2 Dustin Pedroia 2B
    3 Jacoby Ellsbury CF
    4 Adrian Gonzalez 1B/DH
    5 Carlos Beltran RF/DH
    6 Kevin Youkilis DH/1B
    7 Mark Reynold 3B
    8 Jarrod Saltalamacchia C
    9 Marco Scutaro SS

Bench: Jose Iglesias SS, Ryan Kalish OF, Oscar Tejada IF, Ryan Lavarnway C/DH, Reed Johnson OF

Rotation
    Jon Lester
    Josh Beckett
    Trevor Cahill (Trade)
    Clay Bucholz
    Edwin Jackson

BP: Alfredo Aceves, Felix Doubront, Franklin Moralres, Kyle Farnsworth, Daniel Bard, Jonathan Papelbon

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Re: I hope 2012 will look something like...

A third place finish at best roster IMO. Plus, we don't get Cahill (who are you proposing gets traded?), Papelbon will go via FA, suspect we keep Papi and you have 100-120 game tough guy Youk in there, Strike Three Mark Reynolds, Salty at C, .250 OBP Crawford leading off and essentially a pitching staff that will not have a single starter capable of delivering 120 innings other than Lester. Nor have you addressed all of the clubhouse issues by not including a true leader.

No, actually this is a fourth place roster.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

In Response to Re: I hope 2012 will look something like...:
    [QUOTE]A third place finish at best roster IMO. Plus, we don't get Cahill (who are you proposing gets traded?), Papelbon will go via FA, suspect we keep Papi and you have 100-120 game tough guy Youk in there, Strike Three Mark Reynolds, Salty at C, .250 OBP Crawford leading off and essentially a pitching staff that will not have a single starter capable of delivering 120 innings other than Lester. Nor have you addressed all of the clubhouse issues by not including a true leader. No, actually this is a fourth place roster.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Do you realize that this year's third place finish was one loss worse than second place? A huge difference. One game out of 162. You are very astute.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I give credit seannyboi for showing some restraint.  Usually his lineups look like yahoo fantasy teams...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to I hope 2012 will look something like...:
    [QUOTE]Lineup 1 Carl Crawford LF 2 Dustin Pedroia 2B 3 Jacoby Ellsbury CF 4 Adrian Gonzalez 1B/DH 5 Carlos Beltran RF/DH 6 Kevin Youkilis DH/1B 7 Mark Reynold 3B 8 Jarrod Saltalamacchia C 9 Marco Scutaro SS Bench: Jose Iglesias SS, Ryan Kalish OF, Oscar Tejada IF, Ryan Lavarnway C/DH, Reed Johnson OF Rotation Jon Lester Josh Beckett Trevor Cahill (Trade) Clay Bucholz Edwin Jackson BP: Alfredo Aceves, Felix Doubront, Franklin Moralres, Kyle Farnsworth, Daniel Bard, Jonathan Papelbon
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]
    Whom should the Red Sox trade for Mark Reynolds (who by one measure* was the worst defensive thirdbaseman in baseball last year)? I'd rather take my chances by throwing Ryan Lavarnway at third base.

Reynolds is under contract for 2012 with a club option for 2013.

Whom should the Red Sox trade for 23-year-old Trevor Cahill, an effective starter with a team-friendly contract through 2015?

* Ultimate Zone Rating as reported by FanGraphs

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I hope 2012 will look something like... : Do you realize that this year's third place finish was one loss worse than second place? A huge difference. One game out of 162. You are very astute.
    Posted by Rutland76[/QUOTE]
    OMG, seriously...totally my bad, I had no idea how to look at and determine standings. Thanks for the clarification.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Yep, Red Sox were seven tenths of one percent worse than Tampa Bay and that was decided on the last pitch in the last game of the year and TB won thanks to a game tying HR by a .162 hitter with one strike remaining. The difference between these two teams was huge. Yes, fourth place next year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]Yep, Red Sox were seven tenths of one percent worse than Tampa Bay and that was decided on the last pitch in the last game of the year and TB won thanks to a game tying HR by a .162 hitter with one strike remaining. The difference between these two teams was huge. Yes, fourth place next year.
    Posted by Rutland76[/QUOTE]
    It could be fifth if the O's improve.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I hope 2012 will look something like... : It could be fifth if the O's improve.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

And, it could be first if the Sox improve.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I hope 2012 will look something like... : And, it could be first if the Sox improve.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    Exactly, that's why they play 162 games. I will doggedly stick to my opinion that we simply do not have what it takes, that impending doom is right there around the corner until the ALE flag is waving over Fenway.

