http://nesn.com/2012/11/report-marlins-wanted-will-middlebrooks-felix-doubront-xander-bogaerts-in-discussions-for-jose-reyes-josh-johnson/

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Would you do it?

No way!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Think this will shut the complainers up?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[duplicate post]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[duplicate post]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

I wouldn't do it, Middlebrooks and Bogarts will be stars one day. Who wants to be saddled with Reyes contract?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

That would have been downright retarded...s c r e w political correctness...RE-TAR-DED!

Toronto is taking a shot...good for them. What else were they going to do?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Yay new system!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

ibid

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

The Reyes contract was a really dumb contract.  Loria disposes of the worst years of the deal and everyone is calling him a thief and a demolition man.  The Sox divest themselves of their dumb contract (to Crawford) and extension (to Beckett) and everyone is hailing the Sox owners as genius.  There is a fine line here...

Oh, and the Sox got rid of their best hitter and GG 1Bman in order to divest themselves of the two bad contracts, to boot.  What will the Sox do with all their savings?  What will the Marlins do with theirs?  I will not be surprised to see both teams sit on the savings and maximize profits.  The difference is that the Marlins draw very poorly even when they are a winning team.  The Sox pretend to never draw poorly, but do so only when they are dismal and completely out of the hunt.  It makes far less sense, both ethically and financially, for the Sox to sit on their savings, IMO.  So why is Loria the bad guy and Ben C, et al not?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

The Reyes contract was a really dumb contract.  Loria disposes of the worst years of the deal and everyone is calling him a thief and a demolition man.  The Sox divest themselves of their dumb contract (to Crawford) and extension (to Beckett) and everyone is hailing the Sox owners as genius.  There is a fine line here...

Oh, and the Sox got rid of their best hitter and GG 1Bman in order to divest themselves of the two bad contracts, to boot.  What will the Sox do with all their savings?  What will the Marlins do with theirs?  I will not be surprised to see both teams sit on the savings and maximize profits.  The difference is that the Marlins draw very poorly even when they are a winning team.  The Sox pretend to never draw poorly, but do so only when they are dismal and completely out of the hunt.  It makes far less sense, both ethically and financially, for the Sox to sit on their savings, IMO.  So why is Loria the bad guy and Ben C, et al not?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The reason why no one batted an eye when the Sox unloaded their contracts was because the entire baseball world (except for a few individuals here) expect the Sox to rein vest the money they saved, not pocket it all.

No one thinks Loria is going to reinvest it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Dumb double posts...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

middlebrooks for johnson?  we need a pitcher, a quality one and unless you want to sign grienke, this is the only way were getting one - via trade....this may sound shocking to some of you red sox farm system fanboys but you actually have to give up something to get something in return....we have some decent hitting infield prospects - what we dont have for 2013 is q dominating pitcher...

no one knows what went on in negotiations (isnt that what you guys told me about pap??) but we know the end result....We got Toronto's last place manager, they got some very good players, including a pitcher we COVETED.....Ben loses again...sorry

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

middlebrooks for johnson?  we need a pitcher, a quality one and unless you want to sign grienke, this is the only way were getting one - via trade....this may sound shocking to some of you red sox farm system fanboys but you actually have to give up something to get something in return....we have some decent hitting infield prospects - what we dont have for 2013 is q dominating pitcher...

no one knows what went on in negotiations (isnt that what you guys told me about pap??) but we know the end result....We got Toronto's last place manager, they got some very good players, including a pitcher we COVETED.....Ben loses again...sorry

[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right. BUT, I'm not giving up a 'prospect' who has shown major league ability for a guy who has serious health concerns. If Johnson had been healthy for 5 years, I'd do it. Him missing significant time in 2, and only going over 200 innings once makes me want to keep the prospect rather than deal him. And nobody knows if it would have been an even swap, I suspect not. I'm willing to bet the Marlins were asking for more than just Middlebrooks, or would have, just for Johnsons. When they were fielding offers at the deadline they were asking for WAY too much. The Jays gave them exactly that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

im not demanding ben to reinvent free agency...i have modest aims...

sign papi..which he did (a no brainder)

sign ross...which for some reason is not being done despite his affordability/age/stats,

and of course get an ace or at least a strong 2....

if we dont sign grienke then we must trade pedroia, middlebrooks, or a combo of prospects for someone...there is simply no other we can compete in 2013 w/o that pitcher....

and even then we better hope lester/clay/lackey come back strong and papi continues to hit well

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]

im not demanding ben to reinvent free agency...i have modest aims...

sign papi..which he did (a no brainder)

sign ross...which for some reason is not being done despite his affordability/age/stats,

and of course get an ace or at least a strong 2....

if we dont sign grienke then we must trade pedroia, middlebrooks, or a combo of prospects for someone...there is simply no other we can compete in 2013 w/o that pitcher....

and even then we better hope lester/clay/lackey come back strong and papi continues to hit well

[/QUOTE]

Excuse me geo, so what makes you think Ross is affordable? Do you know his terms to sign a new deal?? Do you invest 3 years in this guy because I believe that is what he is trying to get.

I disagree about needing an ace at the expense of selling a part of the core of the everyday line-up. The Sox rotation needs another starter not necessarily an ace. Forget Greinke already, he's not coming here. If they can sign either Haren, A. Sanchez, McCarthy, Marcom or Kuroda they'll have a good rotation for 2013.

I'd like them to re-sign Ross too, if he agrees to a 2 year deal, and Sizemore on a one-year get yourself healthy deal and then Laroche or Napoli for 1B and let's see how they do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

dup

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I dont disagree with you, but Josh Johnsons injury history scares me.  He has perennial back issues.  Back issues dont seem to get better w age.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I dont disagree with you, but Josh Johnsons injury history scares me.  He has perennial back issues.  Back issues dont seem to get better w age.

[/QUOTE]
    and grienke's a mental case, and every player has their warts but at some point you have to take a chance...which is why i was never a Theo basher...the guy tried at least and although some of his signings were awful, he was active and alwayts trying...what i see from ben is just a lot of reaction to those failures but none of the successes....simply too cautious

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

lol, and they settled for Torontos scrubs

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]