I Knew Cleveland Was Overrated

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Re: I Knew Cleveland Was Overrated

Tampa is also overrated

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Maybe the sox are pretty good. Nice to see them taking two out of three on the road from Cleveland.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

I said that the Red Sox would blow by Tampa and NY, back when they were in last place, if they had a 3rd solid starter to step and join Lester and Buch, and they all 3 stayed healthy for most all of the season. Beckett stepped up after the embarrassing 2010 fatgate, and the Red Sox are now in the process of blowing by NY and Tampa. The offense was already there, but AGon simply makes it that much bettter than at anytime in years.

Unless one of the core players (Youk, Pedroia, AGon, Ortiz, Papelbon, Lester, Buch or Lester) hit the long term DL, the Red Sox will win the AL East, with ease.

Every year, people start threads about pretender teams, with Cleveland (Central is a much weaker division but should Cleveland somehow upset Detroit and win it they will go no place in the ALDS) and Tampa and Baltimore, it was Toronto a year or two ago, leading the list of early pretender teams. The Tampa pen will not last through dog days, and their better young pitchers who have been up in the majors for more than a year or two will become more familiar and easier to hit as the season goes along. Tampa does not have the offensive weapons, even with the young call-ups, to survive dog days and continue as a true contender.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A pretty extravagant claim in the OP.

Today the Sox murdered a guy coming off the DL in his first start since April 11.  Think John Lackey's next start (or most of his starts this year).  

The first two games were tight--and split.  

Cleveland still has the best record in MLB, supported by an astronomical W-L at home, and what these three games show is how good the Sox are, not how bad the Indians are. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

How could the Indians be overrated?  They are a team that no one talked about before the season, who now have the best record in baseball.  If the claim is they have been playing over their heads, well time will tell, but you can't say they are over-rated. 

As for Tampa, they were supposed to fade in 2008 right up until they won game 7 of the ALCS.  I'm pretty sure they were supposed to fade last year too.  Fool me once......

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

"If Pedroia doesn't get hurt, Monday's game is a win and this is a sweep"

Can't argue with that kind of hypothetical soundness. 

Cleveland's schedule does get tougher in the coming weeks, so more losses should be expected but with that division so full of mediocrity, if they can play .500 ball through the tough stretches they're gonna be alright.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Cleveland has nowhere to go but down but I think the are for reaL...PLUS THEIR DIVISION IS TERRIBLE

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

To be "for real", a team has to be a championship contender. The Indians are not for real.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: I Knew Cleveland Was Overrated:
    [QUOTE]To be "for real", a team has to be a championship contender. The Indians are not for real.
    Posted by SoxSoldRed[/QUOTE]

Four years ago the Sox needed 7 games to beat the Indians in the ALCS, which made Cleveland a contender in 2007.   Right now they have the biggest lead of any AL division leader, so they are absolutely contenders.  Could they fade?  Sure, but, as others have said, they are also in a weak division. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

You can't tell Cleveland players w/o a scorecard ( Who's that guy?). the only players I recognized were the Cabrera boys and Shoo. The talent on the team is average at best. However, they're young and who knows how good they may turn out to be? At this point, they may be able to win an awful Central Division but, don't expect much from them in the playoffs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Four years ago the Sox needed 7 games to beat the Indians in the ALCS, which made Cleveland a contender in 2007

This is not the same caliber Indian team.

The O's were out of the gates early and were pretenders.

Where the Indians are in a weak division does not make them a contender. They are not contenders, and will be eliminated in short order if they make the playoffs. If I had to put odds on it, I'd say that the Indians will not win the weak center. In other words, they will fold.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In 2006 STL won the worst division in baseball with basically a .500 record and then won the world series.  Conclusion, a contender is any team who is contending to be in the post season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'm not sure if overrated is the right term. They're overachievers and during this fast start, that has been the consensus. No analyst ever suggested that they are a great team, just that they're playing great baseball at the moment.

Analysts have said the Indians could be in contention for the Divison until the end, but that's based as much as the state of the other teams as it is on the Indians themselves.

And just because the Sox beat them in a series 2 of 3, including today's rout, it doesn't necessarily mean they're overrated. No one ever said they're better than Boston, so the Red Sox should have taken the series. Also, one blowout doesn't mean anything one way or the other.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I am not sure overrated is the right word, because I don't think anybody had bought into that they were as good as their record. Perhaps the phrase you are looking for is "knew Cleveland's record over stated how good they are."

But they are a lot like the 2010 Rays. They have gone on a streak where they are hitting as a team 60 points lower than they are hitting with RISP. That always evens out.

For Tampa it meant they won one more game from May forward than the injury riddled 2010 RS. In their divion this big lead they have built with the run makes their chances to get to the post season is pretty good.

And when you only need to win 11 games to win it all, to quote Kevin Millar "anything can happen."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: I Knew Cleveland Was Overrated:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sure if overrated is the right term. They're overachievers and during this fast start, that has been the consensus. No analyst ever suggested that they are a great team, just that they're playing great baseball at the moment. Analysts have said the Indians could be in contention for the Divison until the end, but that's based as much as the state of the other teams as it is on the Indians themselves.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Well look at the division.  MINN has buried themselves.  We all know it is marathon etc... but the Twins are 5 miles behind and are playing like they think it is October, they will need people to come back to the pack to have any chance.  Hard to imagine the Royals going too far over .500.  The White Sox are always kind of an enigma.  On paper the rotation is good and the record would be a lot better if the BP hadn't blown so many.  They also started poorly last year, so maybe they can turn it around.  The Tigers may be the obvious choice to catch CLE but they have real problems on the back end of the rotation and really need another bat or 2 I 'd say. 

If Cleveland plays .500 baseball the next 3 months, they'll be right there in September.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

It will come down to pitching. And the Whitesox have the edge. The Indians surprised out of the gate - flying under the radar with a re-tooled, rebuild and some good fits.
    But their starting pitching will have issues come the dog days. And their BP will feel the crunch. My bread is on the Whitesox to take that division.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

...you're forgetting the obligatory peavey injury.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brian1976. Show Brian1976's posts

Cleveland is overrated and so is Tampa?  Show me anyone who picked them to be where they are at this point.  Overrated would be the New York Yankees, who will not make the playoffs with the over the hill lineup they have.  Yes, for you Yankee trolls they are in first place, so post that while you can, sizzlechests....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Just a reminder for those who are quick to bury the Indians.  Grady Sizemore has only played 18 games this season (the Indians broadcast said he should be back on Friday vs the Rays) and they have been without Travis Hafner the past week.  Both those guys have an OPS above .950.  They may not be the best team in baseball as their record suggests, but I don't think they will fold unless they have a major injury. 

The Sox just took 2 of 3, on the road, against the team with the best record in baseball, and a team that was 18-4 at home prior to the series, and some people want to downplay it.  I say enjoy it. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

The order in the standings will change dramatically by the end of dog days. Some people simply pay no attention to baseball history. The Indians are pretenders, even if they benefit from having KC in the division. The White Sox, Tigers and Twins will start putting some dents in the Indians. Should the Indians hang on, I don't think they will, they will be easily bounced out of the playoffs. No, this is not the 2007 Indians.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Isn't every team overrated now playing the Sox?  At least they will sure make it look that way. They are not the same team that started the season. They've really come together. IMO