And to the lineup proposed in this thread, no flag will wave.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I hope 2012 will look something like... : And, it could be first if the Sox improve.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I hope 2012 will look something like... :
    Posted by dustcover[/QUOTE]

Ryan Kalish? Reed Johnson?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I think your team have exceed over the Luxury tax payroll limit!!!  Because right now Boston probably only have 55 millions dollars payroll to spend on for this coming winter season before going thru the abritration cases for 6 to 8 possible players. Meaning after the abritration cases are done, there will be like 14 million to 16 millions dollars additional raises for possible 6 players while other two could be non-tender. Resigning Papelbon and adding new 4 to 5 guys that you mentioned above are going exceed over 45 millions dollars combined.  Meaning that is close to 60 plus millions dollars that could be add on the 2012 payroll.

So therefore, your dream roster isnt going to happen!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]I think your team have exceed over the Luxury tax payroll limit!!!  Because right now Boston probably only have 55 millions dollars payroll to spend on for this coming winter season before going thru the abritration cases for 6 to 8 possible players. Meaning after the abritration cases are done, there will be like 14 million to 16 millions dollars additional raises for possible 6 players while other two could be non-tender. Resigning Papelbon and adding new 4 to 5 guys that you mentioned above are going exceed over 45 millions dollars combined.  Meaning that is close to 60 plus millions dollars that could be add on the 2012 payroll. So therefore, your dream roster isnt going to happen!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

While I agree with everything you said, you provided far more reason than was required to refute his roster.

Then again, I've over-posted, too...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I love it.  You get a great young arm like Cahill and Reynolds without losing any of your current roster.  They should have hired you instead of Cherington, apparently you have magic on your side.

Realistically:

Pedroia 2B
    Ellsbury CF
    Youk DH/3B
    Gonzalez 1B
    Cuddyer 3B/DH
    Crawford LF
    Salty/Lavarnway C
    Kalish RF
    Scutaro SS

Beckett
    Lester
    Buchholz
    Aceves
    Wang/Harden/Tazawa/Doubront/Wake

Bell, Bard, Jenks, Madson, Morales,  Wheeler, Doubront/T. Miller/Atchison in pen.

The offense should be just about as productive as Crawford likely gets better while Ellsbury regresses.  Gonzalez probably doesn't hit for as much average, but might see more power and walks keep his OPS the same.  Youk should be better, making up for the fact that Cuddyer is not as productive as Ortiz.  Kalish cannot be any worse than the RF production was this past year.

Meanwhile, the starting pitching is very good 1 - 4, with a combination of seasoned and young arms filling in the #5 - #7 slots.  The bullpen is better, with Bell and Madson over Papelbon and Albers, and deeper.  And the Sox net 2 extra draft picks, unless Papelbon and Ortiz both sign with the same team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I love it.  You get a great young arm like Cahill and Reynolds without losing any of your current roster.  They should have hired you instead of Cherington, apparently you have magic on your side. Realistically: Pedroia 2B Ellsbury CF Youk DH/3B Gonzalez 1B Cuddyer 3B/DH Crawford LF Salty/Lavarnway C Kalish RF Scutaro SS Beckett Lester Buchholz Aceves Wang/Harden/Tazawa/Doubront/Wake Bell, Bard, Jenks, Madson, Morales,  Wheeler, Doubront/T. Miller/Atchison in pen. The offense should be just about as productive as Crawford likely gets better while Ellsbury regresses.  Gonzalez probably doesn't hit for as much average, but might see more power and walks keep his OPS the same.  Youk should be better, making up for the fact that Cuddyer is not as productive as Ortiz.  Kalish cannot be any worse than the RF production was this past year. Meanwhile, the starting pitching is very good 1 - 4, with a combination of seasoned and young arms filling in the #5 - #7 slots.  The bullpen is better, with Bell and Madson over Papelbon and Albers, and deeper.  And the Sox net 2 extra draft picks, unless Papelbon and Ortiz both sign with the same team.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

par,

I like Cuddyer in RF or DH but at 3B he hasn't done very well throughout his career.  We may take a shot at Harden again and I do think Kalish will be part of our future.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

You trade Youk before you play him at DH, he just cause so many problems with his teammates, before this year and Ellsbury, and is always hurt.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Is Youk really that big a cancer, as some have insisted, or is this just more hype to justify the collapse (which was due mostly to some wretched pitching, both from the starters and from Bard and at the end Papelbon, as well)?  I am not reading that Youk must go because his teammates hate him and/or he his too much of an impediment to team harmony.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Craze,
    I'll be honest.  In my ideal world, Middlebrooks would have a great spring and be given the job of playing 3b.  Youk would DH with Cuddyer taking some time there, some time in the OF, and maybe a few games at 3B as part of getting Middlebrooks some rest in the dog days, when most rookies hit a wall.  But I would NOT sign Cuddyer if he wants more than part-time and NOT if he commands so much money that the Sox have to play cheap in trying to rebuild the bullpen.

In my supposed scenario, the Sox free up about 39 million, letting Papi, Papelbon and Drew go.  that gives them about 10 for Cuddyer and another 29 to sign two reclamation projects as SP and two top tier pitchers for the bullpen (Madson and Bell?).  That seems doable, but if Cuddyer wants more than 10 million/yr or too many years (2 with and option), the Sox should lok for another RH bat who can DH and perhaps play some outfield in a pinch.  Cuddyer is attractive because he can play the hot corner as well, even if not all that well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Realistically, I expect 2012 to look something like this:
    CF Ells
    LF Crawford
    1B Gonzo
    2B Pedey
    DH Papi
    3B Youk
    RF Kalish/Linares
    C Salty/Lavarnaway
    SS Scut

Rotation:
    Beckett
    Lester
    Buchholz
    Aceves
    Wang? Doubront Tazawa FA

Bullpen:
    Bard Pap Wheeler Atchison Hill Jenks FA Albers

Bench:
    Lavarnaway Linares Aviles Lowrie

Now if Youk is in shape and hitting, he and Lowrie could be packaged up for a better 5th starter, possibly with Lars Anderson, who has to be coming up on minor league free agency anyway. So the rotation could conceivably better than the one I've put forth.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to I hope 2012 will look something like...:
    [QUOTE]Lineup 1 Carl Crawford LF 2 Dustin Pedroia 2B 3 Jacoby Ellsbury CF 4 Adrian Gonzalez 1B/DH 5 Carlos Beltran RF/DH 6 Kevin Youkilis DH/1B 7 Mark Reynold 3B 8 Jarrod Saltalamacchia C 9 Marco Scutaro SS Bench: Jose Iglesias SS, Ryan Kalish OF, Oscar Tejada IF, Ryan Lavarnway C/DH, Reed Johnson OF Rotation Jon Lester Josh Beckett Trevor Cahill (Trade) Clay Bucholz Edwin Jackson BP: Alfredo Aceves, Felix Doubront, Franklin Moralres, Kyle Farnsworth, Daniel Bard, Jonathan Papelbon
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

FACT .....Iglesias will not be on bench as backup.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Who would you prefer to have as your DH---Youk, Mark Reynolds, Cuddyer or Papi?

The O's need a first baseman--if you feel Youk is over the hill-trade him for Mark Reynolds. There are defensive replacements for Reynolds at third or use him as your DH sitting before or behind AGon in the lineup. He strikes out a lot but he also hits a lot of dingers and drives in runs.

Personally I like Youk as my DH---he can hit, hit with power and he can be a position player for the 9 inter-league games played in NL parks.

My player acquisition--I like Reed Johnson in one of the proposed lineups but if I had my choice I would choose Cuddyer.

For pitching I would add Bell or Farnsworth and Madson to the pen. Pap will move on to Philly, IMHO. I hope  Morales, Hill, Albers or Atch and Bard complete the pen.

Starters: Lester, Buch, Doubrount, Cahill(interesting), perhaps Aceves(if that's what he wants) and BenCh will find another, perhaps ZamBran from the Cubs as Comp. Perhaps a young starter from the Braves or Houston or the Angels in return for Beckett.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

11 Pitchers? You are dreaming.