2014.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Blah blah blah blah. He can complain all he wants. He signed the two year contact last year. I think they wait and see how the season goes. If he opts for free agency again next off-season, I'm sure he'll see that the Red Sox are his best place for money and stability. 

Maybe he should test the market. Crickets.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Blah blah blah blah. He can complain all he wants. He signed the two year contact last year. I think they wait and see how the season goes. If he opts for free agency again next off-season, I'm sure he'll see that the Red Sox are his best place for money and stability. 

Maybe he should test the market. Crickets.

[/QUOTE]

'Bout sums it up.  He is making a little noise, but he doesn't have any leverage and it is a forgone conclusion that it will play out exactly how you lay it out here.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

"I want more years"

"I want more money"

"I deserve more respect"

It's not all about him.

[/QUOTE]

I am not sure why he has to bring his issues to the media.  jacoby never discussed it openingly.  Yea, it is painful to hear but everyone has their own style.  But you cannot blame the guy, the sox trade away a very inexpensive Iggy for a not really needed Peavy who makes what, 15 million?  I hope they reach a contract that keeps Ortiz here, but I am tired of the no respect song.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

These off-season public-airing of money-biz snaps that Papi has now made an annual occurence are certainly not his finest moments.  No doubt.

One reason it has been near "annual" is the s-h-o-r-t contracts offered to Papi over recent years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Here we go.....

Ortiz threads 2014

Laughing

FWIW.... I am 100% Team Ortiz

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It is about money.

It is about respect.

Papi deserves both.

[/QUOTE]

He does. He does not have to run his mouth to the press about it.

[/QUOTE]

No, he doesn't have to, but so what? The guy wants an extension and went public with it. Wow! Blasphemy!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

These off-season public-airing of money-biz snaps that Papi has now made an annual occurence are certainly not his finest moments.  No doubt.

One reason it has been near "annual" is the s-h-o-r-t contracts offered to Papi over recent years.

[/QUOTE]

if he does not like the shorter contracts, then he has the freedom to test the market for longer ones.  I seem to remember he was happy with this last two year deal when both agreed to the terms. How about for once he finishes out a contract before crying to the media.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

We are talking about a guy that pulled this team together at a critical point of the series.

Give him the money, let him tell the world he wants more money.... he deserves it. Obviously, the press is going to question him and ask what he expects/wants... why shouldn't he answer them honestly. At least he doesn't beat around the bush.

#TeamOrtiz

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

[QUOTE]

I respect your opinion.....  I certainly was "WRONG LAST YEAR"......   This certainly will be the "hot topic" going into  S T  !!!

[/QUOTE]

Bill... kudos to you for being man enough to admit you were wrong.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

"I want more years"

"I want more money"

"I deserve more respect"

It's not all about him.

[/QUOTE]

I am not sure why he has to bring his issues to the media.  jacoby never discussed it openingly.  Yea, it is painful to hear but everyone has their own style.  But you cannot blame the guy, the sox trade away a very inexpensive Iggy for a not really needed Peavy who makes what, 15 million?  I hope they reach a contract that keeps Ortiz here, but I am tired of the no respect song.

[/QUOTE]

The difference between Jacoby and David is that jacoby was relatively young and approaching free agency and was basically assured a gargantuan long-term deal.  David Ortiz, due to his age, is grasping for an unforseeable tomorrow.  His bringing it public is a desparate tactic in a situation in which he has zero leverage.  That is not condoning or justifying the way he has handled these off-season situations.  Just saying that there is a big difference in the respective Ellsbury and Ortiz situations which makes it apples and oranges in terms of how they have handled it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Ty Law talks about money and gets hammered.

Nomar does the same and gets CRUCIFIED.

People trash the Sox for 'wasting' money on the last year with Schilling.

Right now, there is a debate going on because Richard Sherman seemingly put himself above his team.

But Ortiz CONSTANTLY makes it all about him, and people just go "oooo, Big Papi...whatever you say! You're bigger tan the team, or city!"

"This is our fking ceetee"

Remember that? Lester PROVES it. Pedroia PROVES it. Ortiz builds restaurants in Miami. He loves the celebrity, but he will NOT be one of the guys that lives here once his playing days are over.

People can make all the excuses they want for deplorable behavior. The last time I've heard such insane defending of such selfish actions were after "The Decision" where people tried to defend Lebron handling it as he did.

Ortiz' handling of this is completely wrong. This is not an individual s p o r t. Yes, I liked 2 WS Championships (they won in 2013, and I haven't been a stong supporter wince about 2010, so I willingly admit that's for others), but it's NOT all about him. He didn't bat 1-9, pitch, and play the field. 

This stuff sickens me. THe fans, I was right in calling them the worst part. He's done EVERYTHING s h o r t of hold out. If he does that, I have no doubt you same sheep would defend that too. Go buy bricks, I'm sure they'll still sell you more.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

He earned a 2 year "Thank You" contract.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

Ty Law talks about money and gets hammered.

Nomar does the same and gets CRUCIFIED.

People trash the Sox for 'wasting' money on the last year with Schilling.

Right now, there is a debate going on because Richard Sherman seemingly put himself above his team.

But Ortiz CONSTANTLY makes it all about him, and people just go "oooo, Big Papi...whatever you say! You're bigger tan the team, or city!"

"This is our fking ceetee"

Remember that? Lester PROVES it. Pedroia PROVES it. Ortiz builds restaurants in Miami. He loves the celebrity, but he will NOT be one of the guys that lives here once his playing days are over.

People can make all the excuses they want for deplorable behavior. The last time I've heard such insane defending of such selfish actions were after "The Decision" where people tried to defend Lebron handling it as he did.

Ortiz' handling of this is completely wrong. This is not an individual s p o r t. Yes, I liked 2 WS Championships (they won in 2013, and I haven't been a stong supporter wince about 2010, so I willingly admit that's for others), but it's NOT all about him. He didn't bat 1-9, pitch, and play the field. 

This stuff sickens me. THe fans, I was right in calling them the worst part. He's done EVERYTHING s h o r t of hold out. If he does that, I have no doubt you same sheep would defend that too. Go buy bricks, I'm sure they'll still sell you more.

[/QUOTE]

Everybody has their bugaboos, and I understand the criticism of David's "negotiating tactics".  They are knee-jerk and no good can come of them.  However, I don't get this jump to "its all about him".  What he is doing to lobby for some job security has zero negative impact on the club, as evidenced by previous years' public-lobbying.  maybe it is a minor headache for Cherrington as he eats his waffles and reads David's statements, but thats about it.  I don't see how this affects team morale or chemistry one iota.  Hold out?  No, he didn't hold out.  in fact, the last few seasons in which this admittedly-annoying behavior manifested itself, he came into Ft. Myers gung-ho and ready to work and was all Red Sox once the spikes were laced-up.  Gonna be the same this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

[QUOTE]

"I want more years"

"I want more money"

"I deserve more respect"

It's not all about him.

[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

[QUOTE]

"I want more years"

"I want more money"

"I deserve more respect"

It's not all about him.

[/QUOTE]

The most idiotic post of 2014 (so far)