How You Became A Sox Fan??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colosoxman. Show Colosoxman's posts

How You Became A Sox Fan??

I became a Sox fan in 1967, no team in Colorado until 1993 so because I was a Celtics fan it seemed natural to root for the Sox during the Impossible Dream Season, I had my share of frustrations until 2004. Just wanting to hear some of your stories.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from norm9340. Show norm9340's posts

Re: How You Became A Sox Fan??

The Braves left town....

In Response to How You Became A Sox Fan??:
    [QUOTE]  I became a Sox fan in 1967, no team in Colorado until 1993 so because I was a Celtics fan it seemed natural to root for the Sox during the Impossible Dream Season, I had my share of frustrations until 2004. Just wanting to hear some of your stories.
    Posted by Colosoxman[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

For me, it was the 1975 team.  I was living in Northern California and a Giants fan.  However, I had been born in New England and was spending the Summer with my grandparents in Milford, New Hampshire.  My grandfather and I would watch the games that were televised and when they weren't, we would listen on the radio...sometimes on a little red transistor radio in his little boat while fishing New Hampshire's ponds for bass and pickerel in the evenings or on weekends.  I fell in love with that team and when I returned to California at the end of the Summer I was a Sox fan to the core.

Moved back to New Hampshire in 1978, but that season is another story...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

actually  there  were 2 reasons

just kidding, it was my dad that MADE me a sox fan

and then a few yrs later

1 thurman munson at bat  turned me into a NYY fan

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]  I became a Sox fan in 1967, no team in Colorado until 1993 so because I was a Celtics fan it seemed natural to root for the Sox during the Impossible Dream Season, I had my share of frustrations until 2004. Just wanting to hear some of your stories.

Age "one" 1960, even though I didn't know it yet.  My dad wouldn't have it any other way around our house.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

In 1946 I was 6 years old, and I had a neighbor named Eli who 15 years old and a huge Yankee fan. He would listen every day to the Yankee games on the radio on his front porch, and always eat eclairs and drink Pepsi. Now I must say at this point that [no disrespect intended] that Eli was Jewish and I was a poor little Italin boy[my mother could hardly afford Kool-aid]. Eli would let me listen to the game on the radio, but would never offer me a drink of Pepsi or give me a bite of his eclair and I could only listen to the game from the sidewalk, and never from the porch.
    Now the only two player's I really knew were Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio, so because of Eli I started  rooting for the Sox. Now if Eli had been a Sox fan, then I would be a Yankee fan today, but I am very happy with the way things turned out. I haven't seen Eli since the day he graduated from high school,, But I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to Eli for helping me make that decision. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Well I grew up in Revere MA and just loved playing baseball as a kid, so put 2 + 2 together...not to mention that the '67 Impossible Dream season happened when I was 11...that kind of sticks with you, if you know what I mean!

Plus, I would think many here are Red Sox fans, as I am, for the simple reason that the Sox are the hometown team! That fact tends to lead people to root for a particular team too, wouldn't you think?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

YAZ and my Dad!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In Response to Re: How You Became A Sox Fan??:
    [QUOTE]In 1946 I was 6 years old, and I had a neighbor named Eli who 15 years old and a huge Yankee fan. He would listen every day to the Yankee games on the radio on his front porch, and always eat eclairs and drink Pepsi. Now I must say at this point that [no disrespect intended] that Eli was Jewish and I was a poor little Italin boy[my mother could hardly afford Kool-aid]. Eli would let me listen to the game on the radio, but would never offer me a drink of Pepsi or give me a bite of his eclair and I could only listen to the game from the sidewalk, and never from the porch. Now the only two player's I really knew were Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio, so because of Eli I started  rooting for the Sox. Now if Eli had been a Sox fan, then I would be a Yankee fan today, but I am very happy with the way things turned out. I haven't seen Eli since the day he graduated from high school,, But I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to Eli for helping me make that decision. 
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colosoxman. Show Colosoxman's posts

[QUOTE]In 1946 I was 6 years old, and I had a neighbor named Eli who 15 years old and a huge Yankee fan. He would listen every day to the Yankee games on the radio on his front porch, and always eat eclairs and drink Pepsi. Now I must say at this point that [no disrespect intended] that Eli was Jewish and I was a poor little Italin boy[my mother could hardly afford Kool-aid]. Eli would let me listen to the game on the radio, but would never offer me a drink of Pepsi or give me a bite of his eclair and I could only listen to the game from the sidewalk, and never from the porch. Now the only two player's I really knew were Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio, so because of Eli I started  rooting for the Sox. Now if Eli had been a Sox fan, then I would be a Yankee fan today, but I am very happy with the way things turned out. I haven't seen Eli since the day he graduated from high school,, But I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to Eli for helping me make that decision. 
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

Great Story HA HA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How You Became A Sox Fan?? :
    Posted by boboinfla[/QUOTE]

I goofed  on my first thread, but I too became a Sox fan in 1946. It was all about Tedy Ballgame. I was living  in Michigan and the Tiger anouncer really was a   Teddy fan. As a result I became an instant Sawks fan. I acually live and die with the team. I saw him play in old Briggs stadium several times and the right fiield stans were full one hour before the game just to watch the Splinter take BP. Greastet I ever saw. He lived near me in Fla and I met him several times and got chills when I said "there was the greatest hitter of all time". Not many have seen him play, but he certainly proved he  was the greatest ever.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from f1502nv. Show f1502nv's posts

It all started in 2001, Although I would say it really took off in 2003, being a little 15 year old from Canada it was the first year we could get the Direct Tv MLB package...Illegally. The same year I discovered my first heart break. To this day I pride myself on being the biggest Sox fan North of the Border. Oh and how did I become a sox fan? Well at that point in time my Grandpa had been a fan for 55 years,65 now. His reason, He also listened to every game on the radio in a very small town in Manitoba. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Born in Boston, raised next to a baseball field. I live and breath sox 24/7. My first job was workin at the baseball card shop in Orleans on Cape Cod. I played ball on that field with a bunch of kids every day for the moment I could swing a bat and throw a ball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronho. Show ronho's posts

Glad to see that there are at least 2 others on here who go back to 46!! I walked into the local soda shop in a small NC town in Oct of 46 where the radio was blaring out one of the world series games. Just as I got to the fountain Dom Dimag hit a double off the monster and I was hooked for life!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Injection at birth to continue 4 generations of Sox fandom. (anti-Yankee vaccination as well.)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe----------. Show -The--Babe----------'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How You Became A Sox Fan?? : I goofed  on my first thread, but I too became a Sox fan in 1946. It was all about Tedy Ballgame. I was living  in Michigan and the Tiger anouncer really was a   Teddy fan. As a result I became an instant Sawks fan. I acually live and die with the team. I saw him play in old Briggs stadium several times and the right fiield stans were full one hour before the game just to watch the Splinter take BP. Greastet I ever saw. He lived near me in Fla and I met him several times and got chills when I said "there was the greatest hitter of all time". Not many have seen him play, but he certainly proved he  was the greatest ever.
    Posted by boboinfla[/QUOTE]

Nah....Ruth was the greatest ever.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I was born in 1956 and I became a Sox fan in the late 60's just after the Impossible Dream season.  I was able to pick up the games on the radio.  I was listening when Aparicio fell down in Detroit in 1972.  My first game at Fenway was in 1974.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MuellerTime19. Show MuellerTime19's posts

I was born.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

You can never argue with a 212 (area code). That speaks volumns.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I was born in Lowell 1950 I was meant to be a Red Sox fan for life

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]I was born.
    Posted by MuellerTime19[/QUOTE]

That was my answer.

I was born.

So I'll add. I was born and grew up in Hyde Park and loved Yaz and the Red Sox ever since I can remember. My first game was in 1969 when I was 5 -- I still have the program -- and the first team I really remember is the 1970 team. I don't remember 1967 but my early memories knew of 1967 if that makes sense.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

My mom loved Ted and then I loved Rice and Lynn.  1975 was it for me!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

1975 was probably my favorite year as a kid. I was at the right age. Lynn and Rice added excitement. And that team had most of my favorite players on it -- Yaz, Rico, Burleson, Griffin, Tiant, Lee, Fisk, Evans. What a great year.

I remember the 1972 disappointment and the 1974 September collapse, so 1975 was just fantastic.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]1975 was probably my favorite year as a kid. I was at the right age. Lynn and Rice added excitement. And that team had most of my favorite players on it -- Yaz, Rico, Burleson, Griffin, Tiant, Lee, Fisk, Evans. What a great year. I remember the 1972 disappointment and the 1974 September collapse, so 1975 was just fantastic.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

It sure was...right up until that last inning.

Johnson should never have taken Willoughby out!Wink

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

I met a spoiled brat in Yankee Stadium who was obnoxious and called himself Babe. The next day I became a Red Sox fan.