I now regret using a very bad word

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I now regret using a very bad word

Anyone remember the expression (tied to the events at Lexington on April 19, 1775), "the gunfire heard round the world?"  That word gunfire is of course the wrong word, but On the Front Burner apparently does not allow the right word because, I guess, it is a very bad word.   I tried to say the Sox traded Iglesias last year to have a better "gunfire" (you know the actual word I used) at the playoffs last year and was told I had to use a more discrete word. 

There used to be an expression, "the inmates are running the asylum."  In our case, I think it's the software that's in charge. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: I now regret using a very bad word

you should be s|-|ot for using such bad language!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

The moderators have a very sh-ort fuse these days. Wink

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

<sigh> 

I remember the good old days, a year ago, before they "improved" this site.  Back when the gold stars worked, back when you could actually send someone a PM, and back when it wasn't moderated by people with (apparently) a limited knowledge of the English language and it's double and triple meanings for the same words.

"Those were the days, my friend.  We thought they'd never end..".  Cry

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

We have come a long way from the days when we could not type out the last name of Chien-Ming the one-time Yankees ace.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Anyone remember the expression (tied to the events at Lexington on April 19, 1775), "the gunfire heard round the world?"  That word gunfire is of course the wrong word, but On the Front Burner apparently does not allow the right word because, I guess, it is a very bad word.   I tried to say the Sox traded Iglesias last year to have a better "gunfire" (you know the actual word I used) at the playoffs last year and was told I had to use a more discrete word. 

There used to be an expression, "the inmates are running the asylum."  In our case, I think it's the software that's in charge. 

[/QUOTE]This is what happened to our BELOVED  SOFTLAW...... Softy had/has such goooood command of the English language & History that the  P C POLICE removed him from this board !!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]This is what happened to our BELOVED  SOFTLAW...... Softy had/has such goooood command of the English language & History that the  P C POLICE removed him from this board !!

[/QUOTE]

There are none so blind as those who won't see.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There are lots of sick puppies out there with decent writing skills and a knowlege of history.

Doesn't make them any less crazy.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The word referenced in the OP was mistakenly assumed to be off color by the software and not the mods. The programmer(s) literally has to go through a whole dictionary and the Urban dictionary and it must be a long tedious process.  It is easy to be critical of programmers when you never attempted it yourself.

[/QUOTE]

Hey, big guy.  Try reading the OP before you comment.  I said in the OP "I think it's the software that's in charge."  I do not agree this software is not fixable--in this case, easily fixable. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

This is my rifle.  This is my gun.  This is for fighting.  This is for fun.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

lol

Good one, Space.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I visit the message boards of many MLB teams, but this forum has the weakest software.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

The word referenced in the OP was mistakenly assumed to be off color by the software and not the mods. The programmer(s) literally has to go through a whole dictionary and the Urban dictionary and it must be a long tedious process.  It is easy to be critical of programmers when you never attempted it yourself.

[/QUOTE]

Proving that I have just a little too much time on my hands....

I just attempted to use the non-word, "sl-lurt" in this post and I wasn't allowed to use it.  That tells me that the program has been instructed to disallow any sequence of letters containing s, h, r, and t with a vowel in the middle of the word, regardless of the vowel.

Given the fact that either of the disallowed words that can be made by inserting o or i are quite innocuous I have to ask... WTX is going on??? 

This is apparently a one-size-fits-all solution to a problem that never existed.

PS.. it also won't allow the letter between E and G when used after WT.  

yep, entirely too much time on my hands.  :-(

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

For years on this forum I could not provide a FanGraphs link with the letters p-o-s commonly found consecutively in the link.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey, big guy.  Try reading the OP before you comment.  I said in the OP "I think it's the software that's in charge."  I do not agree this software is not fixable--in this case, easily fixable. 

[/QUOTE]

I was reacting to post #3.

[/QUOTE]

My post was clearly tongue-in-cheek. It's quite obvious these certain words are being blocked by some sort of program and not by a human.

But it's kind of embarrassing on BDC's part either way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I just attempted to use the non-word, "sl-lurt" in this post and I wasn't allowed to use it.  That tells me that the program has been instructed to disallow any sequence of letters containing s, h, r, and t with a vowel in the middle of the word, regardless of the vowel.

Given the fact that either of the disallowed words that can be made by inserting o or i are quite innocuous I have to ask... WTX is going on??? 

This is apparently a one-size-fits-all solution to a problem that never existed.

[/QUOTE]

No wonder you were so adamant about the Iglesias trade.  You knew you would not be able to discuss a SHoRTstop on this site....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No wonder you were so adamant about the Iglesias trade.  You knew you would not be able to discuss a SHoRTstop on this site....

[/QUOTE]

Laughing

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just found out the same thing Max ...  tried to say "not by a long ess eych oh tee" and was informed it was not allowed .... neither was "ess eych"

Oh well ...  cannot s n a t c h the victory from the jaws of defeat either ....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

I remember a couple of years ago on Sawxheads.com you could not type Josh Reddick without the dick being eliminated in the post